Contact us

Salvador's approval - "Real music" or "Fast food music" game?

A-lister

Veteran
ButtHurt list:

image.php

p05192pd.jpg

Oh wow, original, I think you guys who can't take someone calling your fav out for what he actually did should try to expand your vocabulary, preferably you should get a sense of humor and don't take criticism against your fav so personal, he is just an ESC winner that acted disrespectful, he is not your family, but by the comments in here the topic seems very sensitive :lol:

A-lister

Veteran
Thread idea: "Some of my opinions that I could've just as easily expressed in the relevant country threads (and already have) but warrant their own thread because I just deserve it so much"

*yawn* the day you'd say even a remotely non-negative thing about me you'd be original...

How about actually playing the game? Nah, I doubt that would happen... if you could just weather your constant loath for me you did your part...

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Oh this game looks a lot of fun and much cool. I think i'll play it.

Real music:

:pt: 2017
:fi: 2017
:al: 2012
:ge: 2016
:mk: 2012 (Pop but comes from the most sincere place imaginable. Kaliopi's impromptu piano performance of this turned me into a mega fan.)
:sm: 2014 ("Music is about feelings". Salvador would approve of Valentina's performance then.)
:ua: 2016
:fi: 2015 (Controversial entry, but was as real as punk music gets. Whether you like it or not, the song was the essence of punk.)
:lv: 2015 (Debatable perhaps. I hope dear senpai Salvador would agree with me here. I think this is a great example of quality contemporary music from the heart.)

Eurovision 50s/60s/70s (probably near enough everything). Some of my faves:

:lu: 1975
:it: 1974
:yu: 1974

Good fast food music:

:al: 2010 (is the most juicy and delicious burger of all time)
:bg: 2012 (Salvador would not hate on fireworks if Sofi competed the same year as him. Slay queen.)
:sm: 2013
:ua: 2007
:no: 2017
:it: 2017
:bg: 2016
:mt: 2015 (ve all can be varrior)
:gr: 1993 (man, this burger is so darn tasty, I just can't stop after the first bite.)
:hr: 1999
:sm: 2016 (I've got to say "i'm addicted" to this Whopper.)

Bad fast food music (akin to one of Apu's hot dogs):

1F10-039.jpg

:se: 2017
:be: 2017 (though I think Salvador enjoyed this burger, as he and his sister did a small acoustic cover of it at ESC.... or perhaps they just wanted to cook it better?)

There's more for sure... but I was left so traumatized by the taste of those two, that i'm finding it hard to remember bad experiences before they came along.

Wow that was great fun. Would play again! 10/10 topic. Thank you. Finally a topic that feels like it was made just for me. It's been one of my dreams for a long time to tell the forum what I consider to be real music, without feeling like some elitist snob that shouldn't be here, but now you've made it easy for me, and I feel like i'm Salvador, and he just won Eurovision. Real music 4 ever x

A-lister

Veteran
Oh this game looks a lot of fun and much cool. I think i'll play it.

Real music:

:pt: 2017
:fi: 2017
:al: 2012
:ge: 2016
:mk: 2012 (Pop but comes from the most sincere place imaginable. Kaliopi's impromptu piano performance of this turned me into a mega fan.)
:sm: 2014 ("Music is about feelings". Salvador would approve of Valentina's performance then.)
:ua: 2016
:fi: 2015 (Controversial entry, but was as real as punk music gets. Whether you like it or not, the song was the essence of punk.)
:lv: 2015 (Debatable perhaps. I hope dear senpai Salvador would agree with me here. I think this is a great example of quality contemporary music from the heart.)

Eurovision 50s/60s/70s (probably near enough everything). Some of my faves:

:lu: 1975
:it: 1974
:yu: 1974

Good fast food music:

:al: 2010 (is the most juicy and delicious burger of all time)
:bg: 2012 (Salvador would not hate on fireworks if Sofi competed the same year as him. Slay queen.)
:sm: 2013
:ua: 2007
:no: 2017
:it: 2017
:bg: 2016
:mt: 2015 (ve all can be varrior)
:gr: 1993 (man, this burger is so darn tasty, I just can't stop after the first bite.)
:hr: 1999
:sm: 2016 (I've got to say "i'm addicted" to this Whopper.)

Bad fast food music (akin to one of Apu's hot dogs):

1F10-039.jpg

:se: 2017
:be: 2017 (though I think Salvador enjoyed this burger, as he and his sister did a small acoustic cover of it at ESC.... or perhaps they just wanted to cook it better?)

There's more for sure... but I was left so traumatized by the taste of those two, that i'm finding it hard to remember bad experiences before they came along.

Wow that was great fun. Would play again! 10/10 topic. Thank you. Finally a topic that feels like it was made just for me. It's been one of my dreams for a long time to tell the forum what I consider to be real music, without feeling like some elitist snob that shouldn't be here, but now you've made it easy for me, and I feel like i'm Salvador. Real music 4 ever x

:lol:

I can smell the sarcasm all the way to where I am, but atleast you can play along unlike the rest of the "don't touch my favs... touchy touchy" forum members... so as much as this was a nod at me, atleast it was a fun one and not an attack... thank you for "getting it" ;)

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
:lol:

I can smell the sarcasm all the way to where I am, but atleast you can play along unlike the rest of the "don't touch my favs" forum members... so as much as this was a nod at me, atleast it was a fun one and not an attack... thank you for "getting it" ;)

You threw the shade at my Salvador so you had to get it backxqueenbitch But at least we both had fun/some kind of kick from posting:lol: The worst part on my end is I actually do feel the same way as Salvador. I love what he said, but it was always going to rile people up, but I agree with what Tinchey said. I think it was probably more a stab at radio and media, who won't play or celebrate music like this. It is fast food music, made especially for the airwaves that we are made to listen to today. It's all about following the crowd. We listen for a month or two and then we throw it away. I know this from experience talking to pop fans. "Oh, I loved this but I don't like it anymore. It's so old" said like a year after the songs release. "Real music" should last and stay with us forever. Honest music should be celebrated more. Musicians who live and breathe what they do, and aren't trying to please anyone but themselves. Salvador just won with a record breaking score, the biggest, most watched music contest in the world, but would our biggest stations ever promote music like this? Absolutely not. Pop music is in such a bad place at the moment. I was thinking earlier on today actually, after waking to the tragic news that Chris Cornell from Soundgarden had died... in the 90s we had bands like Nirvana topping the charts. People were made to listen to so much more, and it was honest music. The plastic levels today are unreal, and this wave of awful smile into the camera "i'm so sincere" singer-songwriters make me want to puke. If people don't speak up about music then things will never change. What Salvador did was major awkward, but I respect him deeply for it.

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
You honestly think I would start the thread to throw shade because I don't like the entry or disagree with it as a winner? Then you clearly didn't get the point...
No no, I get your point old bean. You're latching onto something he said in order to attack him. I very much doubt you'd do this if you were a fan of his entry. I'm saying that disliking him and/or his entry is why you started the thread, but not necessarily why you disagree with what he said. I kinda disagreed with what he said. I didn't feel the need to start a thread to say so... :?

As much as people like to through around the pathetic "butthurt"-label at everyone that has a different opinion, trust me I'm not a child, I don't need to defend my favs by attacking other forum members who got different taste than mine, nor do I need to attack entrants I don't like... but again, this is a nod at Salvador's behavior and statements, not against his entry, if I would start a "sore-loser"-thread every time an entry won that I didn't like or rooted for, I would have to do that almost every year, which I obviously didn't... but other winners acted with grace (well more or less), I think this douche should be called out for what he is though... but we could do it in a fun way or a serious way... I prefer the latter, sadly his army minions can't take it I see...

His army minions :lol: You see, this is the hilarious hypocrisy. You are telling us that the reason you started this thread has nothing to do with your dislike of his entry. And yet, you lump together EVERYONE who disagrees with you as being Salvador fans! Are you the only person who can rise above liking/disliking an artist to judge comments they make? Or is it possible that people are disagreeing with you for other reasons? You expect us to believe that of you, yet you refuse to believe it of us. Now who is the arrogant one?

A-lister

Veteran
You threw the shade at my Salvador so you had to get it backxqueenbitch But at least we both had fun/some kind of kick from posting:lol: The worst part on my end is I actually do feel the same way as Salvador. I love what he said, but it was always going to rile people up, but I agree with what Tinchey said. I think it was probably more a stab at radio and media, who won't play or celebrate music like this. It is fast food music, made especially for the airwaves that we are made to listen to today. It's all about following the crowd. We listen for a month or two and then we throw it away. I know this from experience talking to pop fans. "Oh, I loved this but I don't like it anymore. It's so old" said like a year after the songs release. "Real music" should last and stay with us forever. Honest music should be celebrated more. Musicians who live and breathe what they do, and aren't trying to please anyone but themselves. Salvador just won with a record breaking score, the biggest, most watched music contest in the world, but would our biggest stations ever promote music like this? Absolutely not. Pop music is in such a bad place at the moment. I was thinking earlier on today actually, after waking to the tragic news that Chris Cornell from Soundgarden had died... in the 90s we had bands like Nirvana topping the charts. People were made to listen to so much more, and it was honest music. The plastic levels today are unreal, and this wave of awful smile into the camera "i'm so sincere" singer-songwriters make me want to puke. If people don't speak up about music then things will never change. What Salvador did was major awkward, but I respect him deeply for it.

I'm fine with people throwing shade at me if they do it in a tongue-n-cheek way, but pretty much all responses in this thread (except for yours and some other) didn't "get it", I don't hide the sarcasm or anything, but people respond in a personal way, pretty much resolving to personal attacks which is a bit sad.

I hear you, but while I agree to some point, I don't fully agree. I think music is meant for the whole spectrum of emotions, and a good Pop song is not less "real" than Salvador's entry, it also becomes a bit comical when he is pretty much a product like many of those "fast food music" acts (as he calls it), since he came from a VERY fast food concept = Idol and he didn't have any actual input in his work either...

A-lister

Veteran
No no, I get your point old bean. You're latching onto something he said in order to attack him. I very much doubt you'd do this if you were a fan of his entry. I'm saying that disliking him and/or his entry is why you started the thread, but not necessarily why you disagree with what he said. I kinda disagreed with what he said. I didn't feel the need to start a thread to say so... :?

His army minions :lol: You see, this is the hilarious hypocrisy. You are telling us that the reason you started this thread has nothing to do with your dislike of his entry. And yet, you lump together EVERYONE who disagrees with you as being Salvador fans! Are you the only person who can rise above liking/disliking an artist to judge comments they make? Or is it possible that people are disagreeing with you for other reasons? You expect us to believe that of you, yet you refuse to believe it of us. Now who is the arrogant one?

Well, you certainly made up your mind so no point I even respond right? Because you deliberately ignore it anyways (like most here) xshrug

The thread is started as a bit of a joke, a gibe at the winner based on his behavior and what he said, nothing more, nothing less. It has nothing to do with the winning entry or the fact that I didn't root for that song in particular, but you and others already made that assumption and apparently you know better than myself where I stand so I guess no point in adding anything. But for what it's worth... I barely rooted for most ESC winners in the past, but in this case it's the behavior of the winner that is striking, the rest I can take, but arrogance is not cute.

Yeah, the defense is high in this thread... it's a bit like "Leave Salvador Alone!!!!" behavior .. :lol: Hypocrisy? Have you even seen the responses in here? It's mostly different forms of attacks (some more subtle than others), funny though that I am the hypocrite when not answering to attacks in the most polite ways? People, just like yourself, assumed something from the get go and went from there instead of actually getting the sarcasm or hear me out, it's not as if you leave some room for a proper discussion (not that that was the purpose of the thread, but anyhow), sorry but my responses are simply on par with everyone else, I'm not a punching bag you know.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I'm fine with people throwing shade at me if they do it in a tongue-n-cheek way, but pretty much all responses in this thread (except for yours and some other) didn't "get it", I don't hide the sarcasm or anything, but people respond in a personal way, pretty much resolving to personal attacks which is a bit sad.

I hear you, but while I agree to some point, I don't fully agree. I think music is meant for the whole spectrum of emotions, and a good Pop song is not less "real" than Salvador's entry, it also becomes a bit comical when he is pretty much a product like many of those "fast food music" acts (as he calls it), since he came from a VERY fast food concept = Idol and he didn't have any actual input in his work either...

That's true but he went on that show when he was very young. When I was a child it was my dream to go on X Factor (I'm sure this will now be quoted one day when I win Eurovision with my experimental baroque-rock-jizz-jazz song and I give a speech saying "This is for real music"), and now today I wouldn't touch one of those shows with barge pole. In life we make mistakes and we learn from those mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes leave a scar, and it becomes very hard to escape when you've been stamped with something. Salvador is living, breathing proof of how bad and manipulative those shows are. He has experienced it first hand, and he's in actually the perfect place to speak out, because he lived it. It's unfair to hold the fact he was on Idol against the opinion he holds. He was on it 7 or 8 years ago as well. I've less sympathy for people who go on these shows today, and then whine about festivals not wanting them or the stigma now attached to their name. Salvador entered Idol as a kid, then left the flipping country to rebuild his life, which he's done successfully.

I agree that real music is for a whole spectrum of emotions as well, and I would hope Salvador does too. "Music is about feeling" he said. Today we've lost what music is about. What's more important is flashy things and fashion, and fitting into the crowd. Music should be about finding yourself. Today with young people it's about defining your social status. I remember being mocked as a teenager for listening to jazz.

Radio's will only play what's contrived. It's all about the $$$$$. Thankfully the internet exists today though, so it's easier to expose yourself to different things, at least in that way. "Amar Pelos Dois" winning Eurovision though was an absolutely humongous step, and it actually makes me sad and a bit confused how you're not celebrating it's merits. A song that's local, stays true to it's countries roots and is performed entirely in Portuguese, in a style of music we don't hear has just won your contest that you complain so often about how Americanized it's becoming. I think that's something to smile about.

A-lister

Veteran
That's true but he went on that show when he was very young. When I was a child it was my dream to go on X Factor (I'm sure this will now be quoted one day when I win Eurovision with my experimental baroque-rock-jizz-jazz song and I give a speech saying "This is for real music"), and now today I wouldn't touch one of those shows with barge pole. In life we make mistakes and we learn from those mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes leave a scar, and it becomes very hard to escape when you've been stamped with something. Salvador is living, breathing proof of how bad and manipulative those shows are. He has experienced it first hand, and he's in actually the perfect place to speak out, because he lived it. It's unfair to hold the fact he was on Idol against the opinion he holds. He was on it 7 or 8 years ago as well. I've less sympathy for people who go on these shows today, and then whine about festivals not wanting them or the stigma now attached to their name. Salvador entered Idol as a kid, then left the flipping country to rebuild his life, which he's done successfully.

I agree that real music is for a whole spectrum of emotions as well, and I would hope Salvador does too. "Music is about feeling" he said. Today we've lost what music is about. What's more important is flashy things and fashion, and fitting into the crowd. Music should be about finding yourself. Today with young people it's about defining your social status. I remember being mocked as a teenager for listening to jazz.

Radio's will only play what's contrived. It's all about the $$$$$. Thankfully the internet exists today though, so it's easier to expose yourself to different things, at least in that way. "Amar Pelos Dois" winning Eurovision though was an absolutely humongous step, and it actually makes me sad and a bit confused how you're not celebrating it's merits. A song that's local, stays true to it's countries roots and is performed entirely in Portuguese, in a style of music we don't hear has just won your contest that you complain so often about how Americanized it's becoming. I think that's something to smile about.

Young or not, the background is similar to many of the acts he looks down at, and they were also mostly young entering, another aspect is that he doesn't write or compose his stuff, which also can be considered to be a bit of a product rather than a real artist.

I agree, but then again it's all contextual, a flashy Pop song can work wonders on the dance-floor, and that's also emotions in that moment, it's not less "real" to dance away and just let the music be there and let yourself go. You know what I say? And in the ESC context, it's musical diversity, there should be the love ballad, the angry rock song, the "coming out" song and the flashy Pop entertainment, all emotions - the whole spectrum... then for a winner to dismiss pretty much all of it, it doesn't look cute. Alot of acts put alot of effort, even if taste differs, it takes time to build a big Pop show for instance, it's not as easy and flashy as the final product may look.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Young or not, the background is similar to many of the acts he looks down at, and they were also young, another aspect is that he doesn't write or compose his stuff, which also can be considered to be a bit of a product rather than a real artist.

I agree, but then again it's all contextual, a flashy Pop song can work wonders on the dance-floor, and that's also emotions in that moment, it's not less "real" to dance away and just let the music be there and let yourself go. You know what I say? And in the ESC context, it's musical diversity, there should be the love ballad, the angry rock song, the "coming out" song and the flashy Pop entertainment, all emotions - the whole spectrum... then for a winner to dismiss pretty much all of it, it doesn't look cute. Alot of acts put alot of effort, even if taste differs, it takes time to build a big Pop show for instance, it's not as easy and flashy as the final product may look.

In a lot of cases, jazz vocalists rarely composed their own songs. Billie Holiday who is considered one of the greatest jazz artists that ever existed, and recorded hundreds and hundreds of songs, only wrote herself a very small handful of them. Jazz music is all about feeling, and with jazz, "standards" are a thing, you know, when a song becomes a beloved standard that then many artists add to their repertoire with their own touch? And actually, you're only using "Amar Pelos Dois" as your example against him not writing his own songs. His last album release "Excuse Me" consisted of almost entirely *drum roll*........... songs he composed himself. He's never complained about anyone else not writing their own songs either.

I think people are misinterpreting what Salvador was really getting at, and that is we don't hear music with deep feeling anymore in the mainstream, and our music today is disposable. Two things that are quite difficult to argue with. Even when I find myself liking a current pop song, i'm kind of over it within a few weeks, and that doesn't happen when listening to anything outside what's mainstream that I love.

And I don't care how long it takes someone to get ready for their performance. Tarting up a cold, musical turd is not what anyone should be doing. Just flush it. Music should come before anything else, and we've lost that. Eyegasms are more important today it seems.

A-lister

Veteran
In a lot of cases, jazz vocalists rarely composed their own songs. Billie Holiday who is considered one of the greatest jazz artists that ever existed, and recorded hundreds and hundreds of songs, only wrote herself a very small handful of them. Jazz music is all about feeling, and with jazz, "standards" are a thing, you know, when a song becomes a beloved standard that then many artists add to their repertoire with their own touch? And actually, you're only using "Amar Pelos Dois" as your example against him not writing his own songs. His last album release "Excuse Me" consisted of almost entirely *drum roll*........... songs he composed himself. He's never complained about anyone else not writing their own songs either.

I think people are misinterpreting what Salvador was really getting at, and that is we don't hear music with deep feeling anymore in the mainstream, and our music today is disposable. Two things that are quite difficult to argue with. Even when I find myself liking a current pop song, i'm kind of over it within a few weeks, and that doesn't happen when listening to anything outside what's mainstream that I love.

And I don't care how long it takes someone to get ready for their performance. Tarting up a cold, musical turd is not what anyone should be doing. Just flush it. Music should come before anything else, and we've lost that. Eyegasms are more important today it seems.

Well, I'm going against what I first said about this topic, since it was meant as a sarcastic game rather than discussion board, but since barely no one cared I guess I'll just give my final thoughts on this :lol:

While I do know that many famous jazz singers didn't write their own material, Salvador is not in their league really, so if he is going to make statements about what is "real", well you get my point. I don't know about his debut album, I tried to find writing credits but couldn't find any, you got a link? But if we stay in the Eurovision context, which I assume he referred to when he threw shade in his speech, he didn't do that track, so in that sense he is not more "real" than many others (in fact some of the Poppier acts atleast had input in their entries).

Anyhow, I don't agree that working hard to entertain is a bad thing, it's all about what fits the entry and Eurovision should also be about entertainment and having a good time, and having a good time is not less "real", again it depends on context.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Well, I'm going against what I first said about this topic, since it was meant as a sarcastic game rather than discussion board, but since barely no one cared I guess I'll just give my final thoughts on this :lol:

While I do know that many famous jazz singers didn't write their own material, Salvador is not in their league really, so if he is going to make statements about what is "real", well you get my point. I don't know about his debut album, I tried to find writing credits but couldn't find any, you got a link? But if we stay in the Eurovision context, which I assume he referred to when he threw shade in his speech, he didn't do that track, so in that sense he is not more "real" than many others (in fact some of the Poppier acts atleast had input in their entries).

Anyhow, I don't agree that working hard to entertain is a bad thing, it's all about what fits the entry and Eurovision should also be about entertainment and having a good time, and having a good time is not less "real", again it depends on context.

I'll try and find you a link later, but I assure you the songs on this album were written about his experiences living in America and Barcelona. I know this because I translated every interview of his I could find, when I was trying to get proof to send him to the WorldVision game on the forum from the American region I had. In these interviews he spoke about the experiences that led to him writing them.

Someone can correct me here if i'm wrong, but Luisa was the one who approached her brother, saying "hey, i'm going to write a song for this festival and i'd like you to sing it". Even the greatest musicians accept songs from time to time from other people, especially when it's something written in honour of them. Who would turn down a song from their incredibly talented sibling, who Salvador worships and looks up to? Luisa made this whole thing even sweeter. When I think of this song, I think of her just as much as him. It was very much a family thing and it makes it even more beautiful.

Frankly who wrote "Amar Pelos Dois" is irrelevant. His message still stands whoever wrote the song. He didn't say "real artists play and compose music themselves". He said that music is about feelings and not fireworks. You're using something totally not relevant to attack/lessen his right to an opinion.

A-lister

Veteran
I'll try and find you a link later, but I assure you the songs on this album were written about his experiences living in America and Barcelona. I know this because I translated every interview of his I could find, when I was trying to get proof to send him to the WorldVision game on the forum from the American region I had. In these interviews he spoke about the experiences that led to him writing them.

Someone can correct me here if i'm wrong, but Luisa was the one who approached her brother, saying "hey, i'm going to write a song for this festival and i'd like you to sing it". Even the greatest musicians accept songs from time to time from other people, especially when it's something written in honour of them. Who would turn down a song from their incredibly talented sibling, who Salvador worships and looks up to? Luisa made this whole thing even sweeter. When I think of this song, I think of her just as much as him. It was very much a family thing and it makes it even more beautiful.

Frankly who wrote "Amar Pelos Dois" is irrelevant. His message still stands whoever wrote the song. He didn't say "real artists play and compose music themselves". He said that music is about feelings and not fireworks. You're using something totally not relevant to attack/lessen his right to an opinion.

So, I assume we don't know if he wrote/composed anything on that album then? Maybe he just picked songs that reflected something, or it could be written by others still reflecting something, that's not unusual either. I know some of the songs are covers though.

I'm not attacking, he kind of brought the criticism upon himself, I think in the end of the day it depends on what you read into what he says, obviously his "fans" aren't reading the same things. I know he didn't say you need to write/compose yourself, but when someone throw the line "real music", I actually think alot of people who have input in their own work, but maybe that's just me.

It's cute that it's a family affair, which obviously makes it a bit unusual, still not his piece of work though.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
So, I assume we don't know if he wrote/composed anything on that album then? Maybe he just picked songs that reflected something, or it could be written by others still reflecting something, that's not unusual either. I know some of the songs are covers though.

I'm not attacking, he kind of brought the criticism upon himself, I think in the end of the day it depends on what you read into what he says, obviously his "fans" aren't reading the same things. I know he didn't say you need to write/compose yourself, but when someone throw the line "real music", I actually think alot of people who have input in their own work, but maybe that's just me.

It's cute that it's a family affair, which obviously makes it a bit unusual, still not his piece of work though.

"Excuse Me (2016) is his debut album and represents a whole universe of songs written by himself in collaboration with the talented Venezuelan composer Leonardo Aldrey. Jazz, Brazilian music and the sounds of Latin America, in which he dives for inspiration, are also strong influences in the album."

https://eurovision.tv/story/salvador-sobral-has-love-enough-for-portugal-and-europe

So case closed on that one, and before you say it was a collaboration, the majority of things are, even in the alternative music world. The input is there, just not with the song he won Eurovision with, and it doesn't matter in the slightest bit, neither holds any context to what he said at Eurovision, because he writes, composes and plays instruments. Saying "he didn't write Amar Pelos Dois" is no argument against his speech.

I think people that don't like his speech are offended because they probably really enjoy current mainstream music, and that's fine. There's room for all music though, and currently we only celebrate puppets and plastic, and whatever "in" sound that is currently being jammed down our throats. He made a bold speech and people are obviously offended, but the message hopefully will be listened to, and at least it's gotten people talking.

Alaska49

like this thread can wait because [MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] LOVES MOJA GENERACIJA AAAAAAAAAHHH. suuuuuch an amazing entry that basically nobody remembers because it came right before waterloo. i am in heaven for seeing it mentioned.

A-lister

Veteran
"Excuse Me (2016) is his debut album and represents a whole universe of songs written by himself in collaboration with the talented Venezuelan composer Leonardo Aldrey. Jazz, Brazilian music and the sounds of Latin America, in which he dives for inspiration, are also strong influences in the album."

https://eurovision.tv/story/salvador-sobral-has-love-enough-for-portugal-and-europe

So case closed on that one, and before you say it was a collaboration, the majority of things are, even in the alternative music world. The input is there, just not with the song he won Eurovision with, and it doesn't matter in the slightest bit, neither holds any context to what he said at Eurovision, because he writes, composes and plays instruments. Saying "he didn't write Amar Pelos Dois" is no argument against his speech.

I think people that don't like his speech are offended because they probably really enjoy current mainstream music, and that's fine. There's room for all music though, and currently we only celebrate puppets and plastic, and whatever "in" sound that is currently being jammed down our throats. He made a bold speech and people are obviously offended, but the message hopefully will be listened to, and at least it's gotten people talking.

Fair enough if that's the case, although we still didn't see the actual credits, but I guess we have to trust Eurovision.tv aka EBU (which sometimes can be hard to trust but I have to take their words for it). No, I don't hold collaborations against him (most songs in all genres are collaborations so), not even the fact that he didn't write/compose his entry (other than it looks a bit comical in connection to his comment).

Offended or not, I just don't like the narrative spinned that it's not "real", because I see music very contextual, and snobbism and closed-mindness is not really good in music, it goes both ways unfortunately, radios might be close minded to certain styles, but some musicians are close minded and group all commercial or pop music together and loath on all of it, and I think all music is needed to fill different emotions and situations.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
like this thread can wait because [MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] LOVES MOJA GENERACIJA AAAAAAAAAHHH. suuuuuch an amazing entry that basically nobody remembers because it came right before waterloo. i am in heaven for seeing it mentioned.

Is it kind of evil that if I could i'd totally change history and make it win Eurovision over "Waterloo"? "Moja Generacija" is one of the greatest ESC songs ever in my opinion.... oh, but then Abba might not have hit it off big, and we wouldn't have got "Dancing Queen", the ultimate disco hit for feels.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Fair enough if that's the case, although we still didn't see the actual credits, but I guess we have to trust Eurovision.tv aka EBU (which sometimes can be hard to trust but I have to take their words for it). No, I don't hold collaborations against him (most songs in all genres are collaborations so), not even the fact that he didn't write/compose his entry (other than it looks a bit comical in connection to his comment).

Offended or not, I just don't like the narrative spinned that it's not "real", because I see music very contextual, and snobbism and closed-mindness is not really good in music, it goes both ways unfortunately, radios might be close minded to certain styles, but some musicians are close minded and group all commercial or pop music together and loath on all of it, and I think all music is needed to fill different emotions and situations.

The part I bolded is exactly why Salvador is right in what I think he was trying to get at. At the moment music like what he makes only exists if you search very deep for it. Luckily I had an interest in jazz and alternative music from a very young age as my parents listened to it, but in our day to day lives, we're only exposed to what radios are being payed to play. Your average young person today will only experience what's being fed to them, unless they decide to adventure themselves.

Salvador wasn't hating on pop as well, may I add. In press releases for Salvador's album, he describes it as a mixture of jazz and pop. In an interview, Salvador explained that he listened to hip-hop. I'm pretty sure he's very open minded. I'm like what you describe there myself, and group most pop music together (except strangely ESC pop music because eurotrash is oh so deliciousxheat), but my mind is open for when a good pop song does come along. I like Katy B for instance and some Clean Bandit songs. I just think most current pop is terrible, and the heart isn't so much as in the wrong place, it's non existent.... and that sucks.

Top Bottom