Contact us

Sakuralia ❀ NSC 227: Charlotte Cardin - Confetti

esc87fan

Re: Sakuralia ❀ NSC 175 - Duncan Laurence: Love Don't Hate It

Thanks Eulaliya. I actually replaced the original audio-only link with the video yesterday and asked Chickflopia to do the same

esc87fan

Re: Sakuralia ❀ NSC 176

Hmmm, what to do next

I'm thankful that I avoided the bottom 4 for once, but my DNQ streak in the 170s continues. I had a couple of ideas for entries to send to 176, but I'm not sure what to do

2017-The-Handmaids-Tale1-Hulu-Channel4-170717-920x584.jpg

Idea 1: An 80s song that was featured in a Season 3 episode of "The Handmaid's Tale"

Azw-Rcqet-400x400.jpg

Idea 2: Returning to the anime "Carole and Tuesday" with the series' anthemic final song

giphy.gif

Or maybe something completely different?​

Nonetheless, I will try my best to stop this recent run of bad luck

dogmeat

Idea 1: An 80s song that was featured in a Season 3 episode of "The Handmaid's Tale"
I'll take a guess the song in question is Cloudbusting by Kate Bush. It's a nice one.

esc87fan

Some of you might not know this, but the series is filmed in and around where I live. Parts of it are filmed in Mississauga (my current place of residence), and others are filmed in Toronto (the brothel Jezebel's is in real life the Royal York Hotel), Hamilton and Cambridge

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

I'll take a guess the song in question is Cloudbusting by Kate Bush. It's a nice one.

It could also be Belinda Carlisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth. :D

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

What a waste. :'D

esc87fan

NSC 176

Praise be!
2017-The-Handmaids-Tale1-Hulu-Channel4-170717-920x584.jpg

From The Handmaid's Tale, Episode 3.11 "Liars" (final scene)

Blessed be the 12 points!

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Not sure how the rules pitch this but my debut entry waaaay back in NSC 20 was a remix of this song I'm afraid...

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
Not sure how the rules pitch this but my debut entry waaaay back in NSC 20 was a remix of this song I'm afraid...

And that got me thinking... I think it's time to discuss if there should be a rule change, allowing covers/remixes of NSC entries that are more than 100 editions old. :eek:

dogmeat

Can't hear any similarities. Google says it sampled a single line of the vocals (and heavily distorted) and sampling doesn't invalidate the original in NSC.

Anyway, I think there needs to be a rule added that if a remix/cover that's been sent to NSC was exceptionally bad, the original may still be entered.

esc87fan

I had a similar situation in WV, a cover in another language was sent eons before I sent the original song and it was allowed. So would this song still be eligible for me to submit? Or will I have to send something else

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
This is a tricky one, because while Something Good '08 only samples one line of Cloudbusting, that sample is the entire basis of the song... Personally, I would say Cloudbusting should be allowed. I believe Jochen wrote that rule; [MENTION=4366]Fearnavigatr[/MENTION] what do you think?

Fearnavigatr

Personally I think this is a very clear case of sampling within what the rule allows. Either way, dubious individual cases should be settled by community consensus, which seems to be leaning towards allow.

esc87fan

I've submitted a backup just in case, but I felt this was the right time to send my intended entry because of the connection to the Handmaid's Tale TV series (the song fit really well with the scene in that season 3 episode I posted). In fact, I wanted to send it for a few editions since

Top Bottom