Contact us

Russia RUSSIA 2022 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

AlekS

Veteran
Kirkorov-news has just reported this:

Dream Team has sent more than one song to the Russian broadcaster.
ps. The final version of the songs haven't been recorded yet (Allegedly. Damage control after Klava Coca has leaked a pic from the Athens studio? I assume they will do a mastering in Moscow).

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
Not to be too political, but still very relevant question with all that is going on: I really wonder if EBU will still accept Russia using this platform if they proceed with further invasion of Ukraine? xshrug

Clearly previous invasions and ongoing occupations of parts of fellow Eurovision countries Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova doesn't bother EBU a single bit, nor does Russia's current gas-war on Europe and general threats.

I mean I applaud that EBU finally showed some guts and banned Belarus, but who is the biggest sponsor of the Lukashenko regime and the very reason he can continue torment his people? Well Russia...

But knowing EBU, $$$ talks

Mainshow

Veteran
Not to be too political, but still very relevant question with all that is going on: I really wonder if EBU will still accept Russia using this platform if they proceed with further invasion of Ukraine? xshrug

Clearly previous invasions and ongoing occupations of parts of fellow Eurovision countries Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova doesn't bother EBU a single bit, nor does Russia's current gas-war on Europe.

I mean I applaud that EBU finally showed some guts and banned Belarus, but who is the biggest sponsor of the Lukashenko regime and the very reason he can continue torment his people? Well Russia...

As long as the Russian entry won´t be as political as the Belurasian one + accompanied by the Russian channel spreading lies/interviews of previously beaten-up protestors, I don´t think that the EBU will prevent Russia from entering Eurovision.

As you´ve already said, the EBU didn´t care about Russia invading Georgia back in 2008 (they even let them host Eurovision a year afterwards!) or Ukraine in 2014.

Also, the EBU did let Turkey participate. Turkey debuted in 1975 - despite them invading Cyprus just a few months earlier back in 1974.

A-lister

Veteran
As long as the Russian entry won´t be as political as the Belurasian one + accompanied by the Russian channel spreading lies/interviews of previously beaten-up protestors, I don´t think that the EBU will prevent Russia from entering Eurovision.

As you´ve already said, the EBU didn´t care about Russia invading Georgia back in 2008 (they even let them host Eurovision a year afterwards!) or Ukraine in 2014.

Also, the EBU did let Turkey participate. Turkey debuted in 1975 - despite them invading Cyprus just a few months earlier back in 1974.

Yeah, I mean I find the morals of the EBU sad tbh, but you're probably very right. Although the Russian EBU affiliated broadcasters are just constant "lie-machines", so no difference from Belarus in that aspect, plus Russia is directly sponsoring Belarus so... kind of indirectly guilty of that too.

The only exception was Serbia that was actually banned in the 90s, but EBU isn't willing to ban big countries (Russia and Turkey) simply, but God forbid if a country was late with the fee some year...

Mainshow

Veteran
I fully agree with you.
Personally, I think that each and every country should have the right to take part (as long as it´s a member of the EBU or/and meets the EBU criteria) but of course, there should be a line and imo, it´s invading other EBU countries and annexing their territories but oh well, I wouldn´t have allowed Russia to compete or Turkey then - BUT - I also have to say that I give the same chance to each and every country in Eurovision, e.g. Russia was my favourite back in 2003 and 2016 - I voted for Russia in both years + 2009 (my family voted for Russia back in 2015 as well).

Let´s just hope Ukraine won´t get invaded again and we won´t lose another participant (or even more than that).

A-lister

Veteran
I fully agree with you.
Personally, I think that each and every country should have the right to take part (as long as it´s a member of the EBU or/and meets the EBU criteria) but of course, there should be a line and imo, it´s invading other EBU countries and annexing their territories but oh well, I wouldn´t have allowed Russia to compete or Turkey then - BUT - I also have to say that I give the same chance to each and every country in Eurovision, e.g. Russia was my favourite back in 2003 and 2016 - I voted for Russia in both years + 2009 (my family voted for Russia back in 2015 as well).

Let´s just hope Ukraine won´t get invaded again and we won´t lose another participant (or even more than that).

Yeah, I mean I always said, and still believe, that Eurovision should stay as apolitical as possible and EBU shouldn't act as some sort of "moral police", but certainly invading other Eurovision countries should be one of the red-lines.

I also want to underscore that while I am very critical of Russia for political reasons, and I really think they overstepped to the extent that a ban from Eurovision should be on the table as one way to sanction the country and not give it space like this, I always judge their entries completely objectively when they do enter (for instance Russia was my #1 both last year and 2009) and I agree with you that it's important to be able to separate the two, but still I can't with good conscience see what his happening and just pretend it is all fine to give them the Eurovision platform and that it is all just some "singing and dancing".

Carian

Clearly previous invasions and ongoing occupations of parts of fellow Eurovision countries Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova doesn't bother EBU a single bit, nor does Russia's current gas-war on Europe and general threats.

Please, keep politics out of here. This is getting really old. Haven't you noticed that there is basically no Russian commentators here and those who are here are using non-Russian flags? I wonder how come... I guess because we are such a great loving forthcoming and understanding community here, who celebrates the best in us, right? Keep hitting them hard, they will only love us more. Bravo, bro!

Mrm

Veteran
Please, keep politics out of here. This is getting really old. Haven't you noticed that there is basically no Russian commentators here and those who are here are using non-Russian flags? I wonder how come... I guess because we are such a great loving forthcoming and understanding community here, who celebrates the best in us, right? Keep hitting them hard, they will only love us more. Bravo, bro!
👌👌👌👏👏👏

A-lister

Veteran

No one is forcing you to read though xshrugI raise some very valid points that I wished I didn't have to but reality is what it is...

Oh and if you can't separate criticizing a country's government from its people, it's on you...

Mainshow

Veteran
No one is forcing you to read though xshrugI raise some very valid points that I wished I didn't have to but reality is what it is...

Oh and if you can't separate criticizing a country's government from its people, it's on you...
This.

Also, it is impossible to completely separate politics from Eurovision. Depending on what's going on in a specific country, they might not participate, e.g.

Armenia 2021 (Karabkah war)
Belarus 2021/2022 (propaganda)
Ukraine 2015 (Russia's invasion, annexation of Crimea)
Turkey 2013-2022 (homophobia)
Georgia 2009 (Russia's invasion, annexation of South Ossetia, Abkhasia)

Since what's going on in/close to Ukraine, it's a valid question if it does have an effect on all countries involved.

Such valid points - if huge events taking place in these countries may or may not effect a participation in Eurovision or entries referring to politics (like Moldova 2022) - needs to be discussed on this forum as well.

@A-lister and I have also mentioned and specially said that we ALWAYS separate the artists or songs from their countries' politics.
Otherwise, we hadn't cast votes for Russia several times in the last two decades.

That said, I wish each and every Eurovision fan - from any territory on this planet - should feel welcomed and appreciated on this very forum.

A-lister

Veteran
This.

Also, it is impossible to completely separate politics from Eurovision. Depending on what's going on in a specific country, they might not participate, e.g.

Armenia 2021 (Karabkah war)
Belarus 2021/2022 (propaganda)
Ukraine 2015 (Russia's invasion, annexation of Crimea)
Turkey 2013-2022 (homophobia)
Georgia 2009 (Russia's invasion, annexation of South Ossetia, Abkhasia)

Since what's going on in/close to Ukraine, it's a valid question if it does have an effect on all countries involved.

Such valid points - if huge events taking place in these countries may or may not effect a participation in Eurovision or entries referring to politics (like Moldova 2022) - needs to be discussed on this forum as well.

@A-lister and I have also mentioned and specially said that we ALWAYS separate the artists or songs from their countries' politics.
Otherwise, we hadn't cast votes for Russia several times in the last two decades.

That said, I wish each and every Eurovision fan - from any territory on this planet - should feel welcomed and appreciated on this very forum.

This! xclap

To completely separate big current events from Eurovision is naive at best... just because we are Eurovision fans don't mean that we can completely turn the blind eye to reality and pretend it's all "singing and dancing", I believe we are more intelligent than that xshrug Eurovision is a huge platform for countries to promote themselves, or to whitewash their images, and the broadcasters that are given the privilege to take part in this are very often public ones and in one way or another in the hands of the governments of their respective countries, whether we want to pretend that's not the case and live in a bubble that's each prerogative, but it doesn't change reality and it is a valid point to question if Russia and their broadcasters (which are de facto directly connected to the Putin regime), given the circumstances, should really have this platform or not xshrug

Also, like @Mainshow rightly points out, all ESC fans should feel welcomed here, there is no discrimination against someone from Russia or any other country for that matter, and if someone read my comment like that, then I am sorry for that person's understanding of things, however this forum isn't under Kremlin jurisdiction and if someone feels hurt for reading truth, then that's not my problem, the word is free.

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
Anyways, I made some valid points and I won't stop because someone feels "uncomfortable" or whatever.

With that said, we all know Russia will 99% remain in the contest and the EBU won't lift a finger to have it elsewise, so it's a pretty hypothetical discussion anyway. But I think it's relevant that the EBU is at least aware that ESC fans are no dummies and we are still people with concerns about other things than who wears what in a performance... and with that I have nothing else to add to the topic as of now.

Last edited:

Carian

@A-lister and @Mainshow

Guys, compliment each other as much as you want. My critique is still valid: we do not have Russian commentators here, and those that are here, are using anything but their national flag. I guess, because you two have valid political disputes and because you can separate government from their people. You win guys, bravo xclapEnjoy yourselves. C u around ;)

A-lister

Veteran
@A-lister and @Mainshow

Guys, compliment each other as much as you want. My critique is still valid: we do not have Russian commentators here, and those that are here, are using anything but their national flag. I guess, because you two have valid political disputes and because you can separate government from their people. You win guys, bravo xclapEnjoy yourselves. C u around ;)

It's not a competition though xshrug

And with all due respect, but trying to make valid criticisms towards a regime equal some sort of made up "bullying of forum members" (which never happened) isn't "valid critique", quite the contrary it's a dishonest rhetoric to silence critics by mixing up the cards. I never said that Russians should feel unwelcomed here, nor do I discriminate against their entries (like I already pointed out more than once I judge them objectively like the rest and have the track-record to prove it).

Anyways, there are no winners here, and I wish we wouldn't even have to raise these points in the first place... it just means that Europe is in a bad place.

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
We have fans here on this very forum. From Russia. With Russian flags in their profile. Taking part in the Forum Song Contest for Russia. You pointing out that "there aren´t many Russian Eurovision fans on this forum" doesn´t have to do anything with very few comments on whether a country can take part because of an event happening on the European continent. - If someone can´t deal with such comments, they better don´t register on a forum which has been disgned to discuss things about a participation of a certain country (which is basically the point of this whole thread). We have had discussions about politics in the Ukrainian thread as well (about Crimea, for example, which plays a huge role in whether a participant can take part in Vidbir/the national final of Ukraine or not).

I don´t think that very few posts about "if the current political situation in Eastern Europe may result into a ban for Russia or a withdrawal from Ukraine" is a far-fetched thought or - as you seem to keep on bringing it up - the reason why Russian fans can´t show their Russian flags on this forum. - As long as it´s not a political discussion (which we didn´t really have, btw, because it was related to Eurovision), each member of this forum has to deal with it - everyone can join in - talk about the Russian entry, rumors about the Russian participaton or even question if they will continue taking part - this is how it has been done.. .also in other threads in which (like I´ve pointed it out) political, economical or social factors prevented a country from participating.

ANYWAY, it´s all been said and done.

When it comes to the Russian entry this year - I just hope that we will get to know the procedure a bit earlier than last time. That last-minute national final was really nerve-wrecking.

Keeping my fingers crossed for another authentic entry from Russia - (hopefully) not produced by the "Dream Team" and maybe even gettting to hear some Russian language as well. Since Saro from Armenia isn´t working with the Dream Team anymore (as it has been claimed in the Armenian thread), I, however, think that the Dream Team might be involved in the Russian entry.

I think that :ru: and :am: are the only countries left which haven´t said anything about their entry yet, right? (like if they will host a national final or choose an entrant/entry internally).

Last edited:

Carian

@A-lister & @Mainshow

Okay, guys. How many Russians posted on this year's and last year's Russia thread? How many Russians using their national flag are active proud members of this forum?

If this is hard for you to understand, then let's try it this way. Imagine that I have just joined this forum, eager and proud of my representative(s). I want to hear and read opinions of other Europeans about our national entry, but halas! All I read is political dismissals and critique of my country, and maybe each fifth comment actually says something about our entry. If I had to read thousands of posts about Putin (regardless of if I supported him or not) and how Russia were bad, I wouldn't want to be member of this forum either.

Honestly, instead of Swedes and Germans constantly complaining about Russians, I'd prefer to read posts from Russians, make friends with them, and hear first-hand info from them about their other music, culture, and movies. But... I guess this will remain my dream, as long as I/we will have to read your political op-ed posts about Russia and Putin on this thread. To sum it up, guys, it is great that you have your opinions, but I am not into reading your political views on the ESC forum.

Top Bottom