Contact us

RuPaul's Drag Race

popavapeur

I've been searching about this marvelous show but the topic doesn't exist ! What the hell !?

12654415_1744091105810382_2863544992200863530_n.png

What is that ?

RuPaul is a famous Drag queen who own his show. The goal is the same kind as in Top Chef : you have 12 to 14 Drag queens that have to impress judges with many challenges, each episodes one gets eliminated till the top 3 where RuPaul crowns the "next drag superstar", no votes from viewers only judges decide the fate of the queens. The format is 40min episodes + 20min of "Untucked" (backstage talking). The main challenges are different : sometimes they'll have to act, to do a comedy stand up, a broadway-like singing, dance and lipsync, sewing challenges or a parody of "match game". You also find mini challenges that are mostly ridiculous and funny : do the make up with no lights and mirrors at all, transform into "old drag". The two worst queens of the week have to lipsync again each other where RuPaul decides which one gets to stay, the other one will "Sashay Away" = leave the competition.

RPDR is one of the shows that have rating figures that increases each season, gain more and more fans each year with an active fanbase. A brand new season (season 8) is debuting on early March this year, it's one of the most discussed show on tumblr due to the extreme amount of gifs made from the show.
I'm a true fan of the show because it's simply very effective, well written, well made, and absolutely funny. That's a melting pot of pop culture and it takes a twist of what we think about drag queen (campy stuff) and shows us that's not only camp but sometimes a true visual art.

The new cast of next season with a 50/60's theme :
12662579_1744348315784661_6849675521566593271_n.png

Any other fans around the ESC village ?

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Yes indeed! I stopped watching after last season because of the prolonged survival of Violet Chachki and Miss Fame* over far more interesting and talented queens like Max, Katya, and Mrs. Kasha Davis, but there are some queens I actually know of in this bunch, so I'm definitely going to give it another chance, especially if it means watching with my dear ones here at ESCUnited! :D

*I understand that these two are fan favorites here. Sorry that your faves suck.

Carrie

My favourite queens are Darienne, Shannel, Manila, Tatianna, Shangela, Alyssa, Miss Fame, Laganja and Courtney. xheart

My predictions, based on Meet The Queens...

12 Naysha Lopez
11 Cynthia Lee Fontaine
10 Chi Chi DeVayne
9 Kim Chi
8 Bob The Drag Queen
7 Robbie Turner
6 Naomi Smalls
5 Thorgy Thor xheart
4 Laila McQueen
--
3 Dax Exclamationpoint
2 Derrick Barry
1 Acid Betty

popavapeur

*I understand that these two are fan favorites here. Sorry that your faves suck.

I never liked Miss Fame that much but Violet had a bitch edit in the early episodes then she had a "bitch but very nice inside edit", My faves were Trixie Mattel and Katya last season. This year i'm rooting for Bob The Drag Queen, Kim Chi (Trixie's BFF), Derrick Barry, Acid Betty... Well almost everybody except Chi Chi, Naomi and Robbie.

Fluke

I prefer Rand Paul's presidential race.

Adrian

I stopped watching after last season because of the prolonged survival of Violet Chachki and Miss Fame*

Violet Chachki and Miss Fame were both such horrible queens! (Mrs. Kasha Davis deserved so much more than these two)

but anyway I honestly cannot wait for the next season! I am rooting so hard for Bob The Drag Queen, Kim Chi, Acid Betty and Naomi Smalls! It is gonna be a great season

Schlagerman1

I don't know if it my gayness or what it is but I LOVE Drag Race. xlove

I started watching from the 5th season, but has now watched all seasons of it and I can't wait for the 8th to starts, seems like a really cool line-up this time! :D
It has been some amazing gurls in the race. The ones I really liked during the editions are for example Raven, Raja, Jinx Monsoon, Latrice Royal and especially Bianca Del Rio. Many of you hated Violet I see, well I didn't like her at first either, but she was the one that really brought something extra each week in a pretty weak edition (which I still thought was okay, but 5 and 6 was so strong comparing to it).

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
I have a favorite already xheat

Nikkita

Rupaul's Drag Race is my FAVOURITE show in US ever. It helped me during a dark,depressive era and it gave me a new reason to live, which is being a (bio) drag queen :lol: I'm watching it since S4 and i admit that S7 was a disappointment (sorry Violet but the real winner was Katya) but it's a new season so i'm hopeful! I can't say something based on meet the queens videos, however i'm really excited to see what Acid Betty, Bob, Kim Chi, Derrick and Thorgy can bring.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
vFVa9Vh.jpg

Schlagerman1

RuPaul-Drag-Race-GIFs.gif

...maybe we should rank our top 10 favorite queens of the past, while we wait for the next edition to begin! :D

Here is my ranking:

That is my top 10, but I am sure you all will agree or disagree with me. :mrgreen:

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
This is going to be so hard xfaint

1. Jinkx Monsoon: Season 5 is almost hard to watch because I feel such a kindred connection to dear, maligned Jinkx (even if it turned out okay). Such comic timing, such an appreciation for the past, such underrated fashion and makeup sense.
2. Bianca Del Rio: I will admit that all the hype around her as "The Queen of Mean" left me awfully skeptical of her, but it quickly became clear 1) that all the people around her deserved all the shade she poured upon them and more 2) she was by far one of the most talented and funny queens ever on the show and 3) that she was actually a sweetheart.
3. Max: Speaking of kindred connections to queens, Max was also so unbelievably interesting and genuinely flawless. Her flubbing Snatch Game was a damn shame because she was so...I guess smart is the word I'm looking for. Every single acting challenge meant a new magnificent and complex character from Max (and her squickiness around the sex is something I totally felt for).
4. Chad Michaels: THE PRO-FES-SION-AL. Consistently wiped the floor with her competitors and rose above the bickering of the season.
5. Katya: A super interesting character but also one who was so fond of transforming herself, and in ways I appreciated so much.
6. Latrice Royale: The most motherly queen that the show had ever seen. EAT IT. Also, her "Fantasy" medley slays so hard.
7. Alexis Mateo: This is the best look that the show has ever seen.
8. Ongina: The first queen who repped for the weird 'uns. Fearless in everything she did.
9. Courtney Act: A super versatile queen, who really brought the total package to everything she did, from her impressive fish to her risk-taking to her performance talent.
10. Pandora Boxx: Part of the old-style drag tradition that the show needs more of. Got me obsessed with Carol Channing just by being herself.
11. Stacy Layne Bryant Matthews Latisaw Q. (sorry but I need 11 :( ) : One of the most underrated queens ever on the show. Hilarious and more polished than she ever got credit for.
12. Yara Sofia (sorry but I need 12 :( ) : Such a sweetheart and another super-versatile one.

And a love-to-hate 10 of queens I especially didn't like b/c I couldn't resist xheat
1. Laganja Estranja
2. Roxxxy Andrews
3. Violet Chachki
4. Gia Gunn
5. Miss Fame
6. Tyra Sanchez
7. Carmen Carrera
8. Raven OMG SHOCK HORROR
9. Raja OMG BIGGER SHOCK HORROR
10. Phi Phi O'Hara

Schlagerman1

And a love-to-hate 10 of queens I especially didn't like b/c I couldn't resist xheat
1. Laganja Estranja

Haha yeah on that list, Laganja would be high there togheter with Alyssa Edwards. I really love Alyssa at the same time she is almost too much.

tumblr_n2yrc9S4Y21rk8jx0o1_500.gif

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Haha yeah on that list, Laganja would be high there togheter with Alyssa Edwards. I really love Alyssa at the same time she is almost too much.

tumblr_n2yrc9S4Y21rk8jx0o1_500.gif

I have serious mixed feelings about Alyssa that become much less mixed and far more positive when I see this :lol:

Carrie

1. Miss Darienne Lake - I love her style of look and her endless shade throwing. It was all in good humour though; I hate how the online community was constantly taking chunks out of her.
2. Shannel - Shannel is just hilarious: her confidence plays a big part in this. I love how she isn't afraid to stand up for herself and her talents.
3. Courtney Act - Courtney released one of my favourite songs of 2015 with 'Ugly'. I wasn't big on her during the show but she is really talented, I'm now a big fan.
4. Alyssa Edwards - Alyssa slayed so hard during her season. She is a factory of catchphrases... everything she does just puts me in stitches. During the cartoon task, her 'it's real sunny up.. here' had me roaring.
5. Manila Luzon - I find Manila extremely attractive out of drag. During the show I hated the whole Heathers thing however I can forgive her for that because she is so funny and cute. Her 'gag' is brilliant.
6. Tatianna - Tati is such an underrated queen, maybe it was because she was in one of the earlier seasons. I think Tati was great for standing up for herself against Raven and Tyra. Robbed of top 3.
7. Shangela - The one and only returning queen! I'm so glad she got given the chance to return: it just goes to show that one bad challenge can result in the loss of great queens. Shangela is iconic, undoubtedly.
8. Miss Fame - I think that Fame is one of the prettiest queens to have been on the show, alongside Courtney. I feel like she could have given so much more in her lip synch against Pearl - Fame is pure class.
9. Laganja Estranja - Ganja gets so much stick for being a a little crazy, but personally I thought she was hella funny. Without her, the Untucked of season 6 would have been less entertaining.. then again, they still would have been amazing.
10. Chad Michaels - Chad is drag gold. Her Cher impersonation is heavenly; she always puts on a class act.

Special mentions to Jujubee, Willam, Madame LeQueer, Latrice Royale and Trinity K Bonet.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
6. Tatianna - Tati is such an underrated queen, maybe it was because she was in one of the earlier seasons. I think Tati was great for standing up for herself against Raven and Tyra. Robbed of top 3.

It feels like I've been waiting years xheart

popavapeur

I guess we're gonna see some of these queens in AS2, on Reddit they already found who's on.

I can't make a top but i liked
S7 : Katya, Violet Chachki, Trixie Mattel, Pearl
S6 : Bianca Del Rio, April Carrion, Ben Delacreme, Joslyn
S5 : Alyssa Edwards, Alaska, Detox
S4 : Willam
S3 : Raja, Manila
S2 : Jujubee
S1 : Nina Flowers

dislike :
S7 : Mrs Kasha Davis, Sasha Belle (except for the conjoined episode haha), Jasmine Masters
S6 : Magnolia Crawford, Kelly Mantle
S5 : Coco Montrese, Jade Jolie, and the 5 first eliminated :D
S4 : Madame Laqueer, Milan
S3 : Delta Work, Mimi Imfurst, Phoenix
S2 : Five first eliminated too

I don't really remember some seasons so maybe there's queen i liked when i saw the show but don't quite remember their personnality now

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Wow, what a premiere. Usually at this point there are already some that rub my nerves out, but as of now, I like every single queen in the competition; no one's boring or too mean-spirited. I wasn't big on Naysha, but she's gone now. Bob's still my favorite, but she has close competition from...well everyone actually.

Top Bottom