Contact us

Rumia 227 | There's no cock like horse cock

dogmeat

Re: Rumia 174 | Hang Massive - The Secret Kissing of the Sun and Moon

I tried to classify all my entries. It wasn't easy in many cases and it's far from perfect, but it's the best I could do. I tried to avoid adding new categories wherever possible. Misclassifications are likely.

WOFg1Bo.png

* I know film score is not a genre, but I found it more descriptive than lumping them under "modern classical". Not all of them are literal film scores; some were written for video games, some are independent music that's simply in cinematic style.
* Same for musical, except in this case both songs actually appear in a film.
* I'm not sure if steampunk can be a genre of music, but it fit better than industrial or whatever else.

dogmeat

Re: Rumia 176 | Rockself.com Festival #12 | NF

oHis0Ma.png

That time of the year is nearing close. For as long as anyone remembers, every 10 editions Rumia hosts an anniversary National Final (sponsored by a Yaponesian company Rockself.com). And I bother you all with endless begging for votes.

Open voting will begin when NSC 175 closes, but you're invited to take part in early voting. Just post in this thread and you'll receive spam a private message with all the songs.
Tagging regulars, but everyone's welcome [MENTION=4597]Stargazer[/MENTION] [MENTION=10639]as78[/MENTION] [MENTION=4366]Fearnavigatr[/MENTION] [MENTION=4724]EurovisionSmile[/MENTION] [MENTION=4372]takeru[/MENTION] [MENTION=9449]Yoni[/MENTION] [MENTION=5042]strajker[/MENTION]

Rmetr0

Re: Rumia 176 | Rockself.com Festival #12 | NF | Early voting process; voters welcome

I'm interested too ;)

Brandt

Re: Rumia 176 | Rockself.com Festival #12 | NF | Early voting process; voters welcome

Me too.

as78

Of course, I'm interested in voting. :D

dogmeat

Tack you. I'll be sending the songs at the end of this week, once I've decided them all and made the banners.

dogmeat

The songs are now in your inboxes, complete with a recap.
If anyone else is interested, just let me know.

dogmeat

Re: 🖤💛🖤 Rumia 176 | Rockself.com Festival #12 | NF |

NSC 175 is approaching the end, so it's a good enough time to open the voting. Big thanks to Vylkuzeme, Oussou Empire and Svobodnia for voting so far!

Below are the songs and a recap.
The voting system is 15 12 9 7 5 4 3 2 1

1 Aviators - Monumental | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N64npSayEzg
2 Piotr Musiał - Festival of Light | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCBDNgfqNBw
3 Dzivia - Pamierlyja Božyšča | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44pIUQNEk64
4 Lindsey Stirling - Take Flight | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAD0BtEv6-Q
5 Sowulo - Dageraad | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHvf9Az2eLQ
6 Bloodywood - Endurant | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfjTbY2NzsM
7 HIM - Killing Loneliness | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ9JdDAbKH0
8 Hang Massive - Warmth of the Sun's Rays | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXnGu9RA_OQ
9 Xandria - Voyage of the Fallen | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqYOvBZlA1c

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member

NSC 175 is approaching the end, so it's a good enough time to open the voting. Big thanks to Vylkuzeme, Oussou Empire and Svobodnia for voting so far!
Ah, thank you so much for this reminder! I was going to vote early on in the month, but then I ended up winning WV and have been knee-deep in hosting ever since, so it completely slipped my mind. :oops: Will definitely vote! :)

dogmeat

A quick bump to get this back to visibility. Big thanks to everyone who voted so far! Still a few more are needed.

dogmeat

Once again thanks to all voters! I know you've had enough of constant pleas and reminders. I guess opening the voting an edition ago was a good idea, it went smoother than usual.

Anyway... Anyone who's still alive, listen up! We have the results!

1/12 Vylkuzeme

2/12 Oussou Empire

3/12 Svobodnia

4/12 Balearica Island

5/12 Tuzi

6/12 Emsfrynt

7/12 Ujedinjeni Gvozd

8/12 Adamsburg

9/12 Fervorosia

10/12 Trollheimr

11/12 Ugaly

12/12 Serenes

FULL RESULTS

dogmeat

Last edition we saw Eurielle's City of the Dead.

Rumia 177
Eurielle - City of the Dead

For the sake of variety, this edition Rumia is represented by a group of Skyrim cosplayers.

Rumia 178
Brothers of Metal - Yggdrasil

Last edited:

dogmeat

Thank you to all who voted for IKEA vikings.

For our next artist, let me introduce them through a random internet review of their album, from which comes their best known song and Rumia's NSC entry.

TheNecromancer said:
It takes a special kind of bad to literally be the worst album I've ever listened to. What makes this album so awful? It's the mere fact that Woods of Ypres don't seem to realize just how pitifully dreadful they are that makes this album absolutely unbearable to listen to. What's more surprising is that even a lot of well-versed metalheads don't seem to realize how awful they are, and eat this shit up like it's a rare commodity. To be fair though, music this bad IS a rare commodity. Perhaps it's the hilarity that keeps people coming back for more, but the reason I cannot enjoy an album like this for the hilarity is because of how seriously Woods of Ypres take themselves.

Where the actual instrumentation here is somewhat competent, the sheer self-indulgence and unforgivably bad lyrics (to the point where it is unbelievable) completely slaughter this album from the get-go. From the very first track Shards of Love (Hurt Forever), the mind-numbingly simplistic and shallow lyrics take the spotlight as the painfully generic clean guitars plod a few simple chords before the song becomes a generic doom "ballad" that has no real emotive power due to how childish and amateurish this song is put together. This is but an omen of what is to come, because not only does everything get one hundred times worse, they also get one hundred times more obnoxious to the point where it's just completely unavoidable and nothing can be salvaged from this absolute wreck.

Some self-indulgence when it comes to music is fine, but to the point where you've managed to make a 78 minute album of teenage poetry and bland instrumentation is completely unforgivable. Some of the tracks literally hurt to sit through, like the song Wet Leather with the most hilariously badly written lyrics ever conceived ("Life is just pain and piss, it's nothing that I will miss, life is just pain and piss, it's just... temporary"). This is now an inside joke between me and my friends. Really though, if I was to pick out all the individual ridiculous lyrics you'd probably decompose before being able to finish reading. It gets to the point towards the end of the album where the lyrics just make nearly no sense ("Women move on, Men move one, Women move on, Men move one" and so it goes) and just leave me in a state of confusion and exhaustion.

Any redeemable moment here is overshadowed by the fact that someone else has done it 10 times better. This would be okay, even somewhat enjoyable if it wasn't for everything else that makes this album a disaster. But when everything comes together as it goes in The Green Album, I don't think anyone does it worse than Woods of Ypres. The formula of getting instrumentation I should really enjoy and smothering it in a helping of the worst lyrics I've ever heard, delivered by a vocalist that is somehow able to sing all this with a straight face just absolutely makes this an embarrassment to everything I love about music. It's like someone took a picture of a band I really enjoy and photoshopped Justin Bieber into it, in musical form, which makes it feel like the album is slapping me in the face as I listen to it. It's so difficult to critically evaluate this album due to how juvenile it is, it's essentially like trying to mark a child's finger-painting by college standards. I could go into picking apart every individual aspect of this album but it would all be for nothing.

The Green Album is truly a marvel in itself - turning something that should be boring at the absolute worst and turning it into something that is literally impossible to listen to. I'd tell you to avoid this, but this album is intriguing in itself for the same reason the cult classic The Room by Tommy Wiseau is so elusive and infamous - it's truly an experience that no one could ever explain to you in a review, and where it is without a doubt the worst album I've ever listened to, there's just absolutely nothing quite like this.

But for those looking for a good album, avoid at any cost you can.

Okay, but seriously. It's a beautiful song about getting over the past, being born anew and leaving the old self to die.
The lyrics can become morbidly literal, though, since the frontman died in a car accident not long after [*]

Rumia 179
Woods of Ypres - I Was Buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery

Last edited:
Top Bottom