12 8.5%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Romania-scaled.jpg

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Omg got to go listen x Romania am ready to be slayed.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Because I'm Romanian. I haven't applied for the British citizenship so I'm not really British at the moment. :geek:

ooo you live in the UK? Join the Brit fam x

Uto

Veteran
Oh god Romania. I just listened to those five songs. This is extremely impressive. There are three songs I feel are completely viable choices, just ready to go out there and do well. There's one I think is absolutely marvelous and would be borderline dark horse. And then there is Alcohol You which is absolutely a potential winner and would immediately be my personal favorite. But I wish to stress that all are great. The production here is just world class and if she can pull off those vocals live she's fantastic. Such a great tone in her voice. She's really pretty as well, always a big help.

Cherry Red: 7,15 -> 7,55
Was least impressed by this one. This is just a modern version of the sound Romania is known for and it tends to do well everywhere, but I feel like the instrumental chorus just isn't powerful enough to really win the televoters over and you're dropping jury votes if you send stuff like this. I also dislike the lyrics, some gimmicky stuff in there. I'm also worried that this song kind of requires dancing and performing which tends to waste energy better spent at getting the vocals to be as good as you can. Also, oddly abrupt ending. Solid song, probably not the right choice.

Beautiful Disaster: 7,25 -> 7,40
Was disappointed about this one actually. Seemed to be really cool based on the snippet, but it's just a jazzy pop track without a lot happening. Production here is really great though and it certainly creates a great atmosphere. I like the melodies here as well. But as I said, there's just not much happening. Song doesn't really shift gears at any point, it just kind of meanders for three minutes and ends. Listener doesn't get any payoff here. Solid song, definitely the wrong choice.

Storm: 7,30 -> 7,45
This song manages to grab my attention after only a few instrumental notes. In comes a very pretty voice singing an interesting melody. Then it builds to a chorus and then.... What? "Hi, I am storm" and some inane beat-driven chorus that's just completely out of place. Missed opportunity if you ask me. It's tolerable, but I'm very disappointed after such a magnificent verse. Then there's some stuff, some vocal gymnastics and then they double down on the chorus in a higher key. That's unoriginal as hell and again there's a very sudden stop to the song. No, this one isn't for me. Still solid though, but this one should not be chosen.

Colors: 7,50 -> 7,65
This song starts off iffy, but then the bass kicks in and suddenly it makes sense to me and I'm treated to three minutes of an outstanding producer giving us one of his/her best works. This song is *lush*. Could listen to stuff like this all day. Everything is so rich, so well defined, fantastic. Melodically it's all fine, staging should be a breeze. Lyrics are a fantastic opportunity to give an LGBT-nod without looking forced. I see only upsides. Sucks hard if this is not chosen, but there is good reason not to choose this, because there's Alcohol You.

Alcohol You: 8,05 -> 8,35
I cried.

EDIT: After repeated listens I underrated these songs still. Mainly Cherry Red, but that is just a very hard sell with me. I'm a sucker for ballads, sue me.

Last edited:

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Oh god Romania. I just listened to those five songs. This is extremely impressive. There are three songs I feel are completely viable choices, just ready to go out there and do well. There's one I think is absolutely marvelous and would be borderline dark horse. And then there is Alcohol You which is absolutely a potential winner and would immediately be my personal favorite. But I wish to stress that all are great. The production here is just world class and if she can pull of those vocals live she's fantastic. Such a great tone in her voice. She's really pretty as well, always a big help.

Cherry Red: 7,15
Was least impressed by this one. This is just a modern version of the sound Romania is known for and it tends to do well everywhere, but I feel like the instrumental chorus just isn't powerful enough to really win the televoters over and you're dropping jury votes if you send stuff like this. I also dislike the lyrics, some gimmicky stuff in there. I'm also worried that this song kind of requires dancing and performing which tends to waste energy better spent at getting the vocals to be as good as you can. Also, oddly abrupt ending. Solid song, probably not the right choice.

Beautiful Disaster: 7,25
Was disappointed about this one actually. Seemed to be really cool based on the snippet, but it's just a jazzy pop track without a lot happening. Production here is really great though and it certainly creates a great atmosphere. I like the melodies here as well. But as I said, there's just not much happening. Song doesn't really shift gears at any point, it just kind of meanders for three minutes and ends. Listener doesn't get any payoff here. Solid song, definitely the wrong choice.

Storm: 7,30
This song manages to grab my attention after only a few instrumental notes. In comes a very pretty voice singing an interesting melody. Then it builds to a chorus and then.... What? "Hi, I am storm" and some inane beat-driven chorus that's just completely out of place. Missed opportunity if you ask me. It's tolerable, but I'm very disappointed after such a magnificent verse. Then there's some stuff, some vocal gymnastics and then they double down on the chorus in a higher key. That's unoriginal as hell and again there's a very sudden stop to the song. No, this one isn't for me. Still solid though, but this one should not be chosen.

Colors: 7,50
This song starts off iffy, but then the bass kicks in and suddenly it makes sense to me and I'm treated to three minutes of an outstanding producer giving us one of his/her best works. This song is *lush*. Could listen to stuff like this all day. Everything is so rich, so well defined, fantastic. Melodically it's all fine, staging should be a breeze. Lyrics are a fantastic opportunity to give an LGBT-nod without looking forced. I see only upsides. Sucks hard if this is not chosen, but there is good reason not to choose this, because there's Alcohol You.

Alcohol You: 8,05
I cried.
i am screaming that your ranking is the exact opposite of mine :lol:

Uto

Veteran
... some questionable lyrics, like in "Alcohol You" (which the title itself sounds weird enough), starts off with the lyrics "The Sun is rising ink, for me it's hard to blink". I don't know if you are able to say it like that, but for me it sounds like a really rough way to force in a rhyme...
She has make-up in her eyes after getting drunk last evening. It's a perfectly fine lyric.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Alcohol You
I love the mysterious vibe of it, and it feels so much more authentic and real compared to other ballads this year. One problem I have is the whole 'Alcohol You' part. It literally makes no sense and grates on me quite a bit, but other than that a really great song.

Beautiful Disaster
This is very Ester Peony and gives me spooky circus vibes. I'm really unsure whether I like it or hate it. It's really not something i'd choose to listen to. No matter, I really hope this isn't the one that is chosen. Tbh idk if it could improve that much on Ester considering how much of the same wave length this is on.

Cherry Red
"Slow Me down, on the streets of Downtown Malaga"
KlWINmzHjjYLCsqFa8jNIe75SXKoN59PzxDmlEO-WI5qj9a99R8gCh6B5CixyhWRJfaXJIMMdfKP_OWAJMLoG2bRrztk0KA1L2csWXyri_B1EFieQl96

all that needs saying.

Colours
American English. 0/10. Already of to a bad start with that spelling. I like the build to the chorus, but that chorus is just so meh with that annoying repetition sound or whatever it is.

Storms Storms don't last foreevveaaaeeerr (Surie, 2018)
This is alright. It feels kinda fillerish to fill the 5 song quota they had somewhat set themselves. It has a key change which is always a huge plus, very Eurovision and very bless. However not the best use of a key change.

Final Rank
1- Cherry Red
2- Alcohol You
3- Storm
4- Colours
5- Beautiful Disasters

It really has to be Cherry Red imo, it's the huge standout of the selection easily and catchy. Alcohol You is also really good and I could be happy with that choice but Cherry Red is better. Alcohol You also has the lyrical problem with that title which I find kinda lazy. The other 3 feel so much like fillers, Storm and Colours especially. They're alright but I don't think they're anything particularly noteworthy. What is noteworthy though, is the clear professional production and effort that has gone into each of these songs. Regardless of my opinion you can tell they were written for and with Roxen and weren't just generic soulless songs given to her. Romania really showed how to do a proper song writing camp. Romania and Romanians should be very proud of the selection they have this year.

Also, idk if it's just her voice or if Roxen has one of them indie girl kitchens with bananys and Avocados.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Also, idk if it's just her voice or if Roxen has one of them indie girl kitchens with bananys and Avocados.

And unlike in the fake :ie: entry, here it works :love: I think it sounds this way also because she wears braces

The title of "Alcohol You" is actually worked into "I'll ca (ho) ll you" which I don't find lazy at all, in fact the opposite.

Last edited:
  • La La Love
Reactions: Mrm

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I listened to it twice, and I didn't catch that at all myself when listening. It just seems a way of trying to make alcohol fit into the song imo. I don't like it and unless you're listening clearly to each of the lyrics or have knowledge beforehand about what she is meant to say then you miss it completely. I can't imagine most of Europe picking up on it either.

Uto

Veteran
I listened to it twice, and I didn't catch that at all myself when listening. It just seems a way of trying to make alcohol fit into the song imo. I don't like it and unless you're listening clearly to each of the lyrics or have knowledge beforehand about what she is meant to say then you miss it completely. I can't imagine most of Europe picking up on it either.
I think that you'll find that most people do get this and even if they don't, how is this in any way detrimental to the song?

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I think that you'll find that most people do get this and even if they don't, how is this in any way detrimental to the song?

Well i've just gone through a few pages here and not a single person (unless i missed it) has commented on that play on words, in fact numerous who clearly didn't catch it and commented on the lyrics. Considering my post a few above saying only positive things about the song apart from the alcohol you line and it apparently making you cry I can forgive you for jumping into what appears to be defense mode. But if you really want an answer? well not a huge amount as a many viewers don't know a lot of English but considering it's probably the biggest line of the entire song it should be 100% clear and easy to understand. I don't think it is clear and easy to understand at all, especially as plenty seemed to have missed it. But other than that it's a very good song.

Uto

Veteran
Well i've just gone through a few pages here and not a single person (unless i missed it) has commented on that play on words, in fact numerous who clearly didn't catch it and commented on the lyrics. Considering my post a few above saying only positive things about the song apart from the alcohol you line and it apparently making you cry I can forgive you for jumping into what appears to be defense mode.
Bit condescending this. Also jumping to conclusions. Simply trying to understand why you are saying the things you do.
But if you really want an answer? well not a huge amount as a many viewers don't know a lot of English but considering it's probably the biggest line of the entire song it should be 100% clear and easy to understand. I don't think it is clear and easy to understand at all, especially as plenty seemed to have missed it. But other than that it's a very good song.
Yeah ok, but this doesn't answer the question really, this is just circular. Why should the biggest line of a song be 100% clear and easy to understand? But okay, yeah, potentially a tiny bit jarring, can see that.

• Like It
Reactions: Mrm

DenizESC

Banned
And unlike in the fake :ie: entry, here it works :love: I think it sounds this way also because she wears braces

The title of "Alcohol You" is actually worked into "I'll ca (ho) ll you" which I don't find lazy at all, in fact the opposite.

we do stan a random hoe that shouldn't have been there but managed a way to fit theirself in anyway o-o, very relatable as always from Romania.

Top Bottom