3 2.1%

12 8.5%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Romania-scaled.jpg

Uto

Veteran
I don't understand why people are praising this to the skies and gossiping about how it could win. I can scarcely hear anything different from Austria's entry last year, and nobody cared about that.
Saying you hear almost no differences between this and Limits has to be a lie. The only thing the songs have in common is the sparse production and a timid tempo.

Uto

Veteran
1:1 like in Studio

It is somewhat hard to believe that this is actually live, but there are clearly some noticeable differences. So yeah, buckle up boys and girls, she can do it.

Remembrance

It's a solid ballad and it's performed well, but it lacks any sort of impact for me.

Anyway, good luck, Romania :)

markdowd

I don't understand why people are praising this to the skies and gossiping about how it could win. I can scarcely hear anything different from Austria's entry last year, and nobody cared about that. Perhaps there is some mysterious brain mechanism present in some people that makes them able to hear things in certain songs that others can't. But this song sounds like some deeply annoying lyrics being mumbled over some vague musical notes to me. I hate these lyrics a huge amount. They might have been stupid in Romanian too, but at least I wouldn't have heard "I'll 'cohol you when I'm drunk" being sung at me in a way that suggests I'm supposed to take it seriously, and to find it extremely moving.
Comparison with Austria 2019 is rather odd...that was flat, tuneless and Panda had no presence. They are both ballads...that is about it. Romania and Switzerland will both be top 5 at least..

AleksTheDino

Comparison with Austria 2019 is rather odd...that was flat, tuneless and Panda had no presence. They are both ballads...that is about it. Romania and Switzerland will both be top 5 at least..
Completely agree. I heard about the Austria 2019 comparisons more than once now and I find it ridiculous. That song had NOTHING appealing to me and was 3 min of boredom. This and Switzerland have impact.

litewave

To Whom It May Concern:

Alcohol You is not just a strangely worded love song, as you would usually think of a love song. Both the lyric video and the live video from the national selection event suggest another level of meaning, which however parallels the usual love song meaning. Starting at 1:22 and going for half a minute in both videos, there is a presentation of the singer in the form of twins or two symmetrical copies. In the lyric video the twins are static and flat and the symmetry is vertical, while in the live video the twins are moving and having depth and the symmetry is horizontal: they face each other.

The symmetrical twins suggest that in a sense they represent the same person, indeed two complementary parts or aspects of the same person. To understand the nature of these complementary parts of a person we can compare them to a pair of lovers: there is a masculine element characterized by a thrust toward separateness, definiteness, firmness and confidence, and there is a feminine element characterized by inclusiveness, openness, softness and ethereality or uncertainty. For biological and social reasons the masculine aspect has traditionally been expressed primarily by men and the feminine aspect by women, but both aspects are present in every person. They are also somewhat reflected in the information processing styles of the two brain hemispheres: the left hemisphere is more analytic and logical while the right hemisphere is more holistic and intuitive. This dichotomy is reflected even between the individualistic, technological West and the collectivistic, intuitive East, and in politics between the individualistic right wing and the collectivistic left wing – do you see the sparks fly?

In esoteric sources these two complementary aspects of a person are sometimes called ego and soul, and they have this universal story, a story about you: you have embarked on the voyage of exploration of reality and got trapped in mental constructs and in the marvelous world of the physical senses, narrowing your perception and forgetting about a larger reality and about your heavenly origin; thus the ego came to dominate your consciousness and the soul receded into the back of your mind. Communication and interaction between the ego and the soul got disrupted and consequently they both became weakened and your mind contracted as you got stuck on earth. Some refer to this as the fall in spirit, or the rebellion of the angels.

Nevertheless, you slowly started to climb out of the caves and back toward the sky. Over the history of mankind on earth, your mind has undergone a rehab of contraction and relaxation to revive the atrophied ego and soul and strengthen the link between them. In the process you have transformed the earth and prepared it for the reunion of the ego and soul, a syzygy that is coming. Here we are in the danger zone again, facing ourselves, more experienced than the last time, a dream come true if we do it right, a nightmare of collapsing back if we don't.

https://i.imgur.com/5lRCbeH.jpg

• Like It
Reactions: Uto

Uto

Veteran
To Whom It May Concern:

Alcohol You is not just a strangely worded love song, as you would usually think of a love song. Both the lyric video and the live video from the national selection event suggest another level of meaning, which however parallels the usual love song meaning. Starting at 1:22 and going for half a minute in both videos, there is a presentation of the singer in the form of twins or two symmetrical copies. In the lyric video the twins are static and flat and the symmetry is vertical, while in the live video the twins are moving and having depth and the symmetry is horizontal: they face each other.

The symmetrical twins suggest that in a sense they represent the same person, indeed two complementary parts or aspects of the same person. To understand the nature of these complementary parts of a person we can compare them to a pair of lovers: there is a masculine element characterized by a thrust toward separateness, definiteness, firmness and confidence, and there is a feminine element characterized by inclusiveness, openness, softness and ethereality or uncertainty. For biological and social reasons the masculine aspect has traditionally been expressed primarily by men and the feminine aspect by women, but both aspects are present in every person. They are also somewhat reflected in the information processing styles of the two brain hemispheres: the left hemisphere is more analytic and logical while the right hemisphere is more holistic and intuitive. This dichotomy is reflected even between the individualistic, technological West and the collectivistic, intuitive East, and in politics between the individualistic right wing and the collectivistic left wing – do you see the sparks fly?

In esoteric sources these two complementary aspects of a person are sometimes called ego and soul, and they have this universal story, a story about you: you have embarked on the voyage of exploration of reality and got trapped in mental constructs and in the marvelous world of the physical senses, narrowing your perception and forgetting about a larger reality and about your heavenly origin; thus the ego came to dominate your consciousness and the soul receded into the back of your mind. Communication and interaction between the ego and the soul got disrupted and consequently they both became weakened and your mind contracted as you got stuck on earth. Some refer to this as the fall in spirit, or the rebellion of the angels.

Nevertheless, you slowly started to climb out of the caves and back toward the sky. Over the history of mankind on earth, your mind has undergone a rehab of contraction and relaxation to revive the atrophied ego and soul and strengthen the link between them. In the process you have transformed the earth and prepared it for the reunion of the ego and soul, a syzygy that is coming. Here we are in the danger zone again, facing ourselves, more experienced than the last time, a dream come true if we do it right, a nightmare of collapsing back if we don't.

https://i.imgur.com/5lRCbeH.jpg
I see esoteric and holistic writings and debunked pseudoscience like this and I cringe. Nevertheless, I will always support any attempt at finding a deeper meaning in songs if only for the beauty of the words that flow from this process. So while I disagree with your explanation of the dichotomy that is indeed on display, I applaud your well-written exposition on this subject. It was an interesting read.

RoxenJPN

Alcohol You entry will win the Eurovision

Last live performance

Ce-ti Canta Dragostea

Lyrics

Presentation at ESC Official

Roxen is simply beautiful, she will win from Rotterdam and bring the trophy to Romania, and her hometown Cluj Napoca will host the event in the grand BTarena.

Last edited:
Top Bottom