3 2.1%

12 8.5%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Romania-scaled.jpg

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Alcohol You The composition is lovely but I'm kind of running against the tide with it cause I've got problems. That accent and the lyrics (fake news *shudders*). Overall it has some lovely ideas but it just has my heart aching for Monique. I think I..... do like it though. I've just got issues.

Storm Again, big pronounciation problems here. I think her style of singing makes it much worse as she's swirling a lot of words around in her mouth before they are released. The "Hi, I am Storm" sounds ridiculous but it's also infectious. I get it, her name is Storm in the song but coupled with the strong accent it just sounds like bad English every time I hear it.

Colors As this started I feared it was going to be the song I'd actively dislike here but it's alright. It's treads dangerously close to areas I don't like but overall it's quite sweet and I actually like the breakdown.

Cherry Red Predictable structure but very well done. Hear that, listen............. AHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh.. ahhhheeerruuhhhhh.................. The distant cries of the remains of Me Tana. Here's everyone's fun bop for 2020.

Beautiful Disaster This is the song where her strong accent doesn't put up a barrier but actually sort of works, enhances even the experience. It's a moody and mysterious song. It also has absolutely zilch build to it. It's going to be all about the staging.

I don't think I have a strong preference one way or the other. Alcohol You is the best composition but I'd say you should probably go with Cherry Red. Composition wise, the standard is very high with all of them. Remove her voice and tell me that they are actual Billie Eilish songs and you probably could have me fooled.

Last edited:

Kaz

Am I listening to the same set of songs as everyone else? I’m quite disappointed by this selection. The lyrics in all five songs are abysmal at best, which makes it a lot more difficult for me to enjoy the actual songs without cringing (“fake news”, “hi, i am storm” “alcohol you”).

I have to support Cherry Red because generally in songs of this genre, lyrics don’t matter as much. Nobody questioned Tamta when she proudly sung “I’m sh***ing my body tonight” on the Tel Aviv stage!

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Am I listening to the same set of songs as everyone else? I’m quite disappointed by this selection. The lyrics in all five songs are abysmal at best, which makes it a lot more difficult for me to enjoy the actual songs without cringing (“fake news”, “hi, i am storm” “alcohol you”).

I have to support Cherry Red because generally in songs of this genre, lyrics don’t matter as much. Nobody questioned Tamta when she proudly sung “I’m sh***ing my body tonight” on the Tel Aviv stage!

I agree with you about the songs lyrically speaking. I was cringing as well at times. I think the quality of the compositions here though is generally fanastic. I'm going to need more time with them as her voice (and the lyrics) are kind of putting up a bit of a barrier.

Schlagerman1

She has make-up in her eyes after getting drunk last evening. It's a perfectly fine lyric.

Well...if it is that she means, then sure, I can allow to just that forced rhyme for now. :mrgreen:

Anyhow, I can't stop listening to "Cherry Red" and it is not the typical song I would bingelisten to....Would be very interesting to hear in ESC though. xmusic

Centrix

This is Lo-fi, her favorite song in this moment:

ESCREGION

It's Cherry Red or Storm for me!!
I don't like Alcohol You because (Alcohol) it's not Free here... :p:p
-WyDNr.gif

Uto

Veteran
Alcohol You The composition is lovely but I'm kind of running against the tide with it cause I've got problems. That accent and the lyrics (fake news *shudders*). Overall it has some lovely ideas but it just has my heart aching for Monique. I think I..... do like it though. I've just got issues.
We all have issues. Everything here is basically fine with me but the 'fake news' indeed has to go. It just won't do to have such a pretty emotional song and then suddenly that orange blob flashes before you. "They warned me but I have to keep my own truth" or something similar would fit and fix this problem.

mauve

Veteran
I wonder, does anyone get Lena vibes when listening to "Beautiful disaster"? The vocals at the beginning remnids me so much of Lena's "Stranger".

• Like It
Reactions: Uto

Uto

Veteran
I wonder, does anyone get Lena vibes when listening to "Beautiful disaster"? The vocals at the beginning remnids me so much of Lena's "Stranger".
Yes. I had the same and have spoken two others that had the same independently.

Alaska49

i am sorry, are we seriously caring about the lyrics of a romanian selection? it's romania. "hi i am storm" is probably in their top half for the last 10 years of lyrics.

anyway, these are all good compositions that, while not challenging for a super high high placement, will definitely get romania in the final again. they should be proud.

RANKING WITH POINTS
1. beautiful disaster (8 points)
2. cherry red (7 points)
3. alcoholyou (7 points)
4. storm (7 points)
5. colors (6 points)

it's all very close and all of them can grow to more points with time maybe? but the first three seem the most eurovision ready, with cherry red the most confortable for romania's history.

Kaz

i am sorry, are we seriously caring about the lyrics of a romanian selection?

Why shouldn’t we care about lyrics? Songs with bad English or cringe lyrics only perpetuate the stereotype that Eurovision is for crappy trashy Eastern European songs. At the very least, if you can’t write good lyrics in English, why not stick to Romanian? The argument is that the song might “lose its international appeal” but IMO a song with crap English is even more unlikely to have appeal outside of Europe.

Uto

Veteran
Why shouldn’t we care about lyrics? Songs with bad English or cringe lyrics only perpetuate the stereotype that Eurovision is for crappy trashy Eastern European songs. At the very least, if you can’t write good lyrics in English, why not stick to Romanian? The argument is that the song might “lose its international appeal” but IMO a song with crap English is even more unlikely to have appeal outside of Europe.
I don't disagree with this, I mean these are obviously valid points. It's just when I listen to your average American pop music the lyrics are sometimes just completely stupid. It's not like there's a high bar you need to jump over to be appealing even on an international stage.

• Like It
Reactions: Kaz

Alaska49

you are not wrong but romania is one of the last places you can expect this to change because it's not even just the romanian songs for eurovision that are like this. also, if western countries see this as trashy it's their own loss. romanian pop is a gem and a wonder.

Uto

Veteran
I don´t want to be the party crasher, but for some reason I don´t share the enthusiasm for the songs. :confused:xshrug
That's fine, we're all different, but it would be best for your own sanity to accept that to most people this is a highly impressive selection of songs. Cherry Red is an extremely competitive bop and Alcohol You is exactly the type of highly developed emotional pop ballad that is popular nowadays. Romania is right on the money at catching current trends here.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
All them memes about Cherry Red on the Eurovision Romania group page are killing it. 😂

Top Bottom