Contact us

Right or wrong to disqualify 2020 songs for 2021 contest?

Right or wrong to disqualify 2020 songs for 2021 contest?

• Total voters

Neo

As we know, EBU have decided to follow basic protocol and are disallowing all 2020 songs to enter the 2021 for being released before 1 September 2020, despite a major force majeure event forcing the 2020 contest cancellation.

Right or wrong decision?

gingerale

Although I'm sad we never going to see those songs on the Eurovision stage and will never know the results I think it's good to have different songs next year.

In 2021 we will be very happy and excited to get a bunch of new songs. If they would allow the 2020 entries I know that the fandom would constantly moan about the fact that they are SO TIRED OF THIS SONG or OVER IT or BORED WITH EVERYTHING.

Probably many of the fans who are complaining now about the Sep 1 rule.

DenizESC

Banned
While I'm definitely disappointed bcs of the fact we'll never see those songs in ESC stage, I can't imagine the same songs of early 2020 being played in a contest for 2021, mixing it with 2021 and 2020 would be even more weird. I honestly never expected the 2020 songs to stay...

Ezio

Veteran
Something tells me we won't have Eurovision as we know it in 2021 neither. They have to come up with a backup plan (remote Eurovision or a live show from a TV studio), because Covid-19 is not gonna go anywhere. We won't be immune, we won't vaccinated and Covid-19 will not be gone in a year.

Ezio

Veteran
Now confirmed at Online ORF news:

Von der EBU und dem Veranstalterland Niederlande hieß es, man könne kein Event, das ein Voting beinhalte, veranstalten, weil dann die Ausfallszahlungen der Versicherung gefährdet seien.

So, an alternative song contest with voting would have jeopardized their insurance claims. Which also indicates to me, that if they allowed the songs to enter in 2021, it is the same song contest that was planned in 2020 for which they want to claim the insurance money.

I wonder though if insurance takes the bait of cancellation and refusing revenues for the sake of cost damage claims. Then, it would not have been worth it.

But you always have to follow the money to understand the rationale behind a decision, that looks on incomprehensible at first.

Neo

Well that explains it. Despite EBU being EBU, I still couldn't fathom how they could make such a disasterous decision with this, but at least it makes some sense if it was about insurance money.

Ezio

Veteran
Long story short: the EBU sacrificed single-handledly any feasible alternative contest option for petty cash.

Top Bottom