Contact us

Right or wrong to disqualify 2020 songs for 2021 contest?

Right or wrong to disqualify 2020 songs for 2021 contest?

• Total voters

Neo

As we know, EBU have decided to follow basic protocol and are disallowing all 2020 songs to enter the 2021 for being released before 1 September 2020, despite a major force majeure event forcing the 2020 contest cancellation.

Right or wrong decision?

Puma11

It was right decision because it's nonsense to have old and new songs in same year. I was for option "all new or all old songs" but since several countries decide to host new festivals... decision was obvious.

And don't you think that it's an unfair advantage to old songs? Yes, mostly esc fans knows these songs but we already have songs (hint: Iceland) who can be heard all over the Europe and you can't put global hit in same line with song who will be only 2-3 months old. It can't be fair.
And it's not just Iceland, I feel like that several radio friendly songs like Germany, Malta etc. could become popular too.

I understand disappointment but as a fan, I also want new songs and plenty of national festivals after big pause. We will be grateful in January. xcookie

After all, no one is gonna steal these songs from artists, I suppose that they have their careers even besides ESC. The only difference is that they won't perform it on the stage in Rotterdam. 

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
It can be right, it can be wrong. Shortly saying, when EBU wants dem moneys to come, they're also making dem moneys flee because, as example, Symphonix or Melanie Wehbe preferring not to participate in the future, or countries being too broke to pay new participation fees.

Neo

Personally I think they should just delay the whole contest and just rename it 2021 ESC.

So unfair to all involved now crushing people's dreams and hopes, and so outside the fun, friendly and unifying spirit of the contest to ram it with silly protocol from the 'politburo' for no good reason other than 'the rules' without a single consideration for the monumental events taking place.

Neo

I mean the whole point of the 'no songs released before September the previous year' -rule is obviously just for no songs to gain an unfair advantage with early exposure, so to use it here is simply meaningless.

The incompetence of Eurovision Song Contest Reference Group to use this argument here is just shocking. Somebody ought to take them to task.

Ezio

Veteran
To expect that ESC 2021 will rise from the ashes would be a little rich, after EBU Reference Group pissed of songwriters, producers, broadcasters, performers and last but not least us. We don't know how long Sars-Cov-2 will spread next year again, or if economic downturn wipes of broacasters revenues, so that they can't participate. But we know that many are already insulted and discouraged and may consider to give it a pass.

A-lister

Veteran
I've come to terms with that it was the right decision, not because "the songs would be too old", this argument isn't very valid imo, outside of the ESC bubble most of these entries are still unknown to the masses and would even remain so in a year from now. Also, if a song is good, eventhough we live in fast-moving times, it should still be good a year from now, sure if someone listens to it a lot it can get tired, and it might be out of trend, but in the end of the day good songs never die and if it wouldn't survive a year, maybe it wasn't the right choice in the first place. I mean it should be optional after all, if broadcasters would opt-out then it would be their prerogative, the same if they would go with the same entries, that's a risk/chance they would have to take so in that sense, I think it should be optional and now the EBU simply takes away that option. On the other hand it would be good, after the crazy 2020, to just start on a clean slate.

We have to understand that even with the crazy circumstances, ESC 2020 was not actually postponed, it was cancelled, so yeah probably Rotterdam will host in next year an probably the same team will be responsible, however the September 1st rule remains if it is actually a "new" ESC.

I see some songwriters/producers get upset, and sure I understand it's their products and while alot of people say that acts should get a second shot, I think being a song contest the people behind the songs are even more important since they are the reason these songs exist in the first place, however some reactions also shed a light on the whole issue with modern-day ESC with the whole "shop for songs" going on, the loudest critic so far has been this Bulgarian songwriter who had like what, 3 entries this year? And while the current rules allow that, I think it takes away the authenticity, but that's a different topic though, so what he basically wants is that three or so different national broadcasters should stick with his entries, even if he has zero connection to those countries. Sure, they bought his entries, but still... but again, it's a different topic.

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
This Bulgarian songwriter who had like what, 3 entries this year, is not a sell-out like the Swedish songwriters who submit their songs to every TV station around Europe, but he is asked by other countries to write them songs. A lot of work for no proceeds. If he wasn't asked by other countries, he'd happily produce songs for his two home countries. ORF ditched him twice in a row, so he'd stick to Bulgaria, if they can afford to participate. Swedes would love to see him go for sure, though.

A-lister

Veteran
This Bulgarian songwriter who had like what, 3 entries this year, is not a sell-out like the Swedish songwriters who submit their songs to every TV station around Europe, but he is asked by other countries to write them songs. A lot of work for no proceeds. If he wasn't asked by other countries, he'd happily produce songs for his two home countries. ORF ditched him twice in a row, so he'd stick to Bulgaria, if they can afford to participate. Swedes would love to see him go for sure, though.

Gosh, what is it with people directly jumping on Sweden and missing the point made just because a Swede made the point? Blame the EBU for allowing this, criticize the rules of the game, not the players. There's a flawed logic in such responses as it's unrelated to the context.

I don't care if it's a Swede, Greek, Russian or a Bulgarian selling their songs to broadcasters or how they do it, it just so happens that in this particular edition he is the person who so far been the loudest critic about not allowing the same entries, and it could be connected to him being the guy with the most entries in this edition, so I think it's valid to point it out in this discussion, what past editions' Swedish penned entries got to do with it is irrelevant and maybe you happen to prefer this guy's entries over the others, which is fine, but that's beyond the point and shouldn't cloud one's judgement on the actual topic.

As for the side point I made, I was always promoting a rule that would allow only locals or people who are at least well integrated in the local music scene to be allowed to make entries for a particular country. So I'd be happy to see my fellow country men stop spreading their entries around Europe, just as much as I would be with the rest doing that. Also you make it sound like those broadcasters are picking Swedish penned entries at gun point?, well here's the news: they aren't!, so it's just as "authentic" as them picking entries by this guy, blame the broadcasters for allowing those entries in their selections, not the songwriters, if you think this guy is less hungry to have his entries all over Europe, think again, it's business for all of them and won't change until the EBU changes the rules and/-or local broadcasters change their mindsets.

Last edited:

Neo

Could someone condense the argument why all songs couldn't just be moved to the 2021 contest?

Citelis

Could someone condense the argument why all songs couldn't just be moved to the 2021 contest?
Because some countries may want to host national finals ans some of those national finals are important and cannot be canceled!

HayashiM

Veteran
Because some countries may want to host national finals ans some of those national finals are important and cannot be canceled!

If the said national finals are so important, than there is enough merit in winning them without going to Eurovision as a result, right? Especially when you know that beforehand as an artist, already when applying to compete - unlike the winners from this year.

Furthermore, the NFs didn't need to be cancelled even if songs from 2020 had been allowed, the decision of whom and what to send could've been left on the individual broadcasters. The 1st September rule is meant to level the field, however in this case, the field is already level for everyone. It is true that the 2020 edition got cancelled -> which means all the more reason to allow the 2020 songs to compete in 2021, as technically speaking, 2020 has never existed.

Bref, booo, booo, EBU.

Neo

Exactly
The mind boggles that the (possible) wishes of some countries for a new national final (because their song sucked?) should trump all the effort and creativity from all the countries' previous finals, and everything else that's invested in it.

This is a blunder, EBU. Realize it and reverse your decision. You'll gain more respect from changing your mind than sticking with this disaster, especially in these times..

Citelis

Mixing songs from two different years is very wrong! EBU did the right choice once again!

Puma11

People, get over it finally. Like really. xcookie

I was dissapointed at the beginning but ffs, it's not that I'll cry because of music festival and because EBU said that they need to make new songs next year. Wow, such a big deal. I don't know how to sleep at nights.
I don't give a fuck anymore, honestly. It's not that they'll change their minds either so it's just another reason to get over it.

Anyway, what's the point of NT festivals if winner won't go on ESC? Then it's pointless (with exception of Sanreno).

Neo

What's with the exaggeration and moralizing? You seem upset.

kayak

I think, that is right because for a one year everything can change. Artists voice, attitude, etc. New entries will be more exciting.

tomos2019

Well I did think they should have done the same songs next year but I know that realistically it won't happen now. I'll probably be fine by the time the eventual contest actually happens.

Top Bottom