Contact us

Right or wrong to disqualify 2020 songs for 2021 contest?

Right or wrong to disqualify 2020 songs for 2021 contest?

• Total voters

Neo

As we know, EBU have decided to follow basic protocol and are disallowing all 2020 songs to enter the 2021 for being released before 1 September 2020, despite a major force majeure event forcing the 2020 contest cancellation.

Right or wrong decision?

MalagaToledo

Banned
Absolutely right. This was a very weak year. I've barely managed to make my top 10. It works for some countries, some countries will have worse result than if it was held this year. Works for me. Im just sad we will have to wait so longgggg till song premieres. Im glad I won't see suisse, Lithuania and Bulgaria songs. I don't get such hype.

mauve

Veteran
I think that every country should have the right to decide whether it want to keep the song from 2020 or not. But I can also understand people who say that a mix of old and new songs is strange. But I still favour the right to choose for the sake of the artists, song writers and producers.

Ezio

Veteran
I think it is wrong, especially after I listened for one hour to Boris Milanov yesterday on wiwigbloggs youtube channel.

The songwriters were forced to submit their songs by 9th of March, which is not the same thing as releasing them. They wereonly released to the EBU Eurovision channel. 9th of March was a date when rumours already had it that ESC 2020 might be postponed or canceled. So, for countries that haven't submitted their songs yet as of this date, such as Bulgaria or Russia, it was a perfect trap.

Furthermore, the pre-Eurovision audience is small. Too small to make an impact. First of all, the performances are voted for and not the music videos. No one will see a performance. 5-10% of televoters already know all the songs. There is no harm in allowing the songs to be carried forward to 2021.

Songwriters for Eurovision 2020 songs don't see any royalties, except for their songs chart without Eurovision. Singers get a lifeline for 2021, songwriters don't. It's very unfair.

But I can also understand people who say that a mix of old and new songs is strange.

Who would these people be? Only die-hard Eurofans and blogosphere. The vast majority of viewers at home and juries would not care. So, I cannot really grasp this notion.

Last edited:

JamieBrown

I absolutely adore that some people tend to argue behalf on their personal opinion about the songs. You guys show so much respect to the music. Keep on that attitude xup

Personally, I'm not sure whether it's a good or a bad decision. I'm more about to carry on, but I can understand the songwriters and the artists that wanted to carry on

mauve

Veteran
I think it is wrong, especially after I listened for one hour to Boris Milanov yesterday on wiwigbloggs youtube channel.

The songwriters were forced to submit their songs by 9th of March, which is not the same thing as releasing them. They wereonly released to the EBU Eurovision channel. 9th of March was a date when rumours already had it that ESC 2020 might be postponed or canceled. So, for countries that haven't submitted their songs yet as of this date, such as Bulgaria or Russia, it was a perfect trap.

Furthermore, the pre-Eurovision audience is small. Too small to make an impact. First of all, the performances are voted for and not the music videos. No one will see a performance. 5-10% of televoters already know all the songs. There is no harm in allowing the songs to be carried forward to 2021.

Songwriters for Eurovision 2020 songs don't see any royalties, except for their songs chart without Eurovision. Singers get a lifeline for 2021, songwriters don't. It's very unfair.

Who would these people be? Only die-hard Eurofans and blogosphere. The vast majority of viewers at home and juries would not care. So, I cannot really grasp this notion.

I said I can UNDERSTAND this opinion, but I rather agree with my first stated opinion. And with people I meant the users here in this forum.

Sammy

Veteran
From the perspective of today it is for sure frustrating both for songwriters, producers, artists and fans. Especially for songwriters as they might not be presented with a new song of theirs, even if the artist stays the same. Fans also might see this as a missed opportunity to root for a song they really like and see it - hopefully - doing well.
On the other hand, if we think about how we (the fans) will be feeling about this in one years time, I might think that we'd rather prefer new songs than having the songs that were known and played for over a year.

CaraMia

I think it's wrong. The songs should be the same because the singers and composers put all the work into their entries and it's not their fault that the contest was cancelled. For such an extreme situation like this, the rule of the 1st September that applies to the songs shouldn't be enforced. Yes, the songs wouldn't be new to us, but they would be pretty much new to everyone else outside of the Eurovision bubble. And as for me, I know next year I will be like "I wonder how this country would have done with the song that was supposed to represent them last year" and I won't be able to enjoy the new songs so freely.

hawadharma

The more I think about it, yes it is wrong to disqualify 2020 entries like that.

It's not an issue to re-use this year's song in 2021, the potential songs in 2021 can wait.
If there is any potential bop in 2021, music producers have to restrain themselves from releasing it until 2022.

The worst thing that could happen is that, 2022 selection will be a bloodbath because all 'supposedly' 2021 songs are carried forward.
Of course, uncertainty is always an issue. Even now, we don't know when this pandemic virus will eventually die.

LastDreamer

Banned
100 % right.
Please, also disqualify the internal selections of 2020 acts too.

LastDreamer

Banned
We were all waiting for you to answer!
I hate this endless repeating mantra "send 2020 acts again" in almost every second post after the cancellation of ESC 2020.

Also I'm against the internal selections. My country didn't have NF in last 8 years. With pre-selections system only Lazarev could easily win, the rest our entries are mostly the choice of broadcaster, not the people.

Last edited:

Uto

Veteran
If I have to make a call based on the binary juxtaposition of right and wrong only wrong can be chosen. It does not feel fair to those who worked hard on these entries. However, I feel like the decision to disallow these entries for 2021 is not without merit either. The momentum for building hype is lost and it's impossible to get that back.

What I dislike a lot is countries' broadcasters choosing to send a different artist next year. Those countries I will just not vote for on principle and if the people who made such a decision die I will applaud the reaper's choices.

Yazy

I guess I´m in a minority, but I voted right.

Sucks for all the hardwork that was put into a song, but I just don´t like the idea of some countries keeping their song and some countries changing it. To me, that´s just not the equal playing field. Either all the old ones or all the new ones.

Ezio

Veteran
Eurovision 2020 was cancelled and not postponed or changed in its format because the producers and EBU are certainly greedy capitalists who want to claim damage from their insurance companies.

If they would change the format this year or allow songs of 2020 to participate in 2021, they can't argue that there is a loss and lose their claim. Allowing songs of 2020 in 2021does not speak for cancellation but for postponement.

Of course, this is morally corrupt and really sad. I hope EBU goes bust with their claims and the best songwriters flee Eurovision. They don't care about no one but themselves and their run for the money.

they-dont-care-about-us.gif

Verjamem

I think it's wrong, mainly because EBU decided too quickly. Yeah, rejecting all 41 songs would be a tough decision earlier or later, but why they didn't give themselves some time to think, maybe find a better solution?

The same about not postponing, but cancelling ESC 2020.

mauve

Veteran
What I dislike a lot is countries' broadcasters choosing to send a different artist next year. Those countries I will just not vote for on principle and if the people who made such a decision die I will applaud the reaper's choices.

:gimmefive: Same here!

• Like It
Reactions: Uto
Top Bottom