lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Re: Québec // Groenland - Immune // WV 27

Deadline extended by a few days! :D

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Thank you to Robert, Eulaliya, and Kai for your votes xheart xheart xheart

There's something that's really taking it out at the moment: the one that I thought would be a real risk, frankly, so I'm glad to see people take to it.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

This NF made me really emotional. This looks like a film I have to check out, and I will. The three pieces you've chosen are absolutely stunning. You made it very difficult for me by not accepting my 2.33333333333 scores I wanted to send. It really doesn't matter to me what wins here. You're going to have another singular and moving entry. I'm a bit worried though as one piece to me here sounds like it would make the "will likely slay at WV" piece. The other two a bit and much less so, but maybe i'm wrong. Anyway, best of luck Calvin, and thank you for sharing thesexheart

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Annnnnd entry sent! Thank you to our three previous voters + Cesar and Mario for voting xheart Things ended in a tie, but luckily, the Condorcet method solved our problem, so I've sent the entry you all preferred by a 3-2 margin.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

WV 78: Arcade Fire - We're All Leaving

Lyrics:

Despite being among the most treasured songs I've sent to the game, not really a whole lot to say about why. Just...let the song make you feel whatever you feel. It gives me great pain, but maybe it gives you something else.

ZoboCamel

My first thoughts upon hearing this song: "whiteshoes, stop hacking lavi and get back to your own account." Seriously, this sounds so much like something he'd send :lol: I can absolutely see why you love it too though. Brilliantly emotional song.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

I don't think I actually got the chance to thank everyone who helped Quebec into the final this edition xheart It means a lot to be back with this dear song in particular. My 30th entry is coming up, and I have something kind of odd planned for it. Here's your first (and probably not last) hint:

255px-Flag_of_Iraq.svg.png

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

WorldVision 79: Peter Pringle - The Epic of Gilgamesh

Translation of the Sumerian:
In those days, in those distant days, in those nights, in those remote nights, in those years, in those distant years; in days of yore, when the necessary things had been brought into manifest existence, in days of yore, when the necessary things had been for the first time properly cared for, when bread had been tasted for the first time in the shrines of the Land, when the ovens of the Land had been made to work, when the heavens had been separated from the earth, when the earth had been delimited from the heavens, when the fame of mankind had been established...

This is an oddly poignant entry for me. Gilgamesh was the text which really sparked my passion for ancient literature when I was 11 (a passion that I've turned into part of my degree). This particular passage comes from a portion of Gilgamesh in which he and a former adversary come together; I still remember my history teacher at the time having us think of it like some kind of Batman & Robin-esque superhero duo. :p Hoping you all enjoy it! :D

Peter Pringle himself was a famous name very briefly in the late 70s/early 80s who now does all sorts of cool stuff like this, preserving classic languages through music and doing theremin things, like this stunning cover of one of my past entries, "Over the Rainbow:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6KbEnGnymk

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

You wuz robbed xcry1 Fabulous entry and iconic music like this *never* does well in WV. Hope it doesn't stop you trying xrunhug xkiss

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Ahoy hoy, y'all! So whatever my next journey ends up being (currently considering options on six continents so the narrowing down process is going GREAT thanks for asking), it's likely going to begin with something internal. Hence, I thought I'd do an NF for my third and final entry for Quebec Round One! This national final is devoted to the Canadian musical dynasty that is the Wainwright family.

Song 1 Rufus Wainwright - Sonnet 29 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngk4sRQ2C-Y
Song 2 Martha Wainwright - Proserpina https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4di1pbzveQ
Song 3 Kate & Anna McGarrigle ft. Linda Ronstadt - Heart Like a Wheel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzpz_q7mg0M

Voting System: Distribute 7 points between the songs as you see fit - only restriction on how is that everything must be rounded at least to the nearest .5. Deadline will be well after the final deadline - I'll set an official date when we know more. Happy (?) listening! :D

Who's Voted?
:lond: :hk: ::mida :pe: :jp:

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Voting reminders time xheat If you don't get a reminder, it doesn't mean that I want your votes any more or less; I'm just microtargeting based on who I think is most likely to benefit from a reminder.
[MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] [MENTION=15323]Eulaliya[/MENTION] [MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION] [MENTION=12553]Krishoes[/MENTION] [MENTION=11243]ZoboCamel[/MENTION] [MENTION=6519]Tinchey[/MENTION] [MENTION=13948]fer20[/MENTION] [MENTION=10140]cegs5[/MENTION] and let's not go overboard with these

People with NFs: will get to them soon!

Eulaliya

:hk: has voted! There's something sentimental and ethereal about the songs that I would consider giving them high points, but oh well... Good luck! xcheer

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Thank you to Eulaliya, Robert, and Kai for voting xheart Here's where things stand after three voters:

Still very much anyone's game!

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

I'm setting the deadline for this NF at 23:59 CET tomorrow (Friday), so get those votes in while you can if you want to have some input! :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

It's a great NF! Certainly comes with :lond:'s seal of approval
November-27-2012-18-59-35-se.jpg

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Annnnnnd we are closed! Thank you to our first trio + Cesar & James for your votes :D :D Here's how things ended up:

So...bit of a landslide :p

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

WV 80: Martha Wainwright - Proserpina

It is my pleasure to share this shudder-inducing, passionate song with you all this edition xheart

Lyrics:
Proserpina Proserpina
Come home to mama, come home to mama
Proserpina Proserpina
Come home to mother, come home to mama now

I shall punish the earth
I shall turn down the heat
I shall take away every morsel to eat
I shall turn every field into stone
Where I walk, crying alone

Crying for Proserpina
Proserpina, come home to mama
Come home to mama now

Proserpina Proserpina
Go home to your mother
Go home to Hera
Proserpina Proserpina
Go home to your mother
Go home to Hera now

She has punished the earth
She has turned down the heat
She has taken away every morsel to eat
She has turned every field into stone
Where she walks, crying alone
Crying for…

Proserpina Proserpina
Proserpina Proserpina
Come home to mama, come home to mama now

giphy-131.gif

She has turned every field into stone
Where she walks, crying alone
Crying for…

Proserpina Proserpina
Proserpina Proserpina
Come home to mama, come home to mama now

NF results coming soon, but the short version is that it was first or tied for first in everyone's rankings.​

Top Bottom