Contact us

Pre-recorded backing vocals to be allowed in 2021

Realest

SVT proved often enough to know better whats good for Eurovision than the ESC-Fandom, so I trust them.
Also the Change is Corona-related and not to benefit certain Countries.

Chrisiam

Obviously they are doing this because they know Jedward will be representing Ireland in 2021 so they want to give them the best shot of winning as the salt created for when they do so will be able restock the world's supplies of it, making up for shortages due to COVID aaaannnnnd meaning that less power and fossil fuels will be used to mine the rest of it thus saving us all from Global Warming!

Its really obvious when you think about it, how are you lot not seeing that? The answer is right there in front of you!

I mean its obviously not being done so as to benefit the acts that can't actually sing live, or at least not in a hyper controlled environment like a television studio where the broadcaster and record label subtly manipulate the audience to vote for the act they want to win by giving said act priority spots in the running order, alter audio levels of the vocals, and give them more endearing V.T.s I mean where the act might and their backing singers won't be as scared as when its done in front of a huge crowd like Eurovision.

Yeah, its not that at all, no.

Loindici

Veteran
"I thought I could organize freedom, how Scandinavian of me?"

zLldLE1YR4GOBQxkBNNc_Screen%20Shot%202017-09-12%20at%2012.19.29%20PM.jpg

Last edited:

Laepo1

Humm... what would be the point of having live performances if half the vocals are pre-recorded ?

Exactly. No point at all. Better to have a radio show.
Also, if the point to implement this aberration is to have less people on stage (or to permit the delegations to travel with less bodies), then just limit the number of people allowed on stage. period. Instead of 6, let it be only 3 or 4, and reduce the staff elsewhere. I really don't see how giving the choice to have this pre-recording this will stop the spread of Corona. Maybe it's just a, gasp, silly excuse?

We know that in some entries it's the backing vocalists who do the heavy lifting, and in two years there will be less and less capable singers and just cutie pies that can't sing shit but can shake their asses with a catchy song while relying on the backing vocals.. A percentage of the entries are like that already.

Neo

Happy to hear this. Totally agree. Poor backing singers shouldn't affect the outcome.

Sammy

Veteran
Happy to hear this. Totally agree. Poor backing singers shouldn't affect the outcome.
On the other hand: bad lead vocalists shouldn't be masked by technically polished background vocals. You can always find good live back vocalists. There are zillions out there waiting for a job. I also never really heard about a song that failed at Eurovision due to the backing vocalists. And even if there were, I didn't perceive this as a problem that was so important that a rule change was necessary. On the other hand the new rule turns the contest even more artificial and opens the door to foul play (autotune, hiding parts of the lead vocal inside the prerecorded part and so on...)

Neo

But surely the focus should be on the song and not the singing. To me this will make for better songs and that's what matters most.

tuorem

As other people said already, they might as well go full playback next time tbh, I mean, why bother turning a mic on when literally everything else will be non-live and each delegation could opt for drowning the mic feed depending on the singer's skills?

With the orchestra long gone and the music not getting played live, the live vocals were the main interest of the shows as far as I'm concerned. It is already upsetting enough to have interval acts lip-syncing, I could have done without that rule. Not to mention it is likely to remove depth from the performances because backing voices, choirs, harmonies, etc. always noticeably sound different in a studio and on stage.

Another "good idea" coming from over there. What next?

Sammy

Veteran
But surely the focus should be on the song and not the singing. To me this will make for better songs and that's what matters most.
If it's only for the song, there's no need for a live event, is there?
For me it's the whole package: song, staging and of course vocal performance.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
I like this change, as I always found the figure of the "backing singer" in general pretty humiliating, because, why should a singer go to ESC, be on stage, only to do a bit of "ooh", "aah" for another singer?

Sammy

Veteran
I like this change, as I always found the figure of the "backing singer" in general pretty humiliating, because, why should a singer go to ESC, be on stage, only to do a bit of "ooh", "aah" for another singer?
Yeah! Let's make ESC an artificial computer tailored non-event, where the singer is alone on stage with some mp3-files.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
Yeah! Let's make ESC an artificial computer tailored non-event, where the singer is alone on stage with some mp3-files.

It will not become that, don't overdramatize.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
Hopefully not, but you just advocated for that two posts earlier. :mrgreen:

Ffs, stop being delusional. I didn't say that. I said that a singer on its own, with its own dignity, shouldn't stoop so low at being a back vocal for another singer, while that other singer gets the glory of actually singing the song. I just don't like backing singers, period.

Sammy

Veteran
Ffs, stop being delusional. I didn't say that. I said that a singer on its own, with its own dignity, shouldn't stoop so low at being a back vocal for another singer, while that other singer gets the glory of actually singing the song. I just don't like backing singers, period.
The number of things you don't like in music is amazing.
If you see how singers appreciate their colleagues, if you watch them have fun together, if you listen to them with how much esteem the talk about them, short: if you see how much teamwork this is, you would call them "humiliated" or "low".
Also your last post is pretty contradictory in itself (esp. because of the last sentence). But I let you find this out on your own.:mrgreen:

P.S.: I would appreciate if you could stay - despite heated discussions - polite. Calling me twice "delusional" respectively "in denial" in less the 15 min is quite rude.

Last edited:

tuorem

To each their own opinion of course, but I think backing vocalists are often important and even crucial depending on the song: I would not imagine "Molitva", "Legenda", "The Secret Is Love", "Round And Round" or "It's All About You" having the same energy/impact with pre-recorded backing voices for instance.

And sometimes those people do almost all the hard work: Jedward's entries, "Popular", "Dance You Off", "Storm" and probably others I don't have in mind right now.

Live voices make a performance sound "warmer", contrary to computer-corrected ones. I can only hope many delegations will opt for the "traditional" way instead of seeing there a mere way to reduce costs.

John1

To each their own opinion of course, but I think backing vocalists are often important and even crucial depending on the song: I would not imagine "Molitva", "Legenda", "The Secret Is Love", "Round And Round" or "It's All About You" having the same energy/impact with pre-recorded backing voices for instance.

And sometimes those people do almost all the hard work: Jedward's entries, "Popular", "Dance You Off", "Storm" and probably others I don't have in mind right now.

Live voices make a performance sound "warmer", contrary to computer-corrected ones. I can only hope many delegations will opt for the "traditional" way instead of seeing there a mere way to reduce costs.

^ preach

Top Bottom