Contact us

Pre-recorded backing vocals to be allowed in 2021

Mainshow

Veteran
Actually, I have always hated it when backing singers aren't even allowed to be on stage (but hidden somewhere). I acutally think it deceives the audience since they cannot detect the sources of the other vocals.

A-lister

Veteran
Actually, I have always hated it when backing singers aren't even allowed to be on stage (but hidden somewhere). I acutally think it deceives the audience since they cannot detect the sources of the other vocals.

I'm actually not bothered by this at all, I think the acts are already under so many rules that adding just another one on top of that will hinder them even further to bring their visions for an "ideal" stage show to life.

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad if they (the backing singers) are visible, they are also part of the game, but it shouldn't be compulsory and they aren't the main act after all, they are just backing singers and their job is to mainly provide backing vocals. I think it's up to each delegation to decide what works best for their respective entries, in some stage shows it could kill the dynamic if the backing singers need to be visible on stage, while in others the backing singers add to the dynamic, in the end of the day it comes down to the vision for the stage show for a particular entry and we should allow as much artistic freedom as possible (given the rules).

With that said though, I completely dislike the idea of allowing pre-recorded backing vocals as it's like opening pandora's box and less talented acts can easier hide behind that and some countries might even "cheat".

empo21

Veteran
Just allowing pre-recorded vocals as a rule is worrying as many delegations can find ways to abuse that rule and pretty much get their acts to lip sync.

If this is a rule that'll be passed on to the next edition, they need to find a way to limit how much of the instrumental can contain pre-recorded sounds and whether or not these sounds can be replicated live in normal circumstances.

jatojo

There has already been entries at Eurovision where the singer's vocal had some background vocal on top of it almost the whole way through. I hate it. "The Lucky One" from Estonia 2021 also has it, just to mention an example. I don't understand why they don't ban this.

I also think it is wrong to prerecord background vocals in general.

crashworld

Veteran
I agree, I am not fond of the pre-recorded backup vocals but if it's due to safety reasons because of the pandemic then I can understand. But I still think they need to set the rules as to what is allowed and what is not.

I supposed ESC committee will have a panel set up to review these pre-recorded backup vocals and approve/reject them before they can be used in the actual performances?

FoxOfShadows

Well now we're seeing camera feeds, we can finally hear how prominent the backing vocals are. Mostly it hasn't been to egregious but I think there are definitely some countries starting to exploit it unfairly. Croatia and Azerbaijan in particularly are noticeable. Albina doesn't sing the chorus at all aside from the "oh no" part. It's all prerecorded vocals doing it (which I thought was against the rules laid out before).

I hope that fans will make some noise against keeping them next year and onwards. I know the EBU may well not listen but I fear for the integrity of the contest if this remains

theditz83

Veteran
There is definitely a big imbalance in the volume of the backing vocals in the chorus for Croatia and Azerbaijan compared with most other entries. I guess the effect is that having such a reliance on finely tuned and corrected vocals in some sections of the song, it makes the imperfections of the live sections stand out even more (Albina's "Oh nooooooooo" especially) so it may end up backfiring for those entries.

I think it depends on the production techniques involved in the original studio recording. You could tell that those two songs used major layering of the lead vocals that I guess stripping that away to just a single live vocal would sound empty to some degree, but I hope that delegations in the future would find the right balance of still raising the live vocal volume and keeping the back-up vocals in the background to avoid the one inevitable lip-syncing arguments.

A-lister

Veteran
There is definitely a big imbalance in the volume of the backing vocals in the chorus for Croatia and Azerbaijan compared with most other entries. I guess the effect is that having such a reliance on finely tuned and corrected vocals in some sections of the song, it makes the imperfections of the live sections stand out even more (Albina's "Oh nooooooooo" especially) so it may end up backfiring for those entries.

I think it depends on the production techniques involved in the original studio recording. You could tell that those two songs used major layering of the lead vocals that I guess stripping that away to just a single live vocal would sound empty to some degree, but I hope that delegations in the future would find the right balance of still raising the live vocal volume and keeping the back-up vocals in the background to avoid the one inevitable lip-syncing arguments.

There shouldn't be any future for allowing pre-recorded back-up vocals period! Fine if EBU truly is using the system this year to limit the amount of people, but it should be gone by next year and I think we can already see why.

Instead, rise the number of people who can be on stage (it's a change that is long overdue anyways), it's understandable that it hasn't been introduced this year but I'd be happy for a change like that even for next year. I think 8-10 people should be fine, no one will be forced to use that many people of course, but with entries that have dancers it can help balance with the live backing vocals needed to.

theditz83

Veteran
I only mentioned about the future since it's clear that the contest will continue to evolve and I wouldn't be surprised that the EBU pass a rule to allow pre-recorded backing vocals going forward despite the clear objections of many. Personally I don't see it as a major issue, but also I understand why others do have a major issue with it.

Jopi

There shouldn't be any future for allowing pre-recorded back-up vocals period! Fine if EBU truly is using the system this year to limit the amount of people, but it should be gone by next year and I think we can already see why.

Instead, rise the number of people who can be on stage (it's a change that is long overdue anyways), it's understandable that it hasn't been introduced this year but I'd be happy for a change like that even for next year. I think 8-10 people should be fine, no one will be forced to use that many people of course, but with entries that have dancers it can help balance with the live backing vocals needed to.
Oh finally completely agree with you. I was happy when they said about prerecorded vocals (which means more people on stage dancing or whatever) but yeah... It'not good. I wish they can put 8-10 people limit. That 6 is meeh.

Quent91

Scandinavians have kept destroying this contest since they took it in hands 10 years ago. I have no excitement for this year's contest tbh. I don't like what ESC has become.

A-lister

Veteran
I only mentioned about the future since it's clear that the contest will continue to evolve and I wouldn't be surprised that the EBU pass a rule to allow pre-recorded backing vocals going forward despite the clear objections of many. Personally I don't see it as a major issue, but also I understand why others do have a major issue with it.

I hear you, and unfortunately you're probably right seeing that EBU are like a bunch of pathological liars...

We know what "one-off thing" in their world means and I'm afraid it's here to stay :(

I am not generally against the use of pre-recorded backing vocals, but in a contest I find it problematic, partly because some acts can hide behind it and also seeing that some delegations aren't playing the game clean.

crashworld

Veteran
Since we don't have the full performances to judge, perhaps once this edition is over, we will be able to tell how many delegations in total have taken advantage of the pre-recorded backing vocals and who are guilty of abusing them. That'll be something interesting to look into. And see how this has any impact on the results.

Iker

Veteran
Since we don't have the full performances to judge, perhaps once this edition is over, we will be able to tell how many delegations in total have taken advantage of the pre-recorded backing vocals and who are guilty of abusing them. That'll be something interesting to look into. And see how this has any impact on the results.
I think countries abusing it like Moldova will not do well so even if the rule stays it won't become a norm.

Top Bottom