Contact us

Potential changes in Eurovision and their plausibility

Daybreak

So every year there are conversations about which things in Eurovision song requirements or the organization of the contest should change and how (language rules, whether there should be LED screens or not, how many performers should be allowed on stage etc.) and I thought we could have a thread to discuss which of these are actually plausible or perhaps even necessary (like for example, bringing back the full orchestra is likely not going to happen for a variety of reasons, but that doesn't mean live music is completely out of the question). I'm not sure if this should cover hypothetical voting changes as well because I feel like this can easily take over the thread, but as long as there are reasonable arguments made it's probably OK. :)

I personally think the 3-minute time limit of songs is a rule that could use some tweaking since it places significant limits on artistic expression and often results in songs being cut for ESC, ending abruptly and so on. On the other hand, the streaming era apparently has led to a lot of pop music in general becoming shorter and we could run into an imbalance in how much time different entries get to impress the audience (and then there's the length of the whole show to consider, although it might be possible to trim it in other places).

Realest

- Increasing the Songlength to 03:30
- Reducing the Time for Intervalacts
- Increasing the Amount of Jurymembers to 7

Otherwise I dont see anything which could be improved.

ESC94

@Realest

I agree with you that the interval acts were much too long in recent years and should be reduced to save time.

Otherwise I´m quite satisfied about the current state of the contest.

Loindici

Veteran
Anything @Realest said but with a bit of tweak:
1. 03.30 is okay for me as long as it doesn't affect the rehearsals too much. Even like in 30 minutes per song with a 3 minute song, they can only rehearse like 5 times so amount of rehearsal turns with 3 and a half minute song needs to be considered. If 3 minutes are considered more effective thrn no change is needed.
2. I'm okay with interval acts but only if they're placed on appropriate timeframes (as example, at the televoting or at the opening). The green room conversation could be reduced also.
3. Yeah, 7 is a good amount. 80-86 new juries can be tolerated in administration.

Otherwise, the stage, perhaps? I wanted some designer variation. As much as I like Wieder I really think 2021 should be some other team's year.

Top Bottom