Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

GRAND FINAL LIVE

DAY 1 - 16 LIVE STREAMS

Last edited by a moderator:

A-lister

Veteran
I think I already might have said, but can we just take a moment to applaud the Dutch professionalism? xclap

Hosts - I think these might have been the best hosts in years and years! While I might prefer the humor of Petra, we've had so many annoying hosts over the years with very forced jokes, screaming all over the place and just chaotic... not this year, it was professional, organized and for once 4 hosts didn't feel like too many cooks (which 3+ hosts have felt most of the years).

Stage - Not sure if it's my favorite so far yet, but really nice staging, it was big but didn't look empty, nice use of backdrops and camera work.

Venue - Even with a smaller audience, it didn't feel empty, we've had years which felt emptier than this even when the full capacity was allowed.

What I didn't like were the postcards and interval acts though. I am in the camp that think interval acts should showcase the country, this had very little "Netherlands" written to it.

Last edited:

mauve

Veteran
My guess is we will not see another rock song winning Eurovision for the next ten years.
Unfortunately that could be true. So let's enjoy this moment the more!

tuorem

Gurl I must know where did this photo you're using come from it is iconique
OMG I'm glad you like it sis. :LOL: It comes from a random picture uploaded on Google Maps by an internet user who went to McDonald's with his family. I thought the girl was working that meme-material smile like a champ. Poor her! If she knew I turned her into a personal meme. :ROFLMAO:

Iker

Veteran
What was the most surprising result for you last night? I expected Belgium to be top 8 in the jury voting somehow.

midnightsun

Veteran
My view on the GF show yesterday:

I really enjoyed the hosts. They were friendly, serious (not that I mind a little humor but many hosts in the past were too cringy), calm.

I also enjoyed the intervall acts. I thought they were pretty good.

I really dislike the staging and the camera work. It may be downsized due to Corona but picture and especially lights were terrible, almost unbearable at times. It made a lot of performances not enjoyable for me. Everything was so lacklustre, only black, white, red and sometimes blue and silver dresses (shoutout to :de: and :nl:).
There was far too much going on on stage... smoke, wind, pyros, LEDs, flashlights, lights here and there and everywhere, everything‘s gleaming, golden rain sparkles... whoa! Too much!

All in all they did a good job, considering how much work was necessary in pandemic times. However, I wish we had more shots and talks from the green room but I see why they reduced that.

midnightsun

Veteran
It was a disappointment but :sm: performance was visually a hot mess, very unpleasant. And Senhit's vocals were not better than those of Serhat.
Well, this is exactly what I always saw in this song. I already wrote it during the semi, that it is very flat with no real climax.
It’s also exactly in that position I had put it in if I was a juror minus one place for that unnecessary Flo-Rida. What has an AMERICAN rapper to do on a Eurovision stage. Just fan bait. ESC should exclude well known acts (I mean, super well known like Florida and Timberlake and Madonna... the Last two didn’t take part at least) and support newcomers!
I was always wondering where all the stanning came from. The song was nothing special neither was the mess of a staging.

Ezio

Veteran
Just read on ORF.at that this year's song contest rewarded nerve, but juries became the guardians of trite templates.

In my opinion, juries are necessary, but they should not at all consist of alumni and EBU acolytes, but be completely independent, unaffiliated experts.

I also think that the EBU should have the right to have and to access a "register" of possible jurors per country and randomly call upon them, so that not the country broadcaster nominate them nor could influence them. They should not even know who is in the jury in my opinion.

Ezio

Veteran
Poor @94ayd, I can tell from my reaction score that you are stuck in this thread since many many hours :D

Combined result / from YT

o185g7t.png

Ezio

Veteran
Which system is that?? The one from 2009-2012 or from 2013-2015?? xthink
So many questions, so little time :cry:

I guess it's 2009-2012 system, the latter was insane and we don't have the data for it at hand at all

Chorizo

Even though UK, Germany and Spain deserved last, it is still a little cruel for 0 points.

I think they should weight points more from the public.

Keep jury points 1 - 12.

Then have 20, 18, 16 ... 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 from the public.

This will give the opportunity for more nations to get more points, but will also:

A) Give more weighting to the public, which should be the case anyway
B) Lessen the impact of political voting, as there are more points given for other countries
C) Give more countries the chance to get points and not have shame in getting 0
This would give 20 points to the largest diaspora in a country instead of 12 and even smaller diasporas would get more weight, so in the end it's not a practical proposition.

spinachpie

This would give 20 points to the largest diaspora in a country instead of 12 and even smaller diasporas would get more weight, so in the end it's not a practical proposition.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. It's relative, so whether they receive 20 or 12, they are the maximum points they would have received anyway. The next country gets 18, then 16, then 14, 13, 12 etc...

By having more points available, it means that more points are allocated to other songs/countries, rather than any geo-politics etc.

It would also mean more weight is given to the public, which is ultimately more important than jury votes.

It also means less chance of '0' points.

Chorizo

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. It's relative, so whether they receive 20 or 12, they are the maximum points they would have received anyway. The next country gets 18, then 16, then 14, 13, 12 etc...

By having more points available, it means that more points are allocated to other songs/countries, rather than any geo-politics etc.

It would also mean more weight is given to the public, which is ultimately more important than jury votes.

It also means less chance of '0' points.
We need the juries to limit the influence of the diaspora vote, so I wouldn't reduce the jury votes like that. Ideally the public could decide it all but we know that without the juries, the diasporas are too influential. If you want fewer 0 points, both the juries and the public should vote for more than 10 countries.

Top Bottom