Contact us

PORTUGAL - Portugal 2010 - Filipa Azevedo - Há dias assim

how do you rate the entry?

• Total voters

Tomi87

i almost fell out of my chair after her performance! very very happy that Christina Aguilera from Portugal is in the final :D after tonight, she's in my top 5

A-lister

Veteran
Totally the work of the juries.

So now Eurovision is about who can scream the most and have the most "American" sounding ballad?

R.I.P. Eurovision Song Contest

Welcome : American Copy Europe Idol

ShineShineSHINE

A-lister said:
Totally the work of the juries.

So now Eurovision is about who can scream the most and have the most "American" sounding ballad?

R.I.P. Eurovision Song Contest

Welcome : American Copy Europe Idol

As an American, I will take your "criticism" as a compliment. YES, that girl can sing! If you think the song itself sounds American, I will have to disagree. I think the girl has an amazing voice that reminds me of a large, black woman. I suppose you'd rather sound like the Swedish singer this year? (Like a frightened baby lamb in an electric dryer). :eek:

Oh, and it's not about how loud she can "scream", cause if you go back and look at her in the finals, you'll see that she actually has toned it down (for the better). :mrgreen:

Thank you, juries! If it wasn't for the professional juries over-riding the untrained ears, we would have lost out on this gem :!:

dogmeat

picard-facepalm1.jpg

ShineShineSHINE

dogmeat said:
ShineShineSHINE said:
setnop said:
I read somewhere that in a Swedish TV show a jury composed by several Swedish singers and musicians, including some former participants in the ESC, analysed and voted for the songs in the 1st semi and granted Portugal the second place. Something similar happened in Finland and this time the juri awarded us the first place in the 1st semi. Could this be a good omen?

Yes, and I'm not really surprised. First of all, I'm not trying to sound "better" or "smarter" than other people, but I can tell you as a muscian and actor who is looking for a realness to the music, something different, poetic and insightful lyrics, and not just a melody, but the harmonies that are used with it...Portugal is GREAT! It will NEVER win (unfortunately), but any panel composed of professional musicians have a strong chance of rating it MUCH higher than the casual listener. That should at least give it a boost! :D
There is only a bland melody with monotonic piano "dang---dang---dang---dang" in the backgroud. It's one of the most PRIMITIVE songs I heard recently. There's absolutely nothing difficult to understand and absolutely nothing unique. Not every ballad is "smart".
And I can tell you I also find myself demanding ;)

First of all..."I told you so!" ;)

Secondly, it's not monotonic. It builds the whole time, and the chords are very dense and tight. That's probably why you can't hear the changes. The 'dang--dang--dang--dang--" you speak of is the dissonance which is being used to create tension based on the....

Thirdly: AMAZING LYRICS!!! Go read them and tell me they don't stand on their own!

You're correct in saying that not every ballad is "smart", however this one is. I would like to counter by saying that not every critic is "smart" either...even the most "demanding" of them!!!!!! :twisted:

Mike12

She deserved it :) Well done Portugal!

dogmeat

Actually piano motive repeats almost unchanged every 4 seconds and moving one note higher every half minute won't help it being monotonic.

alca

peter007 said:
94ayd said:
Is it only me that can love both Slovakia & Portugal?! :lol:

Around here it seems so. :D
Nope he's not the only one! I liked both songs since day one! :D

94ayd we have really similar taste ;)

But I love Bulgaria's song and you don't!
I LOVE Sweden's song and you don't!
I LOVE Finland's song and you....well do you? :cool:

94ayd

alca said:
peter007 said:
94ayd said:
Is it only me that can love both Slovakia & Portugal?! :lol:

Around here it seems so. :D
Nope he's not the only one! I liked both songs since day one! :D

94ayd we have really similar taste ;)

But I love Bulgaria's song and you don't!
I LOVE Sweden's song and you don't!
I LOVE Finland's song and you....well do you? :cool:

I totally do but can't same the same for Israel... :lol: At least I'd rank them like that:
1. Sweden
2. Bulgaria
3. Israel
You did it the same way.

alca

Well you removed your top 10 from your signature and now I don't know what else you like :p

ShineShineSHINE

dogmeat said:
Actually piano motive repeats almost unchanged every 4 seconds and moving one note higher every half minute won't help it being monotonic.

It's "motif" and I'm done discussing this song with you when you keep using hyperbole to describe it. You obviously want to talk in circles without discussing actual examples or acknowledging anything good about it. If you hate it so much, go listen to your CD of Slovakia...but make sure you turn it up really, really loud on Saturday. That's when you'll have to drown out the sound of Portugal singing...cause they actually MADE it to the finals! :twisted:

peter007

ShineShineSHINE said:
dogmeat said:

It's "motif" and I'm done discussing this song with you when you keep using hyperbole to describe it. You obviously want to talk in circles without discussing actual examples or acknowledging anything good about it. If you hate it so much, go listen to your CD of Slovakia...but make sure you turn it up really, really loud on Saturday. That's when you'll have to drown out the sound of Portugal singing...cause they actually MADE it to the finals! :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually I don't understand why a big deal about portuguese entry being qualified to the final, it's not like we are going to win, we will stay in the middle to bottom places as usual, with jury or not.

dogmeat

What else should I talk about if there's hardly anything more than just piano? ;>
And I'm not a fan of Kristina.

Ok, I won't bother you more, it's end of topic on my side.

Tristran

Hm, I think there were better songs than this that didn't make it to the final, but her performance tonight was better than any before and I can see that got her enough votes tonight to make it to the final.

evilperson

I think she had a good performance but the song just isnt up to par. I do think the juries were behind this song qualifying in the end.

Top Bottom