Nothing more that I can say
Says it in a better way

I’ve tried, alright
But it’s killing me inside
Thought you’d be by my side always

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Ah, the 'pretentious artsy film' vibe of this NF continues for another year - to my displeasure. Some of these songs don't even sound like they're from this century. Why is Aurea such a big disappointment?

Syro - "Ainda nos Temos" 8/10
Maro - "Saudade, saudade" 7/10
Pongo & Tristany - "Dégrá.dê" 7/10
Blacci - "Mar No Fim" 7/10
Norton - "Hope" 7/10
Diana Castro - "Ginger Ale" 6/10
Aurea - "Why?" 6/10
TheMisterDriver - "Calisun" 6/10
Jonas - "Pontas Soltas" 6/10
Fado Bicha - "Povo Pequenino" 5/10
Kumpania Algazarra - "A Minha Praia" 5/10
FF - "Como É Bom Esperar Alguém" 5/10
Os Quatro & Meia - "Amanhã" 5/10
Milhanas - "Corpo de Mulher" 5/10
Os Azeitonas - "Solta a Voz e Canta" 4/10
O Vampiro Submarino - "Ao Lado de Mim" 4/10
Valas & Os Astronautas - "Odisseia" 4/10
Cubita - "Uma Mensagem Tua" 3/10
Inês Homem de Melo - "Fome de Viagem" 3/10
Pepperoni Passion - "Código 30" 2/10

Decayingbooks

That's what I was fearing. :censored:
I'm surprised isn't Pongo part of the favorites too ? I mean, from what I style of the song is super popular on the radio. I'm kinda expecting the public to back it up (unless the general public doesn't vote for the selection like it's the case for the french national final)
The portuguese nf is 50% judges and 50% public.
I also thought that Pongo would be at least in the top 5 of views but it seems that there aren't that many kuduro fans in Portugal or those that do love that kind of music don't care about eurovision, either way I think that Pongo is dead on arrival, there's no way for her to be top 3 amongs the judges

Schlagerman1

A lovely little edition of FdC, why are they so damn classy, it is amazing what a change that country has gone through after their win! Now, three songs really stood out for me.

First: Fado Bicha with "Povo Pequenino". Such a cool and pretty happy fado-inspired song that feels like it is almost 50 years older than it is and I can't help loving it. So catchy, fun and standing out big time. Not sure how it would do in ESC, but with the right staging this could make a strong impact!

Second: Maro with "Saudade, Saudade". This is like a mix of old Nelly Furtado and Sade. Very calm and perfectly produced. Feels so portuguese but still modern and creative. It really takes on a journey and with Portugal finally starting to understand how to stage their entries in ESC, this could be something to watch out for, especially for the jury points.

Third: Syro with "Ainda Nos Temos". WHAT A VOICE! This kinds of songs isn't usually among my top placements, but he sings the hell out of it and makes one believe every word he sings, even if you don't understand the language. Feels like he is opening the sky and makes us, just for a few seconds reach heaven. Probably the one to beat and wouldn't disappoint in ESC, this would at least qualify to the final I believe.

But yeah, one of these three and Portugal is probably set for an another final. God I love this country! :D

goncalovieira

Pablo Alboran knows Maro

:eek:

I bims

Veteran
I'm always impressed how Portugal manages to have a big selection of songs... and I don't like a single one. I don't have the mindset that I have to like every song in a national selection for it to be worthwhile or something. They could all be put in a spotify playlist called "hipster stoner vibes".

goncalovieira

well, about Maro. I should tell you that I am IMPRESSED.
There is something so atmospheric. She has some chances. Especially if the A-names from her past partnerships could help her. Carolina Deslandes has done it today!

Zonne147

Well, I feel like always tend to be really harsh on FdC's songs, and this year it's no different - there isn't a single song in our selection that I expect to be in my top places :( I really think Aurea is the one that can come closer to that.

Jonas - Pontas Soltas - 7/10 (it starts very well but then it doesn't really get anywhere)
Aurea - Why 7/10 (takes way too long to get somewhere, but there are some beautiful parts)
FF - Como é bom esperar alguém - 7/10 (I find it quite charming, especially the last minute, beautiful instrumentation)
O Vampiro Submarino - Ao Lado De Mim - 6/10 (too repetitive but I'm lowkey vibing to this)
TheMisterDriver - Callisun - 6/10 (not good for the genre but a breath of fresh air)
Os Quatro E Meia - Amanhã 6/10 (they have better songs but still a decent effort)
Milhanas - Corpo de Mulher - 6/10 (Quem trouxe foi o pingo doce >>>>, the song has its charm though)
Fado Bicha - Povo Pequenino - 6/10 (if they improved some parts I'd like it more)
Kumpania Algazarra - A Minha Praia - 6/10 (if they improved some parts I'd like it more x2)
Blacci - Mar no Fim - 6/10 (there's something a bit magical about this, still meh overall)
Syro - Ainda Nos Temos - 5/10 (not getting the hype, sounds like a typical Portuguese radio song I'd immediately skip)
Maro - Saudade, Saudade - 5/10 (not getting the hype either, bored me)
Pongo & Tristany - Degradé - 5/10 (+ for being different, probably if I was an international fan I'd like this)
Os Azeitonas - Solta A Voz E Canta - 5/10 (okay)
Norton - Hope - 5/10 (okay)
Cubita - Uma Mensagem Tua - 5/10 (okay)
Diana Castro - Ginger Alé - 4/10 (repulsive)
Valas & Os Astronautas - Odisseia - 4/10 (repulsive)
Pepperoni Passion - Código 30 - 3/10 (can't get this song at all)
Inês Homem de Melo - Fome De Viagem - 3/10 (some people will find it sweet, but it gives me Denmark 2019 vibes and that's definitely not a good thing for me)

Last edited:

goncalovieira

Aurea has an amazing song and we did not even see her on stage... brace yourselves. She is very good!
Syro, Maro and Os Quatro e Meia are the black horses.
The victory will be between these four.

onecertaintiago

I'll be voting Pongo e Tristany all night, in the semi and hopefully in the final. We shall not go down easily. I had the same strategy with Conan Osiris and it worked!

Decayingbooks

I really don't get why people like Aurea's song, I find the lyrics simple and basic and the song is bland and boring, if it was other country competing with it, say Germany, I really doubt that anyone on Portugal would care enought about it to pick up their phones and vote

JSSArcos

Later this year, because of university, but I finally finished making my top, another good year of fdc (Worse compared to last year, but better for 2020), and unlike previous years, I have a clear favorite

MY TOP 20

20- Diana Castro - Ginger Ale (2.5/10)
19- Valas & Os Astronautas - Odisseia (3.8/10)
18- TheMisterDriver – Calisun ( 4.3/10)
17- O Vampiro Submarino - Ao Lado de Mim (4.5/10)
16- Os Azeitonas - Solta a Voz e Canta ( 4.7/10)

15- Milhanas - Corpo de Mulher (5/10)
14- Cubita - Uma Mensagem Tua (5.1/10)
13- Norton - Hope (5.9/10)
12- FF (6.1/10
11- Kumpania Algazarra - A Minha Praia (6.5/10)
10 - Pongo e Tristany - DÉGRÁ.DÊ (6.6/10)
- A new and interesting proposal, but insufficient, pongo has really better songs, DÉGRÁ.DÊ sounds confusing and I don't see the jury supporting this enough to go to turin.
9- Jonas – Pontas Soltas ( 6.9/10 ) A good fado, with a strong voice, but not "Senhora do Mar". Something is missing to become epic.
8- Pepperoni Passion – Código 30 (7/10) - It's not for going to Turin, but I like the lyrics of it and the vibe
7- Inês Homem de Melo – Fome de Viagem (7.3/10) - My guilty pleasure 2
6- Fado Bicha – Povo pequenino (7.4/10) - has potential, to rise in me. But at this moment something is missing
5- SYRO – Ainda nos Temos (7.7/10) - Radio-Friend music, sounds very nice to me
4- Aurea - Why? (7.9) - was my favorite in the 1st audition on friday, but it develops too late
3- Blacci – Mar No Fim (8) - My guilty pleasure
2- Os Quatro e Meia – Amanhã ( 8.2) - the song that grew the most in me

1- MARO – saudade, saudade (9.5/10) - absolute favourite !!! The mix of Portuguese and English is perfect, with an incredible atmosphere that is created around Music. One of the best fdc songs ever

lacrymea

Later this year, because of university, but I finally finished making my top, another good year of fdc (Worse compared to last year, but better for 2020), and unlike previous years, I have a clear favorite

MY TOP 20

20- Diana Castro - Ginger Ale (2.5/10)
19- Valas & Os Astronautas - Odisseia (3.8/10)
18- TheMisterDriver – Calisun ( 4.3/10)
17- O Vampiro Submarino - Ao Lado de Mim (4.5/10)
16- Os Azeitonas - Solta a Voz e Canta ( 4.7/10)

15- Milhanas - Corpo de Mulher (5/10)
14- Cubita - Uma Mensagem Tua (5.1/10)
13- Norton - Hope (5.9/10)
12- FF (6.1/10
11- Kumpania Algazarra - A Minha Praia (6.5/10)
10 - Pongo e Tristany - DÉGRÁ.DÊ (6.6/10)
- A new and interesting proposal, but insufficient, pongo has really better songs, DÉGRÁ.DÊ sounds confusing and I don't see the jury supporting this enough to go to turin.
9- Jonas – Pontas Soltas ( 6.9/10 ) A good fado, with a strong voice, but not "Senhora do Mar". Something is missing to become epic.
8- Pepperoni Passion – Código 30 (7/10) - It's not for going to Turin, but I like the lyrics of it and the vibe
7- Inês Homem de Melo – Fome de Viagem (7.3/10) - My guilty pleasure 2
6- Fado Bicha – Povo pequenino (7.4/10) - has potential, to rise in me. But at this moment something is missing
5- SYRO – Ainda nos Temos (7.7/10) - Radio-Friend music, sounds very nice to me
4- Aurea - Why? (7.9) - was my favorite in the 1st audition on friday, but it develops too late
3- Blacci – Mar No Fim (8) - My guilty pleasure
2- Os Quatro e Meia – Amanhã ( 8.2) - the song that grew the most in me

1- MARO – saudade, saudade (9.5/10) - absolute favourite !!! The mix of Portuguese and English is perfect, with an incredible atmosphere that is created around Music. One of the best fdc songs ever
Do you think Maro has any chance with the public vote? I have a feeling the jury will give it some love. Not too sure about the public though.

Decayingbooks

Maro is the 6th place on Youtube, so she ain't getting much attention from the public at this point.
Things will most likely change and Maro may appeal to the same public that gave Black Mamba their victory(at this point last year they were in nobody's radar to win festival), but the big question is if that is enough to win?
Aurea, Syrom Quatro e Meia and FF are really big names of the portuguese music scene and although I don't think they have the best song for eurovision(or the best song in the festival for that matter) they may get the top 3 of the public solely on name recognition. There is a chance that the judges may give Maro the first place(although that didn't happened with Black Mamba), but if one of the top 3 of the public places second among the judges she will not win

goncalovieira

My "non-eurovision" friends just listened to the songs next to me and there is a clear winner. It's Maro!
Syro and Quatro e Meia (jesus) were the next main favorites.
Aurea had the highlight along with the girls. But since they are huge fans of her... I am not surprised.
Apart from that, for me, it is still so strange to see this kind of A names around FdC.

Top Bottom