Maybe not tonight

Love is…
Love is…
Love is…

Love is on my side
Maybe not tonight​

Last edited by a moderator:

DanielLuis

From the numbers of YouTube views, the ones who might get some advantage in the public eye are... Pedro, Carolina, and NEEV.

Seems Pedro and Carolina are big names in Portugal, but what about NEEV?
Pedro is not a big name in Portugal, at all.

The one true big name competing is Carolina Deslandes (probably the biggest name in FdC since Diogo Piçarra, if not bigger). Karetus and The Black Mamba are fairly well-known too. NEEV is more known in the indie circuit.

Anyway, Carolina, Karetus and NEEV are all trending on Youtube Portugal.

Ezio

Veteran
I just officially kicked off my personal Eurovision 2021 journey with Portugal.

First off:
NEEV - Dancing in the stars (Dançando nas estrelas):
Winner winner chicken dinner. Could stage a stunning goosebumper in Rotterdam. I give 14 out of 12 possible points.

Second off:
Nadine - Cheguei aqui (I go there).
I fancy myself an original Portuguese dish. However, this is too timid to attract many international votes. Could be right up the alley of the FdC jury? 5/12

Third off:
Carolina Deslandes - Por um triz (Almost).
Oh that is sweet. Love! 11/12

Fourth off:
Da Chick - I got music (Eu tenho musica).
Okay, it's a no. Aims to be groovy, but lacks a hook and sounds like something of the bottom of the charts of 1991. 1/12

Fifth off:
Fábia Maia - Dia lindo (Beautiful day).
Filler Queen. I am losing my attention and her voice is not mesmerizing enough to carry this lullaby. 3/10

Sixth off:
Sara Alfonso - Contramão (Contrary)
It's perfect, it's beautiful. It sounds like Linda Evangelista. 12/12

Seventh off:
Valéria - Na mais profundo saudade (In the deepest longing)
It doesn't get more Portuguese than this. Saudade Saudade Saudade across the stage. And I think it is a little bit boring and expected. 2/12

Eighth off:
IAN - Mundo (World)
The first 15 Seconds were so offputting that I couldn't believe my ears later on. Oh hey gurl, yeah, slay me with your notes while I lose my will whirling across my living room. Hooked 12/12

Ninth off:
Irma - Livros (Books)
Nice chords but overall stubbornly uncatchy. Sister's voice is unfortunately not too pleasnt for me. 5/12

Tenth off:
Joana Alegre - Joana do mar (Joan from the sea)
Nice 90's sound. Reminds me of Natalia Imbruglia or Alice Morrisette, thus not very contemporary. 7/12

Eleventh off:
Graciela - A vida sem acontecer (A life not happening)
I find the quirky 70's sound quite crazy. And I lost attention. 4/12

Twelfth off:
Karetos & Romeu Bairos - Saudade (Longing)
Another sad song about saudade, but it is irky, quirky and I likey likey. 11/12

Thirteenth off:
Miguel Marôco - Girassol (Sunflower)
Austin Powers meets Portuguese lyrics. Okay. 7/12

Fourteenth off:
Eu-Clide - Volte-Face (About-face)
A relaxed song for the chill lounge with scared lyrics. Nice juxtaposition. 7/12

Fifteeth off:
Pedro Gonçalves - Não vou ficar (I won't stay)
Just a jolly song sang by an angel. I am ready to be captivated. And this saxophone, I love. But a bit too 80's for me 10/12

Sixteenth off:
mema. - Clara como água (Clear as water)
I forgot the song completely after it ended, so I cannot comment. Did I get zapped by the MiB? 2/12

Seventeenth off:
Tainá - Jasmim (Jasmine)
A typical Portuguese lullaby that kills off my will to carry through the night. 3/12

Eighteenth off:
The black Mamba - Love is on my side (O amor está do meu lado)
Macy Gray for Portugal. Could do well at Eurovision, in particular with the juries. But I am not sold on the song. 6/12

Ninteenth off:
Ariana - Mundo melhor (Better world)
We all want a better world, but I don't want this song at all, because it sounds annoying and his distressing beat and a mediocre singer. 0/12

Twentieth off:
Ana Tereza - Com um abraço (With an embrace)
The opening reminds me of the interval act of Lisbon 2018. The chorus is quite nice. 5/12

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
My top 5 endorsements

1. NEEV
2. IAN
3. Karetos & Romeu Bairos
4. Sara Alfonso
5. Pedro Gonçalves

Loindici

Veteran

The one true big name competing is Carolina Deslandes (probably the biggest name in FdC since Diogo Piçarra, if not bigger). Karetus and The Black Mamba are fairly well-known too. NEEV is more known in the indie circuit.

That is a good, good tip! That would mean we would predict on the last three names to be the public favorites! Thanks Daniel!

Zonne147

Well...

Sadly it's one of my least favorite selections so far :( I agree with those who say that like 75% of the songs have the same vibe.

Anyway the three songs that stood out the most for me are: Saudade (that screams NQ though), Claro como Água and my absolute favorite is Dancing With The Stars, what a stunning song, all of my love goes to that one.

Everyone is also saying they are afraid Neev won't win because his song is in English, idk why? FdC english entries tend to fail but I don't think the reason is the language, Rebellion was a huge flop live and Don't Walk Away was agressively average.

Zonne147

From the numbers of YouTube views, the ones who might get some advantage in the public eye are... Pedro, Carolina, and NEEV.

Seems Pedro and Carolina are big names in Portugal, but what about NEEV?

Carolina is by far the biggest name in the lineup, many songs above 1 million YT views, everyone knows two or three of them... She also makes multiple TV appearances, she is a The Voice Kids judge, etc... Karetus are probably 2nd in the list, they are quite well-known and popular among young folks mostly thanks to their collabs.

NEEV is unfortunately not a name people are familiar with, @JSSArcos has introduced his work to me (and I'm so glad he did that xlove)... He is featured in "Breathe" by Seeb, which was a very played song in our mainstream radio stations here a few years ago.

Pedro though? I don't think so... He doesn't have any popular song (at least I don't know any song from him), he isn't played in the main radio stations either.

Edit: I have missed this comment, Daniel said it all :D

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
Carolina is by far the biggest name in the lineup, many songs above 1 million YT views, everyone knows two or three of them... She also makes multiple TV appearances, she is a The Voice Kids judge, etc... Karetus are probably 2nd in the list, they are quite well-known and popular among young folks mostly thanks to their collabs.

NEEV is unfortunately not a name people are familiar with, @JSSArcos has introduced his work to me (and I'm so glad he did that xlove)... He is featured in "Breathe" by Seeb, which was a very played song in our mainstream radio stations here a few years ago.

Pedro though? I don't think so... He doesn't have any popular song (at least I don't know any song from him), he isn't played in the main radio stations either.

Edit: I have missed this comment, Daniel said it all :D

More tips to support Daniel's post! Thank you Zonne!

(now, onto the realization that Carolina might win FdC in a landslide...)

DanielLuis

More tips to support Daniel's post! Thank you Zonne!

(now, onto the realization that Carolina might win FdC in a landslide...)
I see Carolina winning while getting 12 from both the juries and the televoters. I just see the FdC jury eating it up. I hope it won't happen though, even though it's a beautiful song it kinda goes nowhere and leaves us hanging for a climax at the end. NEEV's ballad is way more interesting in my opinion.
And, even though Carolina is very famous, that won't guarantee a 12 from the public I guess. From what I gather many people like her songs but don't really liker her personality and that might go against her. Plus, she only lasted like 2 or 3 weeks in our version of Dancing with the Stars in a line-up of almost complete nobodies.

Mrm

Veteran
I see Carolina winning while getting 12 from both the juries and the televoters. I just see the FdC jury eating it up. I hope it won't happen though, even though it's a beautiful song it kinda goes nowhere and leaves us hanging for a climax at the end. NEEV's ballad is way more interesting in my opinion.
And, even though Carolina is very famous, that won't guarantee a 12 from the public I guess. From what I gather many people like her songs but don't really liker her personality and that might go against her. Plus, she only lasted like 2 or 3 weeks in our version of Dancing with the Stars in a line-up of almost complete nobodies.
Why I saw some comments like: "The leftists FdC jury will vote in floods for Deslendes"? lol :lol:

lacrymea

First year I don't have a clear favorite to maniacally root for. I have 3 songs I really really like from the get-go: Neev (Dancing in the stars), Karetus (Saudade) and Eu.Clides (Volte-Face). While I think the latter is probably the most interesting one, it's also probably the least competitive of the three.

But I agree Carolina Deslandes has the upper hand right now and will score high both with juries and televote. Her song is cute, but that's it. It leaves me cold.

I also think one of the Fado songs can surprise. Probably the one from Valéria, which is a bit more accessible.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
NEEV (or Michael Schulte) hits many hard emotionally, myself included as my dad passed away last year. Nobody should go thru such an experience. Tears are never wrong.
Yeah, i know. It's just awkward doing it in a more public setting, it always feels as I'm doing this for emotional manipulation...here watch my video cause I'm crying....that kinda stuff. But I can't help it, My No 1 just has to win..it probably won't but I desperately want it to.

VikingTiger

Always looking forward to the Festival da Cancao. As usual many of the songs sound a bit only-fashioned and few up tempo song. Fortunately I can certainly enjoy a good portuguese ballad - especially as long as it sounds portuguese. I do have a thing for Portugal...

I adore both Saudade and Cheguei Aqui - the last one makes my insides go all soft, lovely voice. Saudade.... Repetitive I know - but I cant help hitting the replay buttom.
Na Mais Profunda Saudade and Volte-Face are other entries that are touching me.
And yet there are others, like Por um Triz.

I know that the entries I've mentioned are not the ones most likely to do well in Rotterdam. I guees NEEV or Pedro would have betterer chances in international competition. Out of the two I would prefer Noa Vou Ficar.

Mrm

Veteran
@Citelis

"Joana do mar" has grown on me so much! :eek:
It is amazing entry..so dreamy, fluffy and beautiful.. xlove xheart
Do you know that Salvador's sister Luisa Sobral is a producer of that song?

opinionsigotem

Nowhere the strength of last year's selection but there are a few that have piqued the interest!

Karetus are my preferred winners of the realistic options, doubt we'll get anything like Saudade from the other countries whereas Salvaduncan trash like Dancing in the Stars is ten a penny. I love the fado one as well (Valeria I believe).

harey

I really love A vida sem acontecer but there are several other songs of the selection I can listen to with great pleasure. Thank you Portugal!

Sammy

Veteran
I've listened again through all the songs and I know many find it a great selection. I can't really share this feeling. Most of the songs sound like 50 shades of beige to me - even if some of them have a different style. The underlying tone is very much the same - and very Portuguese. So I think in the spirit of Eurovision where you try to represent the musical culture of your country it's very well done. But I fear I'm not gonna become a fado-aficionado in the future either.
The one I like the most remains Pedro Gonçavles - Não vou ficar
In a certain mood I also like to listen to: Ariana - Mundo Melhor and Ana Tereza - Com um abraçao
For the rest - sorry Portugal, no impact here.

Top Bottom