Neev
Pedro da Linha
Pedro Gonçalves
Stereossauro
Tainá
Tatanka
Virgul
Viviane

Wow. This list is very promising, lots of familiar names - we can expect musical diversity for sure.

elanyvx

20 autors for the Festival da Cancao 2021
  1. Anne Victorino d'Almeida
  2. Carolina Deslandes
  3. Da Chick
  4. Fábia Maia
  5. Filipe Melo
  6. Helder Moutinho
  7. IAN
  8. Irma
  9. Joana Alegre
  10. João Vieira
  11. Karetus
  12. Miguel Marôco
  13. Neev
  14. Pedro da Linha
  15. Pedro Gonçalves
  16. Stereossauro
  17. Tainá
  18. Tatanka
  19. Virgul
  20. Viviane

CaraMia

Karetus! It would be so epic if Portugal managed to send a good electronic track precisely to The Netherlands!

Two examples of what Karetus can do:

Cover of "Bella Ciao"

rasmuslights

Veteran
Portugal's gonna slay this year - I'm telling ya. Such a strong field of songwriters lowkey doesn't matter who the singers are.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Woah some potential here than the usual whispy voiced sleeping pills FDC has had the past few years. I'm intrigued.

DanielLuis

This list definitely got me excited. Can't wait to see what Da Chick, NEEV, Deslandes, Steoreossauro and Karetus bring! It feels like we might have a few more uptempo songs in FdC this year, and probably a few English entries as well since some of these composers always write songs in English.

A-lister

Veteran
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but before everyone gets too excited, remember how the juries completely screwed over Portugal in 2019, when they had a great, unique and forward-thinking entry? xshrug

I hope the broadcaster and the public has gotten over it by now and will dare to send something exciting again and not something super conservative like the 2020 entry, but such mistreatments in ESC can unfortunately stick in mind and discourage for future picks.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but before everyone gets too excited, remember how the juries completely screwed over Portugal in 2019, when they had a great, unique and forward-thinking entry? xshrug

I hope the broadcaster and the public has gotten over it by now and will dare to send something exciting again and not something super conservative like the 2020 entry, but such mistreatments in ESC can unfortunately stick in mind and discourage for future picks.

the thing with experimental entries is that sometimes they'll work and sometimes they won't.. I do think there needs to something commercial about them, Conan was just to avantgarde, I do think he should qualify, but I can also see why he didn't. O jardim also deserved much better. But sometimes risky entries do work (Estonia 2009, Portugal 2017, Ukraine 2016, Latvia 2015, Belgium 2015...) it depends... I think what's crucial is that there has to be some appeal, even tho if it's really subtle.

A-lister

Veteran
the thing with experimental entries is that sometimes they'll work and sometimes they won't.. I do think there needs to something commercial about them, Conan was just to avantgarde, I do think he should qualify, but I can also see why he didn't. O jardim also deserved much better. But sometimes risky entries do work (Estonia 2009, Portugal 2017, Ukraine 2016, Latvia 2015, Belgium 2015...) it depends... I think what's crucial is that there has to be some appeal, even tho if it's really subtle.

Well, Conan wasn't too far with the televotes, it was the juries that put him dead last in the semi and thus had the ultimate verdict in their hands. I mean I do get your point, but this is a good example when the juries had opportunity to prove to their sceptics that they really are these so called "musical experts" after all and can see quality in something that might not have commercial mass-appeal, but again failed to do so. The entry was risky sure, but not for the sake of only being risky, it actually had both appeal and quality (I mean it wasn't even in my personal overall top. 10 that year, but I can still objectively say it was mistreated), and sure not every entry can be a success, but I think when it's blatant mistreatment and comes across rather as a punishment for actually taking risks, then it can set precedent that broadcasters become discouraged to take on risks again (we've seen it play out many times in this contest already when broadcasters started sending safe conservative entries after flopping with something more interesting).

Sure, it didn't help the case that he wore this off-putting thing on his face that looked like an ISIS terrorist beard, but still :lol:

I am not sure I would say Portugal 2017 was "risky" in the same way, while the rest you mentioned were forward thinking for Eurovision standards, this one was actually super conservative as it sounded like something straight out of the 1950s :lol:

Last edited:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Well they didn't really get screwed over in 2019 as the televote had it 12th, not in the qualifier zone. Tbh that entry screamed DNQ from the start, it had a very niche supporter base. What some may call artistic and pushing the boundaries others may call pure sh*t. It depends on your take. 🤷🏻‍♂️ just because its different and out there doesn't make it good, but i can see why some people were into it.

A-lister

Veteran
Well they didn't really get screwed over in 2019 as the televote had it 12th, not in the qualifier zone. Tbh that entry screamed DNQ from the start, it had a very niche supporter base. What some may call artistic and pushing the boundaries others may call pure sh*t. It depends on your take. 🤷🏻‍♂️ just because its different and out there doesn't make it good, but i can see why some people were into it.

Sure it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, and I agree with you that just being different doesn't automatically make it good, but I'd argue that in this case the entry was simply punished for being different and not because it was bad, and yes I'd say it was screwed over by the juries. When you put an entry dead last you almost want to make sure that it has no chance of qualifying, there's no way coming around that fact. I mean if the semi was so strong they simply had to put something last that normally would be higher then sure, but that wasn't really the case let's be real, when the juries apparently found more appeal in the "high quality"Like It entry by Belarus (that they actually pushed into the finals), and let me not start on ranking such travesties as Montenegro's Heaven above Conan's entry, then it makes it really hard to take them seriously tbh.

But the whole point again is shouldn't the so called "experts" with de facto more than 50% powers have a little deeper understanding of music? Or maybe that's just my opinion? xshrug Anyways, no one should be surprised when broadcasters get discouraged from taking risks when that's the pay-off you get.

Last edited:

Mimmon

Veteran
Made a video few days ago of all composers for Festival and name IAN standed out the most
Something experimental mashup of Conan and Blasted Mechanism vibe

Mimmon

Veteran
These are Semi Final draws by only Composers
If I have mistake let me know so I can fix it
Semi Final 1
-------
1.Anne Victorino D'Almeida
2.Fábia Maia
3.Filipe Melo
4.Hélder Moutinho
5.IAN
6.Irma
7.Karetus
8.Miguel
9.Stereossauro
10.Tatanka

Semi Final 2
--------
1.Carolina Deslandes
2.Da Chick
3.Joana Alegre
4.João Vieira
5.NEEV
6.Pedro da Linha
7.Pedro Gonçalves
8.Tainá
9.Virgul
10.Viviane

SOURCE:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJi...QthxSHdiA_8W1Bu8Mk-GglkGPhKkJ2ul7Yoyn1Oi3DabU

elanyvx

On January 20th the interpreters of the songs of the Festival da Cancao 2021 will be revealed!

Top Bottom