11 10.7%

8 7.8%

8 7.8%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Portugal-scaled.jpg

Zonne147

Finally, I have managed to review/rate and listen more carefully to our songs!

Blasted Mechanism - Rebellion - 7.5/10 - One of the most interesting choices, I really like almost everything here, it's a fresh and unique song and I love how they include a bit of typical traditional Portuguese sounds too. I'm afraid this is not for the average Eurovision viewer, it would be a very unsafe choice, but I'm rooting for them too!

Kady - Diz Só - 5.5/10 - It's pleasant, but Dino D'Santiago was uninspired af too. I really appreciate his work & I was really really waiting for his effort, but I'm truly disappointed. I mean, this is not bad, it's just a typical song from a Portuguese-speaking country with any standout element. It's ok.

Elisa Rodrigues - Não voltes mais - 5.5/10 - Narueaea laraeaea... It's maybe all I can remember. I actually like the vibe of the song, I find that repetitive parts nonsense, but at least they get stuck in your head. Not a bad effort from Elisa Rodrigues, but this can't win... I hope it doesn't...

Filipe Sambado - Gerbera Amarela do Sul - 6/10 - This grew on me, I think this is pleasant and different too, really like the traditional sounds too. The lyrics are also very informal and I find this very good. My big issue is that the song has no cohesion, nothing really works with the following part of the song.

Jimmy P - Abensonhado - 6/10 - I'm tired to listen to this kind of songs all over Portugal, rap is very popular here atm. But this is a nice effort, I like when songs keep growing and growing and peak at the right time, and that's the case. The lyrics are really powerful too, but this has not enough melody for me.

MEERA - Copo de Gin - 5.5/10 - It's impossible to hate this, this has a good vibe. Apart from that, I don't see anything else that make me give more than a five and an half. Too generic, I'm too used to listen to similar songs in Portuguese radios. It's ok, but I can appreciate sth here.

JJaZZ - Agora - 6/10 - Interesting. I wasn't enjoying it until the chorus, this goes through a nice growing process, but this has no big standout elements, it's just pleasant to hear, both vocally and instrumentally. Decent effort from JJaZZ, hope they qualify to the final now.

Luiz Caracol e Gus Liberdade - 6/10 - Unexpectedly, I can appreciate sth here. That's the problem again - I enjoy its calm and pleasant vibe, but I'm too used to listen to this kind of songs in our radios. I think their voices work together, it may not be a winning song but at least those three minutes didn't take that much to pass.

Cláudio Frank - Quero-te Abraçar - 5.5/10 - This had so much more potential. While listening to this, I was just waiting for a big surprise, unfortunately, the same I said with Kady applies here too. I don't mind "bilingual songs", but the transition in this song is really inappropriate.

Dubio feat. +351 - Cegueira - 8/10 - My winner of the selection!! I like everything here, it's different, original, catchy, mysterious. I hope they can deliver live, her voice matches perfectly the song. I just wished there was more appeal in the song... It took me a bit time to get into it, and I think my relationship with this song can go further. Maybe more a small improvement on the instrumental? I like this very much though.

Judas - Cubismo Enviesado - 4.5/10 - Eu não vejo nada não. A short song, where half of it is just "Vês Ou Não"? No. The instrumental and the title are actually nice but I got too annoyed with so much "Vês Ou Não". Sorry, next.

Bárbara Tinoco - Passe-Partout - 6/10 - I don't usually like "sweet" calm Eurovision songs. The same will happen here maybe. It grew a bit on me, I may be crazy but at my first listen I didn't get the hype around this. Now, I do. Melodically it is very strong, and maybe our safest choice at the moment. That's just ok for me, atm. I was expecting for more from Tiago though. I'm not a fan of the lyrics too.

Ian Mucznik - O Dia De Amanhã - 5/10 - Another ok song. Those were long three minutes though, it's a typical midtempo radio song in Portugal too. Lyrically it's actually nice too, but the song in my opinion is boring, the chorus is definitely imo the worst part of the song.

Tomás Luzia - Mais Real Que Amor - 5/10 - Ok for the 10239th time in this NF. I don't hate the song but it's nothing special too, the transition from verses (that I actually enjoy) to the chorus is strange af. I'm not particularly into his voice too, lyrically is good though. Thank you, next.

Throes + The Shine - Movimento - 6.5/10 - Oh yes, this made me dance since the very first moment. My connection with the song is bigger than its quality as a song, but I enjoy its alternative vibe, it's fresh, original and interesting. I also like the contrast between both voices. I just wished it had less "weirdness". But it's one of my favourites, despite not wanting to see them in Rotterdam.

Elisa - Medo de Sentir - 6.5/10 - Not really into this as much as many people by now, but this one of the strongest ones I feel!! I dislike when the backing sounds just fade and come back in the verses, but in an overall way, I think this is a good effort, it peaks in the right time. This can easily become my favourite live, hope she delivers. She has to slay if she gets selected. If she just flops no one will connect with the song. It's a bit above ok for me.

Overall opinion - After a few listens, I have better impressions now. I don't think it's a strong selection though. I felt both Dino and Tiago (specially Dino) had so much more to give, and most of the songs are just ok. I don't dislike any song (maybe expect "Vês ou Não") though. Dubio/+351 are my winners by now, but Blasted are close too. I'm really worried, I think this time I would rather us to send sth enough to qualify to ESC Grand Final (nothing seems really strong enough) than sth I would love (both would be great ofc).

HayashiM

Veteran
I finally got to catch up with Portugal. Ashley is absolutely right - there's very little diversity going on here. But what the heck, all it takes is that one great song winning :) Doing a complete ranking would probably be too painful given my inclination to overanalyze everything, but here is my top 5:

5. Rebellion. I have a hard time getting past the darkness, contrasts and English. But it's still a stand out. Together with Medo de Sentir, the only song I can see doing well in Rotterdam. :6:
4. O Dia de Amanhã. Probably not Eurovision material. I enjoy the slow rythm and the chorus nicely combining piano and guitar. :7:

3. Passe-Partout. The cute standout. There's something slightly weird for me about hearing this genre when it's not in French, but this song definitely has quality. :8:

2. Não voltes mais. I dig the African vibes. Not for Eurovision again. :8:

1. Medo de Sentir. A gem. @Citelis's hyping is justified. This song gently caresses my soul, it grows at every replay... And it is in Portugese :love: Top 10 potential for my Rotterdam ranking. I hope Elisa can win! :12:

Last edited:

mauve

Veteran
So this is the first section I listened all songs to. Honestly, I loved Portugal's songs from last year much more. This time some things are lacking. I need to listen to them again to say which songs I like most, but for now my faves are:

Dubio feat. +351 - Cegueira
Blasted Mechanism - Rebellion
JJaZZ - Agora
Bárbara Tinoco - Passe-Partout

Especially the first two stand out from the others!

Daybreak

So this is the first section I listened all songs to. Honestly, I loved Portugal's songs from last year much more. This time some things are lacking. I need to listen to them again to say which songs I like most, but for now my faves are:

Dubio feat. +351 - Cegueira
Blasted Mechanism - Rebellion
JJaZZ - Agora
Bárbara Tinoco - Passe-Partout

Especially the first two stand out from the others!

Agora and Rebellion are my faves too!

Mrm

Veteran
Conan Osiris will be a member of the jury, but I'm not sure in semi or in the final?

Decayingbooks

Conan Osiris will be a member of the jury, but I'm not sure in semi or in the final?

Like Luísa Sobral in 2018 and Isaura in 2019, Conan will be a jury member in the semifinals and will perform at the final

• Like It
Reactions: Mrm

JSSArcos

Blasted revealed some details of his performance. Promising to be a "powerful" moment, the group confirmed that it will use "the clothes used in NOS Alive" and that "the game of lights and video" is in charge of the production of the event.

Kairit

"Rebellion" is the clear stand-out of this selection for sure. There's a few other decent songs here that I quite enjoy, but there's really no true competition. A+

Uto

Veteran
I listened to all 16 songs. That was not a punishment at all, thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought it was a very interesting bunch of songs, there's certainly some variety there and on average the production was really solid and tasteful. There was quite a large discrepancy in melodic quality though and although melodies are very hard to judge there were quite a few acts just painting by numbers I feel. I really like how about half the entries were really trying for something different than your standard fare as well.

Waste of Time Tier:

Judas​
Cubismo Enviesado​
Luiz Caracol e Gus Liberdade​
Dói-me o País​
Tomás Luzia​
Mais Real que o Amor​
Cláudio Frank​
Quero-te Abraçar​
Ian Mucznik​
O Dia de Amanhã​

Average/Too Many Downsides Tier:
Blasted Mechanism​
Rebellion​
JjaZZ​
Agora​
Kady​
Diz Só​
Throes + The Shine​
Movimento​
Elisa​
Medo de Sentir​
Jimmy P​
Abensonhado​

Honestly, Agora and Diz So are something you could go for. Don't feel like doing a whole reaction to them, but they were solid.

Leaves the following 5:

MEERA - Copo de Gin: This feels like last years Czech entry transformed into a jazzy dance track. Unlikely to win, but it's undeniably cool and well constructed. I can really think of nothing bad to say about this apart from the lack of a big vocal line to make this memorable. Unfortunately that's a pretty big thing, in fact it's usually the single most important decider between similar songs. You're going to lose all those tie-breakers. Still, if Portugal decides to enter this song all is well, I estimate it will finish 15th or so.

Dubio ft +351 - Cegueira: Nice quirky song, but I feel like it's missing a chorus. Right now there's the instrumental shift from jazzy ballad to minimalist rock. While this certainly works here sitting in a dark room with headphones on, I fear this is just going to come across as a tasteless gimmick on stage if this doesn't come with a strong vocal line. So pretty much the same as MEERA, I just think it comes up short ultimately, but it's a decent effort. Nothing wrong if this song goes to Rotterdam, but it won't slay.

Filipe Sambado - Gerbera Amarela do Sul: This song is a magnificent trip to a place I have never heard of. Really nice melodies all throughout this song and all the weirdness is constantly supported by the backing track which is absolutely brilliantly put together. Unfortunately it's simply impossible to overlook the fact that weirdness is almost never rewarded by the televoters. Also, the song lacks dynamic range. It is three minutes of pretty dense music. Not a great deal normally, but it is going to be extra noticeable at Eurovision where this song is part of a different context. It's going to sound very flat. So while I think this is a fantastic song, I don't think this is going to be a success at Eurovision. I might be very wrong here though.

Elisa Rodrigues - Nao Voltes Mais: If they would just change the Narueaeaea thing into something else, something that doesn't sound cheap, this would be a fantastic song. Those lines are tolerable as it is, but it's just the one part that could be improved significantly. Apart from that, I have no idea. This really is just all you could want. The production is great, the melodies are great, the break into the jazz section for the bridge is wonderful, the guitar parts are magnificent. This song should be picked if you ask me.

Barbara Tinoco - Passe-Partout: I can't fault it, I just can't. It's adorable. There's so many fun little melodies in here, some nice little twists and it's packed to the brim with sheer charm. Staging is the easiest thing and there's just no way the juries are going to ignore this. This would be a free ticket to a top 10 spot, might even be a contender. But, and this is a pretty significant but, Portugal won three years ago with a song that ventured into this same old forest. It's not been long enough to go looking at those trees again. It will sound like Portugal is simply trying to recreate that magic so it's probably going to feel insincere and it will be punished for it. Normally I would say just pick this, but right now I think Portugal has better options.

Top Bottom