8 3.8%

5 2.3%

5 2.3%

12 5.6%

35 16.4%

• Total voters

A-lister

Veteran
It's all a matter of taste and the judging criteria. Jury has every right to rank this song last based on their criteria/taste.

For me, it's not the worst entry out of the 41 but it's one of the bottoms for me, so I am not surprised if the juries were turned off by the overall presentation of the entry. This song is actually just as divisive as Iceland's, so I am surprised Iceland did much better than Portugal's. But then Iceland's entry/act is more about the message rather than the "song", so I can see people getting blinded by the message Hatari stands for rather than that atrocious of a "song".

As for the rest of the bad-performing songs (like Croatia/Montenegro/Moldova/Latvia etc), at least their presentations do not turn people off or left a bitter taste while watching them. They are just sub-par compared to the stronger entries in the competition.

If juries are put in ESC to support only safe , "non-divisive" , entries then ESC has (and it HAS) a huge credibility problem. We can clearly see that taking a risk is not paying off, playing it safe, sending something half-arsed, dated and generic is the way to go and then you will receive some jury love. Again, we are talking about people who are claimed to be "musical experts", they if anyone should see music from a little deeper point of view, but apparently they are even less open than the public. This is not about your or my taste, Portugal wasn't even in my personal top. 10 this year (it was in my top. 15 however), but objectively speaking this was adding far more to the contest than your average hopeless clichéd dated ballad so no, I don't agree with you that the juries handled this professionally, quite the opposite.

Milos-BC

Regardless of the final outcome, for me this song will not be forgotten. The staging perhaps was not ideal, but the whole package was (and still is) a work of art. Conan is one of the few artists who made this ESC truly special for me and I thank :pt: for this effort even though the result was way lower than it should've been.

tuorem

Whenever I listen to this song, I feel like I'm a follower attending an occult Mass in a towering temple where Conan seems to be the elusive preacher. His voice strangely sounds so ominous, bewitching and sensual at the same time to me... The many swaying layers in "Telemóveis" keep taking me on a mystic journey. I can't believe how rich and deep it is.

In the name of Conan, and of Osiris, and of the Holy Art, please cover me with white feathers, adjust my golden jaw mask and take my soul in your heavenly claws. I'm yours. xheart

13 points to my personal winner.

Realest

D8dyQy5W4AEgr6k.jpg

Realest

I'm afraid the Czech points are incorrect because of the error of one of the jurors who wanted to put Portugal last but put them first instead :( :/

So now, :pt: is only 3 Points over :me:

Loindici

Veteran
If juries are put in ESC to support only safe , "non-divisive" , entries then ESC has (and it HAS) a huge credibility problem. We can clearly see that taking a risk is not paying off, playing it safe, sending something half-arsed, dated and generic is the way to go and then you will receive some jury love. Again, we are talking about people who are claimed to be "musical experts", they if anyone should see music from a little deeper point of view, but apparently they are even less open than the public. This is not about your or my taste, Portugal wasn't even in my personal top. 10 this year (it was in my top. 15 however), but objectively speaking this was adding far more to the contest than your average hopeless clichéd dated ballad so no, I don't agree with you that the juries handled this professionally, quite the opposite.

Anyway, there isn't any doubt 'Telemoveis' is such one daring and risky entry, but it's also in category with other worldbeat songs ever done before (Elitsa & Stoyan's both entries, Stella Mwangi's "Haba-Haba", even Netta's 'Toy"). One thing for sure is that risks can pay off or can throw off. Even if us Eurovision lovers think it is amazing, juries could just see this as an indie concoction of nothing. But still...

I feel the problem wasn't only dependent by music, but when comparing the semi-final performance to the FdC performance,
a lot of changes took away the accessibility of the entry:
1. THAT fashion choice hinders the act from making dynamic movements, looked stiffer, less entertaining. The interesting part of the outfit, which is the golden beard and the golden claws, is also gone.
2. The color grading went too dark, and made the overall atmosphere way too dreadful and less likeable than the ones in FdC. It also doesn't do any justice to the outfit whatsoever.
3. The delivery (voice, dance, facial expression) also went more aggressive, compared to FdC with a more subtle and inviting approach.
Overall, the accessibility decreased awfully.
So, no crimes here, actually. It just happened that the Portuguese team threw away those things that could've been working for them. xyeah

Last edited:

Realest

Conans Juryvote-Debacle (without the Mistake in :cz:):

#1 0
#2 1
#3 1
#4 1
#5 4
#6 1
#7 9
#8 9
#9 6
#10 7
#11 6
#12 4
#13 7
#14 6
#15 15
#16 19
#17 4
AVG 11,80

Only 39/100 saw him in the Final
20/100 ranked him Last.

Realest

I remember a Time when this Song was in my Top3, but after having rewatched the Performance, I throw it out of my Top20. Although I dont agree with the Jurys, I totally respect their Decision and the Televoting proved that the Song itself was probably overrated as well.

Realest

Now that Conan flopped, I think Portugal should have sent Mila Dores in order to get a better Result.

Citelis

Why you' re getting affected by the result? I remember that he was always around the middle of my ranking and he is still there.

Kruto

Do not understand that either....Still in the top of my ranking, just as it was in march...

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Iconic. What a flawless use of my time.

jZ4cbcZ.png

Mainshow

Veteran
I still can't believe this everlasting masterpiece didn't make it. It's the biggest crime in Eurovision in terms of jury votes, for sure.
I still haven't processed the fact that it didn't qualify. I wish there was a support group for this.
Seriously, we didn't deserve to be blessed by this unique, progressive, experimental, innovative bop. It clearly would have won Eurovision 2030. I guess, we weren't ready :(
Each jury member not having placed this inside their Top 10 should rot in hell until eternity.

tuorem

The fact juries precisely ranked "Telemóveis" last tells a lot about them. Ironically, they just don't seem to get the artistic dimension of "statement-songs" that are ahead of their time like that one and never reward efforts that could make the contest move forward sound-wise as much as they should imo (Sebi, O Jardim, Igranka, Origo...)

Of course there are counterexamples, but it remains too marginal coming from people who are expected to know music more holistically than thingummy in front of their TV.

Also, I'm tired of their recurring bias against pretty much anything that's local-sounding, not pop-driven or sung in a language that's not English. Tired and soulless Americanised pop is not a superior musical genre, at least not in my book. Given next year's slogan, they actually should take note and open up to Music with a capital "M".

ESC94

@tuorem and @Mainshow

Please don´t hate me, but I didn´t like this weird thing at all!! :(

And just because something is "different" doesn´t mean it´s good. For me this was just a weird succession of sounds, performed by an unlikable singer.

Last edited:

Realest

No Charisma, no Stagepresence, horrible Outfit, unsympathetic Facial Expressions, too much Freakshow..etc..In my Eyes the professional Juries were pretty fair to him.
Not to forget, that he was only 12th in the Televoting, 12th in the Bettingodds, Bottom5 in many Youtube-Tops, pretty low in the Presspoll and also OGAE had him only on rank 19.
So the Song wasnt that Masterpiece that a handful of People claim it was.

ESC94

No Charisma, no Stagepresence, horrible Outfit, unsympathetic Facial Expressions, too much Freakshow..etc..In my Eyes the professional Juries were pretty fair to him.
Not to forget, that he was only 12th in the Televoting, 12th in the Bettingodds, Bottom5 in many Youtube-Tops, pretty low in the Presspoll and also OGAE had him only on rank 19.
So the Song wasnt that Masterpiece that a handful of People claim it was.

And the 12th place in the televote was also only because of 2x:12: from the neighbours in :es: and the huge Portuguese community in :fr:, the viewers in most other countries didn´t like it all that much either.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
You guys don't have to like everything that is "different" to realize that the juries tank songs that are not commercial pop or commercial ballads.

The main problem of Telemóveis is that RTP is lazy and don't want to spend anything on staging. if "being unlikeble" would make singers flop in the semi, Salvador Sobral wouldn't have won and Ingrosso wouldn't have been top 10. :rolleyes: and the opposite also applies: if being likeable would mean being successful, claudia pascoal wouldn't have been last. slaya sirksus wouldn't have been bottom 5. the list goes on.

Top Bottom