5 2.3%

5 2.3%

12 5.6%

35 16.4%

• Total voters

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
8 points from the "professional juries" ? :lol: Is that serious? If there was another reason needed to believe these people are nothing but walking jokes, there you have it!

This is bonkers. I should have kept in mind they didn't deem "O Jardim" worthy of support last year either, while that's exactly the type of entry they should particularly pay attention to imo.

Televoters are definitely more open-minded.

Well O Jardim got more points from the Juries last year. :? Also, it's not like he totally blew the televote out of the water and was robbed by the juries. Idk where 43 points would have fallen in the semi televote ranks, but I doubt it was that high. I think both this and O Jardim did about as well as they should have done and expected tbh.

tuorem

Well O Jardim got more points from the Juries last year. :? Also, it's not like he totally blew the televote out of the water and was robbed by the juries. Idk where 43 points would have fallen in the semi televote ranks, but I doubt it was that high. I think both this and O Jardim did about as well as they should have done and expected tbh.

I mean if there are to be disagreements between both parties, I would expect juries to push songs like these rather than mainstream pop songs that are more likely to be instantly disgestible by the viewers. But then again, that's all about each person's perception of what juries should be here for.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
i'm conflicted. conan deserved much much much better but seeing real music arrogant portuguese people who were SURE he was 11th and was boycotted because apparently there was a problem with some votes being mad is always a pleasure

ZoboCamel

i'm conflicted. conan deserved much much much better but seeing real music arrogant portuguese people who were SURE he was 11th and was boycotted because apparently there was a problem with some votes being mad is always a pleasure

Yeah, I never much like overly patriotic Eurovision fans (from any country, including my own). So that's at least a silver lining.

But on the other hand the juries put him last with one-quarter the points of Montenegro aaaaaaargh. I don't think that performance was ever going to win but it was my third favourite of the year (alongside Iceland/Norway) so I wish it would've at least made it to the finals.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
Oh yes, I'm living for this flop.

A-lister

Veteran
Juries putting this last , their complete disregard for anything remotely outside of the box , just proves they are destroying ESC (as I argued since they were brought back to the contest).

Alaska49

i only hope this means FdC won't return to 1492 and all the boring ballads nobody cared about (even when salvador won, FdC was pretty horrendous and he was the only one with any potential). portugal has come so far and sometimes flops happen. conan deserved better, but it was also a risk. that they already confirmed their participation is heartening. I STILL BELIEVE IN PORTUGAL.

FilipeGolias

i only hope this means FdC won't return to 1492 and all the boring ballads nobody cared about (even when salvador won, FdC was pretty horrendous and he was the only one with any potential). portugal has come so far and sometimes flops happen. conan deserved better, but it was also a risk. that they already confirmed their participation is heartening. I STILL BELIEVE IN PORTUGAL.

From RTP's side I don't think it will. They have been doing a good job in reviving and modernising the show, bringing in new artists from the current musical scene, and having the country discussing about it (whether in a positive or negative way). I think the problem might be that this may influence juries - and most definitely the public - to not vote for something outside of the box like Conan, since it doesn't pay off. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Decayingbooks

From RTP's side I don't think it will. They have been doing a good job in reviving and modernising the show, bringing in new artists from the current musical scene, and having the country discussing about it (whether in a positive or negative way). I think the problem might be that this may influence juries - and most definitely the public - to not vote for something outside of the box like Conan, since it doesn't pay off. Hopefully I'm wrong.

For me the main problem in that in the last 2 years the composers try to repeat the "Salvador formula" sending something in the same genre, this year we had Frankie Chavez with "mundo a mudar"and Lura with "o meu sonho", among others, songs that doesn't represent the music they actualy produce witch was the reason they were invited in the first place.
Hopefully Conan wining the national final and gaining a lot popularity in portugal with a song that could be a single of one of his albuns will change that and the composers will send something that represents them as artists

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Yeah, I never much like overly patriotic Eurovision fans (from any country, including my own). So that's at least a silver lining.

But on the other hand the juries put him last with one-quarter the points of Montenegro aaaaaaargh. I don't think that performance was ever going to win but it was my third favourite of the year (alongside Iceland/Norway) so I wish it would've at least made it to the finals.

almost being behind montenegro in the combined score was........ a choice

AliceEsc

Last with the juries? Like dead last? :eek: Out of all songs competing in 1st and 2nd semi? This one was their worst?
I'm not against juries, I want them maybe in another format, but last year with Italy and this year with Portugal, I'm running out of arguments to defend them..
Portugal was 11th in both greek jury and televote..

JohnyKaz

I'm gonna be honest. Portugal being ranked last in the jury vote of ALL 41 COUNTRIES is something I can accept. But I don't want the juries completely removed. They have rewarded very good songs with a lot of points throughout the years which were otherwise ignored by the televoting, with the most recent examples being North Macedonia and Czech Republic (which DEFINITELY DID NOT deserve 7 points). Just want to see their influence in the final outcome reduced from 50% to at least 30%.

AliceEsc

I'm gonna be honest. Portugal being ranked last in the jury vote of ALL 41 COUNTRIES is something I can accept. But I don't want the juries completely removed. They have rewarded very good songs throughout the years which were otherwise ignored by the televoting, with the most recent examples being North Macedonia and Czech Republic (which DEFINITELY DID NOT deserve 7 points). Just want to see their influence in the final outcome reduced from 50% to at least 30%.

Totally agree on the second part! I still want them in, but increase the members, decrease their influense.. I don't know how many times this has been said before.. (shout out to Czech Republic, biggest grower for me)

crashworld

Veteran
I think people need to be realistic. While this song doesn't conform to your ESC template, but doesn't mean it's a great song. Juries shouldn't just reward this song just because it's unique. It should be rewarded based on different aspects (ie. "listenability", over-presentation/staging etc), which to be honest this song fails to do so in some of the aspects.

A-lister

Veteran
I think people need to be realistic. While this song doesn't conform to your ESC template, but doesn't mean it's a great song. Juries shouldn't just reward this song just because it's unique. It should be rewarded based on different aspects (ie. "listenability", over-presentation/staging etc), which to be honest this song fails to do so in some of the aspects.

So you think this was the worst entry out of 41!? I can find many non-listenable bad staged entries over this one... the juries should be blamed here , and the juries should promote musical diversity , maybe this wasn't your cup of tea and maybe it wasn't for the general public , but it wasn't bad and definitely not the worst...

Realest

The Problem is Conans Faciial Expressions were unsympathetic, he had 0 Charisma, his Outfit was disgusting, he did some strange Vocalacrobatic and the whole Performance was too much Freakshow. The whole Delivery was horrible. I had this in my Top5 for the most Time of the Season, but soon lost Interest when the Rehearsals started. Deserved NQ imo.

A-lister

Veteran
The Problem is Conans Faciial Expressions were unsympathetic, he had 0 Charisma, his Outfit was disgusting, he did some strange Vocalacrobatic and the whole Performance was too much Freakshow. The whole Delivery was horrible. I had this in my Top5 for the most Time of the Season, but soon lost Interest when the Rehearsals started. Deserved NQ imo.

Deserving NQ is arguable, last place in total however with such "amazing" additions such as :ie: , :md: , :ro: :fi: etc. now that is something else...

Citelis

Don't forget that televoting didn't liked him either. People that were saying that this is not going to work outside fan community were actually right. When he won FdC i thought that he may wins the whole thing.

A-lister

Veteran
Don't forget that televoting didn't liked him either. People that were saying that this is not going to work outside fan community were actually right. When he won FdC i thought that he may wins the whole thing.

Well, at least he did somewhat better with televotes than dead last by so called "professionals" that seem to prefer musical pearls like San Marino :lol:

crashworld

Veteran
So you think this was the worst entry out of 41!? I can find many non-listenable bad staged entries over this one... the juries should be blamed here , and the juries should promote musical diversity , maybe this wasn't your cup of tea and maybe it wasn't for the general public , but it wasn't bad and definitely not the worst...

It's all a matter of taste and the judging criteria. Jury has every right to rank this song last based on their criteria/taste.

For me, it's not the worst entry out of the 41 but it's one of the bottoms for me, so I am not surprised if the juries were turned off by the overall presentation of the entry. This song is actually just as divisive as Iceland's, so I am surprised Iceland did much better than Portugal's. But then Iceland's entry/act is more about the message rather than the "song", so I can see people getting blinded by the message Hatari stands for rather than that atrocious of a "song".

As for the rest of the bad-performing songs (like Croatia/Montenegro/Moldova/Latvia etc), at least their presentations do not turn people off or left a bitter taste while watching them. They are just sub-par compared to the stronger entries in the competition.

Top Bottom