Pulling too many strings
All that I've done
Oh Lord, I'm done

Gonna take my body down
Right down, down, down to the river​

Last edited by a moderator:

A-lister

Veteran
She wanted to go. She had a song ready. Apparently more uptempo and radio friendly than Empires was. And she said back in March that she still dreams about going to Eurovision. So I bet that if she will be asked to go in 2022, she probably would be happy to go. But I think that she has a better chance at going to Italy if there is a national selection, because I believe that the public will be willing to help her. TVP obviously wasn't so why would that change next year?

Side note regarding Polish language and I know it might be an unpopular opinion - but I would not be a fan of that. I do not think that the sound of our language would do a song meant to be heard by international public any favours. I'd stick to a fully English song in order to make the message of the song clear to non Polish speakers instead, but I would not complain about some local flavour put into it.

But yeah it is easy to speculate and we cant even be sure if we are going to participate. I guess for now all we can do is wait.

I see, well I dunno what went down behind the scenes to be honest and I guess we will never know... but I think Alicja might very well be internally selected by TVP regardless. I really don't think a national final is the right way for Poland (based on how bad they've been), instead the focus should really be to find good songwriters/composers willing to write an entry without much interference from TVP (other than of course sticking to the rules) for a particular artist (Alicja for instance).

I will always dismiss the "message of the song"-argument to send an English language entry, since most people don't pay that much attention to lyrics anyways in Eurovision and there are many casual viewers in Europe (in particular east and south) that don't even have English as their second language, so I think we always overestimate it.

Also, a reminder that the top. 5 in 2021 were 4/5 in native languages, in fact out of the few native language entries we got this year, half of them ended up in the top. 5 (out of 39 entries!). I think it just proves that language evolve songs and add an extra spice to it and that music itself is what speaks to us, not the lyrics. In fact 3/5 of the past winners were fully or partly sung in native language.

burrito

I see, well I dunno what went down behind the scenes to be honest and I guess we will never know... but I think Alicja might very well be internally selected by TVP regardless. I really don't think a national final is the right way for Poland (based on how bad they've been), instead the focus should really be to find good songwriters/composers willing to write an entry without much interference from TVP (other than of course sticking to the rules) for a particular artist (Alicja for instance).

I will always dismiss the "message of the song"-argument to send an English language entry, since most people don't pay that much attention to lyrics anyways in Eurovision and there are many casual viewers in Europe (in particular east and south) that don't even have English as their second language, so I think we always overestimate it.

Also, a reminder that the top. 5 in 2021 were 4/5 in native languages, in fact out of the few native language entries we got this year, half of them ended up in the top. 5 (out of 39 entries!). I think it just proves that language evolve songs and add an extra spice to it and that music itself is what speaks to us, not the lyrics. In fact 3/5 of the past winners were fully or partly sung in native language.

I hear you. You have a good point about concentrating about finding a good producer, songwriter and (IMO first and foremost) a performer who the perfect song would be crafted for. I just don't think that TVP is actually capable of that. They have had more than one occasion to prove they can choose the right entry but almost every time they do that, we fail miserably (advancing to the final and placing outside top 20 is also a fail in my eyes - smaller, but still a fail). It is true that we have not had much more success with KE, but 1) at least the one public-chosen entry managed to get to the top 10 and 2) I am really sour about the fact that we chose Alicja and spent our time and money on choosing the song we liked the most, only to have that ignored by the broadcaster the next year and I think they should make up for that by giving the Polish public the right to choose again.

As for the second part - I actually do agree with you about the native language being able to elevate the song. And the point about many viewers not understanding English is good as well, I did not really think about it. What I said was my personal opinion regarding Polish language only as I believe it is a language, usage of which in place of English does not elevate the song hence I would rather have smoother-sounding English used instead in that case. But it is not much more than my personal preference. I am not going to be mad if we end up sending an entry in Polish just because it is in Polish ;)

A-lister

Veteran
I hear you. You have a good point about concentrating about finding a good producer, songwriter and (IMO first and foremost) a performer who the perfect song would be crafted for. I just don't think that TVP is actually capable of that. They have had more than one occasion to prove they can choose the right entry but almost every time they do that, we fail miserably (advancing to the final and placing outside top 20 is also a fail in my eyes - smaller, but still a fail). It is true that we have not had much more success with KE, but 1) at least the one public-chosen entry managed to get to the top 10 and 2) I am really sour about the fact that we chose Alicja and spent our time and money on choosing the song we liked the most, only to have that ignored by the broadcaster the next year and I think they should make up for that by giving the Polish public the right to choose again.
Wait, wasn't the song internally chosen just Alicja was picked from this silly "Szansa na Sukces"? Did I miss something here? xshrug
As for the second part - I actually do agree with you about the native language being able to elevate the song. And the point about many viewers not understanding English is good as well, I did not really think about it. What I said was my personal opinion regarding Polish language only as I believe it is a language, usage of which in place of English does not elevate the song hence I would rather have smoother-sounding English used instead in that case. But it is not much more than my personal preference. I am not going to be mad if we end up sending an entry in Polish just because it is in Polish ;)
I hear, well I am in the camp that the more native languages the better, and I really do believe English is being overestimated alot in the contest.

I agree that Polish isn't the smoothest languages, but it can sound nice if the songwriter is using it cleverly and in the right melody/composition, so it's not as if it's impossible or anything.

We had two entries in French in the top. 3, and oddly French to my ears at least isn't nice as a speaking language but can sound good when sung. The same with Danish... in fact I have this feeling about many languages.

burrito

Wait, wasn't the song internally chosen just Alicja was picked from this silly "Szansa na Sukces"? Did I miss something here? xshrug

In the final there were three entries to choose from. Alicja with Empires, Albert Cerny with Lucy and Kasia Dereń with Count on Me. So yeah, every entrant had their song chosen already, I meant that we could choose which one of those three we liked the best. The final result was still influenced by juries (50/50 split) but yeah there was still a possibility of choice... kinda.

simonPL

Speaking of viewiership I posted it on "Viewing Figures" thread. This is from Nielsen, official source for the market, TVP of course has its own sources and accoring to them 2nd semi got 4 million viewers. ;)

:pl:
Semi 1
1,440,000 (1,33m/10,9% SHR on TVP1 + 108k/0,88% SHR on TVP Polonia)

Semi 2
2,540,000 (2,39m/19,88% SHR on TVP1 + 144k/1,2% SHR on TVP Polonia)

Better than in 2019 (both).
Source

The final has got 1,43 m on TVP1, but I don't know how many viewers watched on TVP Polonia.

All those numbers are better than 2019 ones and final reached a little bit higher result than 2018.

But with Poland in the finals (Cleo, Szpak) - we had almost 5 million viewers during the Saturday night... and the best result is from 2003 (Ich Troje was very huge in Poland that year and t.A.T.u. from Russia as well = almost 9 million viewers).

Jacek Kurski, our pretty boss of TVP, said that he is very proud of RAFAL, so at least he and his wife are very happy because of this choice. Unfortunatelly, TVP looks a little bit offended, because they changed scheduling and they cut out Netflix's movie about Eurovision. It was supposed to be on air in ESC-week, but when Rafał failed, they replaced it.

News channels and TVP services were quiet about grand final as well.

So, maybe withdraw? We'll see. Commentator said something like "see you next year". But I don't know if he has knowledge about it or it was just a saying.

I think Poland will be participating in 2022.
Even with kinda small numbers, 2nd semi was the most popular thing on TVP1 last week.

burrito

The final has got 1,43 m on TVP1, but I don't know how many viewers watched on TVP Polonia.

Whoa. That is really a small number. Speaks volumes about our attitude towards the contest.

simonPL

Whoa. That is really a small number. Speaks volumes about our attitude towards the contest.

1.476.029 in total (TVP1 + TVP Polonia)

And here is the viewership of the grand finals since 2005 (only TVP1 - according to the desctiption - but 2021 is for TVP1 and TVP Polonia as I can see):

eurowizja%202021-5.png

burrito

1.476.029 in total (TVP1 + TVP Polonia)

And here is the viewership of the grand finals since 2005 (only TVP1 - according to the desctiption - but 2021 is for TVP1 and TVP Polonia as I can see):

eurowizja%202021-5.png

crazy. in the 00s even when we did not advance to the final the viewing figures were a lot higher. I am actually surprised that we still had more people watching than in 2019 although it might be due to a break in 2020. We need a strong contender to renew the interest ASAP because come on, 1,4 milion people watching in a 38 mil country is not good

Mimmon

Veteran
So she is intrested to represent Poland in Eurovsion 2022...I like her vocals and looks so why not...I imagine Poland sending her with uptempo song with her.

A-lister

Veteran
^
Doda is way past her prime, so maybe this time around she'd actually do it... although it's not the first time she "hinted" at it (only as a way to self-promote and have people talk, she was never serious about it). But who knows, maybe now she's serious since her career is really going nowhere.

She was rumored some years ago with this song (which imho would have been a much better entry than the meh stuff Poland sent in 2015), but unfortunately it didn't happen.

iwanna belovewithyou

For poland he will go to eurovision Margaret, she has made a video clip in Italy with gay subjects in Rimini, she seems very interested in being there for 2022

rasmuslights

Veteran
For poland he will go to eurovision Margaret, she has made a video clip in Italy with gay subjects in Rimini, she seems very interested in being there for 2022

lol making a video in Italy means nothing... I really don't think she would do it tbh... her new style is very unfriendly to esc I think.

iwanna belovewithyou

Popstar polacca sceglie Rimini per i suoi simboli LGBT come sede del suo nuovo video musicale​

16 giugno 2021
2021061646181032.jpg

The Rainbow catwalk of bathroom 27 and the "Chiringay" evening in Arcigay on Friday 18 at bathroom 28 were chosen by the Polish pop star Margaret for the recording of her new video clip.
Margaret is a very famous Polish singer who has climbed the European charts since 2013 and in 2014 she was included by Forbes among the 100 brightest stars of the Polish show.

Margaret (Małgorzata Jamroży) supports the LGBTI community in a country, Poland, which is one of the powerhouses of homotransphobia in Europe. Lacking any recognition for LGBT families, some areas and activities in Poland have in fact declared themselves "LGBT-free". Precisely in response to this hostility that the European Parliament has declared the EU a "LGBT FREEDOM ZONE" by launching a strategy that leads to effective equality, a strategy that we would like should also be supported and relaunched by the most close to us.
The challenge to discrimination launched by Margaret restarts from Rimini and its symbols of freedom. It is a result that makes us proud of our work and the work of many allied and supportive people such as Stefano Mazzotti, the manager of the 27 bathroom. rights both for those who live, work or come on vacation here.
Marco Tonti
Presidente Arcigay Rimini​

Last edited:

rasmuslights

Veteran
Doda's newest "Don't wanna hide" is much more.. interesting.
it's fine...

but I still think Alicja or Sanah would be the best picks! But honestly Poland has plenty of good artists that would go to esc they just choose not to pick them...

What was TVP thinking about sending Rafal?

Verjamem

Not many artists would like to work with TVP nowadays, I guess. Expect another Rafałish entrant or withdraw.

Mainshow

Veteran
Dobrze. Glad Poland isn't going to withdraw.

Just hope TVP will submit something being able to deliver some vocals + get an authentic and genuine entry.

Top Bottom