So baby, hold on for the ride of your life
High above ground, living it now
I'm gonna take you to the end of the line
Taking that fight, make it alright
It doesn't matter if I stumble and fall
I'll make it through, I'll never touch the ground
Hold on real tight, make it alright

I'm gonna take all the world tonight (Oh-woah-oh-oh)
Not gonna ask, gonna take what's mine (Oh-woah-oh-oh)
So hold on tight, baby, let's get high (Oh-woah-oh-oh)
High above the ground
Ride, staring at the neon signs
Let me figure out what is in and out

High above ground, living it now
I'm gonna take you to the end of the line
Taking that fight, make it alright
It doesn't matter if I stumble and fall
I'll make it through, I'll never touch the ground
Hold on real tight, make it alright​

Last edited by a moderator:

burrito

wait why?

a) this is pretty much a half-assed effort from our broadcaster and it might or might not mean that tvp is losing it's interest in Eurovision
b) we aren't going to the final, and our results are never really good anyway so one may suspect a 2012/2013 scenario happening again (back then, we backed out due to Euro 2012 - apparently, because Ukraine did compete that year, so it wasn't a problem for them, Magdalena Tul was coincidentally dead last in her semi the previous year, and we did not come back in 2013)
c) the way Polish people in general reacted to this questionable choice will probably discourage tvp from trying again
d) there might not be too many artists wanting to be associated with tvp nowadays

I don't want us to withdraw, but I cannot help but think the same way. Unless Rafał goes to the final with whatever outcome in it, we're probably in next year. But if he doesn't - and I'm sure he won't - then a withdrawal is a very possible option imo.

Shadowfuxcs

Poland is in my personal bottom 5 this year. The song is bland but what puts it below average is the singer. I first watched the video fully unbiased and without knowing his background or how got to get the ticket to esc. His performance was so cringe it was hard to sit through the 3 min.
He comes across as totally unlikable, putting up those smug facial expressions while wearing sunglasses during nigh-time and executing the simplest dance moves with the grace of a dying walrus. His flat vocal fails to elevate the song to something more than it is.
As a studio track it could be argued that it can be in the top 10 of the weak semi final 2 but I feel the live performance will be a car crash.

A-lister

Veteran
A-lister's review:

Half-baked attempt at jumping on last year's 80's-inspired Pop trend, the song isn't that bad really but the production (like often the case with Polish entries) seems unfinished and sure void of any personality, blandness and Rafal's monotone singing isn't helping either. Oddly I don't hate the song as much as I thought I would though, maybe I am having some 80's nostalgia going on, so this manages to land in my top. 20 but highly doubt it'll do any wonders in the contest.

hijirio

Veteran
I really enjoy the instrumentals here, but his voice doesn't suit the song at all.
What a shem, Poland has so much potential but they keep wasting their chance every year.
Whoever is the HoD, fire them and choose someone relevant who knows what is good for ESC, and Poland can win ESC back to back like in JESC.

crashworld

Veteran
Poland's staging concept will retain the 80s theme, matching the 80s vibe of the song.
Apparently, the glasses will be part of the styling but not throughout the entire time, and there will be a large amount of choreography (which I believe will not be done by him). The performance will be slightly different from the music video.

Source:

Iker

Veteran
I really enjoy the instrumentals here, but his voice doesn't suit the song at all.
What a shem, Poland has so much potential but they keep wasting their chance every year.
Whoever is the HoD, fire them and choose someone relevant who knows what is good for ESC, and Poland can win ESC back to back like in JESC.
They do not give a shit, and I don't think it is because of the HoD. Probably it is something that our public broadcaster gets concerned about last minute. They bought some demo, found some random guy to sing it and here we go. The song still btw. gives me demo impressions. But yeah I don't see a reason why we couldn't try harder and be successful as we are in JESC.

I would like to add that something like 'Superhero' would be a great choice for the ESC too. Even winning the adult contest would not be out of question with an older but still very young performer. Vicky Gabor's song has become a huge radio hit in Poland btw.

Last edited:

RevNet

THE GOOD:
  • It's a good retro-sounding sound
THE BAD:
  • This song literally goes nowhere.
  • It's only slightly memorable.
THE VERDICT:

This song has something going on for itself, but with no key change, not much is happening. This is another case of somebody that has to sell me the song with a good performance. I'll say that this might make it into the Final, but it is not a winner. 7 points

hungo

THE GOOD:
  • It's a good retro-sounding sound
THE BAD:
  • This song literally goes nowhere.
  • It's only slightly memorable.
THE VERDICT:

This song has something going on for itself, but with no key change, not much is happening. This is another case of somebody that has to sell me the song with a good performance. I'll say that this might make it into the Final, but it is not a winner. 7 points
I dont like that snotty way of posting ones opinion.

midnightsun

Veteran
Why not? Let him be! So many opinions here are posted each day and if one takes their time to go thoroughly through the songs it’s fine!

Having said that - Poland is already at #9 in my top 10. I wish they had a more charismatic singer but hey, he‘s just there for his 3 minutes appearance so be it!
I really love the Flashdance vibes and I instantly remembered the chorus after the first listening.

burrito

i'm genuinely curious how the simultaneous dancing and singing will impact his vocal abilities

Iker

Veteran
i'm genuinely curious how the simultaneous dancing and singing will impact his vocal abilities
Are we sure that he will actually dance? I think he will but it will be some basic choreography.

Last edited:

burrito

Are sure that he will actually dance? I think he will but it will be some basic choreography.

Rafał explained that the song has a large amount of choreography in it that is “dynamic and precise”. -> from the article mentioned above. I don't know but I think that he will dance quite a lot, because if the dancers will have this extensive choreography then I guess that Rafał will have to "match" them as well.

mauve

Veteran
I was listening thru all songs today and I have to say that this song isn't so bad afterall. Could be something like a little guilty pleasure for me - but then again: guilty pleasure? It is a pleasure, but do I have to feel guilty? :unsure:

burrito

I was listening thru all songs today and I have to say that this song isn't so bad afterall. Could be something like a little guilty pleasure for me - but then again: guilty pleasure? It is a pleasure, but do I have to feel guilty? :unsure:

for me it's a matter of a simple question: would i play it in other people's presence? if not, then it's a guilty pleasure :lol:

Iker

Veteran
for me it's a matter of a simple question: would i play it in other people's presence? if not, then it's a guilty pleasure :lol:
For me top 5 guilty pleasures at the ESC are below. 'The Ride' sadly is not a guilty pleasure for me, nor any pleasure. I never feel like listening to it on my own.
1 :lv: 2012 'Beautiful Song'
2 :by: 2011 'I Love Belarus'
3 :by: 2014 'Cheesecake'
4 :lv: 2008 'Wolves Of The Sea'
5 :de: 2009 'Miss Kiss Bang Bang'

I have to listen to one of these once in a while, lol.

Last edited:

escEndre

Hi everyone!

Check out our interview with fun and humorous Rafal here, and please help us grow on YouTube by subscribe our YouTube-Channel! :-)

Last edited:
Top Bottom