13 10.9%

6 5.0%

7 5.9%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Poland-scaled.jpg

opinionsigotem

Oh this makes the rule change more relevant; apparently it's Lake Malawi and not just Albert in the final now (potentially).

Iker

Veteran
I don't really like ABBA either, tbh. I'm just not into that "old" music, tbh. Some older songs can be very charming, though.

I strongly dislike ABBA but I like The Beatles (but not obsessed). Abba's songs are very samey and their less famous songs are like duller renditions of their hits that I don't like to begin with.

Mainshow

Veteran
There is no wildcard ..

They announced the wildcard at the same time when they adjusted the rules stating that Albert can take part.

I mean, they "reserved" the right to announce/choose a wildcard (which doesn't mean that there has to be one, in the end, though))

Uto

Veteran
I agree but let's not forget that Poland is still VERY backwards in terms of equality. There were even many cities and mayors claiming that their municipalites are "LGTB+ free" and a huge newspaper printing and giving away stickers with "LGTB+ free" logos for free.
Completely valid point, but a somewhat unfair generalization I believe. I have no direct experience or anything, but Polish friends tell me that in big urban areas there isn't much of a problem, it's just that rural Poland is very backwards and Poland has a pretty low urbanization rate.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Basically if Albert didn't win the 3rd show they would announce him as the 3rd wild card is what this sums up to.
The semi's in Poland were pre-recorded. They probably made the change as soon as he won the third semi.

Mainshow

Veteran
Completely valid point, but a somewhat unfair generalization I believe. I have no direct experience or anything, but Polish friends tell me that in big urban areas there isn't much of a problem, it's just that rural Poland is very backwards and Poland has a pretty low urbanization rate.

Bialystok is the second largest city in Poland in terms of population density and people got beaten up and attacked because of Pride and the city itself thinks of it being a "LGTB+" free zone.

I don't know where your friends live (probably in Warsaw or Gdansk/Poznan which is quite liberal to some parts) but "being not much of a problem" still involves harrassments, demonstrations and protests against "sodomy" and "pedophilia" on a yearly basis.
I have a Polish friend in Poznan who got beaten up for being gay and a Georgian friend who studied in Warsaw who got beaten up for being "non-Polish".
It's probably not "much of a problem" as long as they hide their sexual orientation.

I frequently travel to Poland and I love this country as a tourist destination, the cuisine, the people's hospitality but it's clearly one of the worst places to live (as a gay person) within the European Union, for sure.

That said, Poland is clearly changing and I can see that young(er) people are way more liberal nowaydays but it's not something to write home about yet... That's why I was kinda surprised that TVP let Nick participate. It's a step into the right direction. It's part of a very (in my opinion, way too slow) process/progress.

Mainshow

Veteran
The semi's in Poland were pre-recorded. They probably made the change as soon as he won the third semi.

That's also what I thought and that's why I'm kinda confused about TVP saying now that they reserve the right to make an artist advance to the final as a wildcard at the same time when they announced the change to the rules (which might have happenend at the same time when Albert did qualify).

However, TVP is just not the best source of providing us information. I wouldn't be surprised if we see 4 artists competing in the "recap"/"teaser" for next week's final all of a sudden :D

Uto

Veteran
Bialystok is the second largest city in Poland in terms of population density and people got beaten up and attacked because of Pride and the city itself thinks of it being a "LGTB+" free zone.

I don't know where your friends live (probably in Warsaw or Gdansk/Poznan which is quite liberal to some parts) but "being not much of a problem" still involves harrassments, demonstrations and protests against "sodomy" and "pedophilia" on a yearly basis.
I have a Polish friend in Poznan who got beaten up for being gay and a Georgian friend who studied in Warsaw who got beaten up for being "non-Polish".
It's probably not "much of a problem" as long as they hide their sexual orientation.

I frequently travel to Poland and I love this country as a tourist destination, the cuisine, the people's hospitality but it's clearly one of the worst places to live (as a gay person) within the European Union, for sure.
One is from Breslau, the other from Warsaw, they now live in The Netherlands. Both are not LGBT themselves, but have friends who are. Sucks to hear that there are apparently plenty of incidents in urban areas as well. That's just not a good sign at all. I think you are correct that this is one of those cases where my friends have perhaps been blind to the idea that when 'we' speak of freedom, we mean public freedom, not private.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
That's also what I thought and that's why I'm kinda confused about TVP saying now that they reserve the right to make an artist advance to the final as a wildcard at the same time when they announced the change to the rules (which might have happenend at the same time when Albert did qualify).

However, TVP is just not the best source of providing us information. I wouldn't be surprised if we see 4 artists competing in the "recap"/"teaser" for next week's final all of a sudden :D
Last year they were really slacking with information as well. "Pali sie" was rumoured weeks before TVP confirmed them and even then, TVP hadn't even informed Tulia their song had been in consideration for Tel Aviv.

Not sure if Lake Malawi would win in Poland. I personally have no problems with that. I loved "Friend of a friend" and I love the idea of them pulling a Lerika.

Mrm

Veteran
Alicja or Albert wold b my choices, but it will all depend on the ESC songs..

Mrm

Veteran
Albert Cerny looked really cute in Szansa na Sukces Eurowizja 2020 on Sunday! :D :)

Top Bottom