Contact us

Pacific States | Chapter 11 | Olivia Rodrigo & Joshua Bassett - Start of Something New

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
GlbHx5y.png

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States - WV59 - Mikal Cronin - I've Been Loved

WV59 - Mikal Cronin - I've Been Loved

Mikal-Cronin-161.jpg

11th in the Final with 141 points
3rd in Semi 1 with 71 points / Reju 4th with 66 points

Traditional thank you message in my greenroom topic... well, thank youxrose 11th for this overwhelmingly beautiful Mikal Cronin song is darn lovely and means a lot to me. I planned to send him to WV months in advance. In fact, he was the biggest reason (along with Judee Sill) for my Pacific States visit, and I have a tonne to send from here as well. I just love him so much. I'm besotted with all the songs i've sent to WV so far but "Hope There's Someone", "Femme Fatale", "The Kiss" and "I've Been Loved" are in a very special category. Might sound a bit silly but they were difficult songs for me to let go of because of the connection I have with them. The fact they've all done very well brings me unbelievable happiness.

A tonne of love to the people belowxheart

:12: :si:be:us::sobr:
:10: :pl::sl:::vict
:8: :lond:
:7: :svea::lv:
:6: :ar::sc::ca::nl:
:5: ::gh
:4: xwhistle
:3: :gr::dk::au::cali:::ctln::neen::pugl
:2: :tt::pe:
:1: xwhistle

Anyway, 60 is a special edition.. who wants another "special" song!?xheat Cry jams a go-go baby
smiley-excited002.gif
xcry1

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Congratulations on this amazing result for an amazing song. xheart

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Have you ever heard the expression "shut up and fuck off?"

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

WV60 - Perfume Genius - Dark Parts

PG.jpg

My artist for a very special edition of WorldVision is none other than Perfume Genius, the stage name of the Seattle-based artist Mike Hadreas. I'm sharing another one of my top favourites with you all (gosh, they all come from the Pacific States). I got into Mike's music many, many years ago. I somehow stumbled across his first album "Learning", a haunting record of mostly piano ballads recorded at his home. At the time i'd heard nothing quite like it. These delicate lo-fi little songs enraptured me. For a while his music was all I wanted to listen to. I found it ridiculously inspiring that here was someone releasing these incredibly personal, fractured songs and that there were people out there who wanted to hear them.

The song i'm sharing comes from Mike's second album, "Put Your Back N 2 It", the first album recorded in a studio. That's not to say that the music lost any of it's charm. "Dark Parts" is a song Mike wrote for his mother. She'd always be asking him why he couldn't make something more positive for once, so he wrote her a song which at first feels very uncharacteristically bright. However, on closer lyrical inspection, the song reveals it's dark parts. It's the story of abuse that his Mother faced at the hands of a family member. Just a little over half way into the song, the drums fade and the vibe takes a heartrending turn. Fun fact that will add even more to the emotion of it all: that's his Mum in the music video. The tree scene at the end always gets to me.

The hands of God were bigger than grandpa's eyes
But still he broke the elastic on your waist
But he'll never break you, baby
But he'll never break you, baby
Oh oh oh oh oh oh...

The hands of God were bigger than grandpa's eyes
But he's long gone

The love you feel is strong
The love you feel is stronger

I will take the dark part
Of your heart into my heart
I will take the dark part
Of your heart into my heart

Screen%20Shot%202012-04-25%20at%202.54.17%20PM.png

Live performances

_________________​

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Re: Pacific States - WV60 - Perfume Genius - Dark Parts

Eh it's fine I guess.

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Utterly entrancing music. I am always amazed at the artists you share with us: They have the ability to pour all the darkness and evil they've seen and suffered in their lives into such powerful and passionate music. Inspiring and wonderful; thank you for sending it xlove

Ringdalen

A powerful and incredible song. Thank you for sharing all this great and deep music with us.
Your entries are one of my highlights, almost every edition xlove

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Thank you to everyone that supported Perfume Genius. So delighted that he reached the final with this song.

Also a rather late thank you to Calvin, Robert and Ole for your lovely, touching words. It means a ridiculous amount when I send songs such as this one and they are appreciated, hitting you just as hard as they've hit me over the years. Thank you so muchxheart

ShoeFlo

The song itself doesn't have the impact on me like for example "I've Been loved" but whenever I become aware of the message and the story of this song I become sad and can hardly hold back my tears. You get me again and again, I didn't know what a sensitive person I am before I met you.

esc87fan

Congrats on making it to the final! The last time we both made it, we both finished in the top 5 - I hope the same thing for us this edition too! :ca::paci:

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

WV60 - Perfume Genius - Dark Parts​

97729.jpeg

3rd in the Final with 183 points
5th in Semi 2 with 74 points / Reju 5th with 67 points

The traditional melodramatic thank you postxheat I certainly wasn't expecting this result tonight. Another top 3!! That's my third one now and you scored this song even higher than Judee Sill's "The Kiss", making "Dark Parts" my second most successful WorldVision entry, only behind the one and only *drum roll*.......... Countess Luannxclap

At this point I feel almost like a broken record but it means a great deal to be experiencing results like these with particular songs. When I joined WV way back in July or August, whenever it was, I never thought for a moment things like this would be happening. I felt like an oddball when I joined this game, and I still feel like one but you people appreciate my oddballness and take my cry jams into your heart. Thank you.

People below, you rockxbow

:12: :lond::neus:::brit
:10: ::pugl:ca:
:8: :ie::us::pl:
:7: :si:be:nl::mn:
:6: :ba:::uusi::sthm:uk:
:5: :de::sobr::sc:
:4: :pe:
:3: :nwen::il:::na::rw:at:::ctln:ar::svea::lv::ma:
:2: ::ista::kyiv:no::en:
:1: :ch:

3 is clearly my lucky number for the monthxrofl2

I thought I knew what I was going to do for the next edition of WV but now i'm uncertain. I was going to move and attempt to throw an uncharacteristic curve ball but now i'm not so sure. When i'm coming so close with songs like "The Kiss", "Dark Parts" and "Hope There's Someone"... I don't know, it just makes me want to continue it.

I could rock, I could synth pop, I could go hip on your hinds or I could just attempt to make you all cry againxthink

Tinchey

Oh please go hip, even though I loved pretty much all your entries so far I think the further you go the less surprised I am by your choices. Which doesn't mean I don't enjoy listening to your songs but I'd like you to drop a bomb and shock me with something I wouldn't normally expect from you. So I think that would be "hip"? xthink

DaFlo

Banned

Yes the fans demand a hip hit mister Rainy :cool: xheat

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Oh please go hip, even though I loved pretty much all your entries so far I think the further you go the less surprised I am by your choices. Which doesn't mean I don't enjoy listening to your songs but I'd like you to drop a bomb and shock me with something I wouldn't normally expect from you. So I think that would be "hip"? xthink

Hip would require me going to your Midwest:lol: I've got a big list of artists I want to send for both Midwest and for my return to Mid-Atlantic. Midwest would actually be fun and quite dangerous. I don't believe i've got anything to cushion me from there. There's a hip hop collective I absolutely adore who i'd send, as well as a lady from the collective who does some solo stuff. In fact, she'd be the number 1 reason for the Midwest move and i'd end up doing an NF with her songs. My plans originally though were to go back to Mid-Atlantic with a really humongous, noisy piece of synth pop, and then try for Kurt Vile justicexheat Perhaps also throwing a bit of jazz in. Still got an absolute tonne from Pacific States though. Mostly really trashy garage rock and lo-fi stuff. Oh the dilemma.

ShoeFlo

When I was looking at my voting documents I made a fascinating discovery.
Apparently there emerged some kind of pattern in my voting:

WV 56: :8: to :paci:
WV 57: :12: to :paci:
WV 58: :8: to :paci:
WV 59: :12: to :paci:
WV 60: :8: to :paci:
WV 61: ....
16500.jpg

I hope you don't wanna break this row. You better make a wise decision IOTAP :lol:

You did well with your last choices. In fact, these last 5 entries I just refered to raised you up to 1st place in the Best Players Ranking. The magic of these songs don't get lost cause every of these songs are beautiful in different ways. I don't think people get tired of it.

Then again I know your passion for these Pot C hits (I don't know a general term) and I guess after sending plenty of melancholic songs recently, now there is an urgent need inside of you to finally send a Pot C song again and I understand that you will get rid of this inner pressure by sending a hot icon or something trashy to WV xthink Don't deny it I know you better than you think I do :cool:

Just send what your heart tells you to send!

Tinchey

Hip would require me going to your Midwest:lol: I've got a big list of artists I want to send for both Midwest and for my return to Mid-Atlantic. Midwest would actually be fun and quite dangerous. I don't believe i've got anything to cushion me from there. There's a hip hop collective I absolutely adore who i'd send, as well as a lady from the collective who does some solo stuff. In fact, she'd be the number 1 reason for the Midwest move and i'd end up doing an NF with her songs. My plans originally though were to go back to Mid-Atlantic with a really humongous, noisy piece of synth pop, and then try for Kurt Vile justicexheat Perhaps also throwing a bit of jazz in. Still got an absolute tonne from Pacific States though. Mostly really trashy garage rock and lo-fi stuff. Oh the dilemma.

Oh that sounds interesting. If you're really planning on moving back to Mid-Atlantic or even Midwest could I suggest you to send Laurie Anderson (she fits both actually). I'm kinda obsessing with her right now. :D But I encourage you to send hip-hop, in fact I'm excited to see what it is. :O

Top Bottom