Contact us

Originality & ESC

LakZaNokte

A discussion on another thread made me think about originality on esc.
I must admit, in esc recent history (so, we are not discussing only this year!), too often I get a feeling "this reminds me of something", "where did I hear something like that?" etc
And that doesn't even cover the ballads. They either work or they don't but they are always just - ballads.
For everything else there's always certain deja vu feeling...when ppl who aren't esc fans hear 99% of the songs it's always the same comment: "it is/isn't ok" but almost every time followed with "NOTHING SPECIAL". And it's true.

Why is esc struggling so bad with originality?
The only truly original entry this year is Montenegro. (still talking about originality only)
Is esc so uninspired cause audience is way too mainstream?

Franco

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Original is a very broad term. What one may consider original may be disputed by others. I personally think there are quite a few original entries in the running e.g. Albania.

One thing we all need to remember that there are only so many melodies out there. Of course some parts of the song will sound like something you heard before, it's unavoidable.

Jukica

(Retired) Admin
Hmm I would add Albania as well, we didn't really hear ballads like this one on ESC

Sean

Admin
Staff member
I think this has been the most diverse and original ESCs ever, but that's me :lol:

Mozz

Yep, I'm pretty satisfied too when it comes to the originality question in this year's edition. I agree with most entries mentioned above, except perhaps Israel, it reminds me a lot of older UK indie music from the 90s. Most original for me are Montenegro, Albania and Finland. I personally would also add Latvia to the list, due to the rather unaverage way of how it seems composed; I've never heard a song like that one before.

LakZaNokte

I think this has been the most diverse and original ESCs ever, but that's me :lol:
diverse, yes, but not really groundbreaking :D

I don't know, maybe I'm too demanding, but I don't like it when some entry reminds me of "some summer hit"/"some club song"/"some radio megahit" etc
it's not about exact melody, lyrics, can be both or neither, it's about the fact that it's reminding of something already done in music industry. I'm guessing that in few yrs, somebody will send some girl that kinda reminds of lady gaga (clothes etc) and sings modern pop. in few years.

p.s. I really hope it won't be Croatia xrofl2

Sabrewulf238

diverse, yes, but not really groundbreaking :D

I'm guessing that in few yrs, somebody will send some girl that kinda reminds of lady gaga (clothes etc) and sings modern pop. in few years.

Didn't that pretty much already happen with Verka?

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
The problem with this year is the amount of radio friendly, cookie cutter songs.. If the contest continues to be filled with dull, uninspired songs that we could hear on the radio anytime of year then thats not good for the contest. I do think though that this is one of the best years in a long time with many unique songs.

One thing I think is terrible for the contest is this pop idol format quite a few countries are starting to use. It's heartless and has no soul. Would you ever get something soo personal and special as Suus from one of these shows? Something that has such a strong connection with the singer of the song? You won't ever. The person just wins a popularity contest and then gets plastered with a song they didnt even choose, let alone write.

Music will always remind people of other music. It's practically unavoidable. It's when the stuff is soo bland and uninspired that I think it becomes a problem.

Top Bottom