Contact us

Official escYOUnited music sxn album and new releases talk thread

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
4u1gsoi.png

2018 is coming to an end, and it's that time again where we look back and think "wow, what a great year for music", or bad year perhaps even. What have been your favourite songs and records released this year? [MENTION=13314]DaFlo[/MENTION] I know you got some (you were waiting for this topic so knock yourself outxheart). All of you are ordered to tell me and everyone else here your musical highlights of this year. 3, 2, 1...... GO! (you can make an album art collage here)

For me personally it's been an amazing year. One of the best I can ever remember actually in terms of new releases by my favourite artists and bands. 2018 saw some of my biggest, most trusted favourites like Kurt Vile, Marianne Faithfull, Part Time and Dessa release new stuff. I also made a few great fresh discoveries *looks in Gavlyn, Demrick and DJ Hoppa's direction*. Can't forget randomly falling in love with Andrew W.K. as well, god bless him. I certainly haven't been perfect this year in terms of trying out new music, but I think i've been a bit better than usual. Still too much cherry picking for my liking. Next year my resolution is to try more music, and be more adventurous whilst doing so. Anyway, these are my favourite records of 2018, BEHOLD:

1. King Tuff - The Other
https%3A%2F%2Fimages.genius.com%2Fff7c03367441f19a72082c659bac454a.600x600x1.jpg

My favourite album of 2018 is a surprise. Not that I don't love King Tuff as he's always been one of my favourite American garage rockers. I just wasn't expecting a record of this maturity from him. Tuff is up there in the garage rock scene with Nobunny and Hunx in terms of craziness. He's a hugely eccentric character. He was also exhausted, lost and depressed. He reached a very dark point in his life and these songs deal with that in such an honest way without losing any of the character he's known for. We see King Tuff standing on the cusp of light here, and he does step through into better times but not before putting his heart on a plate for us with the brave opening track which also stands as the albums title. The Other is a glorious record. These psych rock bops are sunshine soaked, but everything is so weighty and beautiful. You can feel the emotions. King Tuff found himself again and nothing was lost. Just pure gains. Everything here is glistening. Taking that turmoil and turning it into something resplendently beautiful. King Tuff on!

2. Marianne Faithfull - Negative Capability
https%3A%2F%2Fimages.genius.com%2F540dbff2d76e5057ded47d2161f5d5c8.1000x1000x1.jpg

A new Marianne Faithfull release is always like a holy experience for me. This was my most anticipated release of the year, even ahead of Soap&Skin's new one, and it certainly didn't disappoint. If 2014's Give My Love To London was epic and jubilant, Negative Capability is the more mournful and melancholic cousin. In fact, it's a terribly sad record. Marianne has lost friends, continues to battle with poor health, and the terror attacks on the doorstep of her adopted home of Paris have been on her mind. It's a raw and very frank collection of songs. I must have listened to Don't Go about twenty to thirty times in a row on the day of the albums release. I was fixated and still am.

3. Soap&Skin - From Gas To Solid / You Are My Friend
https%3A%2F%2Fimages.genius.com%2Fde695b16dfe754f3a8cd5dfbb389c9ab.1000x1000x1.png

I waited almost seven damn years for this thing. In 2012 Anja Plaschg released the album Narrow, a collection of mostly piano ballads, incredibly dark and sad. That record was a defining point for me and to this day it still probably remains my favourite album of all time. A lot has changed in these seven years for Anja, and From Gas To Solid / You Are My Friend is what happens when a very dark and tortured psyche finds some light. The lead single Heal sets the tone wonderfully. It's lush, it's achingly beautiful, haunting, raw, sincere.. all the things Soap&Skin's music was before, but it's hopeful now. Her music is so dear to me. From Gas To Solid / You Are My Friend is perhaps not exactly what I wanted after waiting seven years for the follow up to my favourite album of all time, but it's what I needed. It's a touching experience.

4. Sadistik - Salo Sessions II
https%3A%2F%2Fimages.genius.com%2F0c3c0ca4d963e3b9771b66e93e22fa73.1000x1000x1.png

In case you can't tell already from the scandalous cover art, this album is dark stuff, even by Sadistik's pitch black standards. It's macabre and twisted in a way that's suffocatingly so. The original Salo Sessions dropped a couple of years back. This new one was a rabbit hole I was a bit hesitant to go down at first, but I kept playing it and playing, and gosh I just couldn't stop. I even ended up loving a remixed version of his song Perseus that features a super weird verse by Slug † Christ. At first I was thinking ".... what's this?". Now every time I hear it i'm swaying. This mini album from Sadistik is so damn good. Try it if you dare.

5. Dessa - Chime
https%3A%2F%2Fimages.genius.com%2F1b8946b1e012206b161c5744b101e11c.1000x1000x1.jpg

The latest gorgeous album from my favourite Doomtree MC. It's a record in which string sections and hard beats, with verses spat out more reminiscent of her Doomtree stuff, all breathe together as one. It's unpredictable. You've got lushly orchestrated songs like Velodrome, delivered by Dessa in a spoken word delivery, coexisting besides fierce shit like the gritty 5 Out Of 6. Somehow it all works in such an organic kind of way. I'm dumb but I feel like i'm getting brain cells delivered to my head courtesy of NASA whenever I put this record on. Dessa is so up there in terms of smarts but she's so fricking down to earth on the mother funking floor that it would be impossible to find anyone delivering this kind of stuff who is more welcoming and easy to appreciate. Chime is a tremendously likeable record.

6. Kurt Vile - Bottle It In | 7. Gavlyn - Headspace | 8. Part Time - Spell #6 | 9. Kali Uchis - Isolation | 10. Lemon Twigs - Go To School

Andrew W.K. - You're Not Alone | Poppy - Am I A Girl? | Shy Boys - Bell House | Aaron Lee Tasjan - Karma For Cheap
Shannon Shaw - Shannon In Nashville | Luluc - Sculptor | Demrick - Stoney Point 2 | Jorge Elbrecht - Here Lies
Yoko Ono - Warzone | Amerie - After 4AM / 4AM Mullholand | Jorja Smith - Lost & Found | Adam Ackerman - Autobiologist
Ty Segall - Freedom's Goblin | Silent Poets - Dawn | Michael Rault - It's a New Day Tonight | Mitski - Be The Cowboy | Teyana Taylor - K.T.S.E.

raindropblue-gif-6.gif

Last edited:

DaFlo

Banned
Re: 2018 Lookback - Your Favourite Albums and Songs
soon

soon

8nANnKv.jpg

01. 🇺🇸 Kids See Ghosts - Kids See Ghosts
02. 🇮🇹 Annalisa - Bye Bye
03. 🇦🇷 Lali - Brava
04. 🇨🇴 Kali Uchis - Isolation
05. 🇺🇸 Kanye West - ye
06. 🇺🇸 Pusha T - Daytona
07. 🇺🇸 Cardi B - Invasion of Privacy
08. 🇺🇸 Travis Scott - Astroworld
09. 🇺🇸 Metro Boomin - Not All Heroes Wear Capes
10. 🇺🇸 6LACK - East Atlanta Love Letter

Best of the rest

W7ubnyU.jpg

01. 🇺🇸 Kanye West - Jesus Is King
02. 🇺🇦 Vremya i Steklo - Vislovo
03. 🇬🇧 FKA twigs - Magdalene
04. 🇺🇸 Tyler, the Creator - Igor
05. 🇺🇸 Sunday Service Choir - Jesus Is Born
06. 🇺🇸 Tinashe - Songs For You
07. 🇺🇸 Kevin Abstract - Arizona Baby
08. 🇨🇴 Karol G - Ocean
09. 🇫🇷 Gesaffelstein - Hyperion
10. 🇬🇧 Mahalia - Love And Compromise

Best of the rest

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Woah, that's the stuff right there. A slay collage. Bless the Wyoming albums for giving us Tayana Taylor's "K.T.S.E.". I think Kanye must have exhausted himself from that quintet of albums, cause Yandi went AWOL and a wild "I Love It" appeared. He needs to be quick though cause I heard something called MCIV is soon coming.

I'm worried next year is not going to be as good... well, at least not as easy. I think i've only got Weyes Blood and Mikal Cronin on the horizon from my big faves, whereas this year I was given so much that I didn't even properly process a lot of it. I'll try and make 2019 a discovery year.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

King Tuff - The Other
Marianne Faithfull - Don't Go
Soap&Skin - Surrounded

Soap&Skin This Day
The Lemon Twigs - Lonely
Marianne Faithfull - The Gypsy Faerie Queen
Dessa - Velodrome
Andrew W.K. - Music Is Worth Living For
Kurt Vile - Loading Zones
Sadistik - Heaven's Gate Away Team

Sadistik - Kerosene Dreams
Demrick - Love Me Now
Silent Poets - Asylums For The Feeling (Feat. Leila Adu)
Soap&Skin - Safe With Me
King Tuff - Raindrop Blue

Chromatics - Blue Girl
Jorge Elbrecht - Wash Away With The Rain
Gavlyn - Headspace
King Tuff - Psycho Star
Aaron Lee Tasjan - Songbird

Part Time - Hide
King Tuff - Circuits In The Sand
Kurt Vile - Cold Was The Wind
Soap&Skin - Heal
Homeboy Sandman & Edan - #NeverUseTheInternetAgain
Sadistik - Crown
Shannon Shaw - Golden Frames
Luluc - Sculptor
MNEK - Tongue
Sadistik - Yokai
Sadistik - Echoes (Feat. Deacon The Villain)
Sadistik - Crown
Sadistik - The Way Down (Feat. Trizz)
Shy Boys - Take The Doggie
Poppy - Aristocrat (Feat. Garibay)
Kim Wilde - Kandy Krush
Marianne Faithfull - No Moon In Paris
The Distillers - Man vs. Magnet
Sarah Bethe Nelson - Hazy
SoBs - Telltale Signs
Marianne Faithfull - Loneliest Person
Poppy - Hard Feelings
Poppy - Time Is Up
Michael Rault - Sleep With Me
Part Time - Spell #6
Andrew W.K. - You're Not Alone
Demrick - OJ (Feat. Gavlyn)
King Tuff - Through The Cracks
Adam Ackerman - Believe
Gavlyn - Looking Back (Feat. Reverie & Vel The Wonder)
A Perfect Circle - Disillusioned
Jorge Elbrecht - Oceans Alive
Dessa - 5 Out of 6
Teyana Taylor - No Manners
Kendrick Lamar & SZA - All The Stars
Parting Lines - Climb
Mac Miller - Come Back To Earth
Kali Uchis - Just a Stranger (feat. Steve Lacy)
The Heartfelts - Can I Come By
Angelic Milk - Acid & Coca-Cola
Angelic Milk - When The Limousines Pass By
Mitski - Nobody
Kali Uchis - After The Storm (Feat. Tyler, the Creator)
Trixie Mattel - The Well
E-Turn - Nowadays
Gian Marco - Besame
Kanye West - Ghost Town
MNEK - Colours (Feat. Hailee Steinfeld)
Marianne Faithfull - Born To Live
Part Time - I Can Treat You Better (Feat. Ariel Pink)
Malibu Ken - Corn Maze
Lauren Harries - Upadoo
Blair St. Clair - Call My Life
La-Roc - Forever

TOPIC INTENSIFIES. I put together all my favourite songs of 2018. I tried to order things into a top 30, although it's very hard and I didn't spend too long thinking about it. The songs in the smaller text are the best of the rest and in no particular order.

The hardest part was choosing what would be my number 1 song of the year, as I changed my mind with what I thought it was going to be originally. I thought Marianne Faithfull's stunning Don't Go had it in the bag, but that lil' King Tuff song up there means so much to me. The lyrics are poetry. It's a song about losing your way and all hope that you had, looking for meaning and then finding yourself again. I'm a sucker for when someone is this honest with their music. Nothing else on his new album is like it musically speaking and so it was an extremely bold move to have it open with this song. The Other is such a mesmerizing psych-ballad. A pivotal turning point for one of the best garage rockers in the game.

Whole year though overall was just amazing. I love all those songs I mentioned, and I'm sure I'm missing out quite a few others too.

DaFlo

Banned

Oh we talking songs of the year now?

Btw did you see Obama's fav songs of 2018? Kurt and Cardi represent
EZ1Homc.png

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

This topic is aliiiiiive. I did see that Obama list actually (weird Kurt song choice though). Stereogum posted it. Kurt's friend Courtney Barnett also on it.

I noticed we both decided to be discriminatory towards Eurovision songs in our lists as Lithuanian bop of the year That Girl by Kotryna Juodzevičiūtė is absent.

DaFlo

Banned

I noticed we both decided to be discriminatory towards Eurovision songs in our lists as Lithuanian bop of the year That Girl by Kotryna Juodzevičiūtė is absent.

The absolute scandal :eek:

But yea I never put ESC related songs in my end lists, otherwise Fuego/Na Pati would surely be there as well.

Kotryna might soon shine in Baltic sisters Spin Off xheat *scandalous promo even though I know you on break but iconic spin off happening*

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

The absolute scandal :eek:

But yea I never put ESC related songs in my end lists, otherwise Fuego/Na Pati would surely be there as well.

Kotryna might soon shine in Baltic sisters Spin Off xheat *scandalous promo even though I know you on break but iconic spin off happening*

It feels kind of wrong separating ESC songs from everything else......... at the same time though it feels kind of right? My mind is in a completely different mode when I'm thinking Eurovision. I don't think I would have included anything Eurovision in my list though (at least from what actually made it to Eurovision). Really bad ESC for me (besides Lithuania's NFxheart).

I must confess that's a very on point spin-off theme as well:ugeek:

DaFlo

Banned

Topic intensifies 2.0

Got my first ever vinyls .. am emotion
IKnUdPS.gif

w8cBBlT.jpg

mZsloWq.jpg

8vIVKgD.jpg

4LQLUug.jpg

cux1x3P.png
cux1x3P.png
cux1x3P.png

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
[MENTION=13314]DaFlo[/MENTION] Wow this is now the 2018 Lookback - Your Favourite Albums and Songs + Vinyl Purchases topic. That's very cool how you've picked up your first vinyl records Flo, and what choices. The Kali Uchis one looks gorgeous. I want that. I love the sexy album art. Do you have a record player now? Collecting vinyl is fun but it can also get kind of pricey, especially when it comes to picking up your favourite new releases. But then that's exactly all I do, just pick up my favourite new releases from time to time. If i'm passionately in love with a record I'll solidify that love by owning it on vinyl.

I only got one vinyl this year and I haven't even opened it yet. I'm waiting to buy a better record player first as my old one was made by Fisher-Price or something, and it was scratching up my records. This King Tuff vinyl I treated myself to and imported from America. It's a special limited losers edition. The vinyl is see-through and with a marble print. It also came with a t-shirt which i've been wearing and some stickers. It will be a lush experience in 2027 when I rip off that factory seal and spin the vinyl.

1dSyONE.jpg

XPrewUN.jpg

LastDreamer

Banned
Honestly I was disappointed by :lt: NF in 2018.
My favourite was Ausra Difarte - Someday, but I wanted to listen new :lt: masterpieces (something like "Sacrifice" / "I Dangu" / "My Home Is Europe").

DaFlo

Banned
[MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION]

I don't have a record player yet. I want a really good one ofc so gon be a lil expensive. Will take some time, maybe 2027.

For now I'm happy just looking at them xheart Yes Kali's looks gorgeous, the vinyl is blue see-through, very hawt. Other two are more basic, but still making me xheat.

I already looked for some more vinyls to buy (older ones), and yeah gon be expensive :lol: But I like collecting, and love the music ofc, so it's definitely gon be worth it.

Ausesken

There are very few songs that I really loved from 2018 (I mean, that kind of song that you listen again and again and you don't get tired of it), and my memory is very selective so I might have forgotten some of them XD. I'll mention the ones that come to my mind, in a random order:

1. Luis Fonsi, Stefflon Don - Calypso. It's so danceable, so catchy, so funny... I LOVE IT.
2. Zahara - Hoy la bestia cena en casa. I don't like the lyrics very much because it's against surrogacy and I'm in favour of it -under certain conditions, but this is another issue I won't talk about here-. However, I love the melody, the dance, its 80s vibes, etc.
3. Ava Max - Sweet but Psycho. If I play this song, I do it 20 times in a row :lol: I think I underrated it in WV, but didn't expect I would stuck in my head like it did after that edition XD
4. Belén Aguilera feat. Raoul Vázquez - Tus monstruos. The instrumental is lovely, the melody is gorgeus, their voices are amazing, the lyrics are very emotional.... I think it's the most beautiful song released in Spain this year... xheart
5. Cher Lloyd - None of my business. Actually I don't know why I like this song so much, I only know that I couldn't stop singing and dancing to it.

I'm sure I forget many songs.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
This is now the official escYOUnited music sxn album and new releases talk thread

@ OP fix title !

Sorry, only just noticed this but I got you🙌

Enjoy the new official album discussion topic. What's everyone looking forward to this year?

DaFlo

Banned
Sorry, only just noticed this but I got you🙌

Enjoy the new official album discussion topic. What's everyone looking forward to this year?
Hello new member here

I'm looking forward to releases from

Kurt Vile

and the following indie artists

Modus Vivendi out now !

DaFlo

Banned
Grimes - Miss Anthropocene out now 🚨💡

Next weeks looking so good :rejoice:

06.03 Jhené Aiko - Chilombo
20.03 The Weeknd - After Hours
20.03 Alicia Keys - Alicia
27.03 Jessie Reyez - Before Love Came to Kill Us
03.04 Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia
17.04 Rina Sawayama - SAWAYAMA

🍽️🍽️🍽️

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
@DaFlo no release date yet for the new Kali Uchis album?

Need these..

06.03 Phantogram - Ceromony
17.04 Nicole Atkins - Italian Ice
24.04 Willie Nelson - First Rose Of Spring
2020 TBC Andrew W.K. - Untitled
2020 TBC The War On Drugs - Untitled
2020 TBC Sadistik - Untitled 🙌

Top Bottom