Contact us

Nurdia (RETIRED)

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
awwww i was waiting for you to send some eurobeat sensations. gutted that you left before that :( and sorry that you felt this way somehow

PopGeek

awwww i was waiting for you to send some eurobeat sensations. gutted that you left before that :( and sorry that you felt this way somehow
If I reserved eurobeat it would likely rank dead last. That already happened to "I Just Wanna Find You" in WLSC 192, so I was pretty convinced anything else I chose would be just as passed up as anything else I tried out.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Sad you're leaving us, and really sad you feel this way. :( I wish you'd stay and keep trying! Balearica Island and Bigicia both had a 15 edition DNQ streak once, and then things got better for them. I had a really bad year in 2020 where I had a long DNQ streak. It really sucks when it happens, but I just keep going and try again.

I don't think there's any bias against "shy" members so to speak. We have long-term members of the contest who've barely posted anything and are never active in the threads or the community, and people who enjoy their entries will still vote for them. I don't think there's much bias against new members either, since we have had newbies win on their first first, second or third try. Newbies often qualify on the regular as well. I think there's a combination of factors at play here: ending up in the wrong semi (where you could have qualified in the other), receiving more mid/low pointers than top pointers, just missing out on people's top ten, and sadly not having taste compatibility with enough people.

dogmeat

I think your reaction is too hasty. There is really no correlation between activity and scores. Sakuralia's been doing poorly despite @escfan87 always posting in the shows. I think you two have somewhat similar taste, which isn't NSC mainstream. But she's staying true to herself and keeps sharing her favorite songs after all these years. Even when your song isn't be to everyone's taste, there will always be someone who'll enjoy it. @Morty has been here even longer and too had numerous dnq streaks, and yet one day Balearica won with style... and then again 3 edition later.
I gave high points to Don't Believe the Things They Say and Another Cup of Coffee. There are people who liked some other of your entries. Maybe there is a song you could send that will be liked by us all at once. Or maybe not.
NSC is just a game where 60 random people rank songs according to their taste and some people will align with those 60 better than others. And I believe those who don't always fit in are needed the most here, to provide variety and prevent NSC from becoming a Doire circlejerk.
I know how it feels when a song you love is rejected by a majority - I've had scores in all corners of the scoreboard, but I'm just as happy with the ones that ended at the bottom as the ones that ended on top. The key is not to take results personally and just enjoy the game.

Lenalite

Sad to see you go.

I have been voting for you whenever you sent something that appealed to me sonically, and I was excited to see where your nation was going to take us next. But I understand why you would feel the way you do, and I think how you feel is valid.

It is always difficult to feel like you are a part of a community. Especially somewhere with so much history. I have been here for 10 years myself - and unfortunately, even I, who has been participating since NSC 55 can’t say I feel like I am a part of the community fully. I don’t think your results have anything to do with that though. I won like 6 (or 7?) times and I only talk to 2-3 people from NSC in private semi-regularly (and we don’t even talk about NSC by the way).

But yeah, NSC is a unique contest and its collective taste is rather unpredictable. You never know which songs are going to be appreciated. So I would advice you not to be so focused on the competitive aspect, if you choose to give it another go.

Good luck!

Schlagerman1

Sad to see you go. I remember that when I was competing in WLSC that Nurdia at times got quite high scores from me, but sadly, I haven't been connecting to your songs in the same way since coming on the roster. If it is because the competition is bigger and stronger, or maybe it was just that your songs lately just haven't been what I hoped for, I don't know. I liked your song this edition though.

Either way, I hope you have sent songs that you liked and that is what is most important. I have had times where I almost never qualified (I had two qualfications in ten editions back between 22 and 31 and never did better than 19th) and that has felt like a curse almost and that almost noone liked my taste. But if you keep going, sending songs you like, then suddenly you just BAM get a top 6 placement and that moment is precious.

But if you made your final choice, I hope you get a good future.

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
If I reserved eurobeat it would likely rank dead last. That already happened to "I Just Wanna Find You" in WLSC 192, so I was pretty convinced anything else I chose would be just as passed up as anything else I tried out.

I think eurobeat has potential to do well in NSC. You might even find more success with that than what you've been sending so far. You never know until you try; NSC is not the same as WLSC. Personally, I find that NSC has an odd way of rewarding you the most when you're trying the least.

I do agree with you that there is a small amount of (mostly unconscious) bias towards members with a stronger presence in the community, but everyone on the roster manages a top 6 eventually. Personally I have a 29% qualification rate and often go for stretches of 10+ editions without qualifying (like I am currently doing). But I've also won twice. So my advice is to keep sending songs you love, enjoy discovering new songs from everyone else, and be pleasantly surprised when you strike gold and get that elusive PQ. The real sign that you should maybe consider withdrawing is when you don't enjoy listening to the other songs anymore.

I hope you will reconsider, but all the best to you if you do leave!

tuorem

@PopGeek Sis, delete this "retired" and reconsider please. :( You are adding diversity to the contest. I am well-aware it is disappointing not to fare well with songs you personally connect with: putting the competitive aspect of NSC aside, I think it is a good platform to showcase your taste and present songs you like to others.

Why not keep building the Nurdish legacy and see what might happen next?

While I do get your point about members' popularity, it does not come into play for me when voting, it just defeats the point of the game imo. I hope you're not really leaving, but if you do, then you will be missed.

nofuxCZ

I encourage you to reconsider your decision.
There are people in NSC who I have never talked to and who are not active in the community, yet they get good results once in a while. If you stay true to yourself, don't overthink what to send "to get a qualification / good result", then the good results will come eventually. I usually send the song which is my most listened to during the time of the reservation period - sometimes, it works, sometimes it doesn't. As some people already mentioned, there are nations who had 10+ editions DNQ streaks and then eventually won - Begonia could be the most recent example as they didn't qualify for 10 editions in a row between NSC179-190 and then won in 191.

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
I can understand how you feel. I was going to retire after NSC 65 (I just really wanted to send Eiffel 65 to NSC 65 first), because I felt exactly like you do. My results were poor, and I was starting to take it personally. I was talked out of it tho, and I'm very happy I was. I got a second place in NSC 70, but that's actually less important in the long run (altho it's obviously great to see some of my entries be liked). What's important to me is that I get to discover a lot of great music I never would have heard if it wasn't for this contest, and I get to show all of you what I like. And it's made me see music in a different way too, whenever I hear a great new song, I'm always thinking "hmmz, would this be Balearica Island material?" The answer to that is far too often "yes". But I'm never thinking "hmmz, would this qualify to the final of NSC?", because that's not why I'm in this (and the answer would most likely be "no" anyway). Good results are just a bonus to me. Now, I know a lot of people here see it differently, but we're all different. Some would sell their soul for a good result in a forum contest, and others couldn't care less. This forum is a Eurovision forum, and my taste in music doesn't strike me as typical Eurovision. I mean, I had Embers in my top 10 this year. :rolleyes: So it's not a massive surprise that my entries don't do well here. But I no longer take it personally, even tho my results are still pretty poor. I have a long streak of DNQs going again, and I don't really see any finals for Balearica Island in the near future either. But I'm not going anywhere. :)

esc87fan

Dogmeat and Vasilije are correct in my case. I've had so many lows over the course of my 6 years on the main roster including a stretch of 10 editions early on where I habitually DNQ'd, and yes I do get heartbroken and frustrated when a song I believe in so much gets overlooked or gets close to qualifying. I've tried to broaden my horizons with all kinds of music, even some that I consider to be out of my comfort zone such as when I sent Mary J Blige last fall.

And yes, there have been times when I got so frustrated I wanted to throw in the towel.

But have I truly given up? No, that's not really the Sakuralian way of thinking. I just keep trying until I get it right, it did lead me to a few great results including runner-up of 144 and the opportunity to host 145. And just now, qualifying after 8 consecutive DNQs with a Spice Girls song I still love to this day is a victory for me no matter where I eventually place in the final ranking.

All it takes is the right song and a lot of luck. And even if you finish last in your semifinal which I can say from experience I've done multiple times, always know that there are people in the community out there who do like what you sent

Whatever you decide to do is up to you. If you do decide to withdraw, I wish you the best in whatever comes next and I will still see you around the forums. Stay strong!

ferret

Well, I will not tell you for the third time, how in 2 years of participating with Hungary (another contest), I got only 2 finals... By the way, those songs that received the top-6 in the NSC remained in the semifinals too. It's just that people have a different taste. But I don't give up hope! In addition, I also write a little on the forum and Worldvision has already suffered because of this, they stopped noticing me there....:lol::mrgreen:

@PopGeek
The only thing you need right now is a couple of months of rest. If after them you remember about the NSC, then you really need it. And all these persuasions and send-offs have the opposite effect.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I knew this was coming eventually, especially after you quit WLSC in a similar fashion. In fact, I was lowkey amused how you thought NSC would be a better fit for your more on the (retro) pop side taste than WLSC.

Girl, it has nothing to do with friendly voting or activity. It's just this is the people's taste in this contest. I've been taking part since 2013 and while I was pretty active I suppose, I never really felt fully integrated in the community. But that's the thing, there really isn't one full cohesive community in this contest. There's the people who post on the forum regularly, the ones who hang out on Skype and the ones who hang out on Discord (it's not that active but still).

I have something like 25 songs out of 67 that qualified in the contest which is something like 37% qualifying rate. It's really abysmal compared to the one I have in WorldVision. But can I really blame the other participants for it? It's just a game after all. I know it's hard not to take it personally because at the end of the day I still feel sad after every DNQ and it feels like you are rejected, but I have to remind myself to not take things that seriously. There's always next time! And I've managed to get into top 10 too, although only 4 times in total lol, but it happened so if people actually hated me it would never happen, right?

I liked some of the stuff you've sent but some haven't really been my style and it's hard to fit only ten songs in a top. Nevertheless, you bring a completely unique flavor to the contest and it would be a shame to see you go. I also liked the creativity you put in creating your nation, stuff that some participants here can't be arsed to do. Nurdia has style, it has its own vibe.

I hope you reconsider because results are not everything to this contest. And to WLSC as well. In fact, I'm hosting the current edition and I would love to have you back there. xheart

Sabrewulf238

I don't feel like I've done anything specifically wrong, but I feel like I'm naturally at a disadvantage because people don't know me enough. I can't be convinced at this point that there's not at least some bias in favor of other, more established members of the site who talk about their entries more actively to each other.

There are nations I often give high points to and I haven't a clue who the member attached to it is. Like, who is the member attached to Ujedinjeni Gvozd? I honestly can't tell you off the top of my head. (sorry to this person)

On the other hand I know Cydoni-Gibberia is the other Sean (and they also debuted in the contest around the same time I did) but I think I've only given them points once in the last ten contests.

I'm only one person though...but I'd guess there would be other people who would say they have a similar experience to me.

Also, I competed in a different song contest where I was almost constantly failing to qualify (so my situation there feels similar to yours here), but I never used friend bias as my reason for leaving.* Ultimately my taste in music was the reason I was performing so badly, it wasn't like in NSC where sometimes I do really well and sometimes I flop, I was pretty consistently underperforming in that contest. I didn't do anything wrong, my tastes just didn't mesh with the contest.

*and I really could have, the forum that contest was hosted on was super clique-y.

theCONWEL

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I really hope you reconsider and stick around! I just think you haven’t found that balance between songs you love and songs that will do well in NSC yet. There are a lot of songs that I’d love to send for ::tad but I know they’re surefire contenders for the bottom of the semi, therefore I tend to go for other songs that I love that I believe will be more competitive in the contest. So far this approach has got me pretty decent results with 4/6 finals and 2 top 10s already so maybe try switching up the way you select your entries a bit? I’m sure good results are just over the horizon so I urge you to keep trying! I’m also not super active on the NSC forum but I’m still managing to get respectable results, so I want to reassure you nobody is purposely snubbing you just because it’s you. Everyone has a fair shot in this contest, sometimes the results just don’t turn out in your favour but that’s all part of the game.

I‘ve not been a big supporter of Nurdia in NSC so far unfortunately, but I remember some of your WLSC entries being my absolute favourites (particularly Rachel Stevens - I Said Never Again and Louise - Hammer). I’d love to see you send more entries like these to the main game so I can throw my points your way xheat

I hope the responses here have been able to change your mind, but if not then you will be missed and I hope to see you around the forum! xlove

Kimrt

Thanks for the messages everyone...I'll stick it out at least a little longer. Sorry I haven't been more proactive.
I am glad you will stay xheart I really liked your entry this edition :(

lol at that angry reaction ;;

PopGeek

Sorry, but after several more months of contemplation, I have officially decided to retire Nurdia from NSC. I wanted to at least make it to edition 200 and send at least one eurobeat entry. Predictable result, though at least it wasn't last.

I do horribly enough in these contests that it genuinely hurts my self-confidence about my taste in music. Every single time a results show takes place, my pulse starts accelerating in dread, and pretty much every time I'm bitterly disappointed with the result. It leaves me feeling indifferent about the contests, to the point that voting feels like a chore I have to get out of the way, rather than a fun side-activity in my schedule. I've already burned enough bridges anyway, so I don't expect to make any real new friends on a site that basically shuns me for appreciating the wrong things in music, intentionally or not.

I hope you can understand that this is all personal choice and simply what I feel is best for my mental health.

Thanks to everyone who supported me this past year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom