Contact us

NSC Wiki

Fearnavigatr

2022-12-28:

The Wiki is back!

-----------------------------

nscwiki.com
or https://nationsongcontest.miraheze.org/

This is our very own Wiki database, hosted by the kind people at Miraheze.
The purpose of the NSC Wiki is to provide a resource of the Nation Song Contest, the history of all previous entries in all previous editions, all the participating nations past and present and a wealth of other information. It is also an area for participants to flesh out the lore and details about their fictional nations.

Being a Wiki, the database relies on user-generated content. That means it's up to all of you to keep the content correct and up to date. Anyone can edit the Wiki, and we rely on this community effort to make sure the whole thing works. There's always a lot of pages in need of renovation or even creation, so if you feel up to the task, grab your keyboard and get to work!

I am the administrator (but likewise a regular contributor) of this Wiki, so feel free to contact me with any questions or suggestions.

Some general guidelines when editing the Wiki
*In short
Don't spam, make sensible edits and respect other contestants!

*Editing contest pages
The most important part of the Wiki is the general pages detailing all the contest history and other such information with huge importance to the community, the best example would be any of the articles about individual editions of the contest. These are of interest to everyone, and they're for anyone to contribute to.
When editing a contest-related article, make sure you try to follow the styles established in previous articles, such as the position and contents of templates, the layout of tables and styles of writing. Correct spelling and grammar is essential, but stylistic variations in names, including nations, artists and song titles, should be followed (example: artists with odd capitalizations, such as iiO or HammerFall). As a rule of thumb, everything should be written only with the Latin alphabet, but try to make sure to include all the correct accents in non-English names and titles (such as Rinôçérôse or Björk). Use the assets available to figure out proper spellings, styles and accents if you're uncertain.
If you don't know the proper way to include an addition with your edit, check around, see if there's anything like it to compare to, or simply ask. Don't be disheartened if someone comes along to correct your edit or gives you pointers for future editing. The Wiki is and will always be a community effort, and your contributions are always appreciated.

*Editing nation pages
As a participant in the contest and the owner of a nation, you are free to create a page about your nation and fill it with various information such as language, culture, history, NSC history or anything else that fits your liking. You are also free to create an unlimited amount of individual pages about your nation's various cities, provinces, celebrities or any such items. While it's recommended to keep the pages well formatted, the content is entirely up to you, and the only requirement is that you categorize the pages within your nation's category and don't give the articles confusing names that can be easily mistaken as related to something else.
Generally, you should not edit articles belonging to someone else's nation without their permission. However, you should accept that nation articles do get occasional outside edits, usually moderation to fix categories or names, but also to clean up things like sloppy formatting or rule breaches such as spam content.
Try to be respectful with content that you add to your nation's pages. Personal attacks are naturally not tolerated, but also check that things like your nation's fictional history doesn't contradict with someone else's history or control details of someone else's nation in a way they don't approve of. Especially if your nation has a location on the map that was previously occupied by a now defunct nation, it's good courtesy to acknowledge that previous nation's existance.
Articles about NSC artists are on the borderland between contest-related and nation-related. If you are the sole sender of a particular artist, feel free to claim the page as your own to make most of the edits, but if the same artist has been sent by another nation in a different edition (or several), it's important that you try to compromise.

*Editing The Dictionary
The NSC Dictionary is perhaps the most popular and topical article on the whole NSC Wiki, and is in much a category of its own. It is one of few articles based entirely around the community aspect of the contest rather than role-playing or the contest aspect itself, and features more or less helpful descriptions of various in-jokes and jargons created by the community, most notably in the group conversations commonly taking place on Windows Live Messenger (MSN). The whole page exists mostly just for fun, and should not be taken seriously or looked at as a credible source of information. While many of the dictionary definitions properly describe the entries to make them more understandable for outsiders, a lot of the content is still mostly added as in-jokes or silly memes without the intention of being helpful. You are free to add your own words and definitions, but try to keep the relevance at a good level, don't go adding dozens of random crazy jokes that only you will understand.
Most importantly, be respectful! Since we're all in a community, things like hostilities or back talks can often arise, and the Dictionary is the most vulnerable place on the Wiki to contain personal attacks. Any dictionary entry making reference to a person in NSC must be approved by the person being referenced him/herself. An entry making jokes at the expense of another person or any other kind of harm, whether intentional or not, will be immediately removed, and action may be taken against the author. If you find yourself being unjustly attacked by another NSC member in the Dictionary (or anywhere else for that matter, both in or out of the Wiki), do not hesitate to report this to an NSC mod.

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Unless otherwise noted, the answers in this FAQ are written for the regular source code editor rather than the graphically based Rich Text editor. To turn off Rich Text as your default editor, while logged in go to the "MORE" list in the top right corner and click "Preferences". Choose the tab called "Editing" and uncheck the "Enable Rich Text Editing" option.

*How do I edit an article?
Press "Edit this page", write your text in the big white box and press "Save page".

That's pretty much the whole gist of it. A lot of people who don't take their time to edit the Wiki unfortunately do so because they don't understand how the Wiki works and think it's more advanced than it actually is. It doesn't have to be hard! Just write your text, and if you need to do something fancy with it, such as bold or italics, take a look at the interface buttons and see if the function is there. It's okay if you don't know how to make tables, templates or stuff like that, do what you can and let other people handle the rest! If you want to learn the more advanced stuff, you can ask for help or take a look at Wikipedia's help contents.

*What's up with [any outdated article]?
No one has updated it, simple as that. As unfortunate as it is to see pages left untouched for years, we can't force people to stick around and devote their free time to keep the whole Wiki up to date. If you want to see it fixed, perhaps you could have a go at updating it yourself? Otherwise, if you ask around there may be a kind soul willing to take their time with it, but don't rely too much on everyone else to keep up the Wiki maintenance for you. We're all just human, and we all often have more important things to do.

*How do I upload pictures and add them to articles?
In the default layout, there should be a link in the menu to the left called "Upload file". After browsing for the file in your computer and uploading it, you will get a file name that is basically the page name when looking at the picture (example). When adding the image to an article, you'll want that page name, but with the namespace Image: rather than File:. Add it like you would a link to a different article, within two brackets. The file name is case sensitive, and it's important that it is written exactly like it was after you uploaded it.
Code:
[[Image:Arjastan.png]]
To give a picture a caption, you make it into a thumbnail. Add a line break (|) in the code after the file name and write "thumb" after it, add another line break and write the caption after it.
Code:
[[Image:Arjastan.png|thumb|Flag logo of Arjastan]]
gives
arjfaq.png

Our Wiki uses the same code as regular Wikipedia, so for more formatting options, you can use their help page for reference:
Wikipedia Picture Tutorial

*Where'd the cheese go?
I dunno.

*Can my waiting list nation have its own article(s)?
Sure, we've usually allowed this, albeit informally. Just keep in mind that the Wiki overall is focused on NSC, and WLSC is considered an independent side-event unrelated to "NSC canon".

Last edited:

ClassifiedCat

Is it alright for you guys if I make a different account on Wikia for that Wiki alone?

Keko

PLEASE READ THIS
Hey everyone I have a small favor to ask. If your nation has a wiki page could you please edit any information about location and/or geography, including outdated maps, so that all info corresponds with current map. If you don't have time to re-write it or are too lazy, at least just delete the outdated info. That would be a lot of help, thank you. =)

strajker

PLEASE READ THIS
Hey everyone I have a small favor to ask. If your nation has a wiki page could you please edit any information about location and/or geography, including outdated maps, so that all info corresponds with current map. If you don't have time to re-write it or are too lazy, at least just delete the outdated info. That would be a lot of help, thank you. =)

PLEASE READ THIS TOO:
If you don't know how to edit the Wikia or update the stuff, you can also send me your details so I will put it to the Wikia. Post the details about your country here or send it to me on Skype (if you have me as a contact on Skype).

I plan to catch up on everything that is outdated e.g. spinoffs, and stuff before I can properly withdraw (whenever, that is).

strajker

PLEASE READ:

If you have hosted a Spinoff, it would be really helpful if you check this, and if you've got an excel list of the songs from the spinoffs that are missing [red] (or just a textual list), it would be really appreciated to have it, as if I had the excel list of entries, updating the Wikia would be a lot easier, as excel cells can be converted into Wikia style ones.

Spinoff contests - Nation Song Contest

Thanks!

Also! If you have a list of your own entries in an excel file, and you don't have a Wikia page, you can send that to me too, and I'll set it up to the Wikia.

strajker

I've made some updates to the Main Page, well not really updating any content of it, but adding a new section reserved for deadlines and countdowns.

For adding a new one, use this...

Code:
<span style="display:none;" class="countdown"><big>TEXT HERE WHAT IS GOING ON:<br /><span style="color:#e71b1b" class="countdowndate">MONTH DD YEAR HH:MM:SS PST</span> </big></span>

<center>
<span style="display:none;" class="countdown"><big><span class="nocountdown">Counter unavailable.</span></big></span>
</center>

That PST thing is kind of fucked up, as it has to stay there in the code, but I've managed to edit the javascript so that the deadlines are actually enterred as CET not PST. We can use this for FiC too :eek:

spiluke

I am very sorry to bring this up, but I am a very forgetful person and forget most of the songs which were previously in NSC. I need to search for some entries and check if the artist and/or song have already been in NSC but the Database has been down lately. Is there another convenient alternative which I can use to find previous entries?

spiluke

The Wiki? Just type in the artist or song title in the search box? If the song title has a lot of common words that would be found in other song titles, use one or two distinct ones.

I thought there was a general conception that the Wiki was painfully slow and it was not updated lately. Am I wrong? :D

anselm

I thought there was a general conception that the Wiki was painfully slow and it was not updated lately. Am I wrong? :D

Unfortunately the most recent editions are missing (but that applies to the database as well). But it's not slow at all (although you might be referring to the wiki page with all entries which hasn't been updated for... three years?) :eek:

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
For me it's the other way around. The wiki works like a charm, but the database is painfully slow (and rarely works). I use the wiki all the time.

spiluke

Unfortunately the most recent editions are missing (but that applies to the database as well). But it's not slow at all (although you might be referring to the wiki page with all entries which hasn't been updated for... three years?) :eek:

That was when I switched to using the database as it worked wonders.
The wiki is great though, I'm re-orienting myself as it's been a while since I logged on! Thanks to both for the help

Leaf

Looking through old voting tables for statistical purposes and finding out that they're gone can be somewhat frustrating, so I've started to upload them to the wiki.

strajker

Looking through old voting tables for statistical purposes and finding out that they're gone can be somewhat frustrating, so I've started to upload them to the wiki.

Btw, big
fb-like1.jpeg
to Alex for updating the editions missing from the Wiki.

Top Bottom