Contact us

NSC Spinoffs: Information | Spinoff#177 | VOTE!

Veronika

NSC Mod
Staff member
eyCciy6.png

CURRENT SPINOFF (#177)
TBA

COMPETING THEMES (177)

1. All Around The World: a real-world country is chosen by the host. All artists competing in this event must be from the chosen country. In the case of groups, the majority of people in the group must be from the country. The song can be in any language.

2. AATW type of Spinoff but with NSC nations

3. AI Cover Spinoff

4. Covers & Remixes 5
: everyone has to send cover or remixed version of a song previously entered in the main contest, including the original versions of songs whose covers or remixes were entered in NSC.

5. Major/Minor: songs changed from major into minor key (and vice versa)

6. NSC ESC Classic: any entry from any year allowed

7. NSC NF

8. Oldies
: tba, the host can decide the timeframe

HISTORY OF SPINOFFS SO FAR
PART 1
PART 2

SPINOFF CONTESTS WIKI
CLICK

Last edited:

Veronika

NSC Mod
Staff member
Hey hey!
I'm going to announce that a new schedule of spinoffs will be created soon.
And I will need your opinion to make the schedule most convenient and most suitable for everyone.

The question is about recurring spinoffs.

What is a recurring spinoff?
It's a spinoff which should happen regularly (for example after 2-3 other spinoffs), not depending on the polls.

At the moment recurring spinoffs are All Around The World (AATW), Oldies and Eurovision National Finals Spinoff (NSC NF).

But times have changed, and we thought that maybe you want some changes.
Nevertheless, if the majority wants to leave everything as it is, then it will be so.
But just in case, I want to know what you all think.

So, I'm asking you to pick 2 or 3 spinoff themes which you would like to see as recurring ones the most and post them in this thread.
Just your personal preference: in which spinoff would you like to take part most often of all?
I don't see any point in creating a poll, because there're quite a lot of themes.

- do not mention Congrats, NSC ESC and ESC Karaoke, as they are supposed to happen when the time comes.
- the list of all the spinoffs can be seen in the 1st post.
- if you have any questions regarding spin-off themes and rules - please feel free to ask me.

Once again, this survey is needed to make a clear schedule of the future spinoffs.
The more opinions - the better!
Just in case, I'll mention everyone (+WL).

@Serena @Schlagerman1 @Territrius @Steffan @Mrvn @SaladBreak @Morty @pjelacki @nofuxCZ @Gera11
@daniels1000 @whiteshoes @renzo @Yoni @spiluke @Sean @doctormalisimo @Ewigkeit @pyryniemi @Denisaa
@berlyda @Lenalite @azilio99 @Romeo @Mozz @Chickflopia @MARCOMEN @LesterMalvo @Veliky @Kimrt
@EurovisionSmile @Nicholas123 @Lonter @ClassifiedCat @Mattan @theditz83 @ferret @sigi @Leaf @CypriotGirl
@Splash @94ayd @Charly @Eulaliya @FabiESC @dogmeat @esc87fan @Karhu @AshleyWright
@Koori @Rmetr0 @anaraqueen @My Star @Stargazer @VasilijeM @Alevender @Fearnavigatr @kopachka @VedatiNet @as78 @takeru

@zechhh @Milos-BC @PopGeek @theCONWEL @marc @Edweis @tuorem @Marlfox

I'll give you all a bit more that a week for that, so the DDL is 10/03, but in case the number of opinions isn't enough, I'll probably extend this.

Last edited:

Veronika

NSC Mod
Staff member
I don't like it. Why would some spinoffs happen regardless if people want them?

Well, if the majority thinks the same way, I think it would be fair to get rid of recurring spinoffs.
Let's see what other people will say.
I'll tell my opinion as well, but a bit later.

Last edited:

takeru

Way back in ancient history, the concept of a “recurring spinoff” was to differentiate them from unique themes that only happened “once”.

Of course, over time, the unique themes also would end up eventually being repeated, because people liked the idea and wanted to try it again.

Another key difference though between those recurring spinoffs and unique spinoffs is that recurring spinoffs would have a new theme each time to distinguish it, whereas unique themes would essentially be a repeat of the exact same theme.

There are exceptions of course, e.g. Melodic Picture or Unfair Host where the critical theme is different. But some are fundamentally exactly the same each time, e.g. Mystery.

Some used to be exactly the same each time, but eventually people came up with ways to vary the theme e.g. Languages 1, 2, 3 were the same concept but then Minority Languages put a twist into the original concept. This would be the best compromise in my opinion.

So, I would propose that the ideal recurring spinoffs are ideas that get repeated, but don’t just produce the same contest each time i.e. they still have their own unique theme. For this, AATW, Genre, Oldies all guaranteed a unique theme. So future recurring spinoffs should have the same idea of recurring but with a special new theme each time, imo.

...Of course, having said all that, the most important thing is to get spinoffs running regularly and popularly again. So maybe it would be good to establish that spinoffs happen regularly first, without minding which spinoff it is. And for that, the biggest hurdle is willing hosts.

apasionata

Super Moderator
Staff member
In all honesty I just want Spinoffs to actually take place instead of simply discussing them.

Personally, I propose abolishing of time-consuming host duties (design-demanding banners, scoreboards per se) in order to respark the community interest.
Let's keep it plain and simple and just let the ball roll.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
In all honesty I just want Spinoffs to actually take place instead of simply discussing them.

At least this yes. We always seem to get to a point where no one cares enough to start a poll or wants to host, but still plenty take part. It would good if Spin offs could be a constantly recurring thing, or at least have some 'control' so we don't go months and months without any spin off at all.

---

As for this recurring spin offs, i dont mind either way. It's an alien concept to me, but considering how popular themes like AATW are i suppose it's a good thing.

Veronika

NSC Mod
Staff member
You should understand that I'm doing this survey in order to solve the issue of the spinoffs schedule for good and to avoid any confusion in the future.

If you don’t want any recurring spinoffs at all - say it, then they will be abolished, if the majority decides so.
I mean, AATW, Oldies and NSC NF will certainly be available, not as recurring spinoffs, but as regular ones, i.e. their hosting will be decided following the regular system (suggestions and then polls).
If you want to keep recurring spinoffs, say which ones you want to see as such.

P.S. in order not to waste time, you can simultaneously suggest themes for the next spinoff (#146).
But please don't forget to speak out on the issue of recurring spinoffs anyway! I can't make any decision without your opinions!

Last edited:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I think we should keep them, they're popular for a reason, if not those themes will keep dominating regular spin offs.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I'm with Ashley here, if they are popular we should do regular editions every now and then otherwise they will always win in the regular polls. Among these so called recurring spin-offs, AATW is the one that interests me the most. Genres and Covers/Remixes would be cool too, if they count in this category.

As for #146, I'm still going on with my stupid idea
Languageception : the entry must be sung in neither English nor in the mother language of the artist.
I had another one not so long ago, but forgot it. I'll come back again if memory strickes back.

And in case he doesn't see this post or changes his mind, I'm throwing in @tuorem's ideas that I liked :
Rainbow Rumble (every participant has to send a song whose title has a colour in it)
Life Is A Movie (every participant has to send a song featured in the soundtrack of a movie)

dogmeat

Personally, I propose abolishing of time-consuming host duties (design-demanding banners, scoreboards per se) in order to respark the community interest.
Let's keep it plain and simple and just let the ball roll.
Personally, I like when there's *something*. I'm not in NSC just to listen through a playlist. A weekly generated Spotify playlist woud suffice for that. It's all the other little things that make the game. And a good show doesn't have to be design demanding if it's creative in any way. Rather than hire professional graphic designer, you can use screencaps from the Simpsons and everyone will like it. Or even simple yet effective, to-the-point, thematic graphics do the job just fine, like last AATW.

Anyway, I suggest Genres, as always
And Effifestivalen

Alternative voting system
(the host invents a new creative voting system)
Comfort zone (you send a song that best fits your overall taste in music) - there was once a spinoff opposite of that

dogmeat

Oh, and one more really stupid idea I just had that I really like:
Nothing spinoff (we're not sending any songs, but we're having a show, voting and results as normal; we might even do a live listening)

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
Like Ashley said, I think re-establishing the recurring spinoffs will help a great deal in getting spinoffs running regularly again. It reduces the need for time-consuming suggestions threads and polls, which I can see the community getting tired of soon. Having a spinoff schedule also reduces the dead time between spinoffs, which can sometimes be quite long, depending on people's motivation.

I would propose that the ideal recurring spinoffs are ideas that get repeated, but don’t just produce the same contest each time i.e. they still have their own unique theme. For this, AATW, Genre, Oldies all guaranteed a unique theme. So future recurring spinoffs should have the same idea of recurring but with a special new theme each time, imo.

Agreed. I think we've more or less exhausted all the decades for Oldies by this point, so technically we would be producing the same contest if that were to become a recurring spinoff again. However, I would be in favour of cycling through them all again. Same goes for Genres.

theditz83

Veteran
Personally I don't think the issue is with hosting duties so much as just the general apathy for spin-offs from the NSC community. I hope that we can see a time when people will regain their interest in spin-offs but I fear that we'll never regain the glory days again due to lack of desire/time from the NSC roster members. It was a trial trying to get interest for the last Congrats for example, and I know Sean has struggled with the registration for his current side contest as well :(

Veronika

NSC Mod
Staff member
Okay, I know that now isn't the best time for you to think about spinoffs (esc season, etc...), but still the question about the recurring spinoffs needs to be solved in order to create the ultimate scheme for spinoffs schedule.
So, to make everything easier for you, I decided to make quite a simple poll, where you need to just vote and post something optionally.
I'll invite everyone once again.

@Serena @Schlagerman1 @Territrius @Steffan @Mrvn @SaladBreak @Morty @pjelacki @nofuxCZ @Gera11
@daniels1000 @whiteshoes @renzo @Yoni @spiluke @Sean @doctormalisimo @Ewigkeit @pyryniemi @Denisaa
@berlyda @Lenalite @azilio99 @Romeo @Mozz @Chickflopia @MARCOMEN @LesterMalvo @Veliky @Kimrt
@EurovisionSmile @Nicholas123 @Lonter @ClassifiedCat @Mattan @theditz83 @ferret @sigi @Leaf @CypriotGirl
@Splash @94ayd @Charly @Eulaliya @FabiESC @dogmeat @esc87fan @Karhu @AshleyWright
@Koori @Rmetr0 @anaraqueen @My Star @Stargazer @VasilijeM @Alevender @Fearnavigatr @kopachka @as78 @takeru @zechhh

@Milos-BC @PopGeek @theCONWEL @marc @Edweis @tuorem @Marlfox

So, please vote!

What to do with recurring spinoffs?

1) leave everything as it officially is (keep AATW, Oldies and ESC NF as recurring spinoffs, they will happen after every 3 (may be discussed, if needed) regular spinoffs.
2) keep recurring spinoffs, but pick different themes (say which ones you want, optionally)
3) abolish recurring spinoffs (keep AATW, Oldies and ESC NF as regular ones)

And of course, keep suggesting themes for the next spinoff!
I'll make a poll with them after this poll is closed (probably in a week time or so, I'll let you know).

Last edited:

dogmeat

I'm not sure if I understand the poll options. Does #1 mean keeping things as they were or introducing your proposition? Does #3 mean abolishing certain spinoffs altogether or just having them as normal (that is, them happening if they get voted through)?

Veronika

NSC Mod
Staff member
I'm not sure if I understand the poll options. Does #1 mean keeping things as they were or introducing your proposition? Does #3 mean abolishing certain spinoffs altogether or just having them as normal (that is, them happening if they get voted through)?

Yes, these 3 spinoffs are officially recurring, so they will be hosted without connection to polls, after every 3 regular spinoffs, for example, but the frequency will be discussed, if this option wins.
And the last option means that these 3 spinoff themes will be chosen through a regular scheme (suggestions/polls) like all the others.

Last edited:

theditz83

Veteran
Voted finally to keep them as they are currently, but not overly bothered either way.

The important thing now is that we all group together as a community and put on the biggest and BEST NSC ESC spin-off ever! The chosen artist and songs from the 2020 season deserve a proper contest, and the NSC community can do that!

I'm talking semis (like a normal NSC contest) with PQs (Big 5 plus winner of 2019) based on the previous year's spin-off results. Also, split jury-televoting using the Waiting List and inviting back previous NSC nations (Juki xrose) to get the full effect.

We'd need to iron out rules such as whether we go with a more level playing field in terms of using studio versions of songs are going with the "official video" as submitted by the home broadcaster (even if that was the live NF performance).

Are you guys up for it? If a mod can tag the community in this thread, that would be awesome since I know it won't work for me. Let's all come together for this - might help reinvigorate the community's hunger for spin-offs overall again xup

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
The important thing now is that we all group together as a community and put on the biggest and BEST NSC ESC spin-off ever! The chosen artist and songs from the 2020 season deserve a proper contest, and the NSC community can do that!

I'm talking semis (like a normal NSC contest) with PQs (Big 5 plus winner of 2019) based on the previous year's spin-off results. Also, split jury-televoting using the Waiting List and inviting back previous NSC nations (Juki xrose) to get the full effect.

We'd need to iron out rules such as whether we go with a more level playing field in terms of using studio versions of songs are going with the "official video" as submitted by the home broadcaster (even if that was the live NF performance).

Are you guys up for it? If a mod can tag the community in this thread, that would be awesome since I know it won't work for me. Let's all come together for this - might help reinvigorate the community's hunger for spin-offs overall again xup

Yes, I agree, I wrote something about this in the Chat Box yesterday. I don't think it's necessary to mass-mention the entire community at this point -- we still have a couple of months to go -- but when the time comes, we should certainly do everything we can to get all 41 countries represented by an NSC nation.

Not sure how the split jury/televoting would work. Waiting List nations are allowed to participate in NSC ESC (and should be encouraged to do so, in order to fill all 41 slots). Maybe if we fill all 41 slots and other people still want to participate, then they can play the role of the jury, i.e. just vote, without representing a country.

Also, I haven't taken part in NSC ESC in a while, but I believe we already have rules regarding the videos. As far as I know, the official videos must be used.

Top Bottom