Contact us

NSC Spinoffs: Information | Spinoff#177 | VOTE!

Veronika

NSC Mod
Staff member
eyCciy6.png

CURRENT SPINOFF (#177)
TBA

COMPETING THEMES (177)

1. All Around The World: a real-world country is chosen by the host. All artists competing in this event must be from the chosen country. In the case of groups, the majority of people in the group must be from the country. The song can be in any language.

2. AATW type of Spinoff but with NSC nations

3. AI Cover Spinoff

4. Covers & Remixes 5
: everyone has to send cover or remixed version of a song previously entered in the main contest, including the original versions of songs whose covers or remixes were entered in NSC.

5. Major/Minor: songs changed from major into minor key (and vice versa)

6. NSC ESC Classic: any entry from any year allowed

7. NSC NF

8. Oldies
: tba, the host can decide the timeframe

HISTORY OF SPINOFFS SO FAR
PART 1
PART 2

SPINOFF CONTESTS WIKI
CLICK

Last edited:

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
I assume if the video play time is longer than 2:30 but the actual music itself plays for less than 2:30, then that would be okay?
If the extra time is credits or silence, yeah, I'll allow it. :) But to avoid having a 5 minute intro to a 1 minute song, I'll count intros as entry time.

2:30 seems barely below average, I imagined it more like 1:30
I imagined someone would pick up hosting a lot earlier than this. I figured something needed to be done here, and I figured the rules of a similar spinoff in 2013 would work in 2021 as well.

2 min or shorter is short and fair. 2,5 is just a bit shorter than Eurovision songs.
True, but ESC songs are pretty short too. :p

Sean

Admin
Staff member
I'd also be happy to be a potential VG2 host but I don't think I could hold a candle to the standards Jochen set xrose

Fearnavigatr

I mean, I'm fairly sure you can beat me at efficiency.

For the record, if it came down to it I wouldn't mind throwing my hat in the ring at a new chance to do the theme justice (this time without Duke Nukem Forever-ing it). Naturally though, more people should get the chance, so I'm not claiming priority.

Last edited:

Veronika

NSC Mod
Staff member
Yeah I think VG2 would be ok, since we don't have enough suggestions this time and I suppose we don't want to wait anymore. :)
Hopefully we have someone willing to host it as for now.

Fearnavigatr

Whoever hosts, I'll take the opportunity to mention what the rules were last time, since the old confirmation thread is lost to time. It's of course completely up to the new host if they want to keep these or adjust them as they see fit, but just in case they need this for reference:

*The games are the "artists", and only one song may be entered per game. The de facto composer/artist behind the song may be entered by multiple nations, as long as the songs are from different games.

*OST from actual video games only. No covers/arrangements/fan remixes, unless the alternative version is itself from a game OST.

*No licensed songs that were previously commercially released in non-game contexts (songs in FIFA or Rock Band soundtracks for example).

Fearnavigatr

I'm only not sure about allowing an artist to represent multiple nations, it's unlike in any other spinoff.
The reasoning behind that was that the associated "face" of a VG song is often the game itself moreso than the person behind it, and several composers have worked on such a wide variety of series for different companies that an average person wouldn't even make the connection. And it would also severely narrow the available games when a musician is particularly prolific. For example, if someone sends a song by Yoko Shimomura from the Mario & Luigi series, having that block whoever wants to send one of her works from Kingdom Hearts might be a bit overly limiting, at least for a themed spinoff.

There's also commonly multiple people who worked on the same soundtrack and not always easy methods to discern who exactly wrote which song, especially in older games that didn't do credits or documentation properly. Just universally doing "the games as artists" and not even crediting the musicians in the spinoff felt like the cleanest approach.

Of course, on the other hand, modern games can be very different, and I agree it would be weird if for example an iconic "big name musician" who was contracted to perform the main theme for a game and also returned for its sequel got to enter twice at the same time. I think some reasonable middle-ground approach is the best option (maybe differentiate between big-name artists and video game-specialized musicians, or only keep limits within the same franchise?), but you decide what you think is best!

For the record, as far as I'm aware we had one example of a composer being in twice in the first VG spinoff. David Wise wrote both Fervorosia and Pangora's entries.

Last edited:

Veronika

NSC Mod
Staff member
Okay, we have 7 themes so far, I guess that is enough for a poll. But it would be nice to have some more suggestions.
I'm planning to start a poll tonight, so keep suggesting! xheya

Top Bottom