Contact us

NSC Spinoffs: Information | Spinoff#177 | VOTE!

Veronika

NSC Mod
Staff member
eyCciy6.png

CURRENT SPINOFF (#177)
TBA

COMPETING THEMES (177)

1. All Around The World: a real-world country is chosen by the host. All artists competing in this event must be from the chosen country. In the case of groups, the majority of people in the group must be from the country. The song can be in any language.

2. AATW type of Spinoff but with NSC nations

3. AI Cover Spinoff

4. Covers & Remixes 5
: everyone has to send cover or remixed version of a song previously entered in the main contest, including the original versions of songs whose covers or remixes were entered in NSC.

5. Major/Minor: songs changed from major into minor key (and vice versa)

6. NSC ESC Classic: any entry from any year allowed

7. NSC NF

8. Oldies
: tba, the host can decide the timeframe

HISTORY OF SPINOFFS SO FAR
PART 1
PART 2

SPINOFF CONTESTS WIKI
CLICK

Last edited:

ferret

Can WL members participate?
Of course! :)

Let me remind you that the name of the country will need to be sent in a personal message after 10 minutes (20.00 cest)!

theditz83

Veteran
Speaking of the ESC Karaoke spinoff I'd love to see it happening this year (iirc in previous years it opened simultaneously with the ESC NSC one) xcheer
Did it? I thought it took place at a separate time? Just checked back there and you're correct - the karaoke spin-off thread was opened the day after the regular NSC ESC one and the shows were also within a couple of days of each other. My memory isn't what it used to be xstars

I guess we are holding NSC ESC a bit earlier than before so there's still plenty of time, but if enough people want to get the show on the road with the Karaoke edition for 2020/21 then I'm happy to open the registration today.

theditz83

Veteran
As a side note, was it maybe customary to wait until the official release of the ESC album and the "official" karaoke versions before holding this contest? I'm certain there are plenty of manipulated instrumental/karaoke versions of the 2021 songs already available online with the vocals muted (some more clean than others) but I somehow remember in the past always having easier access to the official karaoke instrumental to use for recordings.

It seems that the release of the official album this year is Friday 23rd April, with streaming platforms probably getting it slightly earlier - that would give us just over 4 weeks in total before the contest itself for confirmations/recording and the show/voting. Of course, we could always open registration and have a much longer confirmation period, but I'm not sure what good that would do if the song someone was hoping to cover didn't have a decent instrumental available for another couple of weeks.

takeru

I would also add my two cents (which I think I’ve said before, maybe a few years back) that in my opinion, the karaoke spinoff would be nice to have just *after* ESC itself.
It makes for a nice PED cure (pedicure?) and you might get more participation from people who only get familiar with the songs later/at the contest itself (like moi). And also it gives a little breather in between the ESC spin-offs (we could probably even fit in something totally different in between if we wanted). Just my opinion though!

theditz83

Veteran
That's a nice idea to help cope with that PED for sure. Like I said, I'm good to go whenever (have the design all set) so happy to go with the majority and what would give us the best show all-round xup

@Veronika maybe a quick poll to gather a majority vote on whether everyone would prefer ESC 2020/21 Karaoke pre or post Rotterdam?

If we are having something else between NSC ESC and the Karaoke spin-off, I'd like to suggest:

NSC Tribute - enter a song that is a tribute to the types of song that another NSC/WLSC nation is/was known for. Bonus guessing game round adding additional points to your final score if you correctly guess which nation each user is paying tribute to. Can be current or past NSC nations, but the name of the nation that you are paying tribute to will not be revealed until after the contest (using a non-competing user as the confirmation source, who will withhold the name of the attributed nation from the host until after the voting DDL).

NSC World Tour - send a song with the name of a city, country, region or famous landmark from around the world in the title (or as a central theme in the lyrics). Once a place is claimed, no other cities, regions or landmarks in the same country can be used.

apasionata

Super Moderator
Staff member
NSC Tribute - enter a song that is a tribute to the types of song that another NSC/WLSC nation is/was known for. Bonus guessing game round adding additional points to your final score if you correctly guess which nation each user is paying tribute to. Can be current or past NSC nations, but the name of the nation that you are paying tribute to will not be revealed until after the contest (using a non-competing user as the confirmation source, who will withhold the name of the attributed nation from the host until after the voting DDL).
Marvellous !! Kinda did the same with AATW Caribbean entry of mine ("Mama Dance").. @Jukica I miss you so so much xcry

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
NSC World Tour - send a song with the name of a city, country, region or famous landmark from around the world in the title (or as a central theme in the lyrics). Once a place is claimed, no other cities, regions or landmarks in the same country can be used.
I like this idea, but only being able to use one spot in a country seem a bit strict, and could hurt the number of participants in the spinoff... xthink

dogmeat

Sounds kinda like the copycats idea (which should totally happen and I suggest we give it another shot)

theditz83

Veteran
Sounds kinda like the copycats idea (which should totally happen and I suggest we give it another shot)
Yeah I modified it from that tbh, but simplified it to avoid issues surrounding creating accounts and other operational issues that I think people were concerned about. This way, all you'd need is a non-competing nation to collect the entries and I'm sure we could find someone from the NSC/WL nations that could help with that ;)

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
It would encourage people to perhaps look further afield though, giving us a more varied round the world trip ;)
Given the variety of the members in NSC, I don't think that's going to be a problem tbh. ;)

Anyway, I'd probably still be in, on my list of potentials there's already an American city, a Brazilian state and a Danish city. :D I also had a European country, but that's going into NSC 192. ;)

dogmeat

Yeah I modified it from that tbh, but simplified it to avoid issues surrounding creating accounts and other operational issues that I think people were concerned about. This way, all you'd need is a non-competing nation to collect the entries and I'm sure we could find someone from the NSC/WL nations that could help with that ;)
I could vote for it if the tribute countries were selected by randomizing spinoff participants. It feels most fair to participants and would force variety. I mean, having every pot1 nation send a Zaprya tribute doesn't sound appealing to me.

theditz83

Veteran
I could vote for it if the tribute countries were selected by randomizing spinoff participants. It feels most fair to participants and would force variety. I mean, having every pot1 nation send a Zaprya tribute doesn't sound appealing to me.
I didn't even think that would happen tbh. I think the general idea would that it is encouraged to think outside of your own usual taste. Otherwise people will just be thinking "have you sent a tribute to yourself yourself??" :lol:

Lenalite

I want to pitch an NSC Religious and Spiritual Songs Spinoff where the players would enter songs that explore religious and/or spiritual themes and concepts. One would not necessarily need to send a hymn or Christian pop, but also what they personally find spiritually inspiring - as long as it contains some sort of religious/spiritual imagery, that is. I know that sounds a bit ambiguous but yeah.

esc87fan

I've already got a recording of a 2020 song done and to my great surprise it turned out really well. I can't wait to hear everyone else this year

Top Bottom