Contact us

NSC 181 in Ögonblick, Sundfør | Elimination Round #2 | Deadline: May 18th, 23:59 CEST

Veronika

NSC Mod
Staff member
UPD: I just had a conversation with Koori, he can't go to the forum right now, as he's not very well, but he told me that Ujedinjeni Gvozd can change its entry, so @kopachka please do it asap

Last edited:

dogmeat

A question was raised during the LL that Kamande sounds like Rumia 61:

Personally I believe this can be covered by the recent rule change regarding alternate versions. Others' opinions?

Veronika

NSC Mod
Staff member

[clickable]

Here's the new ::uje entry! pls make sure that you listened to it before voting!
Everything is replaced in the show as well.
Deadline is extended until May 18th (23:59 cest)​

pyryniemi

I don't think the structure is that different? I think this requires a closer analysis, I don't want it to just "slip through" just because it wasn't discovered earlier incase it's too similar.

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
Personally I believe this can be covered by the recent rule change regarding alternate versions. Others' opinions?

I agree too. They appear to be based on the same traditional folk song, but I don't see much in common other than that same basic repeating melody. You could possibly even argue that this would be allowed pre-rule change as a case of sampling. But the rule change removes all doubt for me

dogmeat

I agree too. They appear to be based on the same traditional folk song, but I don't see much in common other than that same basic repeating melody. You could possibly even argue that this would be allowed pre-rule change as a case of sampling. But the rule change removes all doubt for me
The problem is that this repeating melody is most of the song.

U Karchme repeats this motif (let's call it "the hook" from now on) throughout the song, switching between vocals and bagpipes as the lead. Let's compare it to Danza Ex Machina.

(0:00-0:15) Danza Ex Machina starts with a short intro with the hook faintly audible..
(0:15-0:45) then it's the hook repeated twice with vocals.
(0:45-1:04) Instrumental with some sort of synthesizer in place of bagpipes. This part starts same as the hook, but then there's some noticeable variation in the melody.
(1:04-1:19) Vocals. The hook, but slight variation at the end.
(1:19-1:34) Instrumental. The hook.
(1:34-2:10) Vocal part that's completely different to anything in U Karchme.
(2:10-2:26) Vocal. The hook, but again with the slight modification at the end.
(2:26-3:01) Instrumental. The hook twice.

As for the rhythmic section. Both songs are in the same tempo (about 65 bpm) and signature (4/4).
I analyzed the rhythm pattern in correspondive parts - 1:19 in Danza Ex Machina and 1:28 in U Karchme.
OckE09X.png

Thank YT for the playback speed option xwall
It's ofc different in other fragments, but I already took way too much time extracting just this one. Probably someone with a more trained ear could point out mistakes in the notation above.

Do whatever you want with this. My opinion is that it would make the song invalid under the old rule, because the main motif is identical with minor variations and repeating throughout most of both songs. It's valid under new rule thanks to those minor variations, the original 1:34-2:10 fragment and the beat being different - despite the same tempo and signature.

here's your analysis @pyryniemi
I guess I've got too much free time lately.

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
Love the in-depth analysis. I agree with your conclusion

Veronika

NSC Mod
Staff member
Considering the song, yes, absolutely.

Trying to figure out how a giraffe is the animal of ::bal tho. It does sort of resemble the shape of the palm trees in my flag, maybe that's why?

Beautiful banners tho. :)

Omg, because of all that drama I forgot to reply. :lol:

Well, your nation seems too friendly to me to give it a bat. Jemmuise looks more shady/mysterious imo (no offence).
And yeah, that palm trees in your flag and overall atmosphere of your nation gave me that slight glimpse of a giraffe as well.
I made everything just based on my associations with the nations, no connection to the songs! And most of the banners were made beforehand.
But ofc it turned out to be kinda symbolic that yours and Jemmuise banners are situated next to each other in that particular order.
First bat, then corona virus. xcrazy

Last edited:

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
Omg, because of all that drama I forgot to reply. :lol:

Well, your nation seems too friendly to me to give it a bat. Jemmuise looks more shady/mysterious imo (no offence).
And yeah, that palm trees in your flag and overall atmosphere of your nation gave me that slight glimpse of a giraffe as well.
I made everything just based on my associations with the nations, no connection to the songs! And most of the banners were made beforehand.
But ofc it turned out to be kinda symbolic that yours and Jemmuise banners are situated next to each other in that particular order.
First bat, then corona virus. xcrazy
I'm one of the few who sends black/death metal occasionally, and yet we are considered too friendly. Excellent, the ::bal propaganda machine is working. :D

It makes sense tho, the dark paths of the island are generally off limits for tourists, and we want to be seen as more of a tropical paradise than a gateway to hell. But that running order is pretty awesome tbh. :D

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I'm intrigued with my cat also. I just assumed it was because I like cats. :lol:

Veronika

NSC Mod
Staff member
Omg :lol:
These are just my associations, sometimes a bit difficult to explain, but I'll try!

Now I too am dying to know what inspired that Moose for ::rum xcoffee @Veronika

It was actually the first animal which came to my mind, when I started creating your banner. Somehow that branch-shaped pattern in your flag made me think about that elk/moose as well.
And overall I tried to pick large and mighty animals for the pot 6 nations.

I'm intrigued with my cat also. I just assumed it was because I like cats. :lol:

:mrgreen:

Top Bottom