6 3.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Loindici

Veteran
The Melodi Grand Prix is one of the most well-put song festivals we have here. I only wish they could keep up with the quality they always serve.

rasmuslights

Veteran
The Melodi Grand Prix is one of the most well-put song festivals we have here. I only wish they could keep up with the quality they always serve.

I disagree. Most of the artists are either from talent shows, no-names, has-beens or only listened to by boomers (Ulrikke, Keiino).

Most songs are made in song-writing camps and there's nothing bad about it but unfortunately, they all sound made for eurovision.

For me quality nfs are definitely; FdC, Sanremo, UMK, Vidbir, the baltic nfs are also good considering the population of baltic countries and their music industry. I'd also add the Czech national final since it has a lot of authentic, good songs that are not made specifically for the eurovision stage. Beovizija, Songvakeppnin and Benidorm also always have some gems even though they aren't that good as a whole.

All other countries should either scratch their nfs and go internal or reinvent them.

Loindici

Veteran
I disagree. Most of the artists are either from talent shows, no-names, has-beens or only listened to by boomers (Ulrikke, Keiino).

Most songs are made in song-writing camps and there's nothing bad about it but unfortunately, they all sound made for eurovision.

For me quality nfs are definitely; FdC, Sanremo, UMK, Vidbir, the baltic nfs are also good considering the population of baltic countries and their music industry. I'd also add the Czech national final since it has a lot of authentic, good songs that are not made specifically for the eurovision stage. Beovizija, Songvakeppnin and Benidorm also always have some gems even though they aren't that good as a whole.

All other countries should either scratch their nfs and go internal or reinvent them.

I forgot to mention I was referring mostly to the show's quality.

Norway is the next bigger Scandi music exporter after Sweden, hence songwriting camps are sort of 'cultural' for them. On the other hand, no-names or talent show buds are pretty often in other Eurovision selections as well, hence I don't see why it's suddenly a problem when it's on Norway.

When it comes to song's authenticity, I feel nothing beats FdC and San Remo even until now.

SAYAY

I liked it, still listening to that
Same actually. I can't say Monument was a bad song, because it is really not. But for me personally it was all a bit too much and overkill, and I kinda understand why since I think Monument was more written with thought of the juries, while SITS which I still adore to this very day maybe had a more appeal to the public as it was easier to remember and to sing along too. So that's probably why I ended up voting for Fallen Angel in the last duel, simply because for me it was easier to remember and I found myself really liking it in general. 2021 was difficult for me and Fallen Angel was my comfort song I guess we can say xrose. I do wish he had not changed to English though.

I do feel like KEIINO could show up for 2024 (I am not sure why but its a feeling). And I do love them all, but I am also starting to get a bit tired. Same goes for Ulrikke, but I was never really a fan of either Attention or Honestly. But she has a big, powerful voice and there is no denying her talent. I also dont see the problem with the "no names" or singing competition people joining in. Alexandra from Keiino and Ulrikke both respectively competed in norwegian Idol in 2016 and 2013, so its not like they were very profiled names before MGP ;)

When it comes to the songwriting camps - I do think they could be a good idea as it is a great way of artists and songwriters and producers to come together and work, and in a way it has given results. Before most of the songs that came from MGP did not necessarily reach charts in Norway, but that has actually changed. But I can agree that some songs seems to be written especially for Eurovision by a particular recipe, which I think in some cases can actually backfire. But there is pros and cons with everything. xcheer

rasmuslights

Veteran
Same actually. I can't say Monument was a bad song, because it is really not. But for me personally it was all a bit too much and overkill, and I kinda understand why since I think Monument was more written with thought of the juries, while SITS which I still adore to this very day maybe had a more appeal to the public as it was easier to remember and to sing along too. So that's probably why I ended up voting for Fallen Angel in the last duel, simply because for me it was easier to remember and I found myself really liking it in general. 2021 was difficult for me and Fallen Angel was my comfort song I guess we can say xrose. I do wish he had not changed to English though.

I do feel like KEIINO could show up for 2024 (I am not sure why but its a feeling). And I do love them all, but I am also starting to get a bit tired. Same goes for Ulrikke, but I was never really a fan of either Attention or Honestly. But she has a big, powerful voice and there is no denying her talent. I also dont see the problem with the "no names" or singing competition people joining in. Alexandra from Keiino and Ulrikke both respectively competed in norwegian Idol in 2016 and 2013, so its not like they were very profiled names before MGP ;)

When it comes to the songwriting camps - I do think they could be a good idea as it is a great way of artists and songwriters and producers to come together and work, and in a way it has given results. Before most of the songs that came from MGP did not necessarily reach charts in Norway, but that has actually changed. But I can agree that some songs seems to be written especially for Eurovision by a particular recipe, which I think in some cases can actually backfire. But there is pros and cons with everything. xcheer

I don't think it's a problem that no-names are competing. The problem is that 80 % of the artists are no-names, whose songs were written in songwriting camps. That's when it becomes a problem.

In the final this year, only Ulrikke and Atle had an actual career in Noway and even they are not popular among the younger audiences.

I do not expect Sigrid or Astrid S to enter, but at least give us Ina Wroldsen, Skaar, Ruben, Highasakite, Emilie Hollow, heck even Marcus and Martinus would be somewhat nice.

SAYAY

I don't think it's a problem that no-names are competing. The problem is that 80 % of the artists are no-names, whose songs were written in songwriting camps. That's when it becomes a problem.

In the final this year, only Ulrikke and Atle had an actual career in Noway and even they are not popular among the younger audiences.

I do not expect Sigrid or Astrid S to enter, but at least give us Ina Wroldsen, Skaar, Ruben, Highasakite, Emilie Hollow, heck even Marcus and Martinus would be somewhat nice.
I actually think NRK did reach out to Marcus and Martinius in the past and have asked them if they are intrested. But I think it is very unlikely that we will see them, at least currently. They have a swedish management/label apparently and have expressed they wish to focus on the Swedish market.

I submitted Emilie Hollow as a suggestion to NRK along with a singer that competed in Sami Grand Prix. She did help TIX out with the english version of Fallen Angel so maybe she could enter if she feels she has the right song. I could see Ruben entering. But I am not sure about how likely Highasakite or Ina Wroldsen is. I could see the latter join in as songwriter (I think she actually wrote Bombo in 2013?) but not Highasakite.

Last edited:

rasmuslights

Veteran
I actually think NRK did reach out to Marcus and Martinius in the past and have asked them if they are intrested. But I think it is very unlikely that we will see them, at least currently. They have a swedish management/label apparently and have expressed they wish to focus on the Swedish market.

I submitted Emilie Hollow as a suggestion to NRK along with a singer that competed in Sami Grand Prix. She did help TIX out with the english version of Fallen Angel so maybe she could enter if she feels she has the right song. I could see Ruben entering. But I am not sure about how likely Highasakite or Ina Wroldsen is. I could see the latter join in as songwriter (I think she actually wrote Bombo in 2013?) but not Highasakite.

And Emelie also wrote Tiril's entry I think.

I just hope we'll see one of them participating in 2024.

VikingTiger

I really dont mind having new artists competing in the MGP. I actually think that is one of the goals of NRK; to promote new artists. And even though many of the singers come from talent shows (some many years ago, some more recent) I dont see the problem. Many of the song writers are very experienced people.
What we can see when putting big names in the MGP is that they may get lots of votes just because being famous. TIX is an obvious example.

What I would like to see next year is a less gimmicky song. I actually think Alessandra would have gotten more points from the juries if she did not go for the "GoT themed" show. But on the other hand, I guess the same staging earned her more televotes...

Sparky

Keiino since then write songs more in Monument style, and granted they aren't thinking about juries with them. In many ways SitS is an outlier in their expanding catalog. Not necessarily in it's structure or style, but vibes. Most Keiino songs have some sort of philosophical tone, sometimes even on the depressive side to the level they wouldn't be out of place at a funeral (Monument for example or some of their recent outings like Alt Du Kan Se or Nights of Thunder), SitS was just a happy song written for a festival, similarly to Queen of the Kings except with better writing. It felt out of place in their Okta album in every aspect.

SAYAY

Keiino since then write songs more in Monument style, and granted they aren't thinking about juries with them. In many ways SitS is an outlier in their expanding catalog. Not necessarily in it's structure or style, but vibes. Most Keiino songs have some sort of philosophical tone, sometimes even on the depressive side to the level they wouldn't be out of place at a funeral (Monument for example or some of their recent outings like Alt Du Kan Se or Nights of Thunder), SitS was just a happy song written for a festival, similarly to Queen of the Kings except with better writing. It felt out of place in their Okta album in every aspect.
This is a semi sidetrack but they have actually apparently been in studio with Dino Medhanhodzic (who is behind Bulletproof by Dotter among other things) quite recently, sooo maybe it means MGP is happening? It could of course just be a "normal" songwiriting session for a future single or something, but ya never know xcheer

Sparky

This is a semi sidetrack but they have actually apparently been in studio with Dino Medhanhodzic (who is behind Bulletproof by Dotter among other things) quite recently, sooo maybe it means MGP is happening? It could of course just be a "normal" songwiriting session for a future single or something, but ya never know xcheer
At this point I would be more pleased with an international and acclaimed carreer than another ESC entry.

SAYAY

At this point I would be more pleased with an international and acclaimed carreer than another ESC entry.
Its not something you necessarily get overnight though (unless you are really lucky ). Its a though industry and takes time and many artists dont achieve it no matter how hard they work.

Top Bottom