25 11.5%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

mauve

Veteran
"Freya" isn't as powerful as I had hoped. But it is still miles above "Honestly". For me it is still "Queen of Kings".

empo21

Veteran
Seems more even field this time. Aside from Freya (not my fave of the semi, but the safest qualifier), I can see all the other songs somehow qualify or somehow fail to qualify.

With that being said, contrary to comments I've seen, Elaine Thorp is more on the likely NQs for me.

Tiril's song is what I imagined Ulrikke would return with. Best ballad of this MGP and I wouldn't mind if it qualifies.

My top 3:
1. Triumph
2. Break It
3. Freya

simori95

This is the Semifinal of the pulled brakes. None of these Songs would have qualified for me(!) in the second heat.

Freya is still the best and still a very enjoyable Song, just the Fire from the snippet would have had to be there from the start. Akuvi and Tiril are also good but lack something, and while Masterpiece is intriguing, there is also something that didn’t pay off for me.

shameless

Freya is the epitome of a generic, 2nd rate Melodifestivalen-entrance. The fact that people hype it says a lot about this selection.
I think Ulrikke has this in the bag, even though the song is not all that, her performance upgrades it, she's there to win it.

lasse braun

freyamania is on but why?
the refrain from "triumph" sounds well known from some former US popstuff - none of these 7 songs are my cup of tea but i like "break it" a little bit,maybe more after live on stage?
xqueenbitch

Kitakaze

Freya is the epitome of a generic, 2nd rate Melodifestivalen-entrance. The fact that people hype it says a lot about this selection.
I think Ulrikke has this in the bag, even though the song is not all that, her performance upgrades it, she's there to win it.
You say hype when to me it’s simply appeal. I don’t disagree about Ulrikke but much like KEiiNO, Rasmussen, etc. there’s simply an audience for Nordic ethno-pop songs and they have an excellent track record at Eurovision when they get selected.

Not wanting to dance anymore, but I must dance
giphy.gif

Freya performed by Maria Celin
Love Again performed by Skrellex
Triumph performed by Akuvi

Someday performed by Stig van Eijk
Break It performed by Tiril Breisland

Not Meant To Be performed by Eline Thorp
Masterpiece performed by Atle Petersen

I bims

Veteran
"Freya" is what "Hammer of Thor" desperatly tried to be but failed miserably. (I loathe that song).
It's simple but not to stupid simple. You just have a good time listening to it.

Freya and Trimph are definetly my favourites here! I don't really care about the rest tbh.
Let's hope they deliver live.

Will be interesting to see who the overall winner will be. "Honestly" is pretty weak unfortunetly (still enjoy it more than I thought but it's just so done before and quite dated), I really don't know if it will pull through just because it's Ulrikke. "Queen of Kings" could do it but depending on the target audience and who goes to the final, the vote could split between it, Freya and Triumph.

If Honestly wins, Norway will have a hard time in May.

DirtyFalcon

A Norwegian friend told me on a Facebook group that Ulrikke was very popular in Norway, at least much more than Alessandra and Maria who are pretty unknown compared to her. It surprised me a little bit since both Alessandra and Maria were also in TV shows. I thought Ulrikke was only popular in the Eurovision fandom since her victory back in 2020. Any norwegian people here or foreigner living in Norway to confirm me this ? Because it can be a very important detail when it comes to the voting and it might help her close the gap between her and maybe (in my opinion) a stronger song like Freya (if it goes to the final but no doubt about that).

Could you also see sympathy votes in both juries and televote in that case ? Or it's more like a legend ?

rasmuslights

Veteran
I like Honestly. But as said, it's quite dated and heard a 100x times before (most of the songs in Norway are like that anyway, almost none seem "fresh"). Would it qualify in May? Probably because it's Norway if it was sent by idk Croatia i don't think so (and I'm usually against such arguments).

She'll probably win tho.

Looren

Veteran
There we go

1. Stig Van Eijk - Someday (don't ask me why :lol:)

2. Tiriil - Break It
3. Atle Pettersen - Masterpiece

4. Maria Celin - Freya

5. Eline Thorp - Not Meant To Be
6. Akuvi - Triumph
7. Skrellex - Love Again

Aaaaaand my favourite overall is...

Alessandra Mele - Queen Of Kings

Mainshow

Veteran
Nowadays Melodifestivalen can´t even come close to "Freya" - it might be generic based on "older Nordic ESC" standards but it would clearly stand out in May and sounds completely different to anything "current" right now.

Clearly my #1 in this NF so far (tied with Elsie - I just watched her performance and I loved the classy goth look they´ve been aiming for)

EscGeek

Veteran
I like:

1-Skrellex
2-Akuvi
3Tiril
4-Eline Thorp
5-Stig van Eijk

Add to that 5 songs i liked from heat 2 and 3 more from heat 1.

That's 13 songs that all get my seal of approval xfaint

:no:, you're killing me, i still don't know who to pick as my absolute winner :eek:

0scar

Freya gets on my nerves tbh, Ulrikke's song is nothing new but performed really well but definitely not an Eurovision winner, Love You In A Dream is not for me (staging is interesting but too much), Queen Of Kings is a lot and I'm not really sure how I feel about it

I couldn't be bothered to listen to the other songs

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Welcome to MGP 2023, the first NF in history where all the songs have been composed by neural networks.

hunty73

Ulrikke should win easily.The song is designed for ESC not MGP or radio.You can even see where they have the gaps for the camera sweeps across the crowd,the long shots,the close in,even the golden curtain etc.I suspect they will have to improve some of it though.Holograms etc would work well for ESC,as long as they avoid the violins like at MGP,that doesnt work at all.Its similar and likely needs the sort of floor LED etc of A Million Voices.

Top Bottom