5 2.3%

25 11.5%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

jatojo

Maria Celin did well with the high notes. She had more problems with the lower ones, but it is a song that is hard to sing perfectly. All in all, a big disappointment to see her lose out to more primitive songs. They are so 00's and would be borderline qualifiers in Liverpool if we're being very optimistic.

Crazy how semifinal 3 ended up as the weakest of the three.

empo21

Veteran
In Maria Celin's case it was purely staging and stage presence that did her dirty. Eline wasn't vocally perfect, but she sold the song.

Maria looked bored, was styled wrong and was staged wrong. Atle following her with a polished performance was the nail.

jatojo

Atle following her with a polished performance was the nail.
My problem with his song is that I forget how the melody goes as soon as the song has ended.

I'm really mystified about the Norwegian viewers.

Kitakaze

Subwoolfer was my dead last last year you wont find me arguing that Norway should have sent something else however the fandom get overly attached to super generic cliche ridden songs especially in Scandinavian selections and then get upset when the obvious happens and they dont qualify
I think part of it is because those sort of mythological-inspired songs lend themselves to more epic and memorable staging and because so many of us just love to see culture or tradition being represented on stage, whether it happens to be in Eastern Europe or Scandinavia. I feel like we are all going to get attached to any song we really like anyway, regardless.

MopManMoss

Veteran
I think part of it is because those sort of mythological-inspired songs lend themselves to more epic and memorable staging and because so many of us just love to see culture or tradition being represented on stage, whether it happens to be in Eastern Europe or Scandinavia. I feel like we are all going to get attached to any song we really like anyway, regardless.
Its not the mythological part I have an issue with I have a book on Ratatoskr and Yggdrasil at home, promoting and maintaining your culture is very important what I am saying is that many in the fandom overlook mediocrity because there is an ethnic element

Realest

Ulrikke - Honestly 9.0/10
Alessandra Mele - Queen of Kings 8.3/10
Atle Pettersen - Masterpiece 6.7/10
Jone - Ekko inni meg 6.1/10
Elsie Bay - Love You in a Dream 5.3/10
Umami Tsunami - Geronimo 4.5/10
Eline Thorp - Not Meant to Be 4.3/10
Swing'it - Prohibition 2.2/10
Skrellex - Love Again 1.7/10

simori95

Its not the mythological part I have an issue with I have a book on Ratatoskr and Yggdrasil at home, promoting and maintaining your culture is very important what I am saying is that many in the fandom overlook mediocrity because there is an ethnic element
I mean I guess I am one of those you’re talking about. I don’t give a flying *** about mythical Elements, but there Are certain Elements like flutes that I Happen to be a sucker for. If they’re used in mythology or Ethnic sense , great. If they’re used just for the sake of it, Great.

Kitakaze

It’s all subjective as to what’s mediocre and what isn’t though, it all becomes apparent with the performance anyway.

ArmpitOfEurope

Freya was Yanna Terzi - Oneiro mou level of disastrous performance. Too boring and static for this song.
The tree on fire was nice but it desperately needed some Ruslana-like dancers.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
It wasn't even that bad? I'm not sure why people hopped on the Freya hate train on this forum so much. People are allowed to enjoy Nordic ethnic elements in songs and frankly Norway (and Sweden even more tbh) needs to have more songs like this and less safe Melodifestivalen rejects like "Honestly" or "Not Meant to Be".

ArmpitOfEurope

It wasn't even that bad? I'm not sure why people hopped on the Freya hate train on this forum so much. People are allowed to enjoy Nordic ethnic elements in songs and frankly Norway (and Sweden even more tbh) needs to have more songs like this and less safe Melodifestivalen rejects like "Honestly" or "Not Meant to Be".

Ι agree with you and thats why I want Alessandra to go, Ulrikke will be a televote flop in May if she goes.
Freya performance was just not it though, she didnt even manage to connect with the cameras a bit.

Deleted member 12761

Freya was such a good song. What a waste. But yeah, that performance wasn't good. Reminded me a lot of Agnete. I loved Icebreaker but her performance ruined it. Triumph was a bop. I'm okay with Skrellex. Tbh her performance was pretty good and that dancebreak was cool.

jatojo

Ulrikke - Honestly 9.0/10
Alessandra Mele - Queen of Kings 8.3/10
Atle Pettersen - Masterpiece 6.7/10
Jone - Ekko inni meg 6.1/10
Elsie Bay - Love You in a Dream 5.3/10
Umami Tsunami - Geronimo 4.5/10
Eline Thorp - Not Meant to Be 4.3/10
Swing'it - Prohibition 2.2/10
Skrellex - Love Again 1.7/10

I'm close to that top 10. But it feels like a 2nd division selection, and the Norwegian ESC winner potential has dropped considerably.

LivingOrganism

Ok, I might get hated for saying this, but idc. I really don't get what people see in "Honestly". I mean, it's definitely not a bad song and the vocals are indeed really good, but it's just incredibly forgettable and generic. There are many songs in the final of MGP, that are just much more memorable and creative. Ulrikke may seem like "a safe choice", but I can't see her going anywhere near top 10 in Liverpool. Unless every other country sends their own version of "The Ride", that is.

Jone is not my favorite, but his performance has a lot of potential. So does "Queen of Kings". Elsie Bay is my personal favorite, but I also don't really see her doing too well in Liverpool, especially with the televoters.

So yeah, I guess Jone or Alessandra are the best choices for Norway this year. Honourable mention to Atle - his performance in the semi was just georgous.

Koori

It's a perfomance hate train though. Song is still great. Opposite to Ulrikke - bad song with nice peformance :(

EscGeek

Veteran
I have finally picked my winner.. It's SKRELLEX! xyaaay

"Love Again" feels so intense and loud. And the verses in the chourus are the perfect length.And the key change is a cherry on top :lol:

This was a five or even six horse race and i wanted to see all the performances first.
I dare to say Melfest this year will be weaker. Great job Norway! xbow.

1-Skrellex "Love Again"
2-Jone "Ekke inni meg"
3-Byron Williams Jr. & Jowst "Freaky for the Weekend"
4-Swing'it "Prohibition"
5-Alessandra Mele "Queen of Kings"
6-Akuvi "Triumph"
7-Ella "Waist"
8-Eline Thorp "Not Meant to Be"
9-Ulrikke "Honestly"
10-Elsie Bay "Love You in a Dream"
11-Tiril "Break It"
12-Alejandro Fuentes "Fuego"
13-Stig van Eijk "Someday"

Yes, all of those songs sound good to me. I have every reason to expect :no: in my top 20 for 10th time in the last 11 years. :D As long as Atle and Geronimo loses of course. And i think i can even warm up to the latter. But I don't want to because there too many better options avaliable. xbow

Top Bottom