Reach up to heaven
To you

I'm a, I'm a fallen angel
Yeah I'm a, I'm a fallen angel
And I'm still not sure
What you ever saw in me

No, I'm a, I'm a fallen angel
Tryna fly, but I'm not able, so
Just let me go (I'm a, I'm a fallen angel)
'Cause no matter where my heart is
There's no way I'll ever
Reach up to heaven
To you​

Last edited by a moderator:

Looren

Veteran
Here is also my ranking of the first SF :

Very Good :

Tix "Ut av morket" : I found his performance beautiful (but the dress was a bit ridiculous xD)
Stina Talling "Elevate" : Robbed queen ! Her performance was really good

Not bad :

KEiiNO "Monument" : Ok it's way better than "Spirit In The Sky", but I just want the girl to come solo to MGP with a ballad and slay the whole thing
BeadyBelle "Playing With Fire" : This one surprised me, I enjoyed it

Bad :

Jorn "Faith Bloody Faith" : Not my style

Shit :

Blasemawhatever "Let Loose" : This song is a big joke, I hate it !

Kaz

So now that I’ve had some time to properly gather my thoughts around Monument...

Monument really displays Keiino’s artistic integrity and growth as a group, not only from a musical standpoint but also from a cultural one.

From a musical perspective, it’s largely true that this song has predictable Eurovision elements baked into it, but that doesn’t discredit it at all. Keiino rose from obscurity into the centre of Europe’s attention in 2019 precisely because their song was so Eurovision-y.

Their choice to stick to an upbeat track shows their artistic integrity and that they are staying true to their roots (and what their fans desire) which I always value. Simultaneously though, Monument has a more mature sound and takes us on an emotional journey rather than a physical journey (i.e. getting us to dance).

Secondly, I deeply appreciate Monument’s existence within the cultural realm. This is largely due to how the song’s meaning and lyrics combine with its actual composition.

I interpret Monument as asking the audience what mark they leave on the world. How will you be remembered after you die? I’m certain that many of us have pondered this question before, and most of us are likely still on this journey of figuring out an answer. Monument teaches us that the most important thing is building deep relationships and making memories, helping to make the world a better place by being a good person to your loved ones. (“In your voice I hear it coming back to me”, “The river where you first held my hand” etc.)

But the real stand-out feature to me which truly highlights integrity, creativity and cultural awareness is how the Sámi culture has been embedded into this track, particularly given its meaning (and in comparison to Spirit in the Sky).

Indigenous cultures around the globe are some of the most misunderstood. And most of these cultures haven’t been lost, but rather they have been (and are still being) actively erased. Monument feels like a truly heartfelt message from the Sámi community - and by extension, all Indigenous communities - to listen to their histories, to ensure that these stories survive and that we recognise their contributions.

This is in contrast to Spirit in the Sky, where the inclusion of Sámi joiking felt, to many people, like a fun gimmick or redundant element which was added purely to help the track stand out amongst the crowd. It is entirely your opinion as to whether these criticisms are valid, but I believe that Monument has approached the Sámi culture with a better lens - more sensitivity, more meaning, and more maturity.

Monument feels like the final conclusion to an epic journey, of which Keiino have been the protagonists. It feels like the track which plays right before the protagonists split paths and return to their previous lives, hoping that they meet again one day in the future. And as all television dramas go, we all know that this reunion is inevitable - but until then, our characters will cherish every memory and leave the audience with feelings of nostalgia and satisfaction. Thank you, Tom, Fred and Alexandra, for showing us the perfect end to a magnificent story.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

A jam 🙌 At first I thought the lyrics were sad but "no way, my lyrics ok" I was assured. I can imagine this being performed by a man on some early 90s kids tv show surrounded by a bunch of puppets.

Sorry, I'm having one of my moments.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Ok adding PQs and semi 2;

Much xheat to be had
KEiiNO - Monument
Raylee - Hero

Quite Wonderful
Stina Talling - Elevate
Daniel Owen - Physco

Decent Enough
Jorn - Fate Bloody Faith
TIX - Ut Av Mørket

Kinda Eh tbh
Blåsemafian feat. Hazel - Let Loose
Beady Belle - Playing With Fire

Some mess I don't want to hear again
Maria Solheim - Nordlyset
Ketil Stokkan - My Life is OK

Ofc KEiiNO straight into xheat section, no explanation needed. Semi 2 is split for me, 2 songs I really like and 2 I absolutely hate. 'My Life is OK' is some retro dated mess I hate, and Nordlyset is boring as hell and embodies a lot of what I hate in music. 'Hero' is a hit though. xheat I love it, super great. It's not quite up with Monument but it's in the general area. 'Physco' I enjoyed also, not as much as Hero or Monument it's still pretty good. 'Ut Av Mørket' is alright, there is elements I like, but also I just find it all round kind of average and not worth much but it's ok.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
test will delete once I know this works

On second thought I'll just use this post to point out that Non-Fred Girl did warn us...

HMfiOwP.gif

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Ok heat 2, show me what you got.

1. Raylee – "Hero"
2. Daniel Owen – "Psycho"
3. Maria Solheim – "Nordlyset"
4. Ketil Stokkan – "My Life is OK"

Overall, a mess. I'm not crazy about any of these four, but I like "Hero" more than the others, it's a great piece of retro-inspired pop. "Psycho" is catchy too, something I would see on Benjamin Ingrosso's album but this Daniel dude dives too deep into fuckboy energy and I'm not here for that vibe. "Nordlyset" is cute but in the end it goes nowhere really. "My Life is Ok" is just embarassing.

"Monument" completely obliterating yet another heat bless.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Nordlyset is warm and bittersweet. It feels like that restful moment after a long journey. It aches me listening to it. The music on this one is so very charming. It's hitting all of my weak spots especially with that harmonica. The theremin adding a wonderfully peculiar touch as well to the experience, with Maria's voice like a rich, soothing whisper, gently gliding above it all. I can't remember the last time a folk entry has reached me like this in a Eurovision setting. I'm in awe of everything the song is doing. I fear this will suffer the same fate as Anna Järvinen's Porslin did in Melodifestivalen some years back, but I'm looking forward to seeing it performed live. What a song.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
@Stargazer get your butt in here and listen to Nordlyset. I'm betting my hair, house and San Marino fan club membership that you'll dig it. And I want to see more butts. @lavieenrose @Mrm you too.

Okay yes I'm super into this. I thought the theremin was a vocalist when it first entered. The orchestrations are super, super warm and play off her voice really well.

aef

Great live performance by KEiiNO - at least concerning the vocals, I'm not sure about the staging and the outfits... And I still want Tom to have a full solo part. However I'm totally team KEiiNO again! Alexandras voice is giving me chills.... xlove I also just realized she was born in 1996, just like me!

I also like TIX very much. xmusic You can totally feel his story somehow... The song is giving me such a positive feeling! Also interesting staging actually!

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
@Stargazer get your butt in here and listen to Nordlyset. I'm betting my hair, house and San Marino fan club membership that you'll dig it. And I want to see more butts. @lavieenrose @Mrm you too.
Aw it's so sweet! xheart Really enjoy it. I still prefer Jorn, though out of the two songs I've heard.

Loindici

Veteran
I'm on the unpopular since I love Psycho and Nordlyset. I tried to love MLOK, but I find it a bit harder with the vocal mixing. Raylee seems to be hyped in the fandom, and I can see why, but it sounds like Carly Rae Jepsen trying to do Dua Lipa's Physical workout while drinking Bonnie Tyler' 1984 breastmilk as a protein supplement.

Mrm

Veteran
At first I didn't like anything from the 2nd Heat, but after I gave new chance to all entries, I really do like this one..it doesn't grab on first, but it seems I will end LOVING it... xlove xheart

MalagaToledo

Banned
Norway you have one job to do. You better do it right. I think norway 2022 is pretty obvious. I thought nobody would take away blas canto from my number 1 list and I'm still waiting for his song, but i believe these guys are my number one.

theditz83

Veteran
Well Heat 2 is clearly being won by Raylee, what a mis-match of songs there. I don't believe it's the strongest song of its modern 80s renaissance genre even, but out of what's on offer here it's the only possible finalist.

Daniel will get some votes two, but his song just never quite reaches a level where I could see it overtaking Raylee which will be the most instant and memorable (unless staging and live performance is a car crash).

But still, it's all moot since nothing beats Monument still. Let's see what the next heat and the PQs bring ;)

Top Bottom