Reach up to heaven
To you

I'm a, I'm a fallen angel
Yeah I'm a, I'm a fallen angel
And I'm still not sure
What you ever saw in me

No, I'm a, I'm a fallen angel
Tryna fly, but I'm not able, so
Just let me go (I'm a, I'm a fallen angel)
'Cause no matter where my heart is
There's no way I'll ever
Reach up to heaven
To you​

Last edited by a moderator:

Looren

Veteran
"Spirit in the Sky" was totally shit, actually they improved and "Monument" is an ok song

• Like It
Reactions: Mrm

cegs5

I’m a minority here, Monument didn’t impress me. Their attempt to appeal jury votes made them somehow lose genuinity, whilst SITS was already cheesy and formulaic, it got some charm for being unpretentious and catchy, things I don’t find in this new entry.

As for the other constestants last night, I think Beady Belle was the least atrociuos, so the other three don’t deserve a comment even. I hope the next entries move up the level.

theditz83

Veteran
Unlike how some other eurofans might react, I'd never shoot down anyone for not liking a song that I loved because like @mauve said not everyone can like the same things - how boring would that be??

If I can take a second to explain why I connect so deeply with KEiiNO - musically, they have a knack for creating an atmosphere that creates an almost ethereal quality in my head, with the way that Alexandra's vocals mesh with Tom's harmonies and the raw, earth-like quality of Fred's joik (which I know isn't the most technical or authentic example in the world, but for europop music it blends perfectly). Spirit In The Sky from the minute it started transported me to a completely different place - it connected melodically and atmospherically to lift me out of my YouTube app and take me to another world. It's hard for a song to do that.

Of course, as a fan, I also deeply connect with Tom, Alexandra and Fred's individual back stories of being stereotyped and judged and never feeling like you would fit in, and coming together to perform as KEiiNO genuinely seems to give all three this renewed energy and power that is really emotional for me to witness. I get that might be a more nuanced reason for my love of their work as the casual viewer won't always know an act's history, but for me I just find them one of the most enthralling and joyful acts not only from Eurovision but from the world of music in general.

Lyrically, Monument has stepped up the game from SITS to give a slightly more mature feel, and I honestly feel that the overall production has moved on as well to rely less on the bass and 4/4 dance beats to focus a lot more on the lush overall soundscape and the vocal harmonies.

Could things improve? Of course - Fred will still tend to sound a little over-excited in some joiks, and Tom has a tendency to sometimes go a little flat with his harmonies (although he was pretty good last night) but it was clear that Alexandra was the centre of Monument last night and that's how it should be. Her tone, delivery and the interaction between her and the guys just re-ignite my passion for their on-stage chemistry every time.

I can't wait to see what they bring to the Grand Final performance!

Ezio

Veteran
Let Loose sounds like a jury slayer, but there are things that me as a person that annoy me inspite of the overall quality package:

- too many trumpets
- too many stomping beats
- loud

In Elevate I looked for the mute button after 2 seconds, because her voice is really shaky. Also a loud and overproduced song with too many "atmospheric effects" that do nothing for me as and too many common chords. A song by the book.

Let Loose > Elevate.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Lots going on over here, so I'm very behind on Eurovision, and...

I'm in shock. I think I've spent the last two hours listening to this on repeat. "Spirit in the Sky" took a flaw-free semifinal performance to get me on board. This, however, I was hooked to instantly. It's campy, catchy brilliance without going to corniness. The lyrics are oddly poignant and, unlike SitS, are recognizably so right away instead of hiding that under layers. In the live performance, the highly entertaining comical preening from SitS has given way to, or perhaps revealed itself to be, dopey sincerity. You get the sense that this is exactly what all three of them would like to be spending their time doing.

I love the way it's staged, too. The wardrobe and stage show could have come off very drab but is instead very "them," it's just "them and ready to slay."

Last year, Norway were dead last in my Eurovision ranking, but, before things got cancelled, I thought they were on track to win. Opposite from last year, they have a real shot at being at the very very top of my ranking if they go with this. Like last year, though, I think they can bring Eurovision right back to the Land of Fjords.

@RainyWoods is right that they've failed spectacularly at their stated mission of appealing to the juries. I think this song's path to victory is another televote slay and just enough jurors - the latter of which will be a tall order. But, as the old meme goes, Task Failed Successfully. I wouldn't have it any other way.

(also, was non-Fred dude always this hot and I've just now noticed? xheat )

theditz83

Veteran
(also, was non-Fred dude always this hot and I've just now noticed? xheat )

Non-Fred dude (aka Tom) has definitely done something to look a bit more "rugged" and less clean-cut and 90s boy-band, but he's not my kinda snack so I couldn't possibly pretend to be an expert.

Fred on the other hand... Delicious. But I always have gone for quirky bald blokes 🤣 xgoddessxrunhugxheat

BernadetteCydonia

You know Tom has become KEiiNO's non-presence when you have to refer to him as "the non-Fred guy".

Seriously. Why is he not getting lines alone anymore? Spirit in the Sky let him shine for at least a few lines, now he's stuck in the shadow of Alexandra (and Fred to a lesser extent)... I get that it seems that Alexandra has the best voice of this group but come on now. I'd like I'd like I'd like for some more of Tom's solo input, it would make me happy.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
@RainyWoods will be proud xcry and jealous

I like to think I've done for the balds over the years similar to what Britney has done for the gays.

Fred is cute but I actually didn't pay particular attention to him back in 2019. There's something about him this year though. He's in absolute command when he moves to the middle during that Monument performance. A very powerful and mysterious man
daydreaming.gif

JoBPAhI.png

GO KEiiNO!! xheart

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
You know Tom has become KEiiNO's non-presence when you have to refer to him as "the non-Fred guy".

I firmly disagree! XD They each have names; their names just happen to be Fred, Non-Fred Dude, and Non-Fred Girl! They're not non-presences; they just exist in relation to Fred!

Or maybe I'm just covering my ass because I wrote that at 5ish AM on 8 hours jetlag.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I like to think I've done for the balds over the years similar to what Britney has done for the gays.

Fred is cute but I actually didn't pay particular attention to him back in 2019. There's something about him this year though. He's in absolute command when he moves to the middle during that Monument performance. A very powerful and mysterious man
daydreaming.gif

JoBPAhI.png

GO KEiiNO!! xheart

LMAO That pic. xheart Abby from Eastenders didn't die, she moved to Norway and changed her name to Alexandra.

I love how widely well recieved this entry has been by people who aren't even usually into pop music so much. xbow It's getting me proper hyped and excited for them.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
LMAO That pic. xheart Abby from Eastenders didn't die, she moved to Norway and changed her name to Alexandra.

I love how widely well recieved this entry has been by people who aren't even usually into pop music so much. xbow It's getting me proper hyped and excited for them.

Abby from Eastenders died? :cry: Who's the monster that killed her or did she choke on a packet of Tesco's own brand crisps, or something? See, this is why I stopped watching the soaps. They always kill off the legends. At least Abby's spirit lives on in Non-Fred Girl from KEiiNO.

And what if they actually don't win? I'm always denied my NF pop favourites, especially when they're all schlagery and fabulous.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Abby from Eastenders died? :cry: Who's the monster that killed her or did she choke on a packet of Tesco's own brand crisps, or something? See, this is why I stopped watching the soaps. They always kill off the legends. At least Abby's spirit lives on in Non-Fred Girl from KEiiNO.

And what if they actually don't win? I'm always denied my NF pop favourites, especially when they're all schlagery and fabulous.

omg it was a whole thing. Max was gonna jump of the Queen Vic, only Abby and Lauren saw and went running up to stop him and talk him down, only they both ended up on the edge also. Lauren misstepped and fell and Abby tried to catch her taking both of them off. Lauren survived and Abby died. You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFnixSYfhww

bless us discussing Eastenders in the middle of the Norway thread. xheart

LOL ofc it will happen, I can see it now

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Tfw you're listening to "Monument" and you miss the volume up button for the volume down button right as the first pre-chorus starts

200.gif

Top Bottom