9 5.6%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Norway-scaled.jpg

Sean

Admin
Staff member
This is growing on me. I can understand some of the hype around this song now but don't think I've heard a winner yet from anywhere in Europe...

:eek: I really have no idea how you think that I believe I am superior. What I wrote is MY opinion. You must be very offended to write that.

Actually I am not offended at all. Coming here and saying this song or performance does absolutely zero to you is totally cool. It's just weird to me to call a song soulless if it clearly has fans.

Surveys like studies leave the time they find. It's not what the public likes now, but what will like in May to make a difference. Now I ask you, Mauve loves the song of Italy and that of Belgium, because as an example, as if by magic, you had to talk about the song of Italy to make a comparison with the Norwegian song? A comparison where the Italian song, in your opinion, is not beautiful, will not appeal to the public and is saved only by the interpretation of Diodato. I want to understand ... if a song is sung well, if the singer with his singing manages to give emotions, the song works and is beautiful. Just technically speaking the Norwegian song is poor. Ulrikke's beautiful voice gives nothing to the song. One can only say "Yes, Urlikke has a beautiful voice". Now I'll give you some examples of audience preferences: on this forum the song by Diodato is the one that has received the most posts, on youtube the video has received more than 10 million views and more than 100,000 likes and more than 6000 comments. The comments of foreigners, you can go and read them, are full of beautiful words. After all this ... what are you talking about? From what beliefs? I can confidently tell you that Italy, I hope I am wrong, will not win this year either. We are not your opponents. The geopolitical power of Italy to the ESC is worth as much as a peanut and the RAI will not want to invest on the ESC (as happened in 1998 with the Jalisse candidates for the victory and Enrico Ruggeri, the deliberately poor songs sent to the ESC and the most beautiful ones left to home, and long absence from 1998 to 2010). You talk too often about our song, so much that you make me think you're afraid.

Not sure I get everything what you are trying to say. I talk too often about your song? Thats like the first time I mentioned the Italian Song of 2020? Actually I would love Italy to win Eurovision.. I think they deserve it. But I highly doubt it is going to be this year.

I have read like the last 50+ pages of this thread and there were about 5-10 people saying how this song gives them zero emotion while Italy does, thats the reason I brought it up.

Btw. this forum or views on youtube do not necessarily translate to any success. Take 'O jardim' for example. More than 70 people in this forum gave 12 points to this song mid march 2018, yet they ended up last in the final. Italian San Remo winners by default every year have one of the highest viewing numbers, sometimes even the highest. People got fooled with Occidentali's Karma reaching more than 100 million views and the OGAE voting hype thinking it will absolutely landslide the televote in May.

mauve

Veteran
Actually I am not offended at all. Coming here and saying this song or performance does absolutely zero to you is totally cool. It's just weird to me to call a song soulless if it clearly has fans.

You know what's funny? there are other users here who have written much more "offensive" posts than mine. And you pick mine of all people? Saying soulless is just my opinion, I have no idea why you reacted that way. A forum is where you exchange such thoughts. Oh well. Nevermind.xshrug

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

I know this is not my arguement, so forgive me for butting in. I think that soulless is a perfectly valid way of describing a piece of music. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was what I used as well when talking about this particular song as the whole thing came across to me as rather calculated and hollow. I love ballads and this is not reaching me in a single way. The definition of soulless is lacking character and individuality as well as being tedious and uninspiring. It fits perfectly with how I feel about Attention, and for mauve (who is a darling and always kind to others here) it fits too.

So long as people aren't going around saying "this song is horrific and everyone that likes it is tasteless", you know, being really unpleasant about it, what is there to care about? Now that's something that is bothersome. Of course you can disagree with an opinion and you can then express your own. That's why we are all here.

Last edited:

HayashiM

Veteran
Logical implications aside, imo the difference between Fai Rumore and Attention is the order in which the songs got written.

For the first song, my impression is that the emotion precedes the songwriting. "Ok, I wanna sing about these feelings of mine, let's figure out the melody and other stuff according to that" Diodato completely owns his song.

On the other hand, the order for Attention feels reversed in my eyes - "let's write a cool song with some decent hook and then maybe figure out what it's gonna be about". Ulrikke has perhaps the best vocals of all fully announced entries so far, the lyrics also do provoke some deeper thoughts on a second look... But the many layers of the overall package contribute to the fact that even after about 10 listens, I am not sure what enotions she wants to convey and whether she actually wants to convey any emotion at all. Which feels somewhat soulless.
That doesn't mean I can't enjoy Attention at all btw, there's also other qualities to a song besides being "soulful".

@RainyWoods
Then we probably do have different views. First of all soulless to me is lacking the capacity of any feeling and with that you are not only telling how you personally feel about the song, but also dismissing everyone who does like the song.

Don't you think this wording is provoking? Let's imagine I was in Italian TV and someone asked me about the San Remo winning song. If I answered it is not my cup of tea and I do not like it, I guess (and hope) people would be fine with it. But what if I told them I think the song is mediocre and soulless? Wouldn't I be attacking every single person who voted for it? People would be offended and rightfully so.

Alaska49

why are we talking about fai rumore outside its thread isn't it bad enough that it exists and is taking space in eurovision already

DenizESC

Banned
why are we talking about fai rumore outside its thread isn't it bad enough that it exists and is taking space in eurovision already

thank u. there is beef in every single thread and I can't keep up with all. but these are words i can stand behind at least, satan bless you.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
@RainyWoods
Then we probably do have different views. First of all soulless to me is lacking the capacity of any feeling and with that you are not only telling how you personally feel about the song, but also dismissing everyone who does like the song.

Don't you think this wording is provoking? Let's imagine I was in Italian TV and someone asked me about the San Remo winning song. If I answered it is not my cup of tea and I do not like it, I guess (and hope) people would be fine with it. But what if I told them I think the song is mediocre and soulless? Wouldn't I be attacking every single person who voted for it? People would be offended and rightfully so.

To say something is not your cup of tea is just the ultra careful and polite way of saying it's something you most probably dislike, and actually there would still no doubt be some people who would be offended by your taste or "lack of". It's happened to me multiple times in the past when I've politely expressed not liking something, even just from posting top rankings on youtube.

"Soulless" might be a biggie to use as it does put rather strong feelings across, but again I fail to see really what is the problem? I've got.. strange taste and I don't feel personally attacked each year as people crucify my favourites. I don't feel dismissed or insulted. I shrug it off and enjoy what I enjoy, and I'd hope my words would never make someone feel bad about listening to what they like. I usually make very sure to put a "in my opinion" after most things I write as people forget sometimes it's just that, an opinion. It would be different perhaps if we were reaching out to artists and songwriters on social media telling them what we think, but we're not. We're on a Eurovision forum discussing the art we're being presented with, in the same way movie buffs probably do things elsewhere on the internet. Eurovision songs are literally put forth to be dissected (studied) and then ranked. It's the whole point.

People here and elsewhere have used much worse things than soulless to describe music. To me it seems kind of a peculiar thing to highlight. I got told the other day by someone here I like very much rather humorously that I loved trash, and I had a laugh from it. I think we're too serious sometimes. I find Attention a soulless, bland piece but I don't think everyone who enjoys it is a robot (apart from @Alaska49 who was programmed to champion Attention whilst hating on Undo) , and I don't doubt for a second that people can get something from the song. Different strokes for different folks I guess. We're all different.

Last edited:

Nemo89

Not sure I get everything what you are trying to say. I talk too often about your song? Thats like the first time I mentioned the Italian Song of 2020? Actually I would love Italy to win Eurovision.. I think they deserve it. But I highly doubt it is going to be this year.

I have read like the last 50+ pages of this thread and there were about 5-10 people saying how this song gives them zero emotion while Italy does, thats the reason I brought it up.

Btw. this forum or views on youtube do not necessarily translate to any success. Take 'O jardim' for example. More than 70 people in this forum gave 12 points to this song mid march 2018, yet they ended up last in the final. Italian San Remo winners by default every year have one of the highest viewing numbers, sometimes even the highest. People got fooled with Occidentali's Karma reaching more than 100 million views and the OGAE voting hype thinking it will absolutely landslide the televote in May.
I will try to answer you exhaustively, because I think you are not grasping the true meaning of the words or you are stopping at their literal meaning only. You are also responding to people who have never said "The Norway song sucks" or "It's 0 to me" indeed, nobody was bad with Ulrikke. Go and read the comments on the Italian song ... "It's 0 for me", "It sucks", "San Marino will overcome the big bulky brother! Italy has written a shitty song. " So this outrage of yours is out of place. People here have endeavored to make a technical comment and especially Mauve is always correct in his comments.

If my English isn't bad, I agree with HayashiM's words. Diodato's song was born first of all from an emotion. Many say that the song is dedicated to Levante and in fact, if you go to translate "TikiBomBom" of the Italian singer you will see a small similarity. I don't do spoilers. Have fun translating. Ulrikke's song, on the other hand, was born from the clear intent to excite but emotions cannot be chained in patterns. When the emotions are schematized, the risk is that the songs are lacking in depth.

Going back to "Fai rumore", I accept that the song may not like it but to say that technically it is bad is bad or makes it clear that a part of the audience does not know music. Go to study every single part of the song, from the light / dreamlike / nostalgic phase that explodes in noise / feeling. In the first part you can find that the "Fai rumore" casts a powerful light on the previous words, first nebulae. The song is well structured.

Every year, Italy brings high-quality works to the ESC and easily enters the "Top 10"; do you want to know why? Because the "Sanremo’s Festival " does not write songs thinking about ESC! The selection for our festival is very hard and in the competition you can watch different songs, of different style and thickness. Now go and watch the performances of Sanremo and you will find that Elodie, Rancore, Achille Lauro (for his crazy behavior), Tosca and Gabbani would have easily reached the "Top 10". Instead Pelù, Le Vibrazioni and Irene Grandi would have suffered a little. People like Anastasio would have made a good impression and Elettra Lamborghini, with all its singing limits, would have fought hard with the Latvian song. Italy's problem is too much quality and the Italian jury had to choose Diodato because Gabbani has already had his chance at ESC. Italy wanted to focus on a new style of music, like every year. I repeat, we brought Gualazzi (Jazz), Il Volo (modern lyric music), Mahmood (Contemporary R & B / Arab rap), Gabbani (show music), Ermal Meta and Moro (social message), Mengoni (pop music), Nina Zilli (R & B). Which other nation has played this way with musical styles? Leaving aside Emma Marrone (a De Filippi product ...) and Francesca Michielin (who has not won the festival and is overrated) you can understand the Italian style from this. Our style always wants to remain strong and varied. We do not want to risk creating music far from our patterns: a choice that can lead to victory but that can also make you finish last in the final!

In conclusion, your thought, that is what if a song has an audience then it is beautiful is a weak thought. I make you listen an Italian song "Il Pulcino Pio", a silly song, which the Italians appreciated a few years ago. The song, apart from the public, is silly and silly remains.

Last edited:

Uto

Veteran
@RainyWoods
Why would you still choose to interpret the word as an absolute when it is made quite clear that this is not what is meant?

AliceEsc

I love "Attention", I don't know, perhaps it's personal. Lyrics+melody hit me everytime I listen to it. Her great vocals are a huge plus.
But I get that some people won't like it, won't get the emotions that I get. And it's perfectly normal.

I think that pretty much that's what the word "soulless" was about. Some songs speak to your heart and some don't. (btw I love Fai rumore too xheart)

@RainyWoods
It's okay. I feel like this all has kind of blown up which wasn't the intention at all. It is not even such a big deal. If you think I am insulted, I am not. Even if I had my favourites, I am not the type of person who goes around disliking people's tops on youtube, only because they are not a fan of a song I love. Let's just leave it at that.

@Nemo89
I honestly don't like the comparison's between Norway and Italy this year. Both are more or less ballad-y, but other than that, they could not be more different. I do not even dislike the Italian song. It's okay to me. I can listen to it, but thats about it. I don't feel anything at all when listening to him or watch him perform. I could go into the Italian thread and say these words and people would be fine with it. But going there and calling it 'soulless' is on a complete another level. To me it is like saying the song (as a ballad) clearly fails at what it is trying to do.

FYI: I never said that if a song has audience, it is automatically beautiful. Neither did I say anything about how I personally think about 'Attention'.

NikolaiMoller

Veteran
Upgrading from 4p to 8p.

I'm finally over the loss of "Wild" - but still a bit sad we won't see Raylee in Eurovision :(

Ulrikke has an amazing voice and the song is really good, especially the last part. I know we've heard songs like this in Eurovision before, but with 40+ songs every year, it is simply not possible to get new and innovative songs all the time.

I bet she'll be top 5 with the juries, if not winning the jury vote. Televote maybe around 13-17 in the final.

Uto

Veteran
Upgrading from 4p to 8p.

I'm finally over the loss of "Wild" - but still a bit sad we won't see Raylee in Eurovision :(

Ulrikke has an amazing voice and the song is really good, especially the last part. I know we've heard songs like this in Eurovision before, but with 40+ songs every year, it is simply not possible to get new and innovative songs all the time.

I bet she'll be top 5 with the juries, if not winning the jury vote. Televote maybe around 13-17 in the final.
Oh I think she'll be higher really. Staging is going to be a breeze. This will look a million dollars and with such vocals she is bound to stand out. As long as there is no entry of similar quality with a more modern sound this has solid prospects. Should for instance Romania choose to send Alcohol You I fear Norway is found out as being behind the curve and I'm back at where you are standing now.

Top Bottom