9 4.5%

7 3.5%

7 3.5%

4 2.0%

15 7.5%

• Total voters

BorisBubbles

Veteran
lol, I was fully expecting KEiiNO to finish 20th in the finale, so 6th place is still an excellent result. Most countries would commit murder (on Christer Björkmann) to get 6th place.

Mainshow

Veteran
Of course, it's disappointing for the winner of the Televoting to be outside the Top 5 but actually, I didn't expect Norway to qualify at all. I still can't get the fuss about this entry. It's fun and catchy and I don't mind listening to it but it's not winning material. It's so effing random and Eurovision-esque xD
So, #6 is still waaaaaay more than I expected it to achieve and definitely a reason to celebrate

Alaska49

lol, I was fully expecting KEiiNO to finish 20th in the finale, so 6th place is still an excellent result. Most countries would commit murder (on Christer Björkmann) to get 6th place.
do you wish murder on everyone who doesn't think as you, boris????!?!!!?!??????

Milos-BC

Outstanding result for this amazing song :D I never thought they could win the televoting but it was really deserved. A huge shame on the juries though. Their effect needs to be minimalized at least, it's tragic what they are doing to many songs every year.

This year we have a situation that both their winner and the televoting winner are not even close top 3 which is......somewhat disturbing.

But :no: can really be proud with this result :D

tuorem

Because the song is cheap as hell

I'm still surprised it won the televote tbh, but in hindsight people got behind "You're The Only One" three years ago, which was cheap eurodance as well.

The difference here is that there was no gripping visuals, hence why that success confuses me even more. xthink

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I'm still surprised it won the televote tbh, but in hindsight people got behind "You're The Only One" three years ago, which was cheap eurodance as well.

The difference here is that there was no gripping visuals, hence why that success confuses me even more. xthink

Probably because it stood out, and you could argue it is unashamedly 'eurovision'. Which is something we severely lack now as everyone tries to reflect current music trends. I didn't see it coming either, but on reflection i'm perhaps not so surprised. I don't think it does well to sneer and look down, labelling it as cheap eurodance (I don't necessarily mean you), it's usually a view from people who think they have better taste because they listen to music that isn't quite mainstream. It's highly effective in what it does and it looked great visually imo. It didn't need all the over work and polish that Russia 2016 (and this year also) had, not to mention it looked very authentic. The whole package screamed Scandinavia. I'm sure as hell this televote win wasn't lost on Sweden, because they've been under the impression that anything that is very Scandinavian in style isn't good for eurovision so we often see anything like it crash and burn in an MF final - we could see some more serious attempts at it in MF for 2020. It is worth noting though, that all of the 12s Norway got came from Germanic countries :au: :dk: :de: :is: :ie: :nl: :se: :uk:, but still a televote win is a televote win. Its even by far the best charting ESC song in the UK for this year, getting to 5.

tuorem

Probably because it stood out, and you could argue it is unashamedly 'eurovision'. Which is something we severely lack now as everyone tries to reflect current music trends. I didn't see it coming either, but on reflection i'm perhaps not so surprised. I don't think it does well to sneer and look down, labelling it as cheap eurodance (I don't necessarily mean you), it's usually a view from people who think they have better taste because they listen to music that isn't quite mainstream. It's highly effective in what it does and it looked great visually imo. It didn't need all the over work and polish that Russia 2016 (and this year also) had, not to mention it looked very authentic. The whole package screamed Scandinavia. I'm sure as hell this televote win wasn't lost on Sweden, because they've been under the impression that anything that is very Scandinavian in style isn't good for eurovision so we often see anything like it crash and burn in an MF final - we could see some more serious attempts at it in MF for 2020. It is worth noting though, that all of the 12s Norway got came from Germanic countries :au: :dk: :de: :is: :ie: :nl: :se: :uk:, but still a televote win is a televote win. Its even by far the best charting ESC song in the UK for this year, getting to 5.

Just to make it clear: in no instance would I dare to say my taste is superior to someone else's, I'm not that kind of person :) As you pointed out, the contest is changing for better or for worse and many songs now sound like they were intended for international charts. I don't have any obsession with "timestamping" songs - and actually loved my fair share of so-called "old-fashioned" entries - yet I strongly believed songs a la "Spirit In The Sky" would no longer find a big audience in this day and age, let alone win the televote, hence my confusion regarding the results.

With so many more current musical options and visual shows competing, Norway thwarted forecasts as well as some factors that I took for granted as far televoters are concerned.

theditz83

Veteran
I am so proud of the performance these guys put in on the night. It was assured, fun and uncomplicated - it allowed the song to be the focus with no complicated performance quirks and like Ashley already touched on, it was so unashamedly Scandinavian in its styling and composition that I am so excited to see all of the delicious compositions that will come to the table next year. Melodifestivalen will hopefully stop being a pastiche of the American and EU pop charts and revert back to the good old schlagerfest that we have been starved of for years!

martin

Also 2 time televoting loves something who hear quite Scandinavian/nordic, Last year it was Denmark vikings songs

martin

What can we say - televoters just have amazing taste! 2016 with You Are The Only One as well xup

Well i like televoting result much better than jury. So hopefully televoting would get more Power in the future

theditz83

Veteran
Just listened back to the grand final performance, and I might be mistaken but it honestly sounded like the majority of the crowd were singing along to every single word in the chorus. It gets me quite emotional as there are few songs that I can remember that got that response and it honestly felt like a true "song for the people". Without a doubt, this will remain in my top 5 Eurovision songs ever for quite some time! xlove

theditz83

Veteran
I cant help loving Keiino's new song as well..... Not quite as 90's sound...

It's my NSC entry this edition - adore it! I cannot wait for an album and a tour (since the UK public gave them 12 points, hopefully they'll even come across the North Sea to inject some Nordic sweetness into our concert arenas!) xlove

Realest

Juries should have given them around 100 Points. Enough to be Top10 with the Juries and Top3 overall, but not enogh to win.

Realest

A good Bop straight outta 90s

theditz83

Veteran
The KEiiNO juggernaut rolls on with what is probably their best single since Spirit In The Sky - these guys brighten up my world with every new song they release xlove

Top Bottom