WorldVision

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
kOX5lhg.png

Location on the banner: Porto Venere

LoyKmzT.png

ShoeFlo's entry database

ShoeFlo's entry playlist

Please mind that embedded Spotify playlists can only display a maximum of 100 songs. So if you want to see all songs you gotta open the spotify list in a different tab. Some of the songs displayed in the list are local files I had added because the songs do not exist in Spotify. Those songs you obviously can't play. The songs in question are:
Ólafur Arnalds (ft. Haukur Heiðar Hauksson) - A Hundred Reasons
Yoko Kanno ft. Árnor Dan - Von
Sumio Shiratori - Yuugure
Naoki Sato - Tokyo Medal ceremony

2EL3Pui.gif
2EL3Pui.gif
2EL3Pui.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

ShoeFlo

This is a small reference to my debut entry :)

r7Fj0dC.jpg

It is a song that will mostly attract the Pot F audience but at the same time it is a very joyful one (especially for my standards xcrazy ) Brace yourselves!

ShoeFlo

::nwit WV 147: Angelo Branduardi - La pulce d'acqua (the water flea) ::nwit

ThyUlP7.png

Angelo Branduardi is an Italian singer-songwriter, violinist, multi-instrumentalist and composer. He was born in 1950 in a small village next to Milan.

As a singer-songwriter he sought a new musical genre that combined ancient music (particularly medieval and Renaissance) with traditional folk music and Celtic and North-European traditions, earning him the nickname il Menestrello ("the minstrel")

With his albums Alla fiera dell'est (1976), La pulce d'acqua (1977) and Cogli la prima mela (1979) he scored relative success in Italy and European countries such as France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and Greece. La pulce d'acqua (the album) was leading the Italian album charts for some weeks in 1977.

My entry is obviously the title song of this album. The lyrics is based on a Native American legend reported and adapted by Jaime de Angulo about a man falling ill because his shadow has been stolen by a water flea (= pulce d'acqua).

Almost all songs of that album are based on legends, folk tales or mediaval songs from all over the world, while one song is loosely based on a movie; on Ingmar Bergman's Det sjunde inseglet .. so there is a lot to discover on the particular album! :)

Hope you enjoy me debut entry! xcheer

È la pulce d'acqua che l'ombra ti rubò
E tu ora sei malato
E la mosca d'autunno che hai schiacciato
Non ti perdonerà
Sull'acqua del ruscello forse tu
Troppo ti sei chinato
Tu chiami la tua ombra, ma
Lei non ritornerà
It is the water flea that stole your shadow
And you are sick now
And the autumn fly you crushed
will not forgive you
On the water of the stream
You've maybe bent too far down
You call your shadow, but
it will not return
È la pulce d'acqua che l'ombra ti rubò
E tu ora sei malato
E la serpe verde che hai schiacciato
Non ti perdonerà
E allora devi a lungo cantare
Per farti perdonare
E la pulce d'acqua che lo sa
L'ombra ti renderà
It is the water flea that stole your shadow
And you are sick now
And the green snake you crushed
will not forgive you
and then you have to sing for a long time
to achieve forgiveness
And the water flea, who knows it,
will give you back your shadow

Last edited:

ShoeFlo

Copy from Results thread:
::nwit Angelo Branduardi - La Pulce D'acqua 8th place, 129 pts ::nwit

Hugs and kisses to:

:12: :cy: :de: :en:
:10: :svea:
:8: :ar: ::ostl :lv: :lond:
:7: Western Canada ::iq :no: ::york
:6: :gr:
:5: :nz:
:4: :sobr:
:2: :fi: :cn: :it:
:1: :be: :hu:

Seems like my positive streak continues also at my new destination :D xcheer I expected a mid-table place but 8th place definitely tops it! Especially the big amounts of high ratings fill me with delight. Maybe I will dare to send Folky stuff more often again. A very nice debut result for Northwest Italy

I am proud to say this was my 6th Top 10 result in the last 10 editions and the 7th best result was an 11th place. The old experienced users here will remember I was once Italy juror for six editions and I qualified with every entry back then, so with this song I've got basically a 7/7 rate with Italian entries and I hope it will be a 10/10 or 11/11 rate when I'll leave Italy again. However I feel increasingly unconfident with some of my planned Italy entries. La pulce d'acqua was basically the big Pot F bomb I was looking forward to drop, the other entries are nice songs but I am not sure whether I love every single of them in a sufficient degree. I might dive deeper into artist researches if I get time to do so... so far all my planned entries are no discoveries but songs I use to know for quite a long time. But maybe I should eventually return to the activity that makes WV such an enriching hobby: looking for new music and exploring new music scenes, sub-genres and artists.

Anyway, this is a quite trivial hint to my next entry:

2LxtIHR.jpg

and this is an anticipation of some LL comments:

"I am already bored"

"this sounds like background music in a documentary"

"this feels so distanced, how can people connect with this?"

"oh no, still three minutes left"

"this song doesn't even develop"

"so generic! guess what, it will probably win"

"at least the pictures in the video are nice"

"hdjlksdksljkl"

Hope you will enjoy xheart

Last edited:

ShoeFlo

jnVO2ZS.jpg

Welcome to ATMOVISION 149, the National Final of ::nwit xcheer

I compiled a collection of six songs which are in some way atmospheric (we can argue about one of them being atmospheric, but at least the singer vocals have reverb effect) and decided to share them with you as part of a National Final :)

After folk and Neoclassic in the previous ::nwit editions, I now return to a more electronic-based kind of music featuring rich and dense atmospheric textures and including some styles that are completely new in my WV oeuvre (f.e. a Rave song), but also genres that I am notoriours for appreciating such as Post-Rock/shoegaze

I know, it's a but short-term with only three days left but I hope you can find some time to support me xpray

These are the six songs:

1. Modulaar - Dancing On The Roof

2. L I M - GAME OVER

3. Obree - Haze

4. Novanta - Outside Noise

5. Syrian - Supernova

6. Joan Thiele - Viso Blu

>>> Playlist <<<

How to vote?
No points system. Just send me your Top 6 ranking, I will calculate the average rank for all songs afterwards.
One more thing: I know how difficult it's sometimes to chose between two songs, so if you can't decide between two songs you can once include a shared rank in the ranking. Doesn't matter if it's two 1st places, two 2nd or two 5th places... whatever you want! xup

ENJOY! xcheer

ShoeFlo

I received five Votings so far. Thanks a lot to Fabi, Arion, Kai, Uto & Grinch

The ranking is quite close:
1. 15 (the lower, the better, since I count up the ranks)
2. 16
3. 17
4. 19
5. 19
6. 20

The current last placed song is really polarizing. It got two 1st places but also three last places which is why it's last now :LOL:

Anything can still happen. In all modesty I'd happy to get at least one more voting until tomorrow 17 CET xpray

ShoeFlo

Tonight I got three more votings by Gaelle (did I get your first name right?), SF and ferret xcheer Thanks for that!

Thanks also for the feedback beside the points, the comments on the songs or on the National Final in general.

I've got to mention Uto here who took his time to write a paragraph for each song so I could perfectly follow how he's got to his ranking. But ofc every single PM put a smile into my face. Considering how late I brought this NF online, I can be happy about eight votings xup

Btw, In the end it was a two-horse-race and before the last voting it was actually a tie... so the voting of ferret came in quite handy :D

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I've got to mention Uto here who took his time to write a paragraph for each song so I could perfectly follow how he's got to his ranking.

This is the only reason why some of us hold NFs. It's always a moment when bombarded with one of Uto's giant pms that brutally rip the songs on offer to shreds before a declaration at the end detailing how much he enjoyed the selection.

Gaelle (did I get your first name right?)

Pssssss it's Gaëlle. She likes that fancy ë in there.

ShoeFlo

::nwit WV 149: Joan Thiele - Viso Blu ::nwit

rf2vJXT.png

Lyrics

Click here for NF resluts

ShoeFlo

::nwit WV 150: Margherita Pirri - Le vent nous portera (The wind will carry us) ::nwit

A beautiful piano-driven cover version of a French hit by Noir Désir from 2001.
Did you know? While this is the first French language song I've sent to WV, I actually sent a couple French artists before. In WV62 when I was juror of the United States I sent Beach House whose lead singer Victoria Legrand is originally from France. In WV65 I sent the French masters of electronic/dream pop M83 which were eligible in USA as they're living in L.A. And finally when I was Scotland juror in WV91 I sent a collab of Elizabeth Fraser and Yann Tiersen. A song called "Mary". Probably the saddest entry I've ever sent. I also sent three Japanese artists before I eventually went to Kanto (Yoko Kanno, Akira Kosemura, Asobi Seksu) so I guess the French influences in my WV era can be considered an omen of me taking France one day soon.
Btw, it is kinda annoying that in this video the song ends abruptly. However, I liked the visuals of the video so I chose it nevertheless. It shouldn't bother you too much

Lyrics

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Doing a little return the favour here for you. I've ranked the 2021 whiteshoes entries xyes

01. :kant: Kow Otani - Hymn For J.G.
02. :kant: Ryuichi Sakamoto - The Sheltering Sky
03. :kant: Sumio & Emiko Shiratori - Yuugure
04. :kant: Maaya Sakamoto - Waiting For The Rain
05. :is: Sólveig Matthildur - The End
06. :is: aYia - Water Plant
07. :is: Gyða Valtýsdóttir - Moonchild
08. :kant: Meiko Kaji - The Flower Of Carnage
09. :kant: Cruyff In The Bedroom - Yasasihikari
10. :is: GusGus - Out Of Place
11. ::nwit Joan Thiele - Viso Blu
12. ::nwit Ludovico Einaudi - Primavera
13. ::nwit Margherita Pirri - Le vent nous portera
14. :kant: Taku Iwasaki - Il mare eterno nella mia anima
15. :kant: Kalafina - Manten
16. ::nwit Angelo Branduardi - La pulce d’acqua
17. :kant: Naoki Sato - Meda Ceremony Music (Tokyo 2020)

The top 3 being instrumentals (putting aside that Moomins AaaAaaAaaAaah fantasy) I think really highlights your strength. Hymn For J.G. is profoundly haunting. The Sheltering Sky is humongous and Yuugure is just delightfully charming. That one for sure has stuck in my head the most of all your entries this year and I think it was my favourite winning song (besides my own x). Listening back through these pieces and I really miss the atmosphere your Icelandic entries brought to the contest but you were getting robbed hard at the start of the year with them. I understand desiring a change of scenery.

Anyway, I hope 2022 is a nice year for you Flo and keep the good music rolling!

ShoeFlo

@RainyWoods thank you so much, I feel honoured xheart Nice to see you appreciate my robbed Iceland songs beside the Kanto gems I know you like a lot. I hope I can still win your heart with NW Italy, too. Anyway, Your post came too early though IOTAP cause I've prepared a big 2021 summary post inspired by the one you've created

Here it is:

Whiteshoes in 2021

sPArR3z.png

When I look at my stats of 2021, there wasn't a lot between top and flop. Mostly I either got a top result or flopped in the Semi Finals, but there is definitely a lack of results you could consider "decent" or "alright"

I started awfully into 2021 with four consecutive :is: flops. I found myself in situation in which I wanted to share a different side of Icelandic music scene, a more modern/electronic and even more alternative stuff than usually, but came to realize that the kind Icelandic songs I've been listening to in that time are hard to sell. If I sent all the Icelandic songs I used to listen in 2020 and beginning of 2021 I could have extended the streak of flops easily. Then, my last Icelandic entry by GusGus was a result of desperate unimaginativeness, the song is 'nice' but I should not have sent it.
I am happy about having sent aYia and Solveig, yet I feel like I chose the wrong songs of them. Instead of "Water plant" I should have sent the more intense and memorable "New Moon" and instead of "The End" I should have sent the catchy "Venus". From these four entries, "The End" is definitely my favorite.

About my :kant: stay I wrote a post once before when I said goodbye in the Kanto thread. In many regards it was my most succesful time in WV and a fantastic recovery from the bad results of my latest Iceland editions. It's great to prove I am also on of the cosmopolitan players who enjoys to represent places out of the western world and the time there certainly enhanced the sympathy I've always felt for Japan. During my researches, the percentage of discoveries I've actually enjoyed was higher than in other places I've been juror of. Having said that, my two favorites Japanese entries were some I've known before: The achingly beautiful piece "The Sheltering Sky" with this splendid orchestra and the Enka gem Shura No Hana by Meiko Kaji whose 11th place was a lovely surprise for me.

Despite my success I got a bit bored in Kanto then, so I've gone back to my paternal roots and to a country I've done well with in the past: Italy! Well... ::nwit this time. After four editions I am satisfied with how things are going. La Pulce d'acqua, although being old and a song I've known for many years, has as matters stand become my most listened song in 2021 and it is for sure
one of my favorite songs I've sent this year beside The End and the two Kanto songs I named before. Einaudis result surpassed my expectations too. Joan Thieles flop I anticipated but it was still annoying that my attempt to get out of the comfort zone was not rewarded but I took it as a good sign that I became 2nd in REJU voting. Pirri making the final is a big relief because I didn't wanna slip into another "crisis". I stay in NW Italy for one or two more editions. I know my next destination already but I keep it secret because it is something special and it means a lot to me. It will be a place that haven't been in WV before.

Biggest surprise: Winning with the Moomin song... it is soooo beautiful and nostalgic but in this competition it was pretty much a random win. Same level of surprise as for my first win with Kaleo in WV 45. Consequently, 2021 was the third consecutive year in which I've won the WV once, after three years of missing out (2016-2018).

Biggest disappointment: I didn't expect to miss the final with the Olympics anthem but I didn't feel sad because I kinda sent it on a whim and already during the voting period it was a little overplayed for my likings. However, I didn't have a truly shocking flop like for instance M83 in 2016, Julee Cruise in 2018 or Billie Eilish in 2019

In terms of Final percentage, 2021 was my second-worst year (59%). My worst year was 2017, when I qualified for only 50% of all finals.

but now the good stats: My Top 10 percentage was never better than this year (41%), and I've never ever before won four medals in a single year. Well... of course it could still become five, let's wait a few more days xcrazy

In order to celebrate this year I stole Kais idea of creating a recap of my 2021 entries:

ShoeFlo

::nwit WV 151: Nino Rota - A Time for Us ::nwit

GfX1JA7.png

A Time for Us
is a famous instrumental piece by the Milanese mastermind Nino Rota from 1968. It was created for Franco Zeffirellis filmic interpretation of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet starring Leonard Whiting and the indescribably cute Olivia Hussey. Zeffirellis interpretation is not only the closest one to the original theater piece but up to this day it is also considered the best Romeo and Juliet movie.

While for Zeffirelli the movie was probably the highlight of his career as film director, Nino Rota contributed soundtracks to many more famous movies. Amongst others, Rota was Federico Fellinis composer of choice and created the soundtrack for La dolce vita and 8 1/2 . But his most famous work, in my view at least, is the Godfather soundtrack whose theme is probably the first melody that comes into anybodys mind when thinking of Italian mafia (or more like the representation of Italian mafia organisations in hollywood tradition). In 1975 he won an Oscar for his Godfather II soundtrack. Only four years later he sadly died at an early age of 67 due to coronary thrombosis (ain't got anything to do with Corona)

Interestingly, this is not my first entry that's associated with Romeo and Juliet. In WV 91 me and Daniel as a double-jury sent the achingly beautiful piece Balcony Scene from the (much weaker) Romeo & Juliet movie of 1997. I cannot say I am a passcionate lover of Shakespeare and his works, it is simply a strange coincidence enabled through my WV destinations.

Now one thing is bothering me... The video I submitted was apparently overmodulated but for whatever reason I didn't realize before I was told in the LL and since then I can't ignore it either. I am really mad on myself. I re-uploaded it and asked Ashley to replace it. I hope he will do it as soon as he comes online the next time. And I hope until it's done, you either don't vote yet or just don't get bothered by the low-quality version (it's still beautiful). Or you gonna listen to the video I present you in this post. :D

ShoeFlo

Thanks for supporting Nino Rotas cheesy yet heartbreaking love theme xheat Not gonna lie: I expected to advance to the final based on previous results with similar kind of entries, nevertheless I did not take it for granted!

The song I've planned for WV 152 will be my last entry for NW Italy, I will go to a quite special place after that... special for myself, at least. You will probably react like "Mmmh.... okay" when you read it, but it will be a debuting region so it's gonna be a new splash of colour on the giant painting called Worldvision and I am exciting to take this step.

My WV 152 entry, I can tell you already, is gonna be a suggestion from one of the other jurors. I usually dont send suggestions (I usually steal songs from other users playlists and pretend like I found 'em through long researches) but in this case I will make an exception. xup

Top Bottom