Not knowing it’s what makes us
This is how we found our way
Now here I stand
There’s no pretend
My walls are down, my heart’s in your hand
Unchain my wings
And the oceans of tears will fade to black
With the song of my years ooooh-ooooh-ooooh

They all tried to break us (tried to break)
Not knowing it’s what makes us (they don’t know)
This is how we found our way (this is how we found our way)
(Here I stand)
My walls are down, my heart’s in your hand
(They all tried to break us
This is how we found our way)

There are times when I remember back
And all I do is smile
All for you

(They all tried to break us
And this is how we found our way)​

Last edited by a moderator:

DanielLuis

Seems like there was major controversy in North Macedonia because of Vasil standing next to those stripes with the Bulgarian flag's colours. People are saying that was some sort of political message because he has Bulgarian heritage or something like that?
Anyway, ridiculous people being ridiculous, nothing new to see here. Just hope MRT won't withdraw and pay a fine over something so incredibly stupid.

Mainshow

Veteran
This is getting ridiculous.

He apologised, they deleted that scene from the video. I don't see how the broadcaster needs to come up with a commission now to discuss wheter or not to continue particiapting in this year's Eurovision

@RainyWoods OMG, honey, have you seen this!?=!"?!?!

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member

the fan account posted this website as source.

"Macedonian Radio Television has yet to decide on this year's Eurovision representative. The public service says that an internal commission is analyzing the situation and will make a final decision these days.

"Macedonian Radio Television has established an internal commission, which reviews and analyzes all aspects arising from public reactions related to the Eurovision Song Contest. The public service broadcaster will also take into account the obligations noted in the participation license, as well as the obligations arising from the membership in the European Broadcasting Network, where MRT is an integral part of the public service association in the European Union. The public will be additionally informed about the final decision of MRT ", says Meri Popova, head of the Macedonian delegation of Eurovision at MRTV.

This comes after the stormy reactions of the public regarding Vasil Garvanliev and the video for the Eurovision song, in which several shots of a work of art in a museum with the colors of the Bulgarian flag were problematic. The video was withdrawn and a new version was released, but part of the public was "caught" for his dual citizenship.
Garvanliev apologized on social media to everyone who felt hurt.

"The moment I found out that people were affected and that work in the museum was misunderstood, I took a step, the video changed, they were torn off and we published it again. There is no politics in music, no race, no color. There is love, there is humanity, there is energy. If someone is hurt by what I did unintentionally, very accidentally, I apologize wholeheartedly. "I do not apologize for who I am, but if I have hurt anyone, whoever you are, forgive me," said Vasil Garvanliev.

For the third year in a row, Garvanliev is the representative of the country in Europe. In 2019 as an accompanying vocalist, and last year as a soloist. He has had a Bulgarian passport for 20 years and he said that publicly in an interview last year. As of today, a petition in support of Garvanliev has appeared on the Internet.

In the meantime, the reactions on the social networks do not subside, among which there are politicians with support, but also with criticism of Garvanliev.
While the petition for Vasil not to represent the country at the Eurovision Song Contest was signed by over 16,000 people in just one day, the petition in support of the mother Yildiz Veaposka, who lost three organs during childbirth, collected barely 11,000 signatures in five days."

From Google Translate

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
@Mainshow I have. Poor Vasil. I'm not so much into his song this year but he doesn't deserve all of this that's happening to him right now. All this drama over three panels of different colours hanging on a wall that are only briefly seen in a music video. Vasil seems the sweetest man with the kindest heart. I couldn't imagine him wanting to hurt a fly. I feel so sad for him.

joao

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I agree this has escalated rather quickly. And IMO makes no sense. People always find a way to have some political issue with entries. I get the Belarus scandal obviously but most of the times I just think it makes no sense. CAN'T WE ALL JUST UNITE TROUGH MUSIC?? GOD!

Poor Vasil... I'm also not a fan of his song but no one deserves this. I'm getting :ro: 2016/:ua:2010 vibes and I ain't happy with what is happening.

Mainshow

Veteran
@Mainshow I have. Poor Vasil. I'm not so much into his song this year but he doesn't deserve all of this that's happening to him right now. All this drama over three panels of different colours hanging on a wall that are only briefly seen in a music video. Vasil seems the sweetest man with the kindest heart. I couldn't imagine him wanting to hurt a fly. I feel so sad for him.
Same here! This is so frustrating! - After being part of the backing singers in 2019, he finally got the chance to represent his country last year but Covid-19 and the €BU took it away from him and now, even though his song is almost as bad as the German entry, some stupid "patriotic people" sign a petition and make the broadcaster form a commission to decide whether he is "Macedonian" enough because of three randomnly chosen colours on a wall in a museum!

I mean, in which museum was it shot? Wasn't it in Skopje anyway?
Maybe the should discuss the museum's choice of colours instead of Vasil's participation.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I also didn't know that it's such a big issue to be a Bulgarian in Macedonia? like I knew they had some issues, but didn't know it was that deep and I'm saying that as a Balkan man (or rather boy hhaha)

Mimmon

Veteran
Posting my opinion about current situation is here aswell

Sometimes people don't realize that its just song but yet they point out at something they don't like it and makes a scene over and wants a drama in their lifes.... Amount of hate he gets its pathetic.... I feel sorry Vasil and his team that worked so hard but still people make a drama....

I know there is ''beef'' history between North Macedonia and Bulgaria but still its song competition about Peace and joy but still people love drama so much.....

I guess the drama makes more entertaiment but still sad...

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Well, for once it's not beef between Greece and them lol, looks like they moved on onto a new rival. This is such an idiotic outrage, like what, the Macedonian nationalists' ego is so fragile that they can't even look at three random panels resembling the flag of their neighbour without frothing at their mouths? This is childish, even for Balkan politics.

I wouldn't lose much since this is literally my last place right now, but withdrawing because of this would be a big mistake.

A-lister

Veteran
Wait, so Macedonian nationalists are triggered by apparently just some art hanging in the background with the colors of the Bulgarian flag in the video (which was then taken out from the product), but not by the fact that the song is shit and not a well reflective of neither Macedonian music (or frankly the artist himself even)? xshrug

I mean I am all for them being angry about the song choice and the fact that the broadcaster didn't even involve the public in any shape or form with the choice... that I would get behind... but this!? xshrug

Last edited:

94ayd

I also didn't know that it's such a big issue to be a Bulgarian in Macedonia? like I knew they had some issues, but didn't know it was that deep and I'm saying that as a Balkan man (or rather boy hhaha)
Unfortunately, N. Macedonia doesn't want to recognise any Bulgarian minority in their country, even though we could argue a majority has Bulgarian ancestry, but I'm not going any further into this, as this is not the appropriate thread or subforum to discuss such matters. :)

Pål Nordahl

So... North Macedonia might withdraw from Eurovision because some people were insulted after projecting their own insecurities onto a random assortment of colors on a piece of artwork in the background of a section of a music video? Ridiculous.

It’s almost like they realize how embarrassing the song is and will try anything to keep it off the stage in Rotterdam.

Last edited:
Top Bottom