7 6.7%

4 3.8%

4 3.8%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
North-Macedonia-scaled.jpg

ayzelto

North Macedonia was on the right way, but not this year. I wanted to give it a second chance as I was doubtful after the first listen, but no. In such a strong semi 1, there's no way this will qualify. 2 points.

MalagaToledo

Banned
In such a strong semi 1, there's no way this will qualify.
My opinion and I might be wrong is that when ppl say this is a stronger semi, it doesn't generally mean with great hits, but that In that semi are placed countries who usually do well in ESC because of various reasons. Australia, Sweden, Russia, Norway...
For example I cannot connect with Swedish and Norwegian song, but I wouldn't be surprised if they qualify.

Mimi

Off Topic: Song and singer which is giving me goosebumps... the one and only Kaliopi, check 2:17:00

Brandt

He talks too much and he is really cringey on the EHC video.

MalagaToledo

Banned
Someone in the reviews said if this is uptempo dancy song, how can he have microphone that is wrapped on the face behind the ear. And im like what? Have you seen Eurovision. There were so many fancy songs that they dance and didn't have mic that u hold in the hand. For example Helena Paparazzi. You are my number one and so many more. :rolleyes:

aef

Actually this is one of my biggest growers (I especially like the starting part and the bridge at the end) and I really wonder how this would have worked out at Eurovision... It might have been a televote dark horse with decent staging. I'm already very curious about his 2021 song!

tuorem

My review:

NORTH MACEDONIA 2020 - Vasil Garvanliev - You: "I sit on the fence..."

Oh boy, what a track record FYR Macedonia got this decade! Only qualifying once with Kaliopi back in 2012... With a fresh name and efforts put on a complete package, North Macedonia managed to achieve its best result to date last year, which was a bit surreal to witness imo. I will not disparage Tamara Todevska and what she did - because those live performances worked their magic - but I will just say that "Proud" was not very special for me personally. I wish she had defended a song like "Brod Shto Tone", whose vibe was much more to my liking. But what is done is done, and I'm glad for Macedonian eurofans: the results probably were a thrill for them :) hey @Stiven ! xkiss The thing when a great result happens is how to handle the next edition and imo the trap to avoid is to send a sequel of the previous entry; they could have sent "Proud part 2" and yet they didn't, which I was happy about.

As one may imagine, there is a "but" coming :LOL: I thought selecting Garganliev was an interesting choice for he seemed vocally-skilled and had an artistic personality judging by the few songs I heard from him. Well, it turned out that the final product did not really reflect that imo: I wholeheartedly agree with r3gg13's comment above. "You" is not devoid of merits per se, it's an electro-pop tune with hints of organic instruments (yay to accordion! am I tripping or is there dulcimer in there too?) and a vibe that set it apart from the rest of the lineup. The work on beats, the oriental flavour at times and the fact it tries to remain non-linear throughout the composition are arguments I cannot ignore, so I think it just comes down to the personal impression that I have: firstly, I can't put my finger on why it gives me mid-00's Eurovision vibes, which in this instance is a bit of a turn-off; secondly, despite the craftsmanship behind the arrangements, the song still feels linear to me and it seems longer than it is; thirdly, I'm aware that I'm a basic "language b!tch", but I think Vasil's voice sounds better in Macedonian... And since he normally sings in his language, it's a shame for it not to be showcased here. So neither lyrically nor linguistically the song is elevated imo.

Prediction-wise, I assume it would have stayed in the semi because it's not mainstream enough to be unifying and at the same time not original enough to be arresting. It's not bad in any way, but it lacks impact and ultimately leaves me rather cold imo.

I'm not sure what will happen next year, but I'd love Vasil to come back. I just wish he would send something more ballsy. I won't ask for Macedonian language because... no, forget it! I am asking for it actually! :LOL: VASIL I KNOW YOU ARE READING THIS THREAD UNDERCOVER, I DEMAND THAT YOU DON'T RESTRAIN YOURSELF, JUST GO FOR THAT PIECE OF ART AND SHOW US YOUR LYRICAL VOICE! Period.

"Jas Ja Imam Silata", "Crno i Belo", "To The Sky" and "Dance Alone" were my jams, I am ready to stan North Macedonia again. Fingers crossed for them succeeding in shutting my bad-mouthing mouth xrofl While writing all these reviews, I feel like such a demanding snob, oh Lord! xfacepalmGrowing older is ugly!

Milos-BC

I like this song, I like it much more than the 2021 entry. It was very underrated in the polls and I actually believe he had a chance of doing surprisingly well. Maybe not end as high as Tamara, but he had a chance of doing well. This year, I'm not so optimistic :(

7 points.

Top Bottom