11 8.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Mildly interesting, this could be up my alley like last year. I hope they continue to sing in Dutch.

0scar

Mildly interesting, this could be up my alley like last year. I hope they continue to sing in Dutch.

Pretty sure they won't, at least that would surprise me immensely based on the couple of interviews I've seen of them today

I don't know them and I didn't expect AVROTROS to announce our entrant this early. I'm curious to hear their song but.. well tbh they don't grab my attention at all so saying that I'm curious to hear their song is only based on the fact that it is the Dutch entry lol

Reinventor

I've listened to a couple of their individual songs, and I like them. I'm intrigued to what hear what they've come up with. I expect a quality entry at least.

A-lister

Veteran
So I guess 2022 was an exception from the rule and we're back to those Americanized entries?

Let's see...

heke1988

Aww, she has diagnosed breast cancer, but luckily her prognosis is very good.

Good news: Her cancer surgery went well and now she is going to recovery.(y)

ESC_Peggy

I get bad vibes from Duncan Laurence he seems to like being the centre of attention. It happened with WDIA with Rosa Linn where he was referred to as a ‘global star’ helping to launch her career (really?), this and he’s now a ESC panel member for… Belgium? The fact that the Netherlands feel the need to promote him over the other songwriters and the actual artists is a big minus for me. Arcade had 3 other songwriters.

You know something is fishy as soon as they need to mention “Duncan didn’t influence the committee’s choice”.

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
I get bad vibes from Duncan Laurence he seems to like being the centre of attention. It happened with WDIA with Rosa Linn where he was referred to as a ‘global star’ helping to launch her career (really?), this and he’s now a ESC panel member for… Belgium? The fact that the Netherlands feel the need to promote him over the other songwriters and the actual artists is a big minus for me. Arcade had 3 other songwriters.

You know something is fishy as soon as they need to mention “Duncan didn’t influence the committee’s choice”.

Duncan has some alright stuff apart from Arcade , but nothing as good though and most have been pretty mediocre. To me he comes across as the Dutch Måns Zelmerlöw in a sense.

Someone from the Netherlands can confirm if his music is commercially successful or not, but if it's anything similar to Måns post-ESC then it's boosting up a name that really isn't doing that good.

Mainshow

Veteran
Duncan has some alright stuff apart from Arcade , but nothing as good though and most have been pretty mediocre. To me he comes across as the Dutch Måns Zelmerlöw in a sense.

Someone from the Netherlands can confirm if his music is commercially successful or not, but if it's anything similar to Måns post-ESC then it's boosting up a name that really isn't doing that good.

He´s really struggling (when it comes to commerical success) [I´m not from the Netherlands but I was really into Duncan´s music for a while).

The thing is that the quality of his music has significantly dropped since he started to work with his fiancé. Instead of focussing on melodies, harmonies and way to make his beautiful voice shine, he somehow makes use of vocoder effects to hide it and all of his latest music is basically just "background" noise.
I really enjoyed the singles prior the release of his album (which didn´t even hit the Dutch Top 5 which was quite a letdown for a Eurovision winner with a #1 single in the country, in my opinion). It´s just that his music has shifted towards the "poor Los Angeles singer-songwriter territory".. but he´s fine with it because he thinks that it´s kinda cool, chill and Spotify-ish?

Honestly, I think he´s following Loreen´s path (whose sophomore album was a horrible collection of vocoder effects and unnecessarily artsy-fartsy tracks).

Mans is a different case because even his Eurovision entry was rather dull and generic.
Loreen and Duncan had a really good start (and the potential) to become bigger stars, at least...

ESC94

He´s really struggling (when it comes to commerical success) [I´m not from the Netherlands but I was really into Duncan´s music for a while).

The thing is that the quality of his music has significantly dropped since he started to work with his fiancé. Instead of focussing on melodies, harmonies and way to make his beautiful voice shine, he somehow makes use of vocoder effects to hide it and all of his latest music is basically just "background" noise.
I really enjoyed the singles prior the release of his album (which didn´t even hit the Dutch Top 5 which was quite a letdown for a Eurovision winner with a #1 single in the country, in my opinion). It´s just that his music has shifted towards the "poor Los Angeles singer-songwriter territory".. but he´s fine with it because he thinks that it´s kinda cool, chill and Spotify-ish?

Honestly, I think he´s following Loreen´s path (whose sophomore album was a horrible collection of vocoder effects and unnecessarily artsy-fartsy tracks).

Mans is a different case because even his Eurovision entry was rather dull and generic.
Loreen and Duncan had a really good start (and the potential) to become bigger stars, at least...

I read somewhere that in :se: he´s nowadays considered a "trash" celebrity more in the news because of his private life rather than for his music which is also not that successful anymore.

Don´t know if it´s true though. xshrug

A-lister

Veteran
I read somewhere that in :se: he´s nowadays considered a "trash" celebrity more in the news because of his private life rather than for his music which is also not that successful anymore.

Don´t know if it´s true though. xshrug

It's true, after winning Eurovision Måns didn't have any hit song and had to rely on being a TV host and doing commercials instead.

0scar

I believe the general feeling of the public about Duncan Laurence in the Netherlands is that we do not think about him at all

But I wouldn't be surprised if that is not the case in the ESC selection committee, I mean it all feels a little incrowd-ish and I don't like it all. Please Duncan just be happy with your fiancé and make music you like but stop appearing in all these selection shows and do not become a Måns 2.0!! (coming from someone who loved him in the first place but doesn't like him at all now)

A-lister

Veteran
Okay, now I understand why he appeared this often at Eurovision, because he had to earn money. xrofl

Yeah, singing his Hero on all these Eurovision events is like a lifeline for him.

I mean he was hosting the popular annual music show Allsång på Skansen here in Sweden for some years, which certainly brought some pretty good income because it's one of the most prestigious hosting gigs one can get in Swedish TV together with hosting Eurovision which he did as well.

He also put his name on some series of Cava drinks you can buy in Swedish state monopoly alcohol stores. But all of these extra jobs come across as a bit desperate and obviously he wouldn't have to rely on them had he had a music career people actually bothered about.

There is almost a sort of bad omen winning Eurovision. Loreen for instance had so much potential and is a nobody now (but with her I understand it as if she's complicated to work with as well which has turned off a lot of people).

ESC94

Yeah, singing his Hero on all these Eurovision events is like a lifeline for him.

I mean he was hosting the popular annual music show Allsång på Skansen here in Sweden for some years, which certainly brought some pretty good income because it's one of the most prestigious hosting gigs one can get in Swedish TV together with hosting Eurovision which he did as well.

He also put his name on some series of Cava drinks you can buy in Swedish state monopoly alcohol stores. But all of these extra jobs come across as a bit desperate and obviously he wouldn't have to rely on them had he had a music career people actually bothered about.

There is almost a sort of bad omen winning Eurovision. Loreen for instance had so much potential and is a nobody now (but with her I understand it as if she's complicated to work with as well which has turned off a lot of people).

I see. What do you think went wrong for him??

A-lister

Veteran
I see. What do you think went wrong for him??

I think he didn't keep up with the Swedish music trends, he continued releasing these pretty generic MF-Pop songs in English and that's not what Swedes really listen to, it only works once a year with MF but for acts that continue down that route, they struggle.

Most popular commercial music in Sweden these days is in Swedish for starters, apart for some exceptions and dance/EDM music.

Mainshow

Veteran
I believe the general feeling of the public about Duncan Laurence in the Netherlands is that we do not think about him at all

But I wouldn't be surprised if that is not the case in the ESC selection committee, I mean it all feels a little incrowd-ish and I don't like it all. Please Duncan just be happy with your fiancé and make music you like but stop appearing in all these selection shows and do not become a Måns 2.0!! (coming from someone who loved him in the first place but doesn't like him at all now)

I fully agree with you (and also said something similar).

To be fair, it´s just the 2nd time that he´s involved (apart from the French selection?) or am I mistaken?
I don´t mind him showing his face now and then but it somehow feels wrong that he´s heavily involved in both - the Dutch and Belgian preselections this year.

Ezio

Veteran
A pity the Vengaboys got ditched yet again

Top Bottom