We are the birth of a new age

Yu no man broko mi
Yu no man broko mi
Yu no man broko, broko mi
Mi na afu sensi​

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
The African lyrics as sung by that backup vocal ensemble lifts the song just to the right place. This song is head and shoulders above so many selected so far, and should be among the contenders for a nice top 10 finish.
They're not "african lyrics" though. They are in a South-American creole (Sranan Tongo), that is loosely based on Dutch.

Euterpa

I liked Grow. It was soulful, what I like. It was quite slow, but it had a nice build up and with good staging, I could see it doing well. This is just flat like the Netherlands. :(

I'm a bit surprised that not even that many backing singers managed to lift the song up a bit. Shame.

Ezio

Veteran
This will become the typical host result. Probably the most boring host entry ever. Cant stop snoring and waiting til it’s over.

crashworld

Veteran
Well.. If you have no interest in hosting the Eurovision twice in a row, this is definitely the way to do it.
Well, they have learnt from Israel isn't it.

Sorry, while I get this song pay tributes to his roots and shows his authenticity as an artist (or whatever), I have no desire to listen to it again. I am giving this song a :1:. And I am going to put it out there, even Germany's entry this year is better.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Massive downgrade from last year, :nl: was in my top 10 and this year it won't be anywhere near that. However, I appreciate the African element of this song, kinda reminds me of Baba Yetu. As far as host entries go though, it's decent I guess.

:4: points.

Preuss

Disappointing... though I do like the African elements but the words that sound like broccoli

Anthony Tesla

Honestly? I kinda like it more or less the same as Grow, and I liked it Grow a lot (a completely underrated song, and I still lament that entry couldn't be performed on a big stage).

It's just so... joyful, full of spark, and a very legit optimism: not the fake one of "we're going to overcome this, we're all in this together"; it's specific, and sometimes when you aim to be specific, you can touch places you weren't expected. I'm a 30 something Mexican-Jewish guy, and this somehow spoke deeply to me.

Perfect? No, but... still pretty good! 10/12.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
why is this so low? :lol: a fair :7: thanks to the second half of the chorus alone.

It will most likely flop indeed, but it's nowhere as bad as you claim it to be.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Anybody else heard "your know my broccoli"?
Everyone did.

It's sad that people mock it so... rudely. Like, people in the Moldova stream were gloatfully being like "LOLOL BROCCOLI IT SUCKS HA HA HA". It's so unworthy. It makes me sad to just think about it. :cry:

(although it is another great example of Dutch pedantry at Eurovision. Can these people not try to imagine what a casual, lowbrow fan will see and think upon hearing the song? Christ.)

Sammy

Veteran
Everyone did.

It's sad that people mock it so... rudely. Like, people in the Moldova stream were gloatfully being like "LOLOL BROCCOLI IT SUCKS HA HA HA". It's so unworthy. It makes me sad to just think about it. :cry:

(although it is another great example of Dutch pedantry at Eurovision. Can these people not try to imagine what a casual, lowbrow fan will see and think upon hearing the song? Christ.)
You know, that's one of the occasions where I mishear the lyrics from the very first time on... It's really really an obvious trap. Like the time a tyrolian airline thought to be smart and name themselves "Austrian Arrows". From the first time the flight attendant greeted them through the speakers, EVERYONE just heard "Austrian Errors".

Back to the song. I preferred Grow but this one is also quite good. I need a few more listenings to finally make up my mind, but for the moment I'd put it near or in my top 10.

Looren

Veteran
YES ! Jeangu sending another masterpiece !

Grow was better but still a :12: !

Top Bottom