Yu no man broko mi
Yu no man broko mi
Yu no man broko, broko mi
Mi na afu sensi​

Last edited by a moderator:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
So we continue the trend of meh hosting entries. We get it, NL really don't want to win. I also despise Broccoli. This leaves absolute 0 impression on me tbh. In fact typing this i've forgot it almost entirely. For that I'm going with :1:

ag89

Grow was my NO 1 last year. This is not there, but I have to admit I like it. The song is uplifting, the last minute really has a potential to create mood that might take the Netherlands somewhere. It' s a risky move and I appreciate it. On the other hand, they selected the song true to the artists so to me that is a plus.

Iker

Veteran
This is lame but slightly less forgettable than 'Grow' was. It is dreadful though for me.

hijirio

Veteran
Placing this above Germany and Spain solely for the fact that it has lyrics in a rare language.

Mainshow

Veteran
:3: for me now and I'm generous now. I will probably downgeade it depending on the studii version of the song.

I like the uplifting nature of the song and it's great that he brings some diversity to Eurovison (genre, another language) but overall, I think this entry is very weak.

"Grow" was part of my Top 10 last year... This song will probably be part of my Bottom 5.

Ianp16

Nice singalong chorus. Does sound like broccoli. Cheerful. Un-Eurovision sounding. Wouldn't be something I would listen to but maybe hum along to at the supermarket. 5 points.

Loindici

Veteran
I love the universal hate this forum has on the song, but TBH I kind of like it... sort of?

The verses have RnB elements in it, and I LOVE RnB. However, I'm not digging the other parts of the song as much as the verses. I don't know what to think about the chorus in Sranan Tongo, it's unique but the instrumentation for it is really static as all of it stays in one chord, one beat, one line, no variations given whatsoever.

The overall vibe is appropriate for an adult contemporary radio, though, which unfortunately means it's rather an inoffensive entry. I can still see some points from the juries or the older televoters. I would say since Disney has ruined me it sounds like something Beyoncé would record for The Lion King. I'll give a :6: for now.

midnightsun

Veteran
This screams last place...

Okay, I AM biased because I truly LOVED Grow last year. What I loved most about Grow was his calm voice, he was radiating calmness. Listening to Grow felt like a long hot bath and wrapping in a blanket afterwards. So satisfying, so comforting, you wanted to hug the world.

His new song with the much too long songtitle is just... the cold bath water after you‘ve been in it for an hour and pull the plug of the tub.

It doesn’t awake any kind of reaction in me. Yes, I appreciate the foreign language. I might change my opinion about this but it felt he moved and sang a bit half-hearted. He doesn’t have the same laid back attitude as last year. Well, different kind of song of course but very bland.

tuorem

Oh well. I genuinely hoped the Dutch would change their orientation this year: they kind of did, but it's still not for me. :(

First of all, I very very rarely get into songs with gospel-ish choirs. And like "Grow", it lacks a melody to leave an impression on me. I don't think that one-line hook will be enough for televoters to vote for them en masse.

There is not much to say about it imo, only juries could save it from oblivion. It's like the "rhythmic" counterpart of "Amen".

On a positive note, Jeangu can sing and he seems to be happy. As far as I am concerned, I believe he was capable of proposing a much better effort, which is a shame.

I did not care about "Grow" and yet, it was stronger than this imo. :1: point for them vocals.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I liked Grow last year. It was in my top 10. Not that I wanted another Grow cause I actually very much did not. I was hoping Jeangu would tap into his more upbeat soul side this time. Birth of a New Age though is not it. Everything here is so middling. What's to get excited about?

:5: for being tolerable and Jeangu's lovely voice, and I suppose hearing lyrics from a creole language at Eurovision is something to be celebrated. I like that addition. Other than that though, there's nothing here really to grab a hold of. It's pleasant but I'd like more than that.

daniels1000

"Grow" was indeed my biggest grower last year, and it was probably even in my Top 3 in the end.

This is such a disappointment :( I love broccoli, but sadly not Jeangu's ones

I mean it's decent but that's all. :5: or something

pjelacki

nothing special but better than people make it out to be

:5: (including +1 bonus for choice of original language and the fact I really like broccoli)

will probably still be #23-26 in the final

gingerale

Oh I don't like it. I even prefer Germany over this, because at least you can throw bucketloads of shade on Germany. But this is like a Hair vs Lion King musical mash-up. AND I HATE MUSICALS. xmad

I bims

Veteran
So I've heard it a few times now. Still can't remember anything other then "Broccoli". But I give them a :1: because I think Jeangu has a lot of charm and I respect them for using an uncommon language.

I don't know why the host countries always have go with a sure last place entry though. You haven't won in ages, don't pretend sending something decent again would make you the winner a second year in a row so easily.

I even prefer Germany over this, because at least you can throw bucketloads of shade on Germany.
Love you too, babes :whistle:

Top Bottom