Yu no man broko mi
Yu no man broko mi
Yu no man broko, broko mi
Mi na afu sensi​

Last edited by a moderator:

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
The second part is really uplifting, it just takes a little too much to build up to that :(
I think I'll give a vote tonight, I'd hate to see this song ending last, it's not competitive but a totally decent host entry.

mauve

Veteran
I actually like the song. but don't like the performance too much. But I hope that people will vote for it as well. It's an underrated entry!

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
the zero points that was the most unfair imo. South America is proud of you sis we would vote for you if we could xcry

bstream

I remember being immediately captivated by the rawness of this entry when it was first revealed, and then equally seeing its immediate dismissal by many fans and eventually the oddsmakers. I didnt come in to the rehearsals period with the highest hopes and the results after the final unfortunately panned out as predicted.

This entry proved to nevertheless be a beautiful one. It was staged and presented as passive-aggressively not European. It tells the story of a young Surinamese man grappling with, and ultimately finding power in, his identity as a son and descendant of slaves. He calls out Europe directly in a poignant way, directly from his soul and channeling the souls that came before him.

I don’t know how the future will judge it, but it feels potentially like one of those entries that finishes in 20-something place but we look back on it in several years as a really consequential protest and message song.

The Netherlands didn’t need to present a challenging and risky entry, but they did it anyway. And that deserves respect and acknowledgment.

LakZaNokte

Horrible entry, it was a 0 from my first listening.

Got way too many pts, more than it deserved.

hawadharma

Like I said in the other thread, it was unfortunate that this is a host entry,.
It certainly does not deserve 0 televotes.

I find the subject of the song, and how it is presented is very fitting.

I can see this featured in a Disney movie.

Ezio

Veteran
Goddammit, just 11 jury points and ZERO televotes.... this deserved so much better! Out of all the results this year, this makes me most mad!
Looks like the worst host result now.

i was gutted in 2015 when Makemakes bombed, but they got 40 points from juries in the last year of combined results

now it became quite usual for hosts to bomb but I felt very embarrassed for my country back then

Gitte

While it wouldn't do well anyway, I think the choice of fragment in the recap was partly at fault here. It didn't stand out whatsoever while the song had some nice points, at a certain point I didn't even realize the netherlands was already shown in the recap. It seemed to go from Norway straight to Italy.

Brandt

The entry has been underrated from its release. So it is no big shocker. But it doesn't change the fact that he deserved much better than that. People just didn't get the authenticity of the song.

ag89

I assume this was just too foreign for an average European voter... But even juries didn't go for this. I don't know, I watched with friends and we all liked the song very much. It did sound like a proper interval act rather than a song for the actual competition.

Miloutchi

The song just wasn’t good enough. Jeangu is really likable and his voice is magic, but that’s about it.
Where were the bloc voting points from :be: ??? The least you'd could do after us not letting you perform 2nd was giving us some jury or televoting points come on wat hebben we nou weer hier aan zuiderburen
I’m Dutch and living in Belgium and I didn’t even vote for Jeangu haha.

The song was just too different, not appealing to the tastes of Europeans, I suppose.

To be fair, we didn’t give any points to Belgium either. :ROFLMAO:

toinou03

That was a great Host entry, but nothing for a European compétition. But I'm glad Jeangu could deliver his message.
Incedible message : France Télévisions would Never send such a song. It would start a civil War ! So kudos for Dutch spirit.

martin

Credit to The Netherlands for sending something diffirent, but this was like Stella in 2011. African songs don,t go well in EUROVISION. Still think this should get some points.

A-lister

Veteran
The song just wasn't good and was pretty much dead on arrival , I am still a bit annoyed at hosts 2017- almost purposely picking entries that are like bottom 5 material, like I get it that they don't want to win a second year in a row due to financial reasons, but the probability of doing so is very low anyways and I think you can still at least try with something more "listenable", at least not total bores? xshrug

Also, why do hosts insist to sing in English? Like now if anything you have the opportunity to showcase your language and country, it is all very odd choices to me.

The guy seems sympathetic though, and I find his voice pretty interesting, but the song (and also last year's entry) is just melodically flat and uneventful. People praise it for being "different", but all I was hearing was something which sounded like "flat gospel" xshrug

Last edited:

Ewigkeit

Veteran
This is the only entry (except for female bops) I have been listening to for 3-4 days, 0 points from the public is a crime.

Top Bottom