Contact us

National Final Song Contest

Romeo

I've been thinking for a while about a new contest. It's using national final songs that didn't make it to Eurovision. We can't send NF songs to NSC / WV / FSC (not sure about the rules of FSC but I just assume) so I thought it would be a good way to put NF songs to the challenge

Anyone think it would work or just me?

LastDreamer

Banned
As :lt: mentor in Worldvision, I like to represent :lt: in new contest too. xcheer

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
I am definitely supportive of this idea. You'd have to establish a few rules and guidelines before we can proceed with it. Maybe that is even something that can be added to the NF 2018 section.

Romeo

I am definitely supportive of this idea. You'd have to establish a few rules and guidelines before we can proceed with it. Maybe that is even something that can be added to the NF 2018 section.

The ideas I had would either be:

1. Create a nation (like NSC) and songs are sent but only NF songs
or
2. You have a country (like WV) and can only send NF songs from that country
or
3. You have a country (ie. Macedonia) but you are the HoD and you can select any song from any country's NF ever

If a few people were interested in running it we could get together and through a few ideas around and get some rules in place and work out the format

Jukica

(Retired) Admin
I agree that this is a nice idea :D like [MENTION=4364]Matt[/MENTION] said, there are rules and guidelines that need to be established (not all of them since it's impossible to define every possible scenario), but all of that can easily be ready until the beginning of ESC 2018 season

There is enough time now, so everything can be planned and discussed

Feel free to PM me if you need help with ideas or anything else :D

LastDreamer

Banned
2. You have a country (like WV) and can only send NF songs from that country
Vote for this option + Eurovision songs are also available. I want to see small countries (Luxembourg, San Marino, Andorra, Monaco) in new contest.

Will we have any special rule for Sweden, something like "change the mentor after each 3 editions" ?

One edition per month like other three big forum contests have.

Romeo

Vote for this option + Eurovision songs are also available. I want to see small countries (Luxembourg, San Marino, Andorra, Monaco) in new contest.

Will we have any special rule for Sweden, something like "change the mentor after each 3 editions" ?

One edition per month like other three big forum contests have.

I'm thinking if we have too many 'special circumstances' it could confuse things. plus if we have ESC songs, I think it would totally dominate the contest. I think a way to get around this could be if we have a special edition every now and then using ESC songs. I do agree it would be nice to have the smaller nations represented but I think it would cause too much confusion. Maybe that is just my opinion. I think if we worked together and came up with a set of basic rules and see what people think?

Romeo

My idea would be:

Select a country
Send NF songs from that country
Vote ESC style (1-8, 10, 12)
Winner hosts

The issue with this is that if someone picks Andorra for example they literally have about 10 songs, so they could only participate 10 times and if all countries were taken then they cannot play anymore.

Maybe if we used my 3rd option:
3. You have a country (ie. Macedonia) but you are the HoD and you can select any song from any country's NF ever

it would make it easier because if you just wanted to send from a certain country you could but others wouldn't be restricted

but I dont want to make the decision, I would like others to have an opinion

LastDreamer

Banned
My idea would be:
Select a country
Winner hosts

I like and agree with all these rules. ;)

Eulaliya

I'm supportive of this idea! That would get us beyond the seasonal Festival de National.

About the sending of entries, videos of live performances are optional but encouraged (as there are NF songs which performances aren't available on Youtube for some reason, only in audio format and in music-videos).
About the eligibility of entries, rejected NF (and ESC) entries and those involved in internal selection are acceptable.
Perhaps we could allow Sanremo entries in this contest?

LastDreamer

Banned
Sometimes the quality of live versions is very bad, so I don't have anything against a participantion with studio versions / videoclips.

Other music forums use the rule "San Remo entries are allowed, but only for years when Italy was a participant in ESC".

Romeo

So the rules to add on from before:

Select a country
Winner hosts

1. When live performances are available they should be used (so songs that were entered to ASFE on Radio 2 there were 8 songs but only 4 made the televised shows etc.)
2. Contests like FiK and San Remo are allowed but only when the countries were participating in Eurovision

Possible things to think about:

1. What should we do about songs that were disqualified (example. Born in Bielorussia), should we allow that because technically it was a NF song...???
2. JESC NF songs allowed?
3. What do we do if a country fails to vote?

I think if any new scenarios come about we can make a group decision as to what we do about it

JChan

I've been lurking on this thread for a while now, I guess now is a better time than ever to contribute my opinion..
Select a country
The issue with this is that if someone picks Andorra for example they literally have about 10 songs, so they could only participate 10 times and if all countries were taken then they cannot play anymore.
I think this is a really important issue, some countries (like Sweden) will have a much better pool of songs to choose from. To alleviate this issue I think we should have a mandatory draw ever few editions OR allow multiple jurors for a country. Anyone else have any other suggestions??

2. JESC NF songs allowed?
I personally think so. The more songs the merrier :D

LastDreamer

Banned
Possible options :
1. We can have 2 or even 3 Sweden in each edition.
2. We can use the regions too, not only countries (watch Worldvision).
3. We can add special rule "change the mentor every 3 editions" for Sweden
4. We can have a special lottery for all persons, who wants to take Sweden in each edition of NFSC.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
I haven't been around much (summer break) but I'm back. Feel free to chat amongst each other. Once you have come up with a contest, feel free to contact Jukica and myself. We obviously can't host another contest, Forum Leadership that is, but active Forum members are always welcome.

Romeo

I'm moving more toward the idea of having the person as the Head of Delegation - I say this because I think it would lower the confusion and would allow anyone to send any NF song because people who want to send songs just from 1 country can for those who want songs from different countries have the option to.

Example:
I am Malta and I can select any NF song from any country to use as the Maltese song, so I could pick Chris D. Morton "Every Dead Soldier" (a Belgian NF song) but it would become a Maltese entry in our contest.

I just think having a rule saying "If you are Sweden you can only send 3 songs as Sweden" they may just give up because they don't want to change

When you say regions, do you mean only singers from that region can be sent or they can send any song from Melodifestivalen?

Jukica

(Retired) Admin
Hey, a quick bump/follow-up :D

Me and Romeo are planning to continue with discussions about this, so feel free to post any ideas

Let's hope that we can get this ready until the beginning of ESC 2018 season, so that we can maybe add it to ESC 2018 section :D

Top Bottom